Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Glacier National park

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Glacier National park

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 02:21 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Glacier National park

1. Going to the sun roof is still closed, and the expected opening is 2 weeks from now, according to the ranger I spoke to, at the St. Mary headquarters. Bummer, but yeah, there's been a huge snowfall and late summer. I understand.

2. Rising Sun campground is closed, "due to staffing issues". St. Mary has no hiker-biker campsite and the staff is busy fielding questions from a large number of visitors, and no very cooperative (what if I ride to riding Sun and pitch my tent on the site? "Law enforcement will drive you out"). I was handed a list of private campground and lodging facilities in the area.

So. Rising Sun is closed (staffing issues); Avalanche is closed and inaccessible (snow covered road). I'll try to figure out if Apgar is open and functional
Old 07-07-22, 03:17 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
The store at Apgar Villiage appears to be open based on this webcam.
https://www.nps.gov/media/webcam/vie...9AE4B7C186B022

Other webcams:
https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/photo...ia/webcams.htm

A map that might provide some help
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/directions.htm

If the Apgar hiker biker site is busy, Sprague might be less busy. Both are listed as full here, but that probably is the individual sites, not the hiker biker sites.
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/camping.htm

A decade ago there was a small general store at Lake McDonald Lodge, about a mile from Sprague. They wanted to see a photo ID for all alcohol purchases, even if you obviously look older than 21.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-07-22, 08:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
The campground status page does not show hiker/biker sites at Sprague Creek. As I think I mentioned, there is a big infield there. I seriously doubt there is no room for hikers and bikers. I once stayed there with probably a dozen other people when I crossed paths with ACA’s North Star tour. There are also a couple of places outside the park in W. Glacier.

So you going over Marias?
Old 07-07-22, 09:17 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I'm not sure that Sprague Cr. Campground has a hike/biker site, but there were a lot cyclist in this small area.

Several people on this forum have camped by that big Western White Pine.

There were 8-10 people at this site in the St. Marys Campground. This was 8-9 years ago, so things might have changed. The Covid outdoor surge has changed a lot of park's' dynamics.

There is also a hostel above Wheaton's bike shop in Kalispell.

Last edited by Doug64; 07-07-22 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-07-22, 09:51 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Sprague Creek has always had a hiker/biker campsite in my many visits to Glacier.
In 2019 they also had wonderful camp hosts who kept comfy camp chairs in the bear boxes for cyclists to use.
It's close to Lake McDonald Lodge and store for services, but there is traffic noise.
Likes For jamawani:
Old 07-07-22, 10:10 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Here is the latest info off of the Glacier N.P. "Bicycling" page - -
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/bicycling.htm

* The first paragraph and second paragraph have a different number campgrounds listed as having hiker/biker sites.
This is concerning, since it may indicate removal of hiker/biker sites without careful online updating.
For the past decade, there has been an additional $3 reservation fee (total $8) for St. Mary and Fish Creek - which is absurd.
With more campgrounds going to reservation status, there may be $8 fees elsewhere.

Cyclists should stick by their guns on Apgar, Fish Creek, Sprague Creek and St. Mary.
Speak to a full-time ranger and state that the NPS website indicates availability.
Ask to be accommodated in the picnic part of the campground. Politely, but firmly.

Many Glacier and Two Medicine also have had hiker/biker campsites for years.
They may not be listed in the first paragraph because they are not on GTTS Road.
Both are lovely, with great hiking, and worth visiting - esp. Two Medicaine if Logan Pass is closed.

Avalanche and Rising Sun have also had hiker/biker campsites for years but are closed this year.

Hiker/Biker Campsites

A limited number of sites at Apgar, Fish Creek, Sprague Creek, and St. Mary are available for those arriving via bicycle or on foot (hiker/biker sites). Sites are shared, with a capacity of up to 8 people; larger groups must split up or use group sites where available. If hiker/biker sites are full or campers do not want to share a site, hikers/bicyclists must use regular unoccupied campsites. Read more about campgrounds on the Camping page.

The hiker/biker fee is $5 per person per night for Apgar, Sprague Creek, Avalanche, Many Glacier, Two Medicine, and Rising Sun Campgrounds. In the reservation campgrounds, St. Mary and Fish Creek, the fee is $8 for the first person and $5 for every individual beyond the first. Hiker/biker sites are not available to motorcyclists. They must use regular unoccupied campsites.
Old 07-08-22, 04:47 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jamawani
Sprague Creek has always had a hiker/biker campsite in my many visits to Glacier.
In 2019 they also had wonderful camp hosts who kept comfy camp chairs in the bear boxes for cyclists to use.
It's close to Lake McDonald Lodge and store for services, but there is traffic noise.
Dude and his wife were soooo cool when I was last there in 2017. His wife gave me some oatmeal raisin cookies fresh from the oven when I arrived. He let me take some of his firewood. Built a fire one night and sat in front of it using one of those camp chairs. There was even an axe for splitting wood.

He takes care of the place and makes sure people are complying with food storage rules. He told me that the year before lingering snow up high had forced lions to hunt at lower elevations. One came into camp and killed one of the deer that came through camp every evening.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-08-22 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-08-22, 05:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Doug64
I'm not sure that Sprague Cr. Campground has a hike/biker site, but there were a lot cyclist in this small area.

Several people on this forum have camped by that big Western White Pine.
When I camped next to that same tree, I was in the hiker/biker site. But things may have changed over a decade.

The large area at Sprague is why I suggested Sprague in my previous post instead of Apgar, if Apgar looked crowded. I stayed at Apgar hiker biker site for one night, the tent pads were full of backpackers trying to get backpacking permits.

I took the above photo ten years and two days ago, July 6, 2012. There was still a lot of snow up near Logan pass that year, but the road had been open for a while. I took the photos below out of the shuttle van window when I was sightseeing by shuttle for a day.

Major bummer that Going to the Sun Road is still closed to Logan Pass. I think we were still in a La Nina weather pattern last winter, maybe that is why there still is so much snow up there.
Old 07-08-22, 05:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Side note: I think that the hiker biker sites use envelopes with your money to register that you are camping there. I do not recall if you could write a credit card number on the envelope or needed to have cash. But having some cash in small denominations for the envelopes might come in handy. (Yeah, we still use paper money for one or two dollars here.)
Old 07-08-22, 06:01 AM
gauvins

I'll be at Apgar this afternoon. Was told that Going to the sun road woukd reopen on the 8th (today). (!!). Will update
Old 07-08-22, 07:19 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Safe riding and traveling monsieur.
I'll be riding to Quebec city late next week, too bad you won't be there.
Old 07-08-22, 07:54 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Glacier N.P. will open Going to the Sun Road to hikers and bikers on Friday afternoon, July 8, according to this article.
It looks like there will be almost a week of hiker/biker access only since cars won't be permitted until July 13 at the earliest.
OMG - What an opportunity !!!!

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2022...ikers-weekend/
Old 07-08-22, 09:07 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
I'll be at Apgar this afternoon. Was told that Going to the sun road woukd reopen on the 8th (today). (!!). Will update
Your timing is perfect
Old 07-08-22, 09:20 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by gauvins
If the cycling road restriction is in place between Sprague and Apgar, that is something to keep in mind for scheduling.

When I was there a decade ago, there was no food available to buy once you go east of Lake McDonald store. So, bring your lunch with you if you head up the road for a day trip.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-08-22, 02:56 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
When I was there a decade ago, there was no food available to buy once you go east of Lake McDonald store. So, bring your lunch with you if you head up the road for a day trip.
Excellent point. When the GF and I rode up and back down the west side in ‘09 we didn’t bring enough food. There was road construction at the time. A nice woman flagger gave us granola bar from her sack lunch while we were stopped during the descent. We got to the Loop and devoured it.
Old 07-08-22, 02:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Side note: I think that the hiker biker sites use envelopes with your money to register that you are camping there. I do not recall if you could write a credit card number on the envelope or needed to have cash. But having some cash in small denominations for the envelopes might come in handy. (Yeah, we still use paper money for one or two dollars here.)
Correct, as of 2017 at least. Cash and possibly check only.
Old 07-10-22, 08:28 AM
gauvins

Was able to ride Avalanche>Logan pass yesterday. Great experience.

WRT biker/hiker sites, you can pay with cc.
Likes For gauvins: