Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I am just thinking out loud now.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-14, 10:07 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I see an number of threads on bikes and keeping them polished, careful cleaning, attention to small nicks, scratches, peeling of paint, and treating them as if they last forever. Now I do maintain my bike mechanically myself, build my own wheels, and keep the thing shifting and running smooth, but in the end I want to run the bike into the ground. I want to put miles on it and keep riding it till I decided I want a better bike. I don't care too much about the paint, scratches, minor details other than at some point I can say I have road this bike over xx amount of miles and time to get another. I wore out drive-trains, chains, tires and maybe wheels. Then I buy another set about riding it until it is wore out. Upgrades come only because something wore out or was not working as it should. They are not gems or precious metal they simply are tools to train and ride and wear out. I get the feeling at times not everyone is in this camp.

An bike with some wear on the paint and dull finish or even all scratched up from hard rides, that silently rides and smooth and shifts like a dream, now that is a bike I really like because it shows the journey.
Old 09-13-14, 10:18 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
You and I see this exactly the same way. There is, however, an alternative mindset that believes in the permanence of belongings and takes offense at their aging in any way. You won't change your mind, and you surely won't change theirs. I know. I have tried. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-13-14, 10:19 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Bikes are for riding, not polishing. Personally I keep the drivetrain clean and don't worry about the rest. Scratches, scuffs, all that bollocks, doesn't matter a damn. Obsessing about paint jobs is for poseurs.
Old 09-13-14, 10:32 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
Couldn't agree more. Bikes are for riding, not polishing. Personally I keep the drivetrain clean and don't worry about the rest. Scratches, scuffs, all that bollocks, doesn't matter a damn. Obsessing about paint jobs is for poseurs.
I mostly agree, but scratches from being careless or stupid bother me.
Old 09-13-14, 10:33 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Like all things on BF, it depends.

Some bikes strike there owners as art. My Cinelli strikes me that way. I want it to be pristine. Others may not find it visually appealing, but I do.

Some bikes are strictly functional. My SS and I were taken out by a car a few weeks back. Things are scuffed up, torn seat, scored up stem. I glued back what was needed, and kept riding it. I don't care in the least to replace the parts, as they are still functional.
Old 09-13-14, 10:36 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Reminders of our own mistakes are very annoying. I've always tried to just go with the, "it gives the bike character" justification. Whatever works.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-13-14, 10:37 AM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sure these comments are some what related to the value of the investment. I don't know anyone with a $5,000.00 + bike that does not look after it, which includes cleaning it regularly.
Old 09-13-14, 10:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Up North
I'm sure these comments are some what related to the value of the investment. I don't know anyone with a $5,000.00 + bike that does not look after it, which includes cleaning it regularly.
No, I beg to differ. Some folks take a utilitarian/expendable view of bikes, cars, whatever. In the case of houses, a periodic redo is accepted practice. But with bikes and cars, there is always the decision whether to repair (paint?) or replace.

But we 're not talking about maintenance. We are talking about worrying about dings and scratches that don't wash off.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-13-14, 10:41 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Reminders of our own mistakes are very annoying. I've always tried to just go with the, "it gives the bike character" justification. Whatever works.
I scuffed the TT on my 8 year old Pedal Force(from the first BF group buy), and even though there were many scratches from years of use, that TT scratch really bothered me.
Old 09-13-14, 10:46 AM
rpenmanparker 

I scuffed the TT on my 8 year old Pedal Force(from the first BF group buy), and even though there were many scratches from years of use, that TT scratch really bothered me.
Like when I grind my aluminum auto rims against a curb. Damn that hurts. Even though the car is leased and probably will get recalled after about 18 months with no penalty for the damage, that is really annoying. I try not to look at it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-13-14, 11:05 AM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with the OP.
I have a buddy that keeps his cassette so polished and clean it could be used as a mirror.
He also sparingly and infrequently lubes his chain so it stays mirror polished.
Result? His drive train sounds like one of those pencil sharpeners, with a hand crank on it, from back in our school days.

The Church of Cycling has a hymn they sing: (to the tune of Silent Night)

Silent Bike, Holy Bike
All is cleaned, not too bright
Round all versions
Of rider and bike
On our clinchers for miles and miles
Roll on silently please
Roll on silently please
Old 09-13-14, 11:11 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Up North
At current rates of exchange, I own two bikes that would each be worth in excess of $4000, though not quite $5000. I don't neglect them - I make sure they are mechanically efficient, and that means keeping the drivetrains reasonably clean. That's it, though, I couldn't give a toss about scratches and nicks and stuff. I bought them because they're great bikes, not to preserve in aspic as an investment.
Old 09-13-14, 11:13 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lanceoldstrong
I agree with the OP.
I have a buddy that keeps his cassette so polished and clean it could be used as a mirror.
He also sparingly and infrequently lubes his chain so it stays mirror polished.
Result? His drive train sounds like one of those pencil sharpeners, with a hand crank on it, from back in our school days.
I would lube the chain when he wasn't looking.
Old 09-13-14, 12:47 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I admit I clean my bikes from time to time, especially when they are relatively new, much like I used to wash and clean the inside of my car--when it was relatively new. I still do it, but less frequently. But it's still nice to drive around in a car that's clean, both inside and out. The same goes for a bike.

You can also thinking of the resale value of your vehicle (bike or car) when you might sell it somewhere down the road. If it's been cared for and looks 'newer', as less corrosion, etc., you might get a better resale for it.

Some people see it as pride of ownership too.
Old 09-13-14, 12:58 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've got a frame that I like and that fits me very well. I hope to ride it for a long time. Everything that's attached to it is expendable and/or replaceable.
Old 09-13-14, 01:12 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
An bike with some wear on the paint and dull finish or even all scratched up from hard rides,
How do you scratch up a road bike just from riding hard? And why would you let the paint finish go dull when you could polish it up in a couple of minutes?
Old 09-13-14, 01:15 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Retired so I have time.

Have had the bike for almost 18 months with about 8,000 miles. Rode 62 miles today and already gave it a preliminary wipe before I hung it up. Will get to cleaning the frame, rims, spokes, chain, derailleurs, cassette, crank early some morning before next ride.

Sorry to disappoint the masses but I enjoy a clean machine.
Old 09-13-14, 01:18 PM
Birthday

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige/7400, Gunnar Roadie/6800, Specialized Langster Steel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Obsessing about paint jobs is for poseurs.
Try this on for size: Imagine that someone puts every iota of mechanical care and every ounce of sweat into their bikes that OP does. Now imagine that this person,without justifying their preference to you, also enjoys having a clean, shiny bike. Am I blowing your mind? Now imagine someone whose bike looks terrible because they take awful care of it. Is your worldview rocked? Can these people possibly all exist?

Finally, imagine that this thread is tired nonsense, and that categorizing things in this way is pedantic and pointless, and that we're all here because we just like bikes in some way or another.

Edit: I also chuckle to imagine what MTBers would think of a bunch of roadies taking pride in their fine patinas of road dust and gradual component wear.

Last edited by Birthday; 09-13-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-13-14, 01:40 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
How do you scratch up a road bike just from riding hard? And why would you let the paint finish go dull when you could polish it up in a couple of minutes?
You scratch it up by leaning it against things, occasionally crashing it, having small stones flung up by the wheels. And you let the paint finish go dull because you don't care if it goes dull. Really. If the bike continues to work properly, I have no interest whatever in the cosmetics. I have never understood the "pride of ownership" stuff. I could understand being proud of something I had made, but why should I be proud of something that all I had to do was buy? Anyone with the money could have bought it, it's nothing to be proud of.
Old 09-13-14, 01:45 PM
Birthday

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige/7400, Gunnar Roadie/6800, Specialized Langster Steel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You scratch it up by leaning it against things, occasionally crashing it, having small stones flung up by the wheels. And you let the paint finish go dull because you don't care if it goes dull. Really. If the bike continues to work properly, I have no interest whatever in the cosmetics. I have never understood the "pride of ownership" stuff. I could understand being proud of something I had made, but why should I be proud of something that all I had to do was buy? Anyone with the money could have bought it, it's nothing to be proud of.
Why wash your clothes? Why wash your car? Why clean your house? Why shave? Why bathe?

Why get bent out of shape when someone else does this things? I can't imagine there's a difference in effort between whinging on the internet about running a rag over a bike every once in a while, and actually running a rag over a bike.
Old 09-13-14, 01:52 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Birthday
Why wash your clothes? Why wash your car? Why clean your house? Why shave? Why bathe?

Why get bent out of shape when someone else does this things? I can't imagine there's a difference in effort between whinging on the internet about running a rag over a bike every once in a while, and actually running a rag over a bike.
Who's bent out of shape? We're just making conversation, here.

As it happens I wash my car, like my bike, only when contact with it is likely to make me or my clothes dirty.

Houses, clothes, one's person, they are in a different category. Bikes tend not to get verminous.
Old 09-13-14, 02:17 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
x2
Old 09-13-14, 02:19 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i wouldn't want to see your teeth, yuck!
Old 09-13-14, 02:30 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Meh. Some people put a muddy spade back in the garden shed, some rinse them off first and others dry and oil them. To each his own.
Old 09-13-14, 02:46 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Like all things on BF, it depends.

Some bikes strike there owners as art. My Cinelli strikes me that way. I want it to be pristine. Others may not find it visually appealing, but I do.

Some bikes are strictly functional. My SS and I were taken out by a car a few weeks back. Things are scuffed up, torn seat, scored up stem. I glued back what was needed, and kept riding it. I don't care in the least to replace the parts, as they are still functional.
This^^. My bikes are pristine and well ridden, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.