Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why do C&V Riders scoff at stem mounted shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why do C&V Riders scoff at stem mounted shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-22, 09:42 AM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
Also the guy who mutilated that Montagner frame, please sell me that frame I will do it justice and you could buy a bike better suited to your needs!
Funny thing, I posted about the Montagner right after I bought it, and it seemed to draw very little interest. The guy who sold it to me said he got no other calls in 5 days listing on Craigslist. It is somewhat cosmetically challenged and appears to have few if any components from the original build, so I concluded it was a good light frame to play around with for urban riding. I have not seen a bike better suited to my needs in several years of looking. Also, I have not mutilated the frame at all. I was forced to do seatpost removal surgery, but it was successful with only a few small chips to the paint at the top of the seatpost.
Likes For albrt:
Old 09-19-22, 10:07 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Very interested in how you ran the cables...
Yup, as @bulgie shows, standard S-A pulley wheel at the top of the downtube, and cable goes right to the hub indicator along the right side seat stay. You can kinda see it in this pic:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-19-22, 10:08 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
A racer's first priority isn't ergonomics, it's speed.
You sure?

Originally Posted by jethin
I’d say it’s mostly snobbery.
​​​​​​​
Old 09-19-22, 11:37 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I guess I'm the only one who feels very unsafe using stem shifters. No way I'd shift during a descent or at any significant speed. Maybe I don't know how to use them properly?
Old 09-19-22, 11:49 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
I guess they're OK if they are original equipment, and one is trying to keep a bike as original as possible.

Why one would use them willingly in any other application is beyond me. Same with (un)safety levers.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-19-22, 03:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Back when I was a dumb kid, in the early 70s, I got a 10 speed, the usual cheap, heavy ones that were popular then. I "upgraded" it with stem-mounted levers and 'turkey levers' for the brakes, and, of course, I road almost exclusively on the tops, so reaching down for DT shifters, or having to get in the drops to brake seemed dangerous!

Then I got a drivers license and essentially didn't ride a bike again for something like 22 years.

When I did start riding again, brifters were available, so I got those, and subsequently rode tens of thousands of miles with them. Then, when I got a hankering for an "old fashioned" bike with DT shifter, I was initially concerned, remembering how terrified I'd been. Turns out, though, that all the time I'd spent riding with the brifters had improved my bikehandling to the point where taking my hand off the bars to shift is no big deal, even when I'm in the drops.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-19-22, 03:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Oh, but the answer to why C&V riders are rarely interested in stem-mounted shifters and turkey levers has to do with why people collect things like bikes, or cars, or watches. Most collectors seem to be most interested in the things they WANTED when they were younger, not the things they HAD. Guys who grew up in families that owned Ford Galaxies and Falcons collect Mustangs and T-birds, not Galaxies and Falcons. Hence, guys like me who grew up with heavy, generic "10 speeds", but wanted a lightweight racing bike collect lightweight racing bikes. So, no stem-mounted levers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-19-22, 04:58 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
You can get a new bike with stem shifters. The Windsor Wellington 1.0 is similar:

Save Up to 60% Off New Road Bikes, Roadbikes - Mercier Galaxy ST / ST Express Road bikes

I had a Sears Free Spirit 10 speed (heavy, impossible to stop in the rain) as a kid that had stem shifters and turkey wing brake levers. I should get it from my parents’ garage and restore it.
Old 09-19-22, 05:16 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I

Sure, if your Paramount came with stem shifters, restore the bike to it's original beauty. Just don't take it out and hope to stay in the pack if you're an average road rider. Paramounts deserve better

I actually think seeing a Paramount with those is pretty cool !
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-19-22, 05:18 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I actually think seeing a Paramount with those is pretty cool !
As long as you're wearing Clark's Wallabees.
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-19-22, 05:24 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I always thought they were inconvenient and uncomfortable to use. Didn't like them as a teen and nothing in the intervening half century has changed that opinion.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 09-19-22, 05:40 PM
Jimbo1983

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
Funny thing, I posted about the Montagner right after I bought it, and it seemed to draw very little interest. The guy who sold it to me said he got no other calls in 5 days listing on Craigslist. It is somewhat cosmetically challenged and appears to have few if any components from the original build, so I concluded it was a good light frame to play around with for urban riding. I have not seen a bike better suited to my needs in several years of looking. Also, I have not mutilated the frame at all. I was forced to do seatpost removal surgery, but it was successful with only a few small chips to the paint at the top of the seatpost.
Yeah I should probably apologise, it was slightly tongue in cheek as I live on the other side of the world so shipping it here would be difficult, it's a beautiful frame though. Sorry!
Old 09-19-22, 06:03 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
It’s interesting, ergonomically speaking it takes less movement to take your hands off the handlebars to shift on a stim mounted shifter than a downtube mountain shifter.

none of the high-end Italian French or English racing bikes use this. I admire the SunTour stem mounted shifters. Is it just a social thing or something deeper?
It's just a tell tale sign of a low end bike. Typically will have high ten steel frame, stamped dropouts, turkey levers, etc. There are ALWAYS exceptions!

Functionally they work fine. I had a buyer of a Trek 520 that was scared of bar end shifters. I offered to swap them with stem shifters. No charge. Buyer was delighted, seller was too!

For someone doing a MTB drop bar conversion, using stem shifters is the cheapest option, and they work fine!
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-19-22, 06:15 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
Yeah I should probably apologise, it was slightly tongue in cheek as I live on the other side of the world so shipping it here would be difficult, it's a beautiful frame though. Sorry!
No offense taken. I will take good care of the bike (other than putting hideous components on it), and barring major accidents the frame will not be in substantially worse condition when its time with me is done.
Old 09-19-22, 06:20 PM
albrt 

Originally Posted by wrk101
For someone doing a MTB drop bar conversion, using stem shifters is the cheapest option, and they work fine!
I love them for this purpose, but they only work with bikes that have the smaller stems. Most Specialized hardtails took smaller stems, but most Treks don't. I have not found shims or clamp adapters that work.
Old 09-20-22, 06:48 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 347 Posts
I don't scoff at them, but I admit to smirking.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 09-20-22, 10:17 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
As long as you're wearing Clark's Wallabees.

LOL ! I love that image ! --

I turned up precious little photos of stem shiftered Paramounts, but i know they existed as i've seen one or two examples here on the forum in the past --- however,

These ads were pure gold ! The lifestyle they tried to capture -- a fit couple staying "trim", an 'ol boy mackin' on chicks down by the pool, and the - well, - by modern standards that sure is an odd looking picture, but its Kip and Chip from Delta house taking a cruise around campus wearing spring fashionable attire !

I found a couple of pics of Schwinns with stem shifters but they were Continentals,

Old 09-20-22, 10:22 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
It's astounding that humans were able to couple up while wearing 60's fashion. Such a turn-off.

Oh yeah, you take them off. Carry on Chip!
Old 09-20-22, 10:55 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I learned to scoff at stem shifters very early in my cycling life because I wanted to fit in with the racer crowd... just being snobby.

But on those really tall bikes where you really tall guys have to reach way down to access downtube shifters... and for whatever reason electronic shifting or brifters are not options... stem shifters are better than barcons. I have never owned one but the bikes I've ridden with barcons were knee hazards.
Old 09-20-22, 05:36 PM
smd4

The less-expensive mid-1980s Centurions in my local shop—including my new Sport DLX—had stem shifters. And a bolt-on rear axle. The Prestige was not so equipped.

It was a no-brained what kind of shifters my next bike would have.
Old 09-20-22, 06:51 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
"Well, would you look at that. No stem shifters. And if the saddle is lowered just a bit, I might fit it."

No joke, she's looking directly where stem shifters would be mounted if they were there. That's the reason this photo exists.

Also, why is Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane hawking Schwinn Paramounts?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-20-22, 07:06 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts

...I remembered that I set up a Raleigh Competition once with stem shifters, a long time ago when I hurt my back. Scoff if you want to, but it was either that or quit riding for a while.

...but after all the peer pressure I got for it from C+V people, I eventually switched them over to barcons.

Old 09-20-22, 07:41 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...I remembered that I set up a Raleigh Competition once with stem shifters, a long time ago when I hurt my back. Scoff if you want to, but it was either that or quit riding for a while.

...but after all the peer pressure I got for it from C+V people, I eventually switched them over to barcons.

Take the stem shifters over Barcons. It’s between road rider and tourist at that point.
Old 09-21-22, 01:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
...I have never owned one but the bikes I've ridden with barcons were knee hazards.
In fairness to bar-end levers, one is supposed to first shorten (cut) the handlebar drops by at least an inch when installing them.

This 1975 Schwinn (with it's modified original steel handlebar and lengthened (by 2cm) stem) needed it's handlebar trimmed even when using "stem" levers, though only because of the bar's odd dimensions and that the Electro-forged Schwinn frames have such a short reach for their height (credit to the 70-degree seat tube angle, which pulls about three cm out out of the reach dimension).

Yeah, that's a Garmin and clipless pedals on a Varsity.

Last edited by dddd; 09-21-22 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-21-22, 04:13 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
Luckily I did not ask BF members for permission or approval before putting on a taller stem and stem shifters as one of my first geezer modifications, primarily for safety reasons, as it's a long reach down there for me on my 26-inch frame, and I am not as flexible as I used to be.

Fredo at Rio Grande

They are working well for me, almost as well as DT shifters, with the stiff, skinny Jagwire cables, and the Suntour barrel-style shifters. I always thought that the separate barrel looked kinda clunky and heavy, but boy does it work well. Just one JIS screwdriver to tighten, and it won't scratch up your stem, either.

Suntour stem shifters are just so cool!

My magnificant 'cockpit', above, and I typed that with a straight face!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.