Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My first restoration

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My first restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-22, 11:32 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Just noticed, I was just shy of a year by two days when I started this thread.
Old 02-13-22, 11:41 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Looks worth the effort.
reasonable decisions made to forego nickel.

Easy set aside for me to undertake a project like this, I would have to dismount to reach the shift levers.

I appreciate these older machines but would also never be able to reach the brake levers.
Old 02-13-22, 11:52 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Well done, sir. I like this one almost as much as I do your "janky stuff". Your work is outstanding and I like that you documented the frame stripped.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-13-22, 08:18 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
A "cheap" frame suckered me in. Even adding paint cost, the overall frame cost is not out of control. But new chrome on the fork, a few correct parts and getting out what was put in becomes doubtful. No matter, I have thoroughly enjoyed the process and the bike fits in many ways.
Beats green fees, bass tournament entry fees, and hunting. Plus healthy fringe benefits.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 02-14-22, 08:05 AM
Dws77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wow! Fantastic job, congratulations on seeing it through. Beautiful bike, enjoy it!
Old 02-14-22, 09:27 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
The Frejus turned out wonderfully, Iab. I was away tinkering with other hobbies for a couple of months and missed most of the recent progress. There's a level of satisfaction with bringing them back to life that really can't have a dollar value put on it... If you can find it in your heart to look at it from such a perspective! Otherwise, I entirely agree, the price of a proper restoration for an old bicycle is typically shocking.

I just spent $400 on a completely original and rather amazing 1950s bicycle that I will pick up next Monday, which is every bit as nice as other bicycles I've started on with $400 frames and spent well over a couple of grand on. It can make you wonder!

-Gregory
Old 02-14-22, 10:52 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26414 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...that turned out very nicely. I haven't seen that many photos since my cousin's kid's Bar Mitzvah, but I enjoyed yours more.
Old 02-14-22, 01:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
The Frejus turned out wonderfully, Iab. I was away tinkering with other hobbies for a couple of months and missed most of the recent progress. There's a level of satisfaction with bringing them back to life that really can't have a dollar value put on it... If you can find it in your heart to look at it from such a perspective! Otherwise, I entirely agree, the price of a proper restoration for an old bicycle is typically shocking.

I just spent $400 on a completely original and rather amazing 1950s bicycle that I will pick up next Monday, which is every bit as nice as other bicycles I've started on with $400 frames and spent well over a couple of grand on. It can make you wonder!

-Gregory
Almost always cheaper to buy a complete bike.
but, often those have been "upgraded" over the years. So, not a panacea.
the vast majority of the bikes I have purchased fall into the whole but needing remediation.
sometimes paint, I now assume that almost anything vulnerable to neglect has been.
I have a number of dead bottom brackets to back this claim up.
sometimes to get what you want, the purchase is made anyway.
over the years I have retreated in a few ways.
TA water bottle cages, the Ciussi Inox cage is good enough, so are modern tires, tan wall of course, reproduction hoods, gave up and buy the No correct logo, better lasting now.
I appreciate when a bike is restored well like this Frejus.
there are few concours now, so satisfy to one's own satisfaction.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-14-22, 10:24 PM
hbsyncro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Sweet bike. The commitment is inspiring.
Old 02-15-22, 07:40 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Lovely. Time to savor that "Just finished" satisfaction.
Old 02-18-22, 10:00 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,477 Times in 1,132 Posts
Great bike. Inspirational restoration.

Thank you for the detailed photos! I'm curious about a couple details I spotted in the photos of the stripped frame:
There appear to be a couple of rings around the down tube just below the head lug. What are they, identifying marks from the tubing maker? Do you know the tubing maker?
I see what appears to be small amounts of bronze scattered across the bottom bracket shell. Do you think this was applied at the time of construction to provide a smoother surface for the original nickel coating? Other ideas?

Brent
Old 02-18-22, 01:31 PM
iab

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Great bike. Inspirational restoration.

Thank you for the detailed photos! I'm curious about a couple details I spotted in the photos of the stripped frame:
There appear to be a couple of rings around the down tube just below the head lug. What are they, identifying marks from the tubing maker? Do you know the tubing maker?
I see what appears to be small amounts of bronze scattered across the bottom bracket shell. Do you think this was applied at the time of construction to provide a smoother surface for the original nickel coating? Other ideas?

Brent
Excellent questions. Unfortunately I have no answers other than if you look at the unfinished frame photos you will see a Mannesmann tubing mark on the seat tube. Hard to see, but it is there.
Old 06-05-22, 03:07 PM
iab

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but one more detail arrived in the mail, see below. Also, due to some unforeseen and not great circumstances, the first ride on it was today. Lovely bike. It has been a while since I rode a CC and I forgot how quiet they are without a jockey wheel. And the freewheels from that period are also eerily silent, makes the experience all the better.

Another oddity about CC frames is that many are square, this one is 57.5x57.5. Typically, Italian frames from this era and into the late 50s, tend to be 1-2cm longer in the top tube than the seat tube. Of course there are exceptions to any rule, but in this case, along with long torso, the cockpit is a bit tight. I'll pay strong for a longer, proper stem.

Frejus 48 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Ambrosio Stem Bars 02 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab: