Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fixed gear for training using an ASC hub?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fixed gear for training using an ASC hub?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 11:58 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I was told by my club vets to set my UO-8 fixed, keeping the brakes, to improve my pedaling. This was June. I was sold my first ride and have had one n my stable ever since (now half of my 6 bikes). That was 1976. The next year I worked in a bike shop and raced/trained seriously. Late hours at work, a friend of our mechanic used to come by and much of the time, the topic was fixed gears. They both had and had dissected ASC hubs. Both agreed that hub was probably not a good fit for me as they didn't feel it was really the tool for a racer; that I'd probably break it. So I stayed one-speed, usually close variations of 42-17. I've diversified the past decade by running double sided hubs and a custom fix gear with a very long dropout (not track end). Rode 5 Cycle Oregons on it, running 3 cogs on the mountain days and carrying the chainwhip you can see on my avatar photo.

So, comments - I don't know how old or how strong you are so I do not know if those mechanics advice about not using an ASC applies. I know Ann Arbor well and spent three years riding all winter, first on the UO-8 single speed before I was turned onto fix gears, then on the third evolution of that bike. Brakes - use two. Ann Arbor has hills that will be far nicer going up with both levers as handles and the drawbacks to having both to anything besides ego are very small. (And first time you have a downhill issue with your front, whatever drawbacks there were will vanish very quickly.. My workhose fix gear wore fenders year 'round, a then cable, now U-lock and a rack that evolved to a Lowrider. I highly recommend the Lowrider route. Out of the saddle rocking is the most civilized way to get uphill. But weight in back is a lever working at odds with your arms. Same weight in Lowriders doesn't affect out of the saddle and even wild rocking at all. (Just make sure your front tire is big enough and wheel strong enough. Loaded Lowriders kill front wheels that aren't up to it. They usual bunny hop and riding "light" don't happen.

Re: gears and fixed riding - early mountain road races were ridden on fix gears but double sided hubs. The peloton stopped and flipped at the bottom of mountains, My two recent fix gear bikes (the custom and my revamped Mooney) have been conceived of from the beginning as multi-speed but stopping and flipping the wheel or changing cogs as had to happen back in the old days. So changing gears requires a stop and loss of momentum. It is a commitment. But it also allows me to do rides to and around Crater Lake, next week in Oregon's Painted Hills and through the very far from flat west hills of Portland that nearly reach my back yard. And trust me, 42-23 or 42-12 fixed are just as real as 42-17. Like 42-17, sublime in the right conditions and like 42-17, oh-so-wrong in others!

Edit: The friend of our mechanic who didn't think the ASC was for me was this unknown fellow that went by the name Sheldon. Tubulars. No, my fix gears were way more proletariat and just wore working class sewups. 300g training cottons in summer, cyclocross tires in winter. I hit two streets in 6 mostly car-less winters in Ann Arbor and Boston that were un-ridable. One was an irregular sheet of ice, the other had deep car tire ruts in very heavy Boston snow. Went down on both three times. Walked the last half of the icy one. Very sore.
I'll take your advice about the 42 chainring! I'm 69 years old and not particularly strong, though I am going up some hills better than I used to! I took a good look at your avatar bike when you posted about the Oregon rides, and I'm very impressed! I've been out on a few pretty level 25 mile rides about 2 months ago and a few 10 milers since then. All of them felt pretty good but I'm trying to keep my level of effort conversational - the doc gets worried if I tell her I went harder, though my cardiac tests come out ok. An older fellow I met at Auburn, with racing experience, suggested the following: ride a fixed as far as you can and return in 15 minutes, to set a training criterion. Repeat that route every day until it takes you 10 minutes, then repeat to find the next criterion. Continue that pattern for perhaps a year, then go out and do longer rides. I think he saw this as a matter of base-building and I can't argue with that. On our local terrain (Ann Arbor) I used to ride the Huron River Drive route a few times a week, but my wife gets too anxious about narrow-shoulder riding, now. It's been improved to be a little wider but not much. The local area has a lengthy plan to build MUPs to parallel the whole classic ride route, but there are some major geographical issues near Ann Arbor, related to the Huron River setting and tributary streams. It hasn't all been engineered yet. If I drove out to Chelsea I'd be better off riding on the new MUPs until the Border to Border trail is finished up into Ann Arbor.

I think I would not be pedaling very hard at first, but later on I would. I have no clue what gearing I might need. I'll probably stick with my idea of building on a UO-8, especially if I want to add a front bag - the older forks have good geometry for a front bag.

I would plan to build it with tubulars. I also have a lot of experience with working-class cottons, namely the Thai-based Yellow Jersey tires.
Old 09-07-22, 12:27 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Might be something interesting in here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...fixed-hub.html
Old 09-07-22, 08:15 PM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Because of cost and fragility I would opt for the S3X hub instead. I would only consider the ASC for a museum piece. In regards to durability the first generation S3X shifter has slightly different indexing which will cause gears to slip and eventual failure of the sliding key. The hub is the same across all years and the sliding key is fairly easy to replace. The indexing on this hub is different from other hubs so you can't use any old sturmey archer shifter.
I got 10 years of use from a first generation configuration with occasional slipping/adjustment before the sliding key failed. After replacing the key and shifter (at Sturmey Archer's recommendation, their support is quite good) I haven't had any slippage over several thousand miles and hard riding (Eroica CA).
I find the lash on the S3X hub to be inconsequential for ridding. It doesn't work for track stands but provides the riding benefits of a fixed gear for training and riding around town. Surley cogs fit perfectly on the hub giving you a wide range for gearing.
Likes For rogerm3d:
Old 09-07-22, 09:26 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerm3d
Because of cost and fragility I would opt for the S3X hub instead. I would only consider the ASC for a museum piece. In regards to durability the first generation S3X shifter has slightly different indexing which will cause gears to slip and eventual failure of the sliding key. The hub is the same across all years and the sliding key is fairly easy to replace. The indexing on this hub is different from other hubs so you can't use any old sturmey archer shifter.
I got 10 years of use from a first generation configuration with occasional slipping/adjustment before the sliding key failed. After replacing the key and shifter (at Sturmey Archer's recommendation, their support is quite good) I haven't had any slippage over several thousand miles and hard riding (Eroica CA).
I find the lash on the S3X hub to be inconsequential for ridding. It doesn't work for track stands but provides the riding benefits of a fixed gear for training and riding around town. Surley cogs fit perfectly on the hub giving you a wide range for gearing.
Very concise post. I agree, and have a similar experience except that my internals and shifter were replaced by sunrace (good service experience) for free before I had any substantial mileage. Hub is solid, and although heavy and ratios being more spread out than ideal, it is consistently my fastest fixed gear bike.

I have done a lot of gravel, road, and urban riding with mine and it is trouble free once well adjusted. It's not perfect, but it is a multispeed fixed gear.

I am always on the lookout for an ASC, but the expense is prohibitive. That being said, it's my understanding that they were not overly popular in their day. I'd still love to plan a build around one someday, though.
Old 09-08-22, 08:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I haven't seen any prices on ASC yet. For S3X I've seen $200 to $250 on Ebay.
As @clubman noted above ~$500 for a used hub and the proprietary shifter is not out of the question.

I paid $180 for my new S3X a decade ago.
Old 09-08-22, 08:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by rogerm3d
So far (~ 10 years), I've had no problems with my S3X, and I do have the tool to open the hub in the event I need to service the innards.

The lash doesn't bother me, either. The S3X hub driver is both threaded and splined, so it can accept either a splined sprocket or a standard threaded track sprocket. A splined washer is supplied with the hub, so when a bottom bracket lockring is used to secure a threaded sprocket, no torque is transmitted from the sprocket to the lockring, and no risk of the lockring coming loose, as can happen when a track sprocket and bottom bracket lockring are used on a road hub.
Old 09-08-22, 11:08 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by bikamper
I hope I can kind of help. I do ride a 3 speed fixed gear, though neither an ASC nor an S3X. I use a modified FW converted to a 3 speed fixed gear using some parts from a trashed S5. It's also in a Super Course frame that I use for FG touring. It's a very sweet riding bike, and other than tubulars and a rear brake, set up like you proposed. There is some slop in low gear and less in the other two. It's just me, but I have never felt the 'fixed gear lash' to be an issue. I don't give it much thought. The modified FW has a wider range than the ASC. Comes in handy getting your lard butt up some hills. And, has a neutral position for when the need to get off your sore butt and coast a bit.
I never gave much thought to riding fixed to get back into shape as much as working on 'fluidity and balance', which can also be achieved by riding rollers. Though riding rollers, if we're being honest, is boring as hell. I will recommend you ride with some kind of foot retention, though something that floats to save your knees.
I'm thinking that you are considering something like this.

If lash is an issue and you can live with two speeds instead of three, a modified Bendix Power Brake hub is the way to go. Though the crude American cousin to Sturmeys' jewel like, and fragile, TF hub. It's butt simple, bullet proof, easy to build and parts are somewhat still available.
Well, I like that quite a lot! I wish I had a green Super Course! I have a green UO-8 frame with a bad fork and a good blue UO-8 with a good fork One of those will be the fixed cruiser donor.

I think I'll first build it as a plain single-speed drive with a fairly easy gear, to get used to the fixed experience. After that I'll see about multi-speeds, either flip-flop or gearhub.
Old 09-08-22, 11:21 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
As @clubman noted above ~$500 for a used hub and the proprietary shifter is not out of the question.

I paid $180 for my new S3X a decade ago.
If that $500 is real, then I would not seek an ASC - both for cost and for the possibiilty of breakage. As has been said im the thread, I am not even sure I'll like riding fixed. Maybe my first effort will be a single fairly moderate gearing, with brakes, fenders, and possibly a light TA or Pletcher front rack and a generator lighting set. Other points (hubs, rims, BB, chainset, pedals) to be settled later.

It will also show me if lash bothers me. My guess is it worn't but I really just need to try it.

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-08-22 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-09-22, 06:49 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 116 Posts
Well, I like that quite a lot! I wish I had a green Super Course! I have a green UO-8 frame with a bad fork and a good blue UO-8 with a good fork One of those will be the fixed cruiser donor.

I think I'll first build it as a plain single-speed drive with a fairly easy gear, to get used to the fixed experience. After that I'll see about multi-speeds, either flip-flop or gearhub.
Thanks.
You'll either love or hate fixed gear riding. It took me a bit to get used to it, but when I did it's been some of the most fun I've had cycling. It's kept me feeling young even if I ain't(66).
Old 09-09-22, 07:05 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

I am not even sure I'll like riding fixed. Maybe my first effort will be a single fairly moderate gearing, with brakes, fenders, and possibly a light TA or Pletcher front rack and a generator lighting set. Other points (hubs, rims, BB, chainset, pedals) to be settled later.

It will also show me if lash bothers me. My guess is it worn't but I really just need to try it.
The quickest, cheapest way to test out fixed gear riding is to install a threaded track sprocket on a threaded road hub, with a bottom bracket lockring to secure the sprocket. This set-up is often derisively referred to as a "suicide hub," but as long as you don't try to use your legs for braking the rear wheel, there's little risk of the sprocket loosening. Once you've decided to commit, you can get a real track hub or flip-flop hub to eliminate the risk of sprocket loosening.
Old 09-09-22, 09:36 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The quickest, cheapest way to test out fixed gear riding is to install a threaded track sprocket on a threaded road hub, with a bottom bracket lockring to secure the sprocket. This set-up is often derisively referred to as a "suicide hub," but as long as you don't try to use your legs for braking the rear wheel, there's little risk of the sprocket loosening. Once you've decided to commit, you can get a real track hub or flip-flop hub to eliminate the risk of sprocket loosening.
Thanks!
Old 09-09-22, 09:37 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by bikamper
Thanks.
You'll either love or hate fixed gear riding. It took me a bit to get used to it, but when I did it's been some of the most fun I've had cycling. It's kept me feeling young even if I ain't(66).
69 here, so I could use some of that!