Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

no love for a little cog

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

no love for a little cog

Old 09-07-10, 05:26 PM
hbsyncro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
no love for a little cog

not sure whether to post this in mechanics or here, but i figure mtb'ers would probably know the answer. the set up i am running is shimano xtr m 966 dual control brake (hydraulic) / shift levers and xtr m 960 rear d. i have a fairly new xtr/dura ace chain and gore ride on cables. the cassette is older, but looks good. the bike shifts all gears great except for the problem i am about to describe. the chain will not stay on the second to smallest cog when i am up OR down shifting. going to a harder gear, the chain will shift to the cog and then go back to the 3rd smallest cog when i let go of the shifter. going from the smallest cog the chain shifts and the automatically shifts again to the third smallest cog. the chain will stay on the second cog during a shift if i hold the lever down. as soon as i let go of the lever the chain will go to the 3rd cog. everything else in the drive train works fine and is quiet as can be. i actually want to use this cog as it is the perfect gear for going fast on the road when riding to the trails. and last, but not least i would prefer to not buy a new cassette. help.
Old 09-07-10, 07:20 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Possibilities: bent hanger, derailer out of adjustment(including limit screws), cassette improperly installed, shifter/cables/housing need servicing, drivetrain too worn.
Old 09-07-10, 09:07 PM
Shadow7874

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would see if you can adjust your derailer some. I adjusted mine on my old mtb yesterday and it helped reach the one gear i was having trouble with