Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Presta/Schrader pump head or pump recommendation?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 03:08 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

The rash of recent pump threads reminded me one of my floor pumps needs fixing or replacing and I'd like recommendation:

I mainly use and like the Lezyne thread on pumps for myself, but I keep an extra floor pump in my garage for the kids, myself and anyone to use. Currently it is a Planet Bike Alx that works fine other than that the rubber clamp gets chewed up too fast so I want to replace at least the head or the whole thing.

Requirements are that it be durable, can get to 110 psi, fill both presta and schrader and be a clamp on type. I would prefer a twinhead or smarthead type that doesn't require reversing anything to switch between valve types but that is secondary to durability and functionality. I'd like to spend ~$20 or less for a head or $50 if it's a full pump.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-13, 03:19 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Shouldn't cost you that much. Amazon has a selection of replacement pump heads here: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7gmgnk8bjz_b

One is from Park Tool for like $5.00 and is universal. That has to be pretty good. Another is Avenir from Michelin. Take a look. Plenty more hits on Google.
Old 12-10-13, 03:23 PM
canam73

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Shouldn't cost you that much. Amazon has a selection of replacement pump heads here: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7gmgnk8bjz_b

One is from Park Tool for like $5.00 and is universal. That has to be pretty good. Another is Avenir from Michelin. Take a look. Plenty more hits on Google.
I realize they are available. What I want to know is what is good. And I'm happy to pay more for a head/pump if the donuts will last a little longer.
Old 12-10-13, 05:48 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been very happy with this pump head upgrade. Since I've switched to threadless stems, the rubber doesn't get chewed up, the head pops off easily when released and no longer any problems.
Old 12-11-13, 09:19 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by FLvector
I've been very happy with this pump head upgrade. Since I've switched to threadless stems, the rubber doesn't get chewed up, the head pops off easily when released and no longer any problems.
I don't think I've ever used a Topeak Smarthead. It engulfs the entire valve core on a Presta and only clamps on to the thicker stem body?

About half of my current tubes are threaded and half smooth, but I could switch the rest out. This is actually more for my kids bikes than for me, though. Can you (or anyone else) comment on how well the Smarthead works for Schrader valves?
Old 12-11-13, 09:42 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I use the entry level Bontrager floor pump ($30). I check/inflate my tires every time I ride/race (and at races I may inflate 3 pairs of wheels plus people inevitably borrow my pump). I bought three pumps to cover my bases (cars, trainer/bikeroom). They have smart heads, plastic bases (gentle on cars and such), good feel, pressure gauge, etc. I've had these for maybe 2 or 3 years now.

Previously I had (still have but use much less frequently) a pair of Blackburn floor pumps, the lowest level pump. I bought those maybe 15 years ago? and never replaced any rubber gaskets (double head). They had a metal base that was an ideal object for scratching/gouging things like cars, bikes, walls, etc. I use them sometimes but generally prefer the more gentle Bontragers.

What's nice about both pumps is that I bought them at local shops, and both companies seem to stand behind their products. I know with Blackburn I lost part of a mini pump (the handle fell off during a ride) and they sent me a new pump. As for Bontrager the shop has always been good but they're an older established store so I think they do that in general.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-11-13, 11:35 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I use the entry level Bontrager floor pump ($30). I check/inflate my tires every time I ride/race (and at races I may inflate 3 pairs of wheels plus people inevitably borrow my pump). I bought three pumps to cover my bases (cars, trainer/bikeroom). They have smart heads, plastic bases (gentle on cars and such), good feel, pressure gauge, etc. I've had these for maybe 2 or 3 years now.

Previously I had (still have but use much less frequently) a pair of Blackburn floor pumps, the lowest level pump. I bought those maybe 15 years ago? and never replaced any rubber gaskets (double head). They had a metal base that was an ideal object for scratching/gouging things like cars, bikes, walls, etc. I use them sometimes but generally prefer the more gentle Bontragers.

What's nice about both pumps is that I bought them at local shops, and both companies seem to stand behind their products. I know with Blackburn I lost part of a mini pump (the handle fell off during a ride) and they sent me a new pump. As for Bontrager the shop has always been good but they're an older established store so I think they do that in general.
Thank you for the recommendations. Have you tried either with Schrader valves?

As I mentioned above, I am happy with my Lezynes for personal and racing use. This is to be the 'family pump' mainly used by my kids (Schrader) and wife (Presta).
Old 12-11-13, 03:50 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Thank you for the recommendations. Have you tried either with Schrader valves?

As I mentioned above, I am happy with my Lezynes for personal and racing use. This is to be the 'family pump' mainly used by my kids (Schrader) and wife (Presta).
Both are fine with Schrader valves - I've used both with Schrader. We have a trailer, a strider bike, both with Schrader, and I also bring both pumps to my brother's place and they have… 6? Schrader valve bikes. I just realized that one of the Blackburns I "lost" is in their garage.

I've also used one to inflate a car tire that was low. I think technically it was some random racer's tire but whatever, it was a car tire.

btw the Blackburn I have has evolved into something worse apparently (the TP-1) - the admittedly rock solid base I hate so much is now a flexible plastic thing, according to BikeRadar.

The Bontrager is now $34. It's called the reCharge (I had no idea what it was called).

I find the double head easier to lock since it's designed for just one valve type per side. The smart head, although clever, is maybe 95% of what the specific head in terms of locking security. I use valve extenders on my race wheels and the double head is a touch more secure. Also I think the gaskets will last longer, especially since you use the Schrader gasket only when you use a Schrader tube.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-17-13, 11:26 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 8 year old joe blow from rei that's worked great on my bikes & scooters