Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

To buy a garmin or not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

To buy a garmin or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 02:38 PM
giantdefy
The "Mechanic"

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac SL4 Pro; 2011 Lynskey Cooper, 2015 BH Quartz Disc, 2014 Yeti SB75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool thing about the garmin is that if you ride on the same route frequently, you can download the data to your computer and it will show you exactly on a map where you rode and lets you compare your rides. Some days I want to know how quick I went up a certain section compared to my previous ride and what my heart rate and cadence for that certain part of the ride is. Great tool for training IMO. Another cool feature is that you can load your previous ride and race against yourself. Lets you know if your ahead or falling back. I have the Edge 705 btw. So many features, its insane! Hell yeah its expensive, but dont regret buying one.
Old 12-28-10, 03:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Power meters are very expensive. Personally, I'd wait until a few pedal-based ones hit the market in a year or two.
In a lot of situations (you're going to buy a downloadable computer for training purposes and willing to buy used, or are buying a downloadable computer and are also adding another wheel) power meters are almost inexpensive enough to be an impulse purchase.

The Edge 500 with heart rate and cadence runs $250-$300 depending on what sort of sales deal you can get.

Used early Cycleops Powertaps built into wheels can be found for $250 with computer, download cable, and heart rate transmitter. That's somewhere between even with the Garmin and $50 less. Used Edge 500s aren't really any cheaper than new ones which are on sale. While the Little Yellow Computer isn't as sexy as a Garmin, it provides information on anaerobic intervals which you can't get from heart rate.

New 2011 Powertap Comp hubs with computer, harness, and download cable can be found for about $540 and you'll spend $40 for the heart rate strap. Assuming you were going to buy the Garmin or some other downloadable computer and build a wheel on a half decent hub (ex: Ultegra 6700, about $120 from the UK). That's $160-$210 more.

In between you can get used Powertap SL wired and Comp setups for $350 which is $50-$100 more than the Garmin. Advantages over the older hubs are that Saris still re-builds these, they can be converted for Campagnolo use, and they weigh less.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-28-10 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-28-10, 05:37 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Used early Cycleops Powertaps built into wheels can be found for $250 with computer, download cable, and heart rate transmitter.
That makes it tempting...but then I'd know how weak I really am. Some things may be best left unknown.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-09-11, 07:43 AM
roflmao147

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got my garmin edge 500, for around 170 british pounds, including hr and cadence, havent used on the road yet, but becoming very useful for indoor training
Old 01-09-11, 10:18 AM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wheels are almost always your best bike upgrade, but I've had a Garmin 305 for years, and just got a 800. So far I like the 800, the 500 seems like a great unit if you don't want the mapping.
Old 01-09-11, 10:20 AM
roflmao147

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R900
Wheels are almost always your best bike upgrade, but I've had a Garmin 305 for years, and just got a 800. So far I like the 800, the 500 seems like a great unit if you don't want the mapping.
i have noo need for the mapping, i know all the roads i train on, is the 800 much bigger than the 500?
Old 01-09-11, 10:47 AM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
I vote a definite no on an expensive Garmin computer.

You can buy a cheap Polar HR monitor and a cheap bike computer with cadence for a small fraction of the price of a Garmin 500.
IMO this may not be the best solution. I own a Polar RS 200. New it cost me $200. Current value is $0 because polar put the battery under the electronics so that only an authorized polar repair shop can change a battery. 267 miles to the nearest authorized shop. Yes I could mail it but they don`t answer their email so my HR monitor is in the drawer.

As for computers. I own a Sigma BC1606L $60 and a Cateye Strada $100. The Sigma is pretty good and the Cateye is a battery pig that randomly stops receiving a couple of times an hour.

So all toll I`ve spent about $360 on computers and HR monitors none of which uploads data to a computer. I think going the cheap route be approaching $200.

Retail an edge 500 is $399 with both HR and cadence sensor, $299 without. Your suggestion would not be ANT+ compatible so were the OP to save for a powermeter the cheaper solution would need to be completely replaced whereas a Garmin appears to compliment an upgrade to power.

For those who have the Edge 500, although it has no on screen mapping does it upload mapping and route information to the computer for reference?
Old 01-09-11, 10:50 AM
roflmao147

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trustnoone
IMO this may not be the best solution. I own a Polar RS 200. New it cost me $200. Current value is $0 because polar put the battery under the electronics so that only an authorized polar repair shop can change a battery. 267 miles to the nearest authorized shop. Yes I could mail it but they don`t answer their email so my HR monitor is in the drawer.

As for computers. I own a Sigma BC1606L $60 and a Cateye Strada $100. The Sigma is pretty good and the Cateye is a battery pig that randomly stops receiving a couple of times an hour.

So all toll I`ve spent about $360 on computers and HR monitors none of which uploads data to a computer. I think going the cheap route be approaching $200.

Retail an edge 500 is $399 with both HR and cadence sensor, $299 without. Your suggestion would not be ANT+ compatible so were the OP to save for a powermeter the cheaper solution would need to be completely replaced whereas a Garmin appears to compliment an upgrade to power.

For those who have the Edge 500, although it has no on screen mapping does it upload mapping and route information to the computer for reference?
yes you can plug it in and its shows your route, it also has a player that pplays out ur route with a marker, showin ur hr cadnce and speed, at the point of the journey
Old 01-09-11, 10:54 AM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the garmin and start saving for a powertap wheel to go with it. In the US, you can get both for just under $1,000 new. By the way, you don't really need the cadence sensor if you have a powertap wheel, so you can save some Money on the Garmin by buying the basic package and getting a heartrate strap. If new is out of the question because of the $, I'd agree with some of the others and look for a used PT and skip the garmin for now. My powermeter is by far the most valuable thing I've bought to help me improve on the bike (read the book referenced above). Wheels, carbon bike, etc. are not even close. Opinions vary of course.
Old 01-09-11, 11:55 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by roflmao147
even with the hr and cadence sensors?
Garmin 500 with heartrate and cadence
Old 01-16-11, 12:16 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will a Garmin Edge pick up a polar heart rate strap or are they coded differently?
Old 01-16-11, 12:35 PM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The newer Polar and Garmin heart rate straps have two components; the transmitter puck that snaps on the strap, and the strap itself. The Garmin puck will fit both the Polar and Garmin (of course) strap and will work with the Edge. The Polar transmitter WILL NOT work...it will fit both straps, but since it is not ANT+ compatible you cannot use it with the Garmin Edge.

The newest Garmin strap is very much like the Polar Wearlink+ strap...
Old 01-16-11, 12:52 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grwoolf
Get the garmin and start saving for a powertap wheel to go with it. In the US, you can get both for just under $1,000 new.
The 500 is $250 on amazon, $30 each for GSC10/HRM. That leaves $690 for powertap wheel. I'm assuming Elite+ so it has ANT+.
Where might I find a built powertap elite+ wheel for only $690? (assuming built means without tube/tire/cassette)

Last edited by ancker; 01-16-11 at 01:03 PM. Reason: $690 not $650
Old 01-16-11, 12:53 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roflmao147
thanks people. the advice is much appreciated, i was worried i wud get attcked by trolls due to my probably common question. thanks again, will be ordering the edge 500 when i get the chance. does anyone know a cheap place to buy one in britain?
If it's not too late www.handtec.co.uk seem to have some good prices. I've never ordered from them so can't say if they are any good or not.
Old 01-16-11, 01:44 PM
Oostal
still climbing

Bikes: vintage steel bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on how much you would need the gps/mapping feature.

If not that much, then go for a Polar computer with HR and cadence sensors. You will get very accurate data readings and a much longer battery life. You can upload your data to the Polar training website, where you can compose training plans and analyze your progress. In addition the Polars just look much cooler in my view ;-). (I have the diamond shaped Polar, but several other models are good as well.)

ps. very nice bike!