Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Long pants...

Old 09-20-22, 06:08 PM
sande005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Long pants...

Definitely not the guy to be seen in lycra. Have biked (20-30 miles, 2-3 times a week) all summer in my trusty L.L Bean shorts, with padded cycling shorts underneath.
Will be snowbirding to warmer climes, where overnight temps will be as low a 40, with 60-65 during the day.
Any suggestions for a long pants to keep the wind/chill off on the cool early mornings - that come in large (42-44") waist sizes, that won't punish me like the seams on jeans would?
Old 09-20-22, 07:15 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tall...ng-tights.html

No affiliation.

Glenn
Old 09-20-22, 08:10 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,025 Times in 1,426 Posts
I like Pearl Izumi’s padded pants. The zippers on the ankles hold up better than others I’ve tried in the past.
Old 09-20-22, 09:36 PM
sande005

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Tights are not what you want to see me in! At least not until the miles and miles work their magic....
Google and Amazon give lots of hits for "commuter pants" So perhaps something more "pant like", with pockets, that I can wear the padded shorts under. Don't need to be fashionable for work, but also don't want to look like I just finished a class "A" ride. Not there, yet!
Likes For sande005:
Old 09-24-22, 05:42 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
This is what I bought for cold weather https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/methwicypa.html#
They are definitely warm and although not really loose they are not tight but still comfortable to pedal in. They're a bit expensive so measure yourself carefully and order appropriately. I have used Aero Techs return policy on a jacket and everything went smoothly.

One thing you will definitely want to pick up are toe warmers like these https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/neoprene-toe-cover.html
I use spd shoes or tennis shoes depending on which bike I'm on and either way the toe warmers a fantastic when it's colder.
Likes For Rotten:
Old 09-24-22, 08:25 PM
sixer

Bikes: 1982 Mercian Vincitore, 2014 Fitwell DeGroot, 1999 Raleigh M80, 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 2002 Ibex Classic 3300, 1978 Kabuki Track

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
You can always wear tights under your shorts. I do that for fall/winter commuting. I wear Aerotech tights that I also run in.

I don't know what kind of shoes you wear, but I have gore-tex overshoe shoe covers that I got on sale because I wear a size 14/49, but they cover your entire foot and ankle and help with cold and wet.
Likes For sixer:
Old 09-24-22, 08:59 PM
sande005

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions. If it drops below 40-45F I probably won't be going out.on the bike. I'm Minnesotan, so have lots of stuff that could be pressed into service down to -30F....but there's a reason I'm fleeing south this winter <grin>

Ordered some BALEAF MTB pants, and a similar item from Troy Designs. We'll see how the fitting goes in a few days! Weather here just turned to duplicate conditions in my new winter location, so will have a good test period beforehand.
Likes For sande005:
Old 09-25-22, 10:02 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My wife bought me some nylon workout pants but I don't know what brand they are. But they help in keeping my legs warm when I'm riding in colder temperatures. I bought a pair of reflective arm bands to wear around my legs to keep the pants legs from getting caught in the chain.
Old 09-26-22, 01:18 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I ride in baggy sweats when its not summer, and my pant cuff always gets snagged on the empty water bottle cage.
Old 09-26-22, 02:21 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Trouser clips.

Or the old "Putney Racing Suit"--cutoff jean shorts worn over long Duo-fold underpants. I guess polypro or wool would be OK, too.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 09-28-22, 07:09 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
These work even better, and have the added advantage of reflective strips if riding at night, and bright yellow to catch attention during the day:

Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-04-22, 12:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
I use cycling specific pants which are snug, not tight & they're not called tights, they're cycling pants. good luck with Baleaf online. I'll bet "MTB pants" are probably comfy. I'd recommend mine but they are not made anymore. one can find them pre-owned, usually in like new condition. I bought 1 pair new & another pair on Poshmark used. I see some advertised on ebay as well. I normally take a size 38" waist trouser but prefer the XL in this cycling pants. they aren't lined/padded so I wear cycling specific, tri-shorts, under them because they have just a thin liner for moisture management

Novara Headwind Bike Pants - Men's

https://poshmark.com/listing/Novara-...SABEgJ_qfD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28488972242...CABEgKIkvD_BwE

https://poshmark.com/listing/Novara-...iABEgL2RfD_BwE
Old 10-04-22, 06:28 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by sande005
Tights are not what you want to see me in! At least not until the miles and miles work their magic....
Google and Amazon give lots of hits for "commuter pants" So perhaps something more "pant like", with pockets, that I can wear the padded shorts under. Don't need to be fashionable for work, but also don't want to look like I just finished a class "A" ride. Not there, yet!
Luckily, we don't have to see you in tights. That goes for me too, but I ride in them anyways. I am a perfect aerodynamic profile, very round. I take every advantage that I can for riding in the wind.
Old 10-05-22, 08:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Luckily, we don't have to see you in tights. That goes for me too, but I ride in them anyways. I am a perfect aerodynamic profile, very round. I take every advantage that I can for riding in the wind.

reminded me when I was in the middle of an attempted body transformation, you know trying to change my body shape. & I was attempting to teach myself how to swim. I was fascinated by this one man who didn't look like a triathlete. in fact he was bean shaped w/ skinny arms. kinda like a water beetle. well let me tell you he was the best swimmer! gliding thru the water effortlessly, lap after lap, never seeming to tire
Old 10-09-22, 08:14 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotten
This is what I bought for cold weather https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/methwicypa.html#

One thing you will definitely want to pick up are toe warmers like these https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/neoprene-toe-cover.html
I use spd shoes or tennis shoes depending on which bike I'm on and either way the toe warmers a fantastic when it's colder.
Thanks for recommending these! I had no idea they existed. Last winter my main issues were toes and fingers. Already used the toe warmers once, and I also ordered a good pair of gloves for when temps get down below freezing.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 10-11-22, 08:44 AM
rumrunn6

I tried neoprene toe covers but they don't work for me. I guess the theory is, they are insulation & keep your warmth in. my problem is bad blood circulation in my feet, so there's no warmth to keep in. so I resort to those little toe warmer chem packs
Old 12-04-22, 06:46 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by sande005
I like the AB Commuter pants from Arctyrix. The leg is made to break at the knee, for more comfortable pedaling, and there is a gusset under the crotch to keep you from sitting on seams in the construction of the trousers. It also helps with lifting your leg over the saddle and disentangling yourself from the bike after a fall (God forbid!). The fabric is also thin but wind-resistant as well as flexible.

I've gotten them in person from REI about 10 years ago and a few more pairs from ... either Moosejaw or direct from Arctyrix just a year or two back. The legs run long but the fabric is such that it can be hemmed to fit. There are reflective patches on the cuffs which have to be removed and re-attached as part of shortening the pants.

The company also has the irritating characteristic of not showing items which might be seen as "out of season" when they feel like it, then they come back on the market "sometime." For me, I just keep my eyes open and if I find a few which will fit, buy.

Duluth Trading has a lot of pants which are designed for added freedom of motion, presumably for doing yoga outdoors in the middle of a moose hunting trek, but the claim to have gussets in a lot of their trousers. I haven't tried one yet.

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-04-22 at 06:49 AM.