Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recovery Drinks for Endurance Riders

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recovery Drinks for Endurance Riders

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 12:33 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
I drink Celsius BCAA

https://www.celsius.com/products/bca...ing-blue-razz/

I no longer have muscle soreness after I started taking this a few months ago..

https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Bet...s%2C230&sr=8-5
Old 09-12-22, 03:32 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Water, and food. Fruit.

About beer: I have a friend who runs, and he and all his clubmembers always stop for a beer or three or four after they run. There must be something to it. Unofficially, their slogan is "the running team that drinks".

I'm surprised no one has mentioned vodka yet.
Prolllllllly more of an European thing. Joking aside, I find that an alcoholic beverage after a workout is very good for reviving mental energy .

Last edited by eduskator; 09-12-22 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 05:31 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
For recovery what has worked best for me is a meat free diet during a tour. Pancakes for breakfast, raisins and nuts for lunch, rice or pasta for dinner with some veggies. Lots of interest and research in benefits of carbo loading but no one went the next step to realize that animal protein and animal fats were hurting recovery for athletes who need to perform week after week.

Important to start off without a deficiency in magnesium, potasium, or sodium. A blood panel test is a good starting point. As people age they are less able to absorb key nutrients and we also have a loss of micronutrients with our industrial agriculture so supplements are usually needed.
Old 09-12-22, 06:47 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
For recovery what has worked best for me is a meat free diet during a tour. Pancakes for breakfast, raisins and nuts for lunch, rice or pasta for dinner with some veggies. Lots of interest and research in benefits of carbo loading but no one went the next step to realize that animal protein and animal fats were hurting recovery for athletes who need to perform week after week.
Once again, this anecdotal evidence with no science to support it.

Athletes at the highest level eat meat daily. Including pros during grand tours.

Old 09-13-22, 04:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Myth.

There’s no special benefit to getting nutrition within 1 hour of finishing exercise. Unless you plan to ride some more that same day.
Is that official? According to who?

I just follow the general advice of experienced trainers

e.g. Mac Cassin (Wahoo Sports Science): "After the session is completed, it is crucial to replenish depleted glycogen stores. It is standard practice to abide by the 30-minute window for fuel following a workout. This fuel, whether post-workout drink or meal, should include a combination of carbohydrates and protein in about a 3-5 to 1 ratio."

I haven't read anything to the contrary. Even if the exact timing window might well be debatable I don't see a need to overthink it. If I take a protein shake straight after a hard training session I know I'll feel better than if I don't. If nothing else it signals to my brain that my workout is over!
Old 09-13-22, 07:25 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I make a protein shake with milk, bananas, whey, honey and greek yogurt after every ride. Sometime I add steel cut oats, but my daughter usually has some of my shake and she doesn’t like the oats.

I noticed a difference pretty early when I started doing this. Recovery was much faster. Likewise, when I run out of whey, I can def. tell.
I make almost the same thing after my rides. I’ll have to try the yogurt in mine though. I like to put a dollup of peanut butter as well.
Old 09-13-22, 07:36 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It is crucial to not replace glycogen immediately after a training ride, especially in the Base period where aerobic foundation is being set and the ability to oxidze fats

You read that here.

Different story once the season begins and higher intensities and demands on a daily basis are encountered.
Old 09-13-22, 07:38 AM
prj71

Athletes at the highest level eat meat daily. Including pros during grand tours.
Provide links and facts supporting this statement.
Old 09-13-22, 08:12 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by prj71
Provide links and facts supporting this statement.
Supporting the obvious statement that elite athletes eat meat?

Whatever.

- - - - - - -

What Riders Eat in the Tour de France

During Dinner: This is the big opportunity to restore what’s been lost. Riders will consume between 2,000 and 2,500 calories of a carefully prepared mix of carbs, protein, and fat. This includes pasta, rice, quinoa, and lean meats.

- - - - - - -

If you want further support for this "the sky is blue" statement, do your own googling.

Old 09-13-22, 08:19 AM
prj71

Supporting the obvious statement that elite athletes eat meat?

Whatever.

- - - - - - -

What Riders Eat in the Tour de France

During Dinner: This is the big opportunity to restore what’s been lost. Riders will consume between 2,000 and 2,500 calories of a carefully prepared mix of carbs, protein, and fat. This includes pasta, rice, quinoa, and lean meats.

- - - - - - -

If you want further support for this "the sky is blue" statement, do your own googling.
Lol. One small mention of lean meat at the end of the article. Otherwise mostly fruits and vegetables, protein shakes etc.

I suggest you rent this on Netflix and learn a little something.

https://gamechangersmovie.com/
Old 09-13-22, 08:26 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Lol. One small mention of lean meat at the end of the article. Otherwise mostly fruits and vegetables, protein shakes etc.
Yeah, so? Pro cyclists eat a lot of carbs. Another "well duh" fact.

Cyclists also have protein requirements, and they eat lean meat to supply the protein. Demonstrably true.

In other breaking news, the sky is blue.

Old 09-13-22, 10:47 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,596 Times in 2,904 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
How long is this endurance ride you speak of?
Nice bait. Everyone has different definitions of what constitutes that kind of ride. If I provide a number, people will either say it’s not enough or ridiculous and the inevitable arguments will ensue. Nice try

Old 09-13-22, 10:54 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Nice bait. Everyone has different definitions of what constitutes that kind of ride. If I provide a number, people will either say it’s not enough or ridiculous and the inevitable arguments will ensue. Nice try
It does seem pertinent to define what "endurance" means. Are we talking about 3 hour rides or RAAM?
Old 09-13-22, 10:59 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Here's an article that might help: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/t...ance-athletes/
Old 09-13-22, 12:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts

I suggest you rent this on Netflix and learn a little something.

https://gamechangersmovie.com/
As a long-time vegetarian, I really want to like this. But the arguments they provide are more anecdotes than real science, and apparently genuine scientists are critical of their arguments. The conclusion that a plant-based diet is good for you may be correct (and I think it is) but the so-called evidence they provide is apparently shyte.
Old 09-13-22, 12:39 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by mvnsnd

For weekend warrior athletes training two to three times per week, following a normal daily nutrition plan with no special additions is sufficient for optimal recovery before the next training session.
She also mentions sleep.

It does seem to get down to how many kJoules per week are we talking. I have done 1,000 mile weeks many, many times. You cannot eat or process enough food for that. OTOH, my typical ride now is 2-3 hours with 2500 feet of climbing 5 times per week and a normal diet is more than sufficient. No special insulin spiking sugary drinks are necessary post ride. But, at some level of load, you cannot replace your glycogen and anything you can do to help offset that deficit is helpful. Unfortunately, it is not possible to know the context of everyone's N = 1
Old 09-13-22, 12:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
How long is this endurance ride you speak of?
Bait? Nope, serious question. What qualifies a ride as an endurance ride for you? Don't know whether you are talking about a multi day long distance event or just a shorter 60 to 100 mile ride mixed in with more typical rides of 22 to 40 miles.
If I provide a number, people will either say it’s not enough or ridiculous and the inevitable arguments will ensue
If you thought about the guff you'd get for providing a number then why didn't you think of the guff you'd get for using the term endurance rides which means something different to a lot of people?

Use of the term endurance probably wasn't necessary at all since this is the road cycling forum and most road bikers are doing endurance riding of some sort.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-13-22 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 12:49 PM
GhostRider62

An endurance ride is probably at least 2 hours exclusively in zone 2.

A long distance ride is more than 100 miles.

Anyone disagree?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 09-13-22, 01:29 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
An endurance ride is probably at least 2 hours exclusively in zone 2.

A long distance ride is more than 100 miles.

Anyone disagree?
I do.

Zone 2 for 2 hours is an easy ride for me. I would barely breaking a sweat or even breathing hard.

A long distance ride more than 100 miles could also be easy if the elevation is low.

I just did a 19 mile mountain bike race over the weekend. Average I was in zone 4 for the 2 hours it took me to complete the race.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-13-22, 01:36 PM
GhostRider62

I do.

Zone 2 for 2 hours is an easy ride for me. I would barely breaking a sweat or even breathing hard.

A long distance ride more than 100 miles could also be easy if the elevation is low.

I just did a 19 mile mountain bike race over the weekend. Average I was in zone 4 for the 2 hours it took me to complete the race.
Easy or hard is not quantitative. Hard is not an endurance ride. That is where you fail to understand.

Very, very few can do a ZOne 2 ride with an average wattage in Zone 2 over the entire ride that is MORE than 100 miles. I am not saying you cannot, I am saying this is very rare assuming FTP is correct. For a RAAM level rider like you, it is trivial

Average power in Zone 4 for 2 hours is special.
Old 09-13-22, 02:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,596 Times in 2,904 Posts

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-13-22, 02:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Very, very few can do a ZOne 2 ride with an average wattage in Zone 2 over the entire ride that is MORE than 100 miles. I am not saying you cannot, I am saying this is very rare assuming FTP is correct. For a RAAM level rider like you, it is trivial

Average power in Zone 4 for 2 hours is special.
Really? Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious. I haven't made a point of doing a century+ this year, so I don't know if I have any on the books, but just looking over the last month or so, I have a few 4+ hour rides with average power in Z2 range and extending those efforts another 10-15 miles wouldn't have been terribly challenging. In the last couple of weeks, I also have a couple of 2 hour rides with average power in Z4. It's work, but doable. I don't think that my FTP is too far off, if at all, and don't think that I'm terribly special in the grand scheme of things.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-13-22, 02:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Average I was in zone 4 for the 2 hours it took me to complete the race.
I thought that you didn't have a power meter? z4 HR != z4 Power
Old 09-13-22, 03:06 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Really? Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious. I haven't made a point of doing a century+ this year, so I don't know if I have any on the books, but just looking over the last month or so, I have a few 4+ hour rides with average power in Z2 range and extending those efforts another 10-15 miles wouldn't have been terribly challenging. In the last couple of weeks, I also have a couple of 2 hour rides with average power in Z4. It's work, but doable. I don't think that my FTP is too far off, if at all, and don't think that I'm terribly special in the grand scheme of things.
Different gurus have different percentages and forgive me if my memory is incorrect but zone 4 is around 92-95%. Two hours at that pace takes good fitness and I was genuinely complimenting you. I recall posting that I did 278 watts for nearly 3 hours, something like 89% of FTP and people were calling me a liar. It was a Zwift race that I actually won. Two hours in zone 4 is not a fun time.
Old 09-14-22, 07:43 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I thought that you didn't have a power meter? z4 HR != z4 Power
I have a heart rate monitor but no power meter. Heart rate gets broadcast to my Garmin edge when I'm riding. I found it useful for indicating when I should back off a little on my rides/races so I don't blow myself up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.