Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Find a vintage Peugeot bike- will be fun to practice cleaning/tune up

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Find a vintage Peugeot bike- will be fun to practice cleaning/tune up

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 07:12 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by EJM73
I have been looking for a Peugeot to fix up. They are not very common in rural Ohio.
There was one in Lindsey when they had their community garage sale in July. It was similar to the OP bike, but with fenders, rack, and lights. It may have been an AE 8. I debated, but decided I didn't need another project at the moment.
Old 09-11-22, 05:35 PM
yesterbik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Hello,

I hope everyone have a good weekend.
I've just finished cleaning the headset of my Peugeot.
All goes well. Very straight forward. Nothing damaged or lost. Inside the headset is pretty clean.
Cage ball bearing on top, loose ball bearing on bottom (25 balls). Before taking the fork out I let the bike down, a garbage lit under to catch the ball falling.

I clean all well, new grease and put them back together. Well done!

One silly thing happened- don't laugh at me - when I put thing back, bike lays down, I looked at the shifter and thought it on the top tube, so I put loose ball bearing in the wrong cup. And I realize that when I was about to put the fork in. Hahaha.

About the bottom bracket, I tried both methods, C-clamp and hammer, but it s still stuck ( I beleive my C clamp is not strong enough). If I keep try more, I think I will damage the cotter pin.
I spray some white lithium grease for now. I will find a better tool later.

Thank you all for reading.

Last edited by yesterbik; 09-11-22 at 05:47 PM.
Likes For yesterbik:
Old 09-12-22, 05:26 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 734 Posts
Congrats.
Riding a Varsity in 1971, I looked at those foreign lovely white Peugeots with lust. Still spins my hat around 50 years later.

I used a bench vise instead of of a C clamp to pop the cotter pin.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 09-12-22 at 05:31 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC: