Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need advice on making trainer sessions tolerable

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need advice on making trainer sessions tolerable

Old 11-01-18, 04:10 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Can't help you with the trainer dilemma, but I like the black Solara.

​​​​​​My wife drives a silver 06 convertible.
Mine is an ‘06 as well. We bought it for my wife but the seat was too low for her when she had her hip replaced so I drive it now. I leave the top down as much as I can even on cooler days. It’s the vehicle I use going back and forth to the golf course. I tried carrying a bike in it but didn’t have much luck without a rack. Plus I can roll bikes in and out of our Sienna so it’s the bike mobile.

I bet the top top stays up on your wife’s Solara in the summers in Tucson!!
Old 11-01-18, 04:16 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Mount a TV in the garage, low enough to be comfortable looking at it from the bike. The bigger the better. TV's are cheap. You might just get a small table.
Use an Apple TV setup with your home wi-fi.
Go to YouTube and find a training ride. (Wife and I train on cold Texas days with a bunch of Australians)

Also, Joe, I didn't chime in earlier about clipless pedals. I have had both knees replaced. A bit different than hip, but I highly recommend going to SPD type with MULTI-DIRECTIONAL RELEASE cleats. Much easier release than any of the road cleats. You can get nice road pedals for SPD. I have Shimano PD-A520's on my road, tandem, and tri-bike. While some road shoes can accommodate three screw cleats, a good set of MTB shoes (I use Sidi Magnum Dominators because they come in wide) will put your feet near normal when you walk. Shimano also makes an RT (Road-Touring) shoe that is very, very stable. The risk of a slip and fall just isn't worth it to me anymore.
Well, I have smart tv’s spread out all over the house so I might look into that.

Thanks for the pedal suggestions. I use MTB shoes with SPDs on my gravel bike and they do seem a little easier to clip out of than my Look cleats and pedals.
Old 11-01-18, 09:03 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Spinervals...we have dozens. Great workouts ranging from thirty minutes to several hours. My wife is also using the Peloton app; iphone connector to HDMI on the television. Subscription is pretty cheap and the workouts outstanding.
Old 11-02-18, 08:22 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Spinervals...we have dozens. Great workouts ranging from thirty minutes to several hours. My wife is also using the Peloton app; iphone connector to HDMI on the television. Subscription is pretty cheap and the workouts outstanding.
I need to check on the Peloton app.
Old 11-02-18, 08:57 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
I need to check on the Peloton app.
You don't need the full blown membership; you can download the app from Apple. I think monthly charge is around $19 now. When we joined it was $13.
Old 11-04-18, 08:33 PM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
You have all gotten old in my absence. The correct answer is Mrs jppe on a trainer in front of you!
Old 11-09-18, 05:40 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
DvD’s
i own many great old school VHS video like marco pantoni climbs TDF Lance era converted to dvd and ride my cyclops trainer
got fan , water , towel
suxs but no options here in great North East
Old 11-10-18, 07:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
You have all gotten old in my absence. The correct answer is Mrs jppe on a trainer in front of you!
Quite right! My wife rides her trainer right in front of me when I'm on my resistance rollers. We face each other out in our shop, kept at 55° when possible. It feels really lonely out there without her.
Old 11-10-18, 07:55 PM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
DvD’s
i own many great old school VHS video like marco pantoni climbs TDF Lance era converted to dvd and ride my cyclops trainer
got fan , water , towel
suxs but no options here in great North East
i find riding to video quite boring quickly - i guess maybe i can't trick my body/mind as well as you can.....Zwift has been a game changer for indoor riding - game changer. I even often prefer to jump onto the kickr/Zwift rather than ride outdoors.

i've tried numerous trainer softwares.....trust me nothing comes close to Zwift for productive, fun (yes ! indoor can be fun) and addictive also.
Old 11-15-18, 08:29 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Zwift, The Sufferfest, Rouvy, and others all provide something to keep you motivated. After years with a dumb trainer I bought a smart trainer a month or two ago and would never go back. It is so much more like road riding than a dumb trainer, even with a power meter and a dumb trainer. Put the big screen in front of you and "ride on".
Old 11-15-18, 08:45 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Don't over-think it. If you have access to a television where you train, there are lots of cycling training and ride scenery videos on YouTube for free. Put in a good movie. Watch your favorite show and sprint hard during the commercials. Even ear buds and some heart pumping music can get you going. Do some HIIT to mix it up. Skype or video chat with a friend who is also training and get competitive. If you video your own rides, play back some of your favorites.

Sure the high tech stuff is fun, but you can still get excellent and interesting workouts without it. I've got a basic wind trainer and an old Schwinn World for winter training. The bike has the same saddle and pedals, as well as the same bar/saddle/bottom bracket measurements as my road bike. Cost very little as everything was used and the videos and music are free.

I've also got a wire rack that I can put in front of the handlebars so I can do work/homework while pedaling (not a great workout but keeps the blood flowing in cold winter months).
Old 11-17-18, 12:04 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Trainer sessions are not supposed to be tolerable. At least that's my understanding of how it works.
Old 11-17-18, 01:30 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
While intolerable otherwise, I find unedited bike commute videos keep me occupied on the treadmill. I keep looking for cross traffic, and try to read traffic patterns up ahead. I guess since I mostly commute, that works for me.
Old 11-18-18, 09:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't know.

Everything has to be exciting nowadays. It is a constant need to be bombarded with stimulus. Kids can't sit still in a car for 20 minutes without DVD's playing. People can't go 15 minutes without headphones. Nobody can sit still and silence scares the crap out of people.

Not trying to turn this into a philosophical or psychological thread but I wonder if just changing expectation is the answer. We can climb mountains until our legs scream but we don't have enough mental stamina to sit on a trainer for 90 minutes?

It is going to be boring. So what? @cccorlew has the right idea. Lower your expectations, put your head down and do it.

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-18-18 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 09:47 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

As an aside, I wouldn't put an R3 in a trainer for fear of cracking the frame.
Old 11-18-18, 11:18 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

Everything has to be exciting nowadays. It is a constant need to be bombarded with stimulus. Kids can't sit still in a car for 20 minutes without DVD's playing. People can't go 15 minutes without headphones. Nobody can sit still and silence scares the crap out of people.

Not trying to turn this into a philosophical or psychological thread but I wonder if just changing expectation is the answer. We can climb mountains until our legs scream but we don't have enough mental stamina to sit on a trainer for 90 minutes?

It is going to be boring. So what? @cccorlew has the right idea. Lower your expectations, put your head down and do it.
I disagree. There is no reason why indoor training sessions have to be a mindnumbing slugfest. Anything that makes indoor training fun and interesting is a worthwhile thing. Before the advent of Zwift my indoor sessions were no more than 30 minutes. With Zwift I can last a lot longer.

Not everyone is into Zwift, some watch movies, some listen to music. Whatever you do to keep coming back to the trainer is a good thing.

I can climb all day long, even when my legs scream out in pain, because my senses are engaged; the sights, sounds and sensations of an outdoor ride propel me forward. Not so much with an indoor trainer.

Old 11-18-18, 11:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The notion that we should just "HTFU" on the trainer and deal with it is absurd. Why not then put on your hairshirt and give yourself a couple of lashes beforehand.

Its cycling. If it's not enjoyable, what's the point? On rainy days, I just go walking. Burns 5x the amount of calories per mile, and wind doesn't matter. Beats a trainer.
Old 11-18-18, 01:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts

Lower expectations and put your head down and be bored, when there are easy ways to make the same task enjoyable and NOT boring? Do it? Why?

Sounds like the philosophy of the pain-IS-gain masochistic training clique.
Old 11-18-18, 03:54 PM
bladehack

Bikes: Bianchi 928 C2C (61cm)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Love the Wolfpack Club sticker on the monostay. The Cervelo would look great with Tuffy somewhere on the frame! BSME '87 here.
Old 11-18-18, 04:08 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Lower expectations and put your head down and be bored, when there are easy ways to make the same task enjoyable and NOT boring? Do it? Why?

Sounds like the philosophy of the pain-IS-gain masochistic training clique.
Agree. There is something to be said about suffering while on the bike; that’s the stuff that legends are made of.

But for us mere mortals, that kind of suffering is mostly pointless.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 11-18-18 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 05:12 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Agree. There is something to be said about suffering while on the bike; that’s the stuff that legends are made of.

But for us mere mortals, that kind of suffering is mostly pointless.
Agree.
Old 11-18-18, 06:49 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Really, there is no need to be bored while riding a trainer. There are plenty of ways of being entertained, and being entertained will keep you riding longer. I'm finding Zwift to be more entertaining this year than the Sufferfest, so I'm doing that more. Last year it was the other way around. Maybe I'll do some Rouvy videos later this year when/if they come out with a Mac version, or at least an updated iOS version. It combines live footage with simulated riders.
Old 11-18-18, 06:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I disagree. There is no reason why indoor training sessions have to be a mindnumbing slugfest
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The notion that we should just "HTFU" on the trainer and deal with it is absurd. Why not then put on your hairshirt and give yourself a couple of lashes beforehand.

Its cycling. If it's not enjoyable, what's the point?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I never said a trainer session should be intentionally made more difficult than it needs to be. I sometimes crank music while I'm on the rollers.

What I meant was that many are addicted to stimulus and unable to tolerate sitting still and being alone with their own thoughts, that's all. People can't even stand quietly elevator with another person for 30 seconds.

I happen to enjoy silence and solitude. It has nothing to do with HTFU but with learning to be without constant audiovisual stimulus.

If TV or music or Zwift makes trainers more enoyable then great. I'm all for it but spending 1.5 hours without music or TV shouldn't be a big deal for anyone.
Old 11-18-18, 08:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
What I meant was that many are addicted to stimulus and unable to tolerate sitting still and being alone with their own thoughts, that's all. People can't even stand quietly elevator with another person for 30 seconds.

I happen to enjoy silence and solitude. It has nothing to do with HTFU but with learning to be without constant audiovisual stimulus.
So what?
Old 11-18-18, 09:51 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
If TV or music or Zwift makes trainers more enoyable then great. I'm all for it but spending 1.5 hours without music or TV shouldn't be a big deal for anyone.
You sound like the old school coaches who used to make their young riders sit on a trainer starting at a brick wall for 4-5 hrs. Helps prepare them for the drudgery of tour cycling

I don't mind riding alone outdoors but indoors is a different matter. I'm good for 60-80 min with music indoors but it's never as pleasant as riding outside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.