Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Bar End Mirror would you recommend?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What Bar End Mirror would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 10:16 AM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use both a CycleAware "Roadie" and a helmet-mount mirror and I'm still not satisfied. But like someone else already said, they're better than nothing.

If it weren't for daytime running lights, I wouldn't have any idea that a car was behind me until I heard it. Luckily, the quiet cars all have DRL's now, the loud ones obviously didn't.

A big part of my problem has to do with my own vision limitations, but there has to be a better solution than what's on the market now. I need something, because my neck flexibility ain't what it used to be.
Old 10-22-14, 10:18 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
You can scan using a helmet or eyeglass mounted mirror by wagging your head ... there are really no blind spots in the usual sense. I've actually used the mirror to look over my right shoulder to check out merging traffic from the right.

I'm trying to make a habit of looking over my shoulder too, but at times, wonder why ... I can see a lot better with the mirror than I can looking over my shoulder.

The other habit I'm trying to get myself into is hand signaling before changing lanes. I do that on larger streets ... particularly where there is significant traffic ... but it's a good idea to do it on a more regular basis. That way, if I don't see the overtaking or oncoming auto, at least they know my intentions. After all ... it is the one(s) I don't see that I need to worry about.

Old 10-22-14, 10:45 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I also have the Sprintech mirror and love it. I like the fact that it is a ball and socket design and the mirror can be popped out, in case you don't want to use it, while leaving the base in the handle bar. It's an Italian style mirror but unlike the ones that are fixed by the bar tape, this mirror does not bust apart if you should crash and the mirror hits the ground. It's extremely easy to adjust and stays in place once adjusted. Also, if you should hit it with your knee or your leg, it moves out of the way rather than jab you, like the fixed mirrors do. If you use aerobars on your bike, it's easy to adjust the mirror so that you can see who is behind you when in the aero position.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-22-14, 11:31 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I am so sold on the quality of the product, and the quality of the view, that I would ck to see if a Myrricle mirror would work for you.
Old 10-22-14, 05:39 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Here is another mans opinion. He, like me, goes for the smaller size and clearer lens.
Sprintech vs Italian Road Bike Mirror.

Tale of Two Mirrors Review
Old 10-22-14, 06:25 PM
SlowAndSlower

Bikes: 2010 Scattante CFR, Soma Stanyan, Bruce Gordon R&R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an ancient Chuck Harris eyeglass mirror and cannot ride without it. That being said I am in the market for a drop bar bar end mirror for my touring bike when I ride in the rain without eyeglasses.
I am looking for something more robust than what's on the American market. I like the looks of the Busch and Muller mirrors that Peter White carries but I am not that desperate yet.
I am also looking at motorcycle bar end mirrors as they seem more robust and some look like they are crash resistant.
Old 10-22-14, 09:43 PM
KDC19561954

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This what I use it's for motorcycle bar but it works great on my Surly Big Dummy bicycle that I built.But I run a flat bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_61ny7bcaifl_sl1500_.jpg (11.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-22-14, 10:28 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
If you want it on your handlebars, then it's the Italian Bike Mirror.

If you don't have panniers and you don't want a convex mirror, then it's the Bike eye. This is my favorite mirror and it isn't convex.

I have also used the Sprintech mirrors and couldn't stand them. I keep hitting them with my knee when standing and they are easy to knock out of alignment.

J.
Old 10-23-14, 05:12 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
You can scan using a helmet or eyeglass mounted mirror by wagging your head ... there are really no blind spots in the usual sense. I've actually used the mirror to look over my right shoulder to check out merging traffic from the right. .....
The only problem with eyeglass or helmet mount mirrors is that they pretty much require you to be in a more upright position. I was using a Third Eye helmet mounted mirror for a while and really liked it until I started using aerobars. Once I dropped down onto the bars, the mirror was totally useless. I couldn't see anything but treetops and the sky, no matter how I adjusted it. And taking that much time to play with adjustments on the mirror took too much time away from paying attention to the road. I have a position on my Sprintech mirror that I can set the mirror to, in about a second, and it allows me to see behind me while riding on the hoods, drops or the aerobars. Another advantage of the Sprintech is when you are riding at that certain time in the morning and the sun is behind you, hits your mirror and the reflection looks as if you were looking straight into the sun; well, just turn the mirror and the problem is gone. This is a big problem that I often had with my helmet mount mirror. I could move it out of the way, too, but getting it adjusted again was a PITA.

I do like the smaller, compact size of the Italian Bar End Mirror but once it's in place it's no longer truly adjustable unless you feel like re-taping your handlebars each time. In any case, if I'm riding in a place where I need a mirror, I would much rather have the functionality of being able to adjust it as needed vs one that looks good but isn't adjustable.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-23-14, 06:09 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Is it trial and error to get this one adjusted to the proper angle? I'm guessing that when installing you sit in the position you use the most and try and put the mirror in that position, and then tape it to the bars?
Buyer Beware - I could not get the Italian Road Bike Mirror purchased from AVS adjusted properly on my FSA compact handlebars. I would have had to move the bar rotation in the stem significantly, which I am not willing to do.
I need to throw mine up on the classifieds, it's sitting on my workbench in the box.
Old 10-23-14, 08:41 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
The only problem with eyeglass or helmet mount mirrors is that they pretty much require you to be in a more upright position. I was using a Third Eye helmet mounted mirror for a while and really liked it until I started using aerobars. Once I dropped down onto the bars, the mirror was totally useless. I couldn't see anything but treetops and the sky, no matter how I adjusted it. And taking that much time to play with adjustments on the mirror took too much time away from paying attention to the road. I have a position on my Sprintech mirror that I can set the mirror to, in about a second, and it allows me to see behind me while riding on the hoods, drops or the aerobars. Another advantage of the Sprintech is when you are riding at that certain time in the morning and the sun is behind you, hits your mirror and the reflection looks as if you were looking straight into the sun; well, just turn the mirror and the problem is gone. This is a big problem that I often had with my helmet mount mirror. I could move it out of the way, too, but getting it adjusted again was a PITA.

I do like the smaller, compact size of the Italian Bar End Mirror but once it's in place it's no longer truly adjustable unless you feel like re-taping your handlebars each time. In any case, if I'm riding in a place where I need a mirror, I would much rather have the functionality of being able to adjust it as needed vs one that looks good but isn't adjustable.
Hmmm ... interesting point. And you're right! Helmet/eyeglass mirrors don't work so well when you're on aerobars.

They are also problematic if you wear a backpack (and I do when commuting). I find I can take care of that by simply adjusting the mirror to swing out further away from the helmet (something easily done with the third eye mirror I recommended, as it has two joints). That means to look behind me, I have to swing my head about 30 degrees, but that's not so much of a problem.

Old 11-01-14, 07:58 AM
GaryPitts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one is the bomb! I've tried several. Nothing else comes close IMO. Amazon.com : Ultra Light Bike Mirror : Sports & Outdoors
Old 11-01-14, 12:34 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I have tried most of the mirrors mentioned, and a few others including the Zefel Cyclops. I vote for the Mirrycle also. I have found that the Italian mirror is too small for my old eyes to get useful information, aside from the lack of adjustability. I have also found that all the mirrors with ball and socket joints do not hold their position, and all the ones made of non-rigid plastic break after a year or so. The Mirrycle has lasted many years, is large enough to be useful, and can be adjusted.
Off topic, I tried a helmet mirror and found it distracting, but that is just me. I also don't like the stickers Jiffy Lube puts in the upper corner of my car windshield!