Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Maximum seat height

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Maximum seat height

Old 06-07-22, 12:14 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
It's a great idea. It gives the user a chance to see firsthand failure modes in compromised alloys subjected to cantilever bending. (But he really should spend his time riding looking between his legs to be sure he doesn't miss the key moment. And with the money he saves on a new post, he can invest in a bridge I'm proposing. Based on the breakthrough Tacoma Narrows design.)
You're on to something here. Larry's seatpost probably sways the same way!

Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-07-22, 12:53 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
It is hard to imagine riding a 47 cm frame when 58-62 cm frames are your normal size. I am 6' tall and ride a 57-58 cm frames. When I test "ride" my wife's daughters' bikes (42, 47, 50 cm) after maintenance sessions, it is pretty obvious that this is a really poor fit for me. I also know that there is no way I can set up any of those bikes to even come close to fitting me. My wife's 47 cm custom built frame is made to fit a 5'3" person.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-07-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 01:48 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
It is hard to imagine riding a 47 cm frame when a 58-62 cm frames are your normal size. I am 6' tall and ride a 57-58 cm frames. When I test "ride" my wife's daughters' bikes (42, 47, 50 cm) after maintenance sessions, it is pretty obvious that this is a really poor fit for me. I also know that there is no way I can set up any of those bike to even come close to fitting me. My wife's 47 cm custom built frame is made to fit a 5'3" person.
And just think, your feet will hit the front wheel when turning...
Old 06-07-22, 02:04 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
And just think, your feet will hit the front wheel when turning...
i think the OP has a thread on toe overlap as well.
Old 06-07-22, 02:11 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
i think the OP has a thread on toe overlap as well.
Hence my comment.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-07-22, 09:08 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Jesus, Dude! You can get a seatpost the right length for under $30! Get an actual seatpost, fer chrissakes!

EDIT: It doesn't matter how long the seapost is overall if there's not enough of it under the clamp. In fact, the MORE of it above the clamp, the worse the problem!
I think im just gonna go to Gebhard and ask his opinion, I don't like bugging him for bs but he owes me anyways because I brought him lunch some time ago.
Old 06-07-22, 09:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The lady helping me was insisting that my seat was too high, its over the maximum line by over an inch. The seatpost is very long and there is plenty to clamp on to, but she claimed that the lever arm could crack the frame. I haven't ever heard of an aluminum frame cracking from this, and she is very conservative/safety oriented. Always telling me that my wheel is too out of true or something or other. Have you ever heard of a metal frame cracking from this?
...pish posh, Larry. She's just an old worry wart. Look at this guy:

Old 06-07-22, 09:50 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...pish posh, Larry. She's just an old worry wart. Look at this guy:

Ive had to ride a bike that was broken enough to be a dandy horse, it was not pleasant. Would not do it again
Old 06-07-22, 09:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by himespau
Take the post out and learn to ride standing. It's the only way that makes sense for you with this frame.
...or get a lowrider seat post with some serious setback.

Old 06-07-22, 10:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Ive had to ride a bike that was broken enough to be a dandy horse, it was not pleasant. Would not do it again
...you mentioned something about pulling this one out of your "deep storage". Is it remotely possible your deep storage has a larger frame in there somewhere ? I really worry that you're going to crash and injure yourself badly trying to make this one work. Once youi total up the deductibles you'll need to pay, for the facial reconstructive surgery, it turns out that it's economically unwise.

I knew a guy once, Kenny Feder, who was doing a multi-year residency in oral and maxillary reconstructive surgery. He was a pretty creative guy, and some of the stuff he did for people was amazing. But it was painful, and it took years to accomplish with many of his patients, requiring repeat surgeries and all sorts of wires and adjustable braces that looked like something out of the Spanish Inquisition.

I've crashed and burned plenty of times on a bike, but I try to avoid the obvious stuff that will contribute.
Old 06-07-22, 10:17 PM
LarrySellerz

...you mentioned something about pulling this one out of your "deep storage". Is it remotely possible your deep storage has a larger frame in there somewhere ?
I've crashed and burned plenty of times on a bike, but I try to avoid the obvious stuff that will contribute.
Do you know the website bleacher report? The cofounder of that website got bought out over a decade ago for 60 million because he is a degenerate drug addict, he used to live in the house im staying at and left a very nice bicycle in the basement about a year and a half ago. I haven't used it because we halfhazardly intend on selling it and buying stuff for the house, but I may start using it at some point. Its a 54. He's currently in some motel with a prostitute and has forgotten about it. I was using the tiny bike because it is significantly less valuable
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-08-22, 08:10 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Sell them both and buy something that fits. Boom. Done and done.
Old 06-08-22, 08:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I did in another thread and people roasted me because I am fat without a shirt, haters... Honestly the seatpost isn't that high
Could someone provide a link to said picture?
Old 06-08-22, 08:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Do you know the website bleacher report? The cofounder of that website got bought out over a decade ago for 60 million because he is a degenerate drug addict, he used to live in the house im staying at and left a very nice bicycle in the basement about a year and a half ago. I haven't used it because we halfhazardly intend on selling it and buying stuff for the house, but I may start using it at some point. Its a 54. He's currently in some motel with a prostitute and has forgotten about it. I was using the tiny bike because it is significantly less valuable
Hey, have you come across my passport, by any chance? I think I left it in a kitchen drawer.
Old 06-08-22, 10:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,851 Times in 6,068 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Could someone provide a link to said picture?
Look in this thread.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-08-22, 10:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,851 Times in 6,068 Posts
I think im just gonna go to Gebhard and ask his opinion, I don't like bugging him for bs but he owes me anyways because I brought him lunch some time ago.
Gebhard's a responsible guy, plus as the owner of a bike shop, if he gave you advice that got you injured, he might be liable.

You're shopping for someone to tell you it's okay, rather than listening to everyone tell you it's not, complete with good explanations why. Maybe try taking the advice instead.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-08-22, 11:25 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Also dude, not only is your bike to small, your sandals are too small too. With your toes hanging over the end by that much, you're definitely going to lose one when you make a sharp turn with that kid of toe overlap on your wheels.
Old 06-08-22, 12:25 PM
LarrySellerz

Gebhard's a responsible guy, plus as the owner of a bike shop, if he gave you advice that got you injured, he might be liable.

You're shopping for someone to tell you it's okay, rather than listening to everyone tell you it's not, complete with good explanations why. Maybe try taking the advice instead.
I'll see what he says, he sold me that single speed and the brakes hardly work so maybe I should try to get him to fix that too lol. That bike didn't belong in his shop
Old 06-08-22, 12:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I'll see what he says, he sold me that single speed and the brakes hardly work so maybe I should try to get him to fix that too lol. That bike didn't belong in his shop
...all the cool kids who ride a single speed, ride fixed gear. The brakes are just there in case a cop stops you. Put a track wheel on the back of that, and you're good to go. Even I ride fixed sometimes, and I'm older than dirt. This might be the ultimate answer to your bike maintenance problems. It's pretty difficult to break a fixed gear bike.
Old 06-08-22, 12:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
oof. Found the pic. Makes my whole body hurt just to look at it.
Old 06-08-22, 01:42 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
he is a degenerate drug addict, He's currently in some motel with a prostitute and has forgotten about it. e

Hell yes !

Last edited by DMC707; 06-08-22 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-08-22, 01:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I have a hacksaw, many old seatposts, and a master welder who is my mentor at work. Could easily make my seatpost longer if need be, ill try to get a picture once I fix my phone and find a metric allen key to change the seat height. This post is pretty long as is, the rando who helped me raise my seat happened to do bike fits in the past, and he didn't see anything wrong with this setup (he commented on how long the seatpost was for being such a small bike.)
Instead of just buying a new seatpost, you are going to cobble together 2 seaposts and weld the aluminum together?
Old 06-08-22, 01:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I did in another thread and people roasted me because I am fat without a shirt, haters... Honestly the seatpost isn't that high
That bike has a triple. Is that the 'tripple' you forgot you have on your only road bike?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-08-22, 02:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That bike has a triple. Is that the 'tripple' you forgot you have on your only road bike?

I believe it's spelled "trippple".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-22, 02:31 PM
LarrySellerz

...all the cool kids who ride a single speed, ride fixed gear. The brakes are just there in case a cop stops you. Put a track wheel on the back of that, and you're good to go. Even I ride fixed sometimes, and I'm older than dirt. This might be the ultimate answer to your bike maintenance problems. It's pretty difficult to break a fixed gear bike.
Yeah I plan on riding fixed, have been putting it off because i'm still recovering from a broken neck/surgury to take out a verbetrae. Once im a year out from surgery i'll get a track bike, I know ill crash a few times trying to learn

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.