Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I Don't Need No Stinking Di2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I Don't Need No Stinking Di2

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 08:43 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vicegrip
take a modern brifter apart and to the last pin and pawl and se if it is simple. Friction is dead simple. Allxsystems have issues of their own. Di2 is free of cable elongation or muddy gummy mess under the BB. No cable service to forget and auto trim of the front DR. Cable has no issues with battery life or failure.

I too build and fly RC. I am working on quad platform video and still photography. I like to build and tune. I also build 1 to 1 scale racecars.

I like keeping the bike in top mechanical form. With di2 there less to deal with and a better function than cable. Still get to rebuild cassettes and true wheels so the zen is there.
RC is fun but expensive. Build a bike and its built. Build a heli and you will crash it sooner or later. If you are lucky its just a few busted servos, but it can be much worse. I'm sure Di2 would be much harder to break than that but still... I like my tourer to be as unbreakable as possible.
Old 10-26-14, 08:46 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
ok, i just didnt know what you were talking about. Not upset or anything.

Personally, I don't like the external wire kit. The adhesive wire covers are ok, even the external battery doesn't look horrible but when you see a totally integrated system w/ hidden battery, it looks much better.
agree. I hid the junction with the battery and ran the cables in the old guides. Used split black semi rigid tubing to make the canbus wires loo like cable sheath. Owner desired to go with external battery and I made a cover for it. With a bottle in the holder it looks like the seat tube holder has a larger bottle. Had I had an internal battery to work with I would have hidden everything in the seat tube
Old 10-26-14, 08:52 PM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
RC is fun but expensive. Build a bike and its built. Build a heli and you will crash it sooner or later. If you are lucky its just a few busted servos, but it can be much worse. I'm sure Di2 would be much harder to break than that but still... I like my tourer to be as unbreakable as possible.
spent a month building a 350 size quad only to invert and full speed it into a bush on the maiden flight. Programming glitches cost me 3 props and a rebody. Di2 has been set and forget.

So far no crashes on the 1 to 1 racecars. They make bikes and RC look cheap.....

Last edited by Vicegrip; 10-26-14 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 09:37 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At first my new Di2 was amazing to me.

Then, it was fine.

Now, I just bought a 9000 group when I could have had 9070.

I still dig mechanical.

I am not convinced it is the be–all and end–all.

Yeah it's cool but non electric is too.

Old 10-26-14, 09:54 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is this thread anything other than a mileage brag vehicle? Is this the cycling equivalent to the vegan that unfailingly manufactures an opportunity to bring up their veganism?
Guilty
Old 10-26-14, 10:43 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
no one can argue cable is not the simple solution
it's proven and simple, and robust
Haha. I remember people saying the exact thing about down tube fraction shifting when SIS came out. Then there were similar comments about why an extra gear (8-9-10) is needed. Of course everyone knows bicycles should be steel and 32 spoke wheels are the minimum count.
Old 10-26-14, 10:52 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When the power goes out and the zombies appear....who you gunna call? Not someone with Di2

About 6 months back I did test ride an ultegra di2 and it was nice....worth the money? Not to me but it was nice none the less
Old 10-27-14, 05:00 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm
When the power goes out and the zombies appear....who you gunna call? Not someone with Di2

About 6 months back I did test ride an ultegra di2 and it was nice....worth the money? Not to me but it was nice none the less
That's why you need more than one bike. If you mean permanent power outage, I imagine there will be many more things to worry about than whether your bike will shift.

Camera folks stumbled through this dilemma years ago and seem to have decided to go with electronics essentially 100%. It was probably the digital revolution that sealed the deal, i.e. when a desirable image recording technology was invented that could only be run electronically, the arguments subsided. I suspect that auto shifting software will have the same effect (bye and bye) in bicycles. Electronic is cute for now but not necessary. If you are going to want automatic bike shifting, however, it will have to be electronic.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-27-14, 05:17 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
At first my new Di2 was amazing to me.

Then, it was fine.

Now, I just bought a 9000 group when I could have had 9070.

I still dig mechanical.

I am not convinced it is the be–all and end–all.

Yeah it's cool but non electric is too.

The new shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace mechanical groups are pretty awesome....the shifting on my Ultegra is the best I have ever used in a mechanical group and it doesn't carry the extra weight of the electronic.

Although, my bike shop owner (friend) said once I go electronic I wouldn't go back.
Old 10-27-14, 07:23 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Is it true that PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals?
Old 10-27-14, 07:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The battle rages on. As it always has and it always will.
Old 10-27-14, 07:51 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
Cables and housing are less than an hour to change and you get to tweak the drive train to get any play out of it. Only do once maybe twice a year and its a job I enjoy.
It can be a labor of love, and personally I've enjoyed keeping all of the family bikes adjusted, changing out drive trains and so on, but it's more like a chore any more. Not having to do it would be a positive.

On the other hand, that might be illusory in the end. Electromechanical devices eventually malfunction, as will the electronics, and then we'll either need to fix it ourselves, replace a module, send it in or just replace it, any of which could be more trouble than maintaining the cable-based shifting.

That's really a big reason why DI2 is so expensive: high enough quality servos or actuators. Otherwise you could build one for a fraction of the cost. The software is easy - a good developer could do it in his sleep, but an actuator that can handle the necessary repetitions with a decent linear thrust is either boat anchor heavy or costly. Speaking seriously, concern over that (and the price of course) is the reason I'd wait for a generation or two before going all in on electronic shifting. I prefer mature technology.
Old 10-27-14, 08:18 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Camera folks stumbled through this dilemma years ago and seem to have decided to go with electronics essentially 100%. It was probably the digital revolution that sealed the deal, i.e. when a desirable image recording technology was invented that could only be run electronically, the arguments subsided. I suspect that auto shifting software will have the same effect (bye and bye) in bicycles. Electronic is cute for now but not necessary. If you are going to want automatic bike shifting, however, it will have to be electronic.
Lots more going on with photography to drive digital. Photo editing, developing, storage capacity, etc. It seems that market was driven from the bottom up though with the mass market going digital first while the pros stuck to film until digital had progressed to enough megapixels and so on. Bikes are going top-down obviously, but below a certain market segment I can really see the drawbacks outweighing the benefits. Occasional recreational riders seem more likely to be hit by a dead battery than have problems with a worn shift cable.

Auto shifting on a bike has been done mechanically, just easier with electronics but with the extra need of a cadence sensor and power meter you're really going to have to see prices go down before that becomes mainstream. Consider that automatics still haven't entirely displaced manual shifting in cars 70 years or so after the first automatics hit the market and at least some of that has been driven by manufacturers pushing it (plenty of people who would drive a manual but the car they like isn't offered with one)

Personally, cost and complexity is what keeps me from wanting electronic. Once a cable shift setup is adjusted, I really don't have problems with it going out of adjustment. I can shift both derailleurs simultaneously for chainring shifts because I have two hands and shift quality is more than good enough (besides, isn't a lot of shift quality influenced by the cassette design?) I will be interested to see how long it is before electronic shifting gets down to $2000-ish bikes that are the highest I can stomach considering or used prices on eBay get low enough to try retrofitting it on something.
Old 10-27-14, 08:45 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why would you want an autoshifting bike? I have a self propelled autoshifting bike. Its called a scooter. You can even get electric versions. A bike is human powered and simpler.... thats what makes it a bicycle.
Old 10-27-14, 08:49 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by Caliper

Auto shifting on a bike has been done Consider that automatics still haven't entirely displaced manual shifting in cars 70 years or so after the first automatics hit the market and at least some of that has been driven by manufacturers pushing it (plenty of people who would drive a manual but the car they like isn't offered with one)
It's less than 4% of new vehicles. It took a long time for automatics to be better but they are now. The only reason to have manuals is for those that like the sensation of being better connected to the vehicle.
Old 10-27-14, 09:04 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Is it okay to wear ankle length socks after Labor Day? Black or white socks?

And is it EVER okay for cyclists to wear compression socks?

Did you know Pres. Clinton had a cat named Socks?
Old 10-27-14, 09:17 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

It's okay to wear compressions socks in the privacy of your own home....with your bunny slippers
Old 10-27-14, 09:56 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I've had 4 tandems. The last two I went only electronic. On a tandem, with two strong riders and long cables the frame flex in a sprint causes auto shifts - often. Think 400lbs 3,000+ Watts. So it has a real and great purpose. I used the Mavic Mectronic then.

When my kid started racing (at 8 years old) I thought why bother teaching him cables and put the Mavic on his bike. At 11 he went to Di2 10 speed. At 13 he went SRAM red cables. At 15 he went Di2 11 speed. First ride I didn't have the cable snapped into the battery properly and the shifting went dead 15 min before the race start - then it worked, then it went dead. In frustration I snapped the cable into the battery extra hard and it "clicked". No problems since. But the charging issue is real as you tend to ride 3-4 months without charging and have to let the bike let you know - she wants to be plugged in. Or you just plan on a monthly charge. The primary reason he likes Di2 is a clean frame and more aero - but just mentioned maybe cables would be easier for a weekly racer on the road. So really - very little opinion here. Some teams use cables and some use electronic. It is clearly here to stay, but so are cables - I think. Personally I wish electronics were disallowed in all racing. But that's just me.
Old 10-27-14, 09:59 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I didn't eat Italian food yesterday. I prefer Mexican. That's roughly as informative as this thread.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-27-14, 10:01 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by kv501
People said the same thing about frames going to aluminum (and later carbon), indexed shifting, 9 and 10 speed, and so on and so on and so on. Work your logic backwards and we'd all be riding penny farthings.

I'm a "common man" with over 10,000 Di2 miles and there are several advantages. I've never adjusted it, it shifts smoother than mechanical, shifts well under any kind of load you put on it, and I've never missed a shift or dropped a chain on that bike. The drive train is as dead silent as the day I bought it. I've also ridden in the rain who knows how many times, and the battery (underneath the BB) has been completely submerged at least once that I can remember-never any problems. I like it enough that I started using my good bike in crits and I swore that'd never happen.

So where do you draw the line at what the common man is supposed to ride? Is there some sweet spot that people below Cat 1 shouldn't go beyond because they don't need it? Like...above down tube 7 speed and shellacked bars, but below Tiagra 9 speed? You gotta help us out here and be specific if there's a limit to how much tech we should be using.
The line is whatever you like and can afford! LoL I just wanted perspective, as I won't consider myself the "common man" as a cyclist, I'm a C&V collector who finds no appeal in Di2. Thanks for the excellent answer despite the misunderstanding.
Old 10-27-14, 10:04 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The sprinters buttons are great for out of the saddle shifts when on the drops. Its hard to duplicate that with cables. You can be in a 15T, wind it up out of the saddle, click to the 14T and keep going....
Old 10-27-14, 10:28 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
Is it okay to wear ankle length socks after Labor Day? Black or white socks?

And is it EVER okay for cyclists to wear compression socks?

Did you know Pres. Clinton had a cat named Socks?
Yes. If you end up with vein valve failure and they keep you on the bike, it is ok.
Old 10-27-14, 10:55 AM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I didn't eat Italian food yesterday. I prefer Mexican. That's roughly as informative as this thread.
Yea we got the basic idea of your opinion with the other posts you made. Now that someone gave you some attention are you going to move along? The internet is quite large and I am sure there are other conversations you can interject into.
Old 10-27-14, 12:07 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Yea we got the basic idea of your opinion with the other posts you made. Now that someone gave you some attention are you going to move along? The internet is quite large and I am sure there are other conversations you can interject into.
"Posts"? As in plural? Do you have me confused with someone else?

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-27-14, 12:33 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't feed the trolls and they go away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.