Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant TCR riders, exposed seatpost?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-18-22, 02:37 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts

I'm considering a TCR Advanced Pro, waffling between the 1 and 2 builds. Anyways, from a stack/reach/front center perspective, I'd ride a M/L, but that makes for about 250mm of seatpost exposed (790 saddle height-40mm saddle-500mm seat tube=250mm exposed). Is that normal or excessive for these frames? My mountain bike has 266mm of exposed post and my current gravel bike has 160mm exposed.

If you ride a recent TCR, how much seatpost is exposed? With 250mm sticking out of mine, I feel like I'd be pretty close to the min insertion of a 350-375mm seatpost.
Old 08-18-22, 08:12 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Get the ISP! Problem solved. As long as you don't care about resale value and want this as a "forever" bike, and don't need to lend it to others, just set it and forget it. I own a TCR advanced ISP From 2013 and it's the finest bike I've ever owned, def. won't sell it. The iSP is really dumb in concept, but it is also kinda cool. I enjoy the TCR so much that I am considering replacing it with a 2022 just so I can get the maroon color and have a lighter bike.
Old 08-18-22, 09:23 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
The C in TCR is for "compact" so having a lot of exposed post is both normal and one of the advantages of the design. I measure 270mm of exposed post* on my size ML MY21 TCR - and I'm 5'11", so the chart actually puts me in the overlapping zone where either M or ML should suit me. Obviously though the best advice to give you is, if at all possible, go to a Giant dealer and test ride some bikes to find out which size you're most comfortable on.

(*I actually have an ISP frame, but just measured the mast length where the post would otherwise be)
Old 08-19-22, 06:23 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
9'' (230mm) here on a Large TCR 2021. I am 6'1''. My previous TCR was a ML so it was sticking out even more (+30mm). Next one will be a ML again because I felt better on it, even if the long exposed seatpost looked odd (see my profile picture)...

TCR seatposts are high, very high. The C in TCR stands for compact. The top tube is angled a lot. That makes the seat post high and sometimes, an odd looking bike as compared to other models with straighter top tubes.

ISP or not, the Advanced and the Advanced SL have identical geometries so you will have as much seat post sticking out on one or the other.
Old 08-19-22, 07:32 AM
Phatman

Originally Posted by eduskator
9'' (230mm) here on a Large TCR 2021. I am 6'1''. My previous TCR was a ML so it was sticking out even more (+30mm). Next one will be a ML again because I felt better on it, even if the long exposed seatpost looked odd (see my profile picture)...

TCR seatposts are high, very high. The C in TCR stands for compact. The top tube is angled a lot. That makes the seat post high and sometimes, an odd looking bike as compared to other models with straighter top tubes.

ISP or not, the Advanced and the Advanced SL have identical geometries so you will have as much seat post sticking out on one or the other.
Ah, okay. We're similar sizes. I mostly wanted to make sure that I wasn't pushing any limits with the seatpost length.

Originally Posted by TMonk
Get the ISP! Problem solved. As long as you don't care about resale value and want this as a "forever" bike, and don't need to lend it to others, just set it and forget it. I own a TCR advanced ISP From 2013 and it's the finest bike I've ever owned, def. won't sell it. The iSP is really dumb in concept, but it is also kinda cool. I enjoy the TCR so much that I am considering replacing it with a 2022 just so I can get the maroon color and have a lighter bike.

Enh, the ISP does add cost though, they're ~$1000 more. And while I typically don't flip bikes, it still freaks me out a bit to make a permanent seat height change. Maybe I shouldn't be worried about it though, I've run a 790mm seat height for 10 years now.
Old 08-19-22, 07:36 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
It does have some adjustability, I think my old version has like 2 cm of spacers. I had them cut it in the middle of that stack so I can go up or down a bit
Old 08-19-22, 08:12 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
Ah, okay. We're similar sizes. I mostly wanted to make sure that I wasn't pushing any limits with the seatpost length.

Enh, the ISP does add cost though, they're ~$1000 more. And while I typically don't flip bikes, it still freaks me out a bit to make a permanent seat height change. Maybe I shouldn't be worried about it though, I've run a 790mm seat height for 10 years now.
Yep. the Advanced SL frameset is expensive as compared to the regular one. Never ridden one so I can't say if the extra stiffness is worth the money.

As long as you're not past the maximum mark indicated on the seatpost, you're fine. Also, once an ISP is cut, you can still add saddle height using washers. You don't have a lot of range to play with, though.

On a different note, I still don't get why the TCRs don't have hidden cables. Just saw the new 2023 Propel and the cockpit is, again, clean AF. I know it's a hassle to deal with for LBS mechanics, but I can't wait to see a similar cockpit on a TCR one day.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-19-22 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-19-22, 01:43 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by eduskator

On a different note, I still don't get why the TCRs don't have hidden cables. Just saw the new 2023 Propel and the cockpit is, again, clean AF. I know it's a hassle to deal with for LBS mechanics, but I can't wait to see a similar cockpit on a TCR one day.
I actually really like the setup on the new Allez Sprint, where the cables are like sortof hidden but not really. I just don’t like how the Allez frame weighs twice as much as the TCR’s frame and costs a hundred dollars more.