Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50-100 carb grams per day

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50-100 carb grams per day

Old 10-28-18, 10:35 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I have been on the modified Atkins Diet for years now, I eat all the butter and meat I can hold down. The modification I use is I eat as many carbs as I want too

Works great for me

Ok Honestly My main thing is fresh foods and do not eat highly prepared food The exceptions are pasta white rice sweets and good french bread crackers

I eat fresh vegetables and fruits and meat from the counter not frozen

I do eat barley various rice brown black wild

sauces salad dressings I make from scratch so I know what is in them

I only use olive and sesame oils

I think going away from modified foods prepared in a factory is a no brainier and trying to control what goes in

I am no monk however and if a doctor ordered me to a diet I would listen so far that has not happened
Old 11-01-18, 12:24 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
For my weight (240) and on a keto diet, my carb limit is 25/day.
Old 11-23-18, 05:10 PM
biketrain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know someone in her 60s and it worked for her. I'm 43 and lost 13lbs in less than four months and I haven't even been trying as much as I could. Intermittent fasting is powerful too. I've only got about 15lbs to go. I'm so glad I discovered keto even this late in life. Everyone is different of course.
Old 11-23-18, 09:41 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Keto is a diet best suited for those that need to lose a lot of weight, e.g. extremely overweight/obese. Although anybody can use it.
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Nothing works for me other than no sugars allowed and exercise, and lots of that last one. Have to workout every day to keep the calorie burn up. The off season is tough as my body goes into hibernation mode and doesn't want to do anything and only wants to eat. Or is that my head doing that?
It's not all in your head since your body does get used to regular feeding. However, the need to eat because you're staving is an illusion that you can break with time.
Old 11-24-18, 10:54 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Keto diet and intermittent fasting is great for controlling weight during injury recovery.
Old 11-24-18, 11:32 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by jdon
Keto diet and intermittent fasting is great for controlling weight during injury recovery.
IF makes a good complement to any diet. Its like adding a turbocharger to your engine.
Old 11-24-18, 12:19 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Old 11-24-18, 12:22 PM
bruce19

I am currently about 10 lbs over my cycling goal weight. After lots of reading and Youtube videos I am going to start with cutting out processed carbs and limiting, if not, eliminating alcohol. Looking forward to the results.
Old 11-24-18, 12:31 PM
bruce19

Old 11-24-18, 02:47 PM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Dr's Becky and Keith are a decent resource. Thomas DeLauer and Dr. Berry are two alternate YouTube resources. All three have done their homework on Keto and Fasting. Dr. Becky also promotes her 0,1,2,3 Diet.

Last edited by jdon; 11-24-18 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 10:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I’m back on my feet but not healed enough to ride a bike. I can start upper body workouts with weights and also clean up my horrible diet better than nothing.
Old 11-27-18, 12:47 AM
bruce19

A good place to start. Good luck.
Old 11-27-18, 05:53 PM
Racer LEX

Bikes: 1985 Miyata 912, 2002 Mongoose Rockadile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started low carb/Keto in August 2017...dropped 40+ since, went from a 40 pants down to a 34 (those are now getting loose). Kept carbs in the neighborhood of 30g/day and still do, although on occasion (maybe once a month to every six weeks) I "cheat". When the weight loss became more stubborn to drop and I needed a jumpstart, I joined a gym and started biking to work again this spring. I feel great for it all.
Old 11-27-18, 07:50 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
As a former sugar/sweets addict, I don't know about feeling any better, but I can say for sure that you don't suffer the highs and lows of insulin spikes. Sugar is still my weakness but I've managed to cut my consumption by over 70%. IF makes it a cakewalk.
Yup - and I have been really having those issues lately. I don’t know if it’s just age, medications - I’m on a couple of new ones, one of them - buprion, has the known side effect of messing with blood sugar. It can cause it to spike, which is a known but not too common side effect. But much more commonly, it can cause hypoglycemia. I’ve had a couple of pretty uncomfortable bouts of that in the past few months.

The worst one was, fortunately, at home in the evening recently. Felt funny - and it progressed really fast to a heavy cold sweat, shaking, a bright green aura in my field of vision, nausea. It was pretty intense and uncomfortable for a few minutes. I was able to drag myself to the kitchen and eat a couple of tablespoons of raw honey and drink about a cup of lukewarm water. That helped pretty fast.

Truth In Advertising Disclosure #1 here - I brought that entirely on myself by being a glutton and by doing something I knew I shouldn’t do: it was on Halloween night about 9 pm, at bedtime, and I chowed down on probably at least 6 or 7 pieces - or 8 or 9 or 10 probably is more like it - of leftover Halloween candy, Reeses, Twix, Hershey’s, Snickers. “Fun Size” - but still enough to make me good and sick. Sugar spike, followed by a rapid insulin spike, followed by a blood sugar crash.

Truth In Advertising Disclosure #2 here - I was prescribed Buprion along with another drug, Naltrexone, about 4 months ago by a doctor at the Weight Control Center at a major teaching hospital here. That combination in one pill is being marketed as the latest weight loss drug, Contrave. They prescibe the two separately because insurace covers them individually, but not “weight loss drugs” per se. I have also tried some of the other WL drugs over the years, too, including Phentermime, Phentermine and Topamax, and Vyvanse.

None of them really did much for me - at best, temporary appetite supression that wears off by evening, which is my worst time to watch my willpower fade and “cheat”.

Truth In Advertising Disclosure No. 3: The reason I went back (been there before) to the WLC is because I feel disgusting and am disgusted with myself. I have put on a LOT of weight in the past 15 months. Stupid stupid accident last year - first thing I said to myself was “no matter what, I’m not going to put on weight.”

That was about 40 lbs ago. None of my clothes really fit well at all, both my cardiovascular and muscle conditioning are bad in there. Because of the various injuries and treatments, I’ve just had a hard time keeping up with exercise, which has been one key to my successes. Both my cardio and strenth fitness levels have declined tremendously, I feel completely self-conscious about how I look, especially around my friends from the gym and at work.

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
A couple of easy steps to wean off the "dirty" carbs:

1. Dramatically boost intake of salads and veggies ... with as wide-ranging a choice of veggies as possible. Great nutrients, which will have good long-term benefits above and beyond the drop in "bad" carbs you shove out of the way. Use olive oil and balsamic, spices and herbs, instead of squirt-bottle dressings.

2. The carbs you do have in the pantry can be the last. Don't buy any more. And make small batches of the stuff when you do go for it. It'll be gone soon enough.

3. Consider the carbs you do consume. Take each of them, one by one, and consider a reasonable alternative. Say, for pasta, do wild rice instead. Or, for wild rice, do lentils instead. For popcorn, choose an alternative such as jalapenos and peanut butter on flatbread crackers ... just keep the flatbread to a minimum. Slowly, you'll run out of the carbs stuff and have little other choice but to select from what you do have.

After a couple months, the body transitions to the new fuels just fine. It isn't as intolerable as you might imagine.
You are SO SO RIGHT. Everything you suggest is what worked for me in the past. I used to be really careful with my diet and it paid off. When I was in my best shape, I was doing a lot of “creative substitutions” like lettuce wraps instead of bread, Konjac noodles instead of wheat pasta, cauliflower as rice, mashed, or even baked/roasted as a French fry substitute.

My diet has just gone to HE** in the past few years. Not just post-accident, it’s been slipping back for a few years, but I had been able to compensate with exercise and keep my weight basically within or close to my target range. The carbs gradually increased and the protein has really decreased. Along with a lot more processed and convenience foods, carry out and fast foods.

When I think about how I was eating in the past when I was really doing well, versus now, it’s night and day. I was at my best adult fitness level when I was eating really carefully, high protein, moderate good fats, and starchy carbs restricted to low glycemic index choices and carefully and accurately measured out. A lot, lot more fresh, non-starchy vegetables, more raw fruit than now. Plus, tracking of all my food intake, a lot more water and a lot less diet pop (“soda” to most of you not from the Great Lakes region).

SO ... I’m going to recommit to doing this right. I signed up for 3 months of an exercise-based weight loss program with nutritional “supervision” - RD meetings and weekly weigh-ins. I’ve been dumping the “bad”’stuff out of my pantry and freezer. Stocking up on the supplies I will need to get back on track.

Wish me ... not luck. It’s not a question of luck, it’s one of personal responsibility. So, wish the me the ability to recognize that staying on track and getting back in shape is in my long-term best interest. And, wish me the resilience to persevere in the face of adversity.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 11-27-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 02:54 AM
KraneXL

Consider the keto diet enhance with IF? Also, if you know your weakness, the best prevention is to avoid them at all cost. I used to purchase fruit juices literally by the gallons. But since I stopped buying them, I haven't had any issues this year.

If you don't want to tempt yourself, keep it out of the house. So the craving won't get too out of control, I will reward myself one day a week, but only if I feel the need.

Exhibit A

Old 12-04-18, 11:33 AM
bruce19

So, I've been trying to limit my total carbs to 100g a day for about a week. I've noted a couple things. 1.) It is hard to find low carb foods. 2.) 100g is not much. 3.) Jesus how many carbs was I eating before? 4.) Am I ever going to lose weight? I have a long way to go. This should be interesting.
Old 12-04-18, 12:15 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
So, I've been trying to limit my total carbs to 100g a day for about a week. I've noted a couple things. 1.) It is hard to find low carb foods. 2.) 100g is not much. 3.) Jesus how many carbs was I eating before? 4.) Am I ever going to lose weight? I have a long way to go. This should be interesting.
I'd suggest starting with a wide range of vegetables, seeds, nuts and a small amount of cooked beans/lentils, many of which are suitable for a salad, adding to a soup, including in a baked meat dish, or whatever.

Consider salad "fixin's" like the following:
  • chard -- 6 cups (6oz), 4g carb
  • spinach -- 6 cups (6oz), 2.5g carb
  • spring onions (scallions) -- 3oz, 4g carb
  • onions (white, red or yellow) -- 3oz, 7.5g carb
  • bell peppers -- 3oz, 3.5g carb
  • green beans -- 3oz, 3g carb
  • snow peas -- 3oz, 4g carb
  • parsnips -- 3oz, 11g carb
  • broccoli -- 3oz, 3g carb
  • cauliflower -- 3oz, 2.5g carb
  • carrots -- 3oz, 5.5g carb

That's a big pile of cut veggies. You could double or triple the amount of leafy greens, with that. And still have a paltry total of carbs in the whole pile.

Add in your choice of herbs and spices. In an airtight bin in the refrigerator, that'll do for several servings. And in total it's ~50g carbs. But literally chock full of micronutrients from the wide range of veggies. Add a good splash of a quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or perhaps make up a simple pesto type sauce/dressing, then garnish with a small amount of a good cheese (ie, feta, or a goat's milk cheese of your choice).

To a given serving, you can then easily add chicken, beef, fish or other meat, seeds, nuts. Can add cooked beans or lentils, though these will have more non-fiber carbs than the other ingredients (above). (2cups lentils, which is a reasonable amount for all those veggies, is about 500cals, with nearly 40g carbs, but with loads of fiber, protein, potassium.)

Plus, so many fresh vegetables take up a lot of space in the stomach, so there won't be a lot of room for comparatively empty carbs that aren't so nutrient dense.

If you don't like raw veggies so much, take those same veggies and assemble into a casserole baking dish with your favorite meats, mix up with diced tomatoes, some tomato paste, olive oil ... and have a great meat+veggie bake.

Can get a special slicer that'll make "noodles" out of zucchini and other veggies, replacing your wheat noodles. Can make a pizza crust out of cauliflower and a few other ingredients. Can make up your own savory vegetable soup, if you've got time to make your own stock and soup, which will end up much healthier than any store-bought canned soup, and it won't contain any of the preservatives, nowhere near the salt, etc.

Suitable portions, with a moderate amount of "good" proteins and fats, and you'll be well on your way to nixing a lot of your overall calories, while feeling fuller, having longer-lasting energy, having vastly improved micronutrient intake.
Old 12-04-18, 03:05 PM
bruce19

Consider salad "fixin's" like the following:
  • chard -- 6 cups (6oz), 4g carb
  • spinach -- 6 cups (6oz), 2.5g carb
  • spring onions (scallions) -- 3oz, 4g carb
  • onions (white, red or yellow) -- 3oz, 7.5g carb
  • bell peppers -- 3oz, 3.5g carb
  • green beans -- 3oz, 3g carb
  • snow peas -- 3oz, 4g carb
  • parsnips -- 3oz, 11g carb
  • broccoli -- 3oz, 3g carb
  • cauliflower -- 3oz, 2.5g carb
  • carrots -- 3oz, 5.5g carb

I use the online FitDay.com program and it shows the carbs for most of those veggies about 40% higher. Not that it makes a big difference but I'm wondering if some of the other foods like any bread product are accurate. FWIW, I do eat many of those veggies and I have noticed that my daily calories are down significantly. Now I/m curious. I have to do some research. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-17-18, 10:33 PM
KraneXL

When I don't get enough carbs I just feel weak and low on energy. At this point I'm under the suspicion that lower carb intake for fat loss only work up to a specified fat percentage, and that once you go below that threshold it becomes a lot less effective. When I go on less carbs I don't lose fat, I just become a smaller me. For the record, I'm already down to that inch of fat around the midsection. The rest of my torso is lean.
Old 12-18-18, 09:46 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
When I don't get enough carbs I just feel weak and low on energy. At this point I'm under the suspicion that lower carb intake for fat loss only work up to a specified fat percentage, and that once you go below that threshold it becomes a lot less effective. When I go on less carbs I don't lose fat, I just become a smaller me. For the record, I'm already down to that inch of fat around the midsection. The rest of my torso is lean.
same for me
Old 12-21-18, 07:08 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Racer LEX
Started low carb/Keto in August 2017...dropped 40+ since, went from a 40 pants down to a 34 (those are now getting loose). Kept carbs in the neighborhood of 30g/day and still do, although on occasion (maybe once a month to every six weeks) I "cheat". When the weight loss became more stubborn to drop and I needed a jumpstart, I joined a gym and started biking to work again this spring. I feel great for it all.
Are you counting total carbs or net carbs? I find it very hard to get my carbs to anywhere near that. I'm counting total carbs btw.
Old 12-21-18, 10:06 PM
KraneXL

Are you counting total carbs or net carbs? I find it very hard to get my carbs to anywhere near that. I'm counting total carbs btw.
Simple, eat mostly meat. Then throw in some cruciferous vegetables on the side. I eat mostly broccoli and cauliflower every day. However, I still eat carbs, e.g. rice. I'd feel mentally confused and physically depleted without them.
Old 12-22-18, 05:41 PM
bruce19

Simple, eat mostly meat. Then throw in some cruciferous vegetables on the side. I eat mostly broccoli and cauliflower every day. However, I still eat carbs, e.g. rice. I'd feel mentally confused and physically depleted without them.
Well to make my point.....1 cup of brown rice has almost 50 g of carbs. That's what is so surprising to me. I have tried to keep to 100g of carbs per day and I'm amazed at how little that is. FWIW, I avoid things like bread, beer, and all the obvious high carb foods and yet...... I think my average is about 115g of carbs per day. That's with an average 2,000 cals per day. It's just surprising to me.

Last edited by bruce19; 01-07-19 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-23-18, 04:27 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Well to make my point.....1 cup of brown rice has almost 50 g of carbs. That's what is so surprising to me. I have tried to keep to 100g of carbs per day and I'm amazed at how little that is. FWIW, I avoid things like bread, beer, and all the obvious high carb foods and yet...... I think my average is about 115g or carbs per day. That's with an average 2,000 cals per day. It's just surprising to me.
Can make food choice substitutions for most things. In the case of "carbs" it can make dramatic improvements in the overall nutrition density.

Consider rice. 1C of brown rice is ~45g carbs or so. Deducting the fiber (which doesn't impact one's caloric intake), it still has ~40g.

A reasonable alternative that can be used in dishes in much the same way: lentils, versus brown rice. With 10% fewer overall carbs, one-third fewer "net" carbs, 3x the fiber, 2x the calcium and 10x the potassium, lentils can be a much smarter choice nutritionally.

Or, vegetables in general (particularly ones that aren't essentially starch storage units [as potatoes are, for example]). Leafy greens, cruciferous veggies, brightly-colored veggies of all sorts, etc. Most are fairly dense in micronutrients, but most don't add much in terms of calories.

To keep <100g/day in carb intake, let alone <50g/day, it's vital to do those two things: dramatically boost the overall vegetable intake, and to make smarter substitutions for every food item one consumes. If you have a much greater intake of vegetables, you can get sufficient carbs and largely do away with the "starch bomb" type carb foods (potatoes, rice, noodles, etc).

As well, ditch the packaged goods that are carb heavy, and all the bottled sauces and spreads. You can go a long way with flavors simply cooking better, using spices and herbs, lemon/lime juice and zest, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Learn to make a couple of decent "sauce" and "dressing" alternatives on the stove. With the right peppers and veggies, herbs and spices, along with a good olive oil, you can have much improved overall nutritive value with amazing flavors, without all the junk that "bottled" sauce makers typically put into their packaged products. Learn to leverage the juices that come from meats (steaks, chicken, shellfish, fillet fish). Make your own soup. which if decently spiced/herbed can become a marinade alternative to sauces and dressings for many entree dishes.

The rest is about portions sizes. Hard, at first, perhaps, but it's not all that difficult once the initial changes sink in and are part of how you prepare foods. After a few months, your tastes will change quite a bit and you'll likely find those "cravings" for carb-rich foods begins to wane.
Old 12-23-18, 01:38 PM
KraneXL

Can make food choice substitutions for most things. In the case of "carbs" it can make dramatic improvements in the overall nutrition density.

Consider rice. 1C of brown rice is ~45g carbs or so. Deducting the fiber (which doesn't impact one's caloric intake), it still has ~40g.

A reasonable alternative that can be used in dishes in much the same way: lentils, versus brown rice. With 10% fewer overall carbs, one-third fewer "net" carbs, 3x the fiber, 2x the calcium and 10x the potassium, lentils can be a much smarter choice nutritionally.

Or, vegetables in general (particularly ones that aren't essentially starch storage units [as potatoes are, for example]). Leafy greens, cruciferous veggies, brightly-colored veggies of all sorts, etc. Most are fairly dense in micronutrients, but most don't add much in terms of calories.

To keep <100g/day in carb intake, let alone <50g/day, it's vital to do those two things: dramatically boost the overall vegetable intake, and to make smarter substitutions for every food item one consumes. If you have a much greater intake of vegetables, you can get sufficient carbs and largely do away with the "starch bomb" type carb foods (potatoes, rice, noodles, etc).

As well, ditch the packaged goods that are carb heavy, and all the bottled sauces and spreads. You can go a long way with flavors simply cooking better, using spices and herbs, lemon/lime juice and zest, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Learn to make a couple of decent "sauce" and "dressing" alternatives on the stove. With the right peppers and veggies, herbs and spices, along with a good olive oil, you can have much improved overall nutritive value with amazing flavors, without all the junk that "bottled" sauce makers typically put into their packaged products. Learn to leverage the juices that come from meats (steaks, chicken, shellfish, fillet fish). Make your own soup. which if decently spiced/herbed can become a marinade alternative to sauces and dressings for many entree dishes.

The rest is about portions sizes. Hard, at first, perhaps, but it's not all that difficult once the initial changes sink in and are part of how you prepare foods. After a few months, your tastes will change quite a bit and you'll likely find those "cravings" for carb-rich foods begins to wane.
I agree with your logic if not totally with your terminology. I would refer to replacing starchy carbs with more fibrous one as "smarter" (well I guess it depends on your goal), but "alternatively" instead. If you're an indurance athlete, you literally won't go very far very fast without them.

For example, HITT is an alternative that can be used instead of fasted cardio, and just as effective if not more so. For those that are capable, and prefer to take that route, it can cut your training time in half.

Last edited by KraneXL; 12-23-18 at 01:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.