Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage if Not Classic/NPR Story

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 11:08 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 227 Posts

https://wamu.org/story/22/08/26/this...ghan-refugees/

Heard this on NPR this AM. When I think back to my first bike in 1963, I remember what an ENORMOUS day that was. (And the bushes I crashed into) The world was suddenly a big place to explore (a block or two away!) The story also makes me think of skills that young people can learn by having a bike. The kids in the story spend hours together riding. Better than going down a rabbit hole on the internet. Whether a refugee or some being just poor, a bike is still a big deal. The department store bike that has 'no value' to an enthusiast may be a big deal to someone else.
Old 09-09-22, 11:47 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.

This hit me hard:
They’ve got other things to take care of before they can buy a bike. And then suddenly you present them with this free bike and it’s like night and day,” says Vera. “A father picking up a bike for their kids, and the kids don’t know about it, he’s going to be a hero when he gets home with a new bike, even though it’s used and looks a little bit old.””
Old 09-09-22, 12:06 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
That was awesome!
Old 09-09-22, 12:17 PM
Cibi42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
the power of bikes, and of generosity. thanks for sharing
Likes For Cibi42:
Old 09-09-22, 03:43 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
When I bought my SOMEC, I didn't even think I will get it, just told my friend, I'll use his approach on negotiating to offer a shamelessly low price. Since the ad stated "it is a SOMEC, so knowers should know what that means" I offered a shameless EUR 110,-, which was really low even when I think back based on the photos it didn't look promising, but either this or no SOMEC.... The seller answered, being super happy and sharing that he is actually just gathering money for the "Bikes for Africa" movement, and from this amount he can buy 4 if not 5 sturdy cheapo MTB's which better suit the conditions over there. I felt a relief that it really made him happy, and not because he was a clueless loser thinking he made the deal of the day for a 50 year old rusty bike.

Cut 2 roughly half a year later said friend, who also badly wanted one offered 140 for one in Austria where the seller also donated the money to an organization helping poor kids to participate in a summer camp.
These two made plenty of people happy I guess.

In the city I live its common to put stuff not needed anymore on the streets with a "for giveaway" tag, before the owner finally calls the trash co. for the ones really not needed by anyone, but even the trash co. is trying to give a second chance to furniture and bicycles before they scrap them..... cheap auctions for the better ones, and a dedicated giveaway portal where the ones in need can browse for stuff they need.