Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Shame on you Bike Forums!

Old 02-17-20, 06:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
and this...
I think that sending you spam from their server does not constitute selling your info. It's a fine line, of course.

Nice Avatar.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-18-20, 09:28 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Hi guys! So the good news is that we do not sell your information. If you check the sender, you'll note it contains "IB" (Internet Brands, Bike Forum's parent company). A company wants to send out an ad, sometimes not cycling-related, and we use our mailing list. But they never see any of your information. If you want to stop receiving those emails, simply click "Remove Me" at the bottom. Opting out/removing yourself will not effect your forum emails.

In regards to that "Do Not Sell My Personal Information" link at the bottom of the site, that's been there since the beginning of the year to conform to a new California law (IB is headquartered in Los Angeles).

Likes For IBJoel:
Old 02-18-20, 09:54 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
If you block then I'm not sure you get digests of your subscribed threads. OPT OUT of the ads instead.

Anyway, I don't get these.
I've tried to opt out of that as well, but still get like 30 emails on threads I have replied to.....annoying!
Old 02-18-20, 10:05 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Originally Posted by jadocs
I've tried to opt out of that as well, but still get like 30 emails on threads I have replied to.....annoying!
You may need to change your subscription notifications here: https://www.bikeforums.net/subscript...ewsubscription (you can select all and then change how often you get emails for them at the bottom of the list)

And/or change your default subscription notifications: https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.php?do=editoptions
Old 02-18-20, 09:29 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If that bugs you, all of the weekly notifications showed up in my junk folder and I've done nothing I am aware of to trigger that nor does whitelisting ever change that. I use outlook.live.com just so's you know. I guess I need to look at my blacklist.
Old 02-19-20, 11:42 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
If that bugs you, all of the weekly notifications showed up in my junk folder and I've done nothing I am aware of to trigger that nor does whitelisting ever change that. I use outlook.live.com just so's you know. I guess I need to look at my blacklist.
Your issue has nothing to do with BikeForums..... It's your settings on your computer
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-20-20, 03:24 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6755 Post(s)
Liked 5,462 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...did anyone actually watch the "presentation" ? I would love to have firmer-feeling skin and thicker-looking hair.
You will still have it on top of those "features" though...
Old 02-20-20, 03:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
Old 02-21-20, 03:26 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Your issue has nothing to do with BikeForums..... It's your settings on your computer
It's Microsoft. Seems that if some of it gets sent to spam it teaches itself to hate the rest eventually. IBJoel already asked. I can't find BF's email address in my blacklist.
Old 02-21-20, 03:28 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
It it helps you, I've never seen these newer spams and will just have to deal with crappy, rough skin.
Old 02-23-20, 11:26 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6755 Post(s)
Liked 5,462 Times in 3,213 Posts
Will somebody please tell IB that I empty my bowels pretty completely every morning?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-20, 11:34 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I just got one about my bowels. Really? bike lights, seats great. Bowels?
Old 02-23-20, 11:47 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I would have checked in earlier, but I was reading how to completely empty my bowels...
Old 02-23-20, 11:48 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Will somebody please tell IB that I empty my bowels pretty completely every morning?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, can we bring back the miracle formula anti-aging spam? I think I prefer that to that bowel-emptying spam.
Old 02-23-20, 12:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Well, Today's Bike Forums E-Mail is about how to sit on the can and take a dump. Fitting?
Old 02-23-20, 12:59 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Great for the weight weenies...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 02-23-20, 01:31 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
1) Open the offending e-mail
2) Scroll to the bottom
3) Click "Remove Me"

Easy
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 02-23-20, 01:55 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by grizzly59
1) Open the offending e-mail
2) Scroll to the bottom
3) Click "Remove Me"

Easy
Good point.

I ignore those links because most of my "spam" is from companies I work with, and I've diligently worked to avoid sending my name out to random mailing lists. It is never clear what random spammers do when you respond to their messages.

So, when you click on that link, it asks the question:
"If you wish to unsubscribe from ALL publications from Bike Forums, click the Unsubscribe From All button below. "
What is the answer? I do like getting the message notifications from Bike Forums, but dislike random spam about purging my bowels showing up masquerading as something I've worked with.

I did click on Google's SPAM link, so hopefully Google will start blacklisting "travel.ibemail.com"
Old 02-23-20, 03:37 PM
Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How to delete my account?
Old 02-23-20, 08:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Don't post anymore?

I take it that regularity isn't a big issue in Scandinavia?

We have the best irregulars around!
Old 02-24-20, 12:06 AM
CliffordK

Don't post anymore?

I take it that regularity isn't a big issue in Scandinavia?

We have the best irregulars around!
Stopping posting will stop the replies (or removing one's subscriptions). But, it probably won't rid oneself of BikeForums Spammy Bowel messages. (but, some of the methods above may help).

Many forums don't like removing accounts due to leaving orphaned messages.

I'm not sure what the e-mail verification is here, but one can direct all e-mail to a junkmail account that you don't regularly monitor.
Old 02-24-20, 07:13 AM
cathalferris
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cathalferris
I received the same spam email to the forum-specific mail I used to sign up, so I know for an absolute fact that it was sourced from these servers.

I'm from the EU, and I did not actively opt in to ads from BikeForums.net, or anyone else for that matter.

That's a GDPR violation right there, and means the owners of BikeForums are liable under those laws. Now, how to proceed with this?
The GDPR notice on the front of the website is also not GDPR-compliant - there's no way to easily choose to have none of the various types of cookies. Having the only option visible being to click "I agree" to whatever currently-illegal terms this site is requesting, is a violation of the GDPR regulations. Refusing access to the service when a user chooses not to submit to datamining and data selling, is also a violation of the GDPR regulations.

People here are also missing the point - we in the EU do *not* have to actively choose to opt-out of ads - we must be actively choosing in an informed way to opt-in to receive ads. I have not opted-in to receive ads, nor have I received any request to opt-in. I've just been sent ads using the information I've previously provided to this site, and that information is being used without my explicit permission by a third party.

It's poor form by this forum's admins, and the fact that another email has been sent to me by a third party without my explicit permission is not cool, especially when the forum admins have been informed of the problem. I'd suggest cutting ties with that ad provider as they've definitely broken any contract, as they've left this site open to legal action by their own actions. This site is also open to legal action due to the GDPR notice.

The resolution to the issue is not difficult nor is it expensive, it's an issue that's already been well-solved already.
Not solving it means that the fines are hefty..
Old 02-24-20, 09:36 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Originally Posted by billnuke1
I would have checked in earlier, but I was reading how to completely empty my bowels...
Originally Posted by making
I just got one about my bowels. Really? bike lights, seats great. Bowels?
Originally Posted by ahsposo

Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by tyrion
Yeah, can we bring back the miracle formula anti-aging spam? I think I prefer that to that bowel-emptying spam.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Well, Today's Bike Forums E-Mail is about how to sit on the can and take a dump. Fitting?
Did you guys all click "Remove Me" from the previous sales (anti-aging) email?
Old 02-24-20, 09:41 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Originally Posted by cathalferris
The GDPR notice on the front of the website is also not GDPR-compliant - there's no way to easily choose to have none of the various types of cookies. Having the only option visible being to click "I agree" to whatever currently-illegal terms this site is requesting, is a violation of the GDPR regulations. Refusing access to the service when a user chooses not to submit to datamining and data selling, is also a violation of the GDPR regulations.

People here are also missing the point - we in the EU do *not* have to actively choose to opt-out of ads - we must be actively choosing in an informed way to opt-in to receive ads. I have not opted-in to receive ads, nor have I received any request to opt-in. I've just been sent ads using the information I've previously provided to this site, and that information is being used without my explicit permission by a third party.

It's poor form by this forum's admins, and the fact that another email has been sent to me by a third party without my explicit permission is not cool, especially when the forum admins have been informed of the problem. I'd suggest cutting ties with that ad provider as they've definitely broken any contract, as they've left this site open to legal action by their own actions. This site is also open to legal action due to the GDPR notice.

The resolution to the issue is not difficult nor is it expensive, it's an issue that's already been well-solved already.
Not solving it means that the fines are hefty..
I assure you that our legal team is quite familiar with GDPR and we/our sales team don't take any action that is not to my knowledge within the law.

Here's our cookie policy: https://www.internetbrands.com/priva...ie-policy.html

If you have concerns about our implementation of GDPR, you can contact our legal team here: https://www.internetbrands.com/contact-us/
Old 02-24-20, 10:55 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Did you guys all click "Remove Me" from the previous sales (anti-aging) email?
I have now.

I find it interesting that "Remove Me" is BikeForum's official response.

In the past the company has been touchy about things like adblockers and script blockers.

I looked at the history of "travel.ibemail.com".

I seem to have picked up several e-mails about bikes, bike coupons, bike wheels, etc. There was one from BFGoodrich which is a bit off topic. Also a Guacamole Cookbook.

At least most of them were moderately on-topic and bicycle related, whether I ignored them or not.

On the other hand, I find the off-topic pseudo-medical topics to be EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. Reading the E-Mail, it is also a bait and switch... and mostly about diet. "By simply eliminating this harmful toxin". However, that is mostly teasers where one has to click on the links and videos to get the details which I just won't do.

Perhaps consider this....
If I copied/posted that E-Mail onto BikeForums. Appropriately in the "Pills&Ills"... what would BikeForum's response be? You'd likely get 1000 SPAM flags. The topic would likely be deleted, and I could be banned from the forum. What if I put it under Road Cycling?

Yet, this is unsolicited off-topic E-Mail sent out by Bike Forums, with an official "Bike Forums" Header.... And the response is to use our SPAM blockers, and click on "Remove Me"?

I guess I don't need to see the BikeForums "DealsLetter" and ads for a "New Wheelset" if you feel those should only be viewed if one also accepts off-topic pseudoscience.

I realize the official response is that advertising is out of your hands... BUT WHY IS THAT? Somebody is using your E-Mail lists, and adding your headers... and you would claim lack of oversight and control? Or did this garbage pass your internal review? Money trumps reason?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.