Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Near Death Experience Today

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Near Death Experience Today

Old 09-18-22, 09:14 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
...(I have an extremely bright front flasher which can be seen a couple of miles away.)
Glad you're ok.

While understandable why a cyclist might want front and rear flashers, less enlightened cave-dweller types(the country is cocked full of them) might get pissed off by really bright front flashers. I use a rear flasher when it's needed, but not on the front..I don't see the purpose(..but that's just me..I find the really bright car headlights these days annoying too).
Old 09-18-22, 09:15 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Never happened to me when riding. When I was a runner, before the knees went, I had a pickup swerve towards me where there was no shoulder and fence right up to the street.

Given the wild west attitudes where I ride, I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of drivers who give me a wide pass. Some don't. It's adding insult to injury when the vehicle that doesn't has bikes on a rack.
Old 09-18-22, 09:17 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
He was probably texting. Cell phone need to be programed to shut off if moving faster than 10 mph!!!
Didn't we just have this discussion YESTERDAY?
Old 09-18-22, 09:22 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
not to mention the tens of millions who safely use their phones while riding trains, buses, planes, ferries… or just as passengers in cars. definitely not the solution.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-18-22, 09:37 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
This just goes to show you how yesterday's discussions are relevant to today's and incidences.
Old 09-18-22, 09:42 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One of the most annoying things I've encountered was at Crater Lake. I was descending at about 40 MPH down the middle of my lane. Fairly rough paved roads and a drop off to my right.

And cars coming uphill decided they had to pass other cyclists taking up half of my lane (including the space where I was riding). I'd wave my arms to make sure they saw me, but that didn't matter to the drivers.

It happened several times on that trip.
yikes!

Old 09-18-22, 09:46 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by holytrousers
I don't believe in Karma happening to others, but i do explain stuff happening to me because i've been doing something wrong, and i can almost always find the blame.
Have You been doing something wrong at that moment ?
Yeah, you caught me. I hadn’t drank from my water bottle in 20 minutes. Oh the shame.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-18-22, 09:48 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
(I have an extremely bright front flasher which can be seen a couple of miles away.)
On a bright sunny day pretty much no bike light is bright enough. The main problem is the tiny size. The human eye is used to ignoring tiny bright points of light like the sun glinting off of a chrome bumper or water.
On a bright day there is no substitute for bright colored helmet, clothes and socks.
Old 09-18-22, 09:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by ofajen
I had a scary event a week ago, though less personal. A car sped through a red light well after the light change and at well over the 50 mph speed limit as I was about to enter the intersection. I did a panic stop to stay out of the crossing or I would have been clobbered.

I always have the option to turn off and take a MUP trail tunnel under that road crossing but had been in the habit of crossing on the road if the light turns green right as I come up to it. Now I take the trail tunnel regardless, just to avoid the risk.

Otto
I am hyper careful at crossing intersections when my light turns green. Have seen way too many people running lights. Besides giving a long look both ways, I usually wait until a car first pulls away so I don’t get hooked.

Old 09-18-22, 09:56 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
On a bright sunny day pretty much no bike light is bright enough. The main problem is the tiny size. The human eye is used to ignoring tiny bright points of light like the sun glinting off of a chrome bumper or water.
On a bright day there is no substitute for bright colored helmet, clothes and socks.
Very true, but I was riding in a heavily forested area with very filtered light so my light should have been visible. Maybe too visible since it provided an ideal target.

Old 09-18-22, 10:02 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
It seems to just keep getting worse on the roads. Not just for cyclists. I have had many incidents in the last 2 years. One last week with a driver cutting short on his left turn, west to south, and looked like he was texting. He wound up in the turn lane I was in, going north to turn west, heading straight for me. Just as I started to swerve to my right, his head came up and he saw me, then swerved sharply to his right, missing me by maybe 2 feet. Not sure I could have gotten out of danger if he had not seen me in that last moment, or if I had not been paying attention. It shook me up a bit.
Old 09-18-22, 10:08 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Locally, a truck hit a horse and rider (12 yo girl) hard enough to kill the horse and send the girl to the hospital. Unfortunately, there are not-so-rare idiots out there that will cause havoc no matter how many lights we have or how big our ass is. Don't get me wrong, I use lights, bright colors, radar and even upgraded to bright socks. I just have to keep vigilant. RSBOB, you were vigilant and lived to tell the story. That's as good as it gets some days.
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 09-18-22, 10:50 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't know why someone would intentionally swerve towards you, but distracted drivers (checking cell phones, e.g.) often drift onto the shoulder or across the center line -- which seems a more plausible explanation. .
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't know why negligence is a "more plausible" explanation than malevolence in this situation. I've certainly been on the receiving end of both as a rider.
I think that poor driving is much more common than active malevolence, but you are free to hold a darker view of humanity.Since the OP provides no evidence that it was intentional (unless I missed it), I’m not sure that anyone can know.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-18-22, 11:01 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
...(I have an extremely bright front flasher which can be seen a couple of miles away.)
That guy didn't see ship! Not the road, not the curve, not the flashing light. Just his cell phone message for his next toke...

I am so glad you are OK...
Old 09-18-22, 11:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I think that poor driving is much more common than active malevolence, but you are free to hold a darker view of humanity.Since the OP provides no evidence that it was intentional (unless I missed it), I’m not sure that anyone can know.

I think the difference between deliberately crossing the center line and drifting over it is pretty obvious when you see it, and since he was there to see it, I'm going with his estimate of the probabilities. I agree that malevolent drivers are not typical, but it's not rare, close passing to roll coal being a very common example of this. This really has little or nothing to do with my view of humanity generally, that's a huge stretch. A small percentage of people are malevolent jerks, and they drive accordingly.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-18-22, 12:00 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
In the U.S., at least, many states hold that DUI, DWI or DWD manslaughter equates to a criminal murder charge. And so it should, if deliberately choosing to so wantonly disregard one's responsibilities on the road. Shouldn't actually require deliberate malevolence. Thankfully, a few states do indeed stiffly hold such miscreants accountable for their disregard.

Wouldn't call that a dark view of humanity. I'd call it legitimate accountability for wanton disregard of life and limb, through one's awful choices, irrespective of what those choices might be.

It's only those who behave without any such regard that are the targets, here. Certainly not everyone, let alone "humanity" as a whole.

Accountability needs to be harsh, particularly when lives are destroyed.
Old 09-18-22, 12:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Maybe question me on how I know it was intentional? (I have an extremely bright front flasher which can be seen a couple of miles away.)
A lot of drivers don't like bicycles with bright flashing front lights and find them very annoying and distracting. Maybe he was one of those people who hates flashing lights on bikes. There is really no way of knowing if this was intentional or not and what caused him to drift into an opposite lane.
Old 09-18-22, 01:00 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
FYI on cameras that OP mentioned briefly.

Higher rez = more graininess and/or need better memory and better lens and better software encoding

Higher frame rate = less blur, but poor performance in lower light

I wish cameras were a silver bullet. Enforcement aside, getting clear video of the incident (front and/or behind) AND plate numbers AND clear leading up footage AND undistorted view of main activity AND other objects in view to give sense of scale and speed is hard.

I am in the camp of just have a dummy camera as a deterrent. It is too much work to have a device charged and calibrated and all that when it does not work necessarily. Besides, the camera will not make riding next to 45 mph traffic pleasant
Old 09-18-22, 01:43 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A lot of drivers don't like bicycles.
That's all you needed to write.
Old 09-18-22, 01:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,384 Times in 2,733 Posts
Please send your RWGPS or Strava route to Larry, along with a bus ticket.
Old 09-18-22, 01:50 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Gear_Admiral
FYI on cameras that OP mentioned briefly.

Higher rez = more graininess and/or need better memory and better lens and better software encoding

Higher frame rate = less blur, but poor performance in lower light

I wish cameras were a silver bullet. Enforcement aside, getting clear video of the incident (front and/or behind) AND plate numbers AND clear leading up footage AND undistorted view of main activity AND other objects in view to give sense of scale and speed is hard.

I am in the camp of just have a dummy camera as a deterrent. It is too much work to have a device charged and calibrated and all that when it does not work necessarily. Besides, the camera will not make riding next to 45 mph traffic pleasant
I have used my barely adequate camera to post pictures here on Bike Forums. I have learned basic editting skills to save sections of videos which I have used to study a mistake I had made almost running into a pedestrian I couldn't see in the sun. And then for videos that just aren't adequate to provide to the police, I can one day compile and upload to youtube.
Old 09-18-22, 01:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
A lot of drivers don't like bicycles with bright flashing front lights and find them very annoying and distracting.
of the thousands of drivers you have interviewed, which number--precisely--told you this?
Old 09-18-22, 02:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I can’t provide any evidence you exist other than virtually but I have had enough bad s intentionally occur to me over the last 40+ years (including being shot at, air horn blared into my ear, being strafed by the same car 4 times as he kept turning around and coming back at me, a truck pulling off in front of me and wait until I approached and then spin their wheels to throw gravel at me, beer cars thrown, cherry bombs, intentional close passes when they had two full lanes, etc) the odds are extremely good it was intentional. If it was a late model vehicle, yeah I would tend to agree with you about the mobile phone, but the majority of these events occurred by beater vehicles. This was a beater too. Can I prove it? No. Can you prove it wasn’t? No. Looks like a stand off. I don’t think you really exist, but I do think you exist in a highly contrary universe.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-18-22, 02:14 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One of the most annoying things I've encountered was at Crater Lake. I was descending at about 40 MPH down the middle of my lane. Fairly rough paved roads and a drop off to my right.

And cars coming uphill decided they had to pass other cyclists taking up half of my lane (including the space where I was riding). I'd wave my arms to make sure they saw me, but that didn't matter to the drivers.

It happened several times on that trip.
I know where you mean. That part is hard enough without anyone doing anything stupid.
Old 09-18-22, 02:22 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
I can’t provide any evidence you exist other than virtually but I have had enough bad s intentionally occur to me over the last 40+ years (including being shot at, air horn blared into my ear, being strafed by the same car 4 times as he kept turning around and coming back at me, a truck pulling off in front of me and wait until I approached and then spin their wheels to throw gravel at me, beer cars thrown, cherry bombs, intentional close passes when they had two full lanes, etc) the odds are extremely good it was intentional. If it was a late model vehicle, yeah I would tend to agree with you about the mobile phone, but the majority of these events occurred by beater vehicles. This was a beater too. Can I prove it? No. Can you prove it wasn’t? No. Looks like a stand off. I don’t think you really exist, but I do think you exist in a highly contrary universe.
You would have to prove all these incidents were related.
Bad Karma ?
Likes For holytrousers:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.