Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

tubular tire noise

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

tubular tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 04:39 PM
hbsyncro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
tubular tire noise

just about finished with my 1984 masi restoration. fiamme hard silver wheels with vittoria competition rally sew ups (cheap from nashbar). i am not very experienced gluing tubulars, but followed directions on velonews, took my time and thought i did well and the end product looked good. when i ride (100 psi) there is a sound once per revolution coming from the tires. it sounds like there is an air bubble between the rim and tire and when this section is on the ground the bubble compresses and then then lets go and the glue gets pulled from the rim making the sound. it almost sounds like a sticky substance on the tread of the tire itself, but alas its clean. did i make a mistake during glue up? will it go away? start over? just ride it? cheers.
Old 10-28-09, 05:11 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
The only sound you should hear is "whoosh whoosh whoosh" when yer doing a full on sprint.

What you describe sounds more like some glue on the exterior, even though you say you checked that.

I would deflate them and easily try to thumb the tire off the rim, just checking for an obvious loose spot. Again easily, you do not want to break any glue contact just see if there's any spots that have none.

If the tire is securely glued all the way around I would just run 'em.
Old 10-28-09, 05:19 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
It could also be something stuck on the glue between the rim and tire, a piece of grass, leaf, carpet, etc. It won't hurt. If you ride fast enough, the wind noise will drown it out.
Old 10-28-09, 05:44 PM
mike alanko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the same tires on my Legnano, on Nisi Moncalieri rims and have glued 4 sets so far with better results after some experience.

What glue did you use? How much? (# of tubes, or ml used?)

How long did you let them sit before riding them?

What is the max inflation pressure of the tires again? I would inflate them to the max and let them sit 24hrs before riding again, if you're confident they're correctly glued.

100psi is a little low, in my opinion. I rarely ride at less than 120.

At low pressures, and sometimes at very high temperatures, I have seen tubular glues in their softer states make little noises like you describe.

Also, how are your spokes? Well tensioned all around? Were the rims new to begin with, or did truing include corrections for bumps / wobbles in them?

The Vittorias are nice tires, but there is the chance of the base tape being separated from the casing. I haven't seen this with Vittorias but did on Gommitalias and Continentals. This can be glued back down with rubber cement if need be.

Good luck!

Let us know!

Last edited by mike alanko; 10-28-09 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 05:50 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Vittoria Rally's ... It's where the valve stem isn't sitting properly in the valve hole. Every time the valve stem hits the bottom of the rotation it will make a clicking/squishing sound. Drove me crazy and I still haven't found a fix. Other comments in different threads have suggested this issue will go away, mine hasn't.

Scott
Old 10-28-09, 05:52 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I agree with Otis and OFG. if you deflate it most of the way and it stays on when you push on it you are good to go. chances are if it is a small spot where the glue is week it will work its self out. just enjoy.

OH where are the PICS?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-28-09, 05:53 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
Drove me crazy and I still haven't found a fix.
The fix is to get rid of crappy tubulars such as Vittoria Rallys. The valve stem deformation on them is unbelievable.

-Kurt

Old 10-28-09, 05:55 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by cudak888
The fix is to get rid of crappy tubulars such as Vittoria Rallys. The valve stem deformation on them is unbelievable.

-Kurt
Kurt, thanks. I thought it was just me.

Scott
Old 10-28-09, 06:00 PM
mike alanko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard of people leaving a 'blank spot', glueless, around the valve stem ... for mounting + removal purposes - Scott? Also at higher pressures I would expect the tire and rim not to move enough to make the stem move! What pressure are you running??
Old 10-28-09, 06:02 PM
mike alanko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

-Kurt
So what do you recommend? I've had OK luck with these... but would love something nice in period trim (gum sidewalls + non-futuristic tread).
Old 10-28-09, 06:11 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by mike alanko
I've heard of people leaving a 'blank spot', glueless, around the valve stem ... for mounting + removal purposes - Scott? Also at higher pressures I would expect the tire and rim not to move enough to make the stem move! What pressure are you running??
The stem base isn't small enough to fit properly into the rim hole, with glue or not. I've have Ukai's, Araya's, Super Champion's and Ava's and all the same results. The last wheelset I built up, with Sunshine Pro Am's and Araya's, I slightly countersunk the rim hole in my machine shop. That seemed to do the trick.

I run them about 130 psi I think? Pretty hard for me.

They hold up, their rugged but I probably won't buy them again.

Scott
Old 10-28-09, 06:13 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

So what do you recommend? I've had OK luck with these... but would love something nice in period trim (gum sidewalls + non-futuristic tread).
Good question ... and affordable for the everyday rider who likes tubulars.

Scott
Old 10-28-09, 06:18 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Something else I had happen on an old pair, probably not your issue, but my base tape was sticking out just a little and rubbed my brake shoe every revolution. I had to listen to it for about 25 miles before I got back to base.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 10-28-09, 10:19 PM
hbsyncro

its not the valve stem. the noise is once per revolution, but the valve is not down when the noise occurs. i'll deflate and check area. i'll uae a higher psi after and see if it goes away. i'll try to post pics tomorrow.
Old 10-28-09, 10:39 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I recently glued up my first ever pair of tubulars on my GL330 wheels. I had a similar sound come from one of the wheels when I first rode them, but it went away after a couple of miles and it's been very quiet since. I think it's all part of the base tape bedding in process into the glue where air pockets might have been trapped in between the tape and the rim. I have Vittoria Rally cheapies too, but despite a little intial problem with bedding in the valve area for the tire on the rear wheel, the tires seemed to have settled into the rim nicely after some miles. Very happy with the ride from the Rallies so far, maybe I'll try some higher quality tubies next time.
Dang, will I ever be content with riding clinchers again?? I guess I'll find out when I get my first flat on my tubulars!

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV
85(?) Vitus Carbone 7 Plus
Old 10-29-09, 07:21 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I've been fairly pleased with the 3/$50 tires from Yellow Jersey.
Old 10-29-09, 12:15 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
It could also be something stuck on the glue between the rim and tire, a piece of grass, leaf, carpet, etc. It won't hurt. If you ride fast enough, the wind noise will drown it out.
Some such small bit could also be hitting a brake shoe.
Old 10-29-09, 12:47 PM
DARTHVADER
the darkness

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no, it's a spot opposite the valve stem.

sounds like the OP has a spot where he didn't get a good glue adhesion.
Old 10-29-09, 06:53 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
The Vittoria Rallyes have a history of being lumpy. Shame because they're some of the few cheap sewups left in this crazy mixed up world. Next time I'm trying a set of these: https://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html
Old 10-29-09, 08:44 PM
hbsyncro

i deflated the tires and checked. all seems good. there are some spots where the tire comes slightly away from the rim, but it is very minor and doesn't seem like this could be the problem. pumped em back up to 120 psi and the sound is still there. i know i did not leave a blank spot of glue, but this seems like the most logical explanation (or the glue just didn't stick in that area). i will put in a good ride and see what happens. hopefully it goes away and if it doesn't, oh well.
Old 10-30-09, 07:01 PM
mike alanko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you may find you need more glue than you thought... i did!