Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Old 08-20-22, 08:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
looking for a frameset only, not a complete. new or used in good condition, whatever makes sense
Old 08-23-22, 02:15 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
looking for a frameset only, not a complete. new or used in good condition, whatever makes sense
So the TCR stays as the race bike and the Venge is getting replaced?
Old 08-23-22, 07:03 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Yep
So the TCR stays as the race bike and the Venge is getting replaced?
Sorry for not being more clear. Venge stays, but want a new daily driver to replace to TCR.
Old 08-24-22, 06:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'm assuming you're looking for a used bike? There are not many rim brake options among the major manufacturers left.

I've been pretty happy with my Argon Gallium Pro for the last 8 or 9 years. (I'm friends with a dealer, if you want to look at a new option.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-24-22, 07:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah, trying to hold out for rim brake as long as possible. We'll see how that goes I guess.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-24-22, 10:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Giant still makes a quick release, low clearance, rim brake top-level road frame. Maybe I should just get another one. My 2013 really is a great bike, lively, light, stiff, quick handling and stable all at once.

Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-24-22, 10:28 AM
topflightpro

It looks like you can get a new TCR frameset.

You may want to check The Pros Closet or eBay. That might be an easier way to find a rim brake option.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-24-22, 11:22 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah, trying to hold out for rim brake as long as possible. We'll see how that goes I guess.
Same. I have way too many rim brake wheels.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-25-22, 07:50 AM
topflightpro

Our bike stable has gotten out of hand in terms of consistency. We have two 10-spd rim brake road bikes, one 11-spd rim brake road bike, one 12-spd disc brake road bike, one 10-spd disc brake gravel/cross bike with QR wheels, one 11-sped disc brake gravel cross bike with TA wheels, one 12-spd disc brake gravel bike with TA wheels, one 11-speed 27.5 MTB (TA front, QR rear) and one 12-spd 29 MTB (TA front/rear).

And I have three sets of tubular, carbon rim brake wheels - though one of the wheels is broken so I only use it to stretch tubulars. I'd consider selling some of them, but it's not worth the hassle at this point.

We are either giving away or selling the 10-spd gravel bike with QR wheels. It was my wife's, but it's way too small for her. Since getting her a new gravel bike, bother he main road and gravel bikes are both 12-spd Sram AXA. So that is nice. Part of me is tempted to upgrade my gravel bike to 12-spd AXS as well, to improve compatibility with her two bikes. Her rim brake bike just sits on the Kickr.

But for now, I'm planning to stick with my 10-spd road bikes as long as possible.

Oh and Tmonk, my wife's two 12-spd bikes are a TCR and Revolt. She likes that TCR more than any other bike she's had - which is why she got a Revolt.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-25-22, 10:02 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I test rode a Revolt a couple years ago at a local MTB demo weekend. Great bike, would ride, although I've yet to jump into the gravel fad. I say that facetiously - I think gravel is here to stay and more than the latest passing trend at this point.

I am starting to think that maybe I could get a disc/TA bike just to slowly begin modernizing my stable. But as long as 11s, rim brake, QR frame and wheel parts are available, maybe there's no point in doing it prematurely. But it is more challenging finding a modern frame now (case and point).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-25-22, 12:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Our bike stable has gotten out of hand in terms of consistency. We have two 10-spd rim brake road bikes, one 11-spd rim brake road bike, one 12-spd disc brake road bike, one 10-spd disc brake gravel/cross bike with QR wheels, one 11-sped disc brake gravel cross bike with TA wheels, one 12-spd disc brake gravel bike with TA wheels, one 11-speed 27.5 MTB (TA front, QR rear) and one 12-spd 29 MTB (TA front/rear).

And I have three sets of tubular, carbon rim brake wheels - though one of the wheels is broken so I only use it to stretch tubulars. I'd consider selling some of them, but it's not worth the hassle at this point.

We are either giving away or selling the 10-spd gravel bike with QR wheels. It was my wife's, but it's way too small for her. Since getting her a new gravel bike, bother he main road and gravel bikes are both 12-spd Sram AXA. So that is nice. Part of me is tempted to upgrade my gravel bike to 12-spd AXS as well, to improve compatibility with her two bikes. Her rim brake bike just sits on the Kickr.

But for now, I'm planning to stick with my 10-spd road bikes as long as possible.

Oh and Tmonk, my wife's two 12-spd bikes are a TCR and Revolt. She likes that TCR more than any other bike she's had - which is why she got a Revolt.
Mine is about as bad.

my 11-speed road bike
my 10-speed TT bike
my 10-speed CX bike
my son's 10-speed CX bike (we can swap wheels between the two CX bikes, which is nice because I can have sets of mud/hardpack/slicks)
my 10-speed road bike (Campy, this mostly sits on the smart trainer)
my 11-speed mtb (disc)
my son's 10-speed mtb (disc)
my wife's 7-speed hybrid
my son's FG road bike
SSCX (mostly used as a shared pit bike, although I'll put platforms on it for mellow rides with my wife and running errands)
Old 08-25-22, 05:12 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
In our main rotation:
my son's 3x8 24" Giant mtb
my daughter's 3x8 50 cm Trek 1420 road bike
the 3x9 road bike 55 cm Lemond Reno road bike I have for my daughter when she outgrows the 50 cm road bike (technically the 55 is the right size for her right now, but it feels tall to her after riding on a too short bike for too long)
my wife's 3x8 upright city bike (built on a Cannondale st400 frame)
my 3x10 Colnago Super/Suprissimo Piu (Campagnolo) that's on the trainer
the 3x10 Eddy Merckx Ti (Campagnolo) I'm building that I "needed" to ride outside because the Colnago is always on the trainer and I'm tired of jacking the seat way up and riding the 55 cm Lemond (my bikes are 62-64 cm) when we go for family rides
the 3x10 80's sport touring bike that's next in the queue - wide tire commuter / almost gravel bike - (Campagnolo shifters, Shimano derailleurs/wide cassette with shiftmate to make it work).

Fortunately, it's just my bikes that mainly need wheels swapped and my Colnago mainly sits in the direct drive trainer without a rear wheel because mine are the only ones where the wheels could be swapped.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-26-22, 06:36 AM
topflightpro

I test rode a Revolt a couple years ago at a local MTB demo weekend. Great bike, would ride, although I've yet to jump into the gravel fad. I say that facetiously - I think gravel is here to stay and more than the latest passing trend at this point.

I am starting to think that maybe I could get a disc/TA bike just to slowly begin modernizing my stable. But as long as 11s, rim brake, QR frame and wheel parts are available, maybe there's no point in doing it prematurely. But it is more challenging finding a modern frame now (case and point).
I have zero interest in gravel racing, but I have found myself doing more gravel type riding. It gets me off roads with cars, so if I just want an enjoyable endurance ride, it's an ideal option.

As for the Revolt, she got the TCR first - about two years ago. But her older cross bike was really just too small. So we checked out the Revolt a few weeks ago, and she really liked it, in large part because it is so similar to her TCR. After a few rides, she commented that she now kind of wishes she had just gotten the Revolt instead of the TCR and a second set of wheels to go back and forth between gravel and road riding. (She also no longer races, so she doesn't really need a race capable road bike. And even if she did, she'd probably use her old rim-brake bike again.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-26-22, 06:47 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
I have a thirteen year old cf frame (2009 Kestrel Evoke). Should I retire it? It has approx. 15-20k miles on it.
Old 09-07-22, 09:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Change of plans. After thinking about it, I decided to go more modern, or more specifically, disc. Gonna go 12 speed while I'm at it (Ultegra Di2 8170). I never swap wheels between my bikes anyway.

Found a labor day deal from a Tx bike store's web shop on a 2022 TCR Advanced Pro disc frameset, a few hundred under MSRP, shipped. This is half as much as a new TCR Advanced SL. The SL is sexier and although I would enjoy that, the deal was too good to pass up.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-29-22, 08:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Full disassembly cleanup of the road bike. I have all but one di2 cable ready to replace the mech. This way I'll fix a nagging issue with the Propel's horrible cable routing and mush shift feel. I'm rebuilding the brakes, the other mushy feeling bit. Cannot replace as they are what they are, but will make them smooth again.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-30-22, 07:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
2/3 of insulation and drywall up downstairs in shed. Next up is ac/heat/dehumid unit install.

I'm going to cheat on the mudding by just gluing chair rail over the gap between sheets, glue crown in the upper corners, and glue 90's in the inner corner. Basically just mud the drywall screws and any defects in the sheets.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-05-22, 07:10 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

The new is Giant built, 2022 TCR Pro frame, Ultegra Di2 12 speed, Bonty Aeolus 3 TLR wheels with Corsas/Latex, hydro disc, and the UK version of the Giant integrated SLR bar/stem combo, which was a total splurge. TBH the bar is a bit stiff and uncomfortable (for my daily/endurance bike), but I'm a light, powerful rider with a strong core so I'll manage. Plus it's so cool and makes me happy to look at while I'm riding .

I'll post some pics later, either here or the water cooler thread. It is a wonderful riding machine and quite lovely to pedal. The slightly more aero frame design and bar/stem do make it marginally more speedy than my previous 2013 TCR. Wheels/tires/tubes are the same, just disc version.

Last edited by TMonk; 10-05-22 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-23-23, 07:15 AM
topflightpro

I keep getting flats on one particular wheelset while riding my rollers. I have replaced the rim tape. Replaced the tubes and tires. Checked for any burrs. Confirmed my PSI is within the tire range. And everything should be good, but I am consistently getting flats, but only when on the rollers. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-23, 06:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
If the wheel set is clean then there must be a burr on the rollers.
Old 02-25-23, 11:26 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I keep getting flats on one particular wheelset while riding my rollers. I have replaced the rim tape. Replaced the tubes and tires. Checked for any burrs. Confirmed my PSI is within the tire range. And everything should be good, but I am consistently getting flats, but only when on the rollers. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is.

Any thoughts?
What kind of flat? single puncture? double?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson