Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Bar End Mirror would you recommend?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-21-14, 08:34 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I read the post and threads on mirrors. I haven't been riding as long as a number of you but I'd probably label myself as an "experienced" road rider but I don't use a mirror. I've tried the helmet and glasses mirrors and just can't get used to those. I probably rely on my hearing and always looking back before turning left to keep me as safe as possible. Most of the roads I ride on are pretty rural with medium to light traffic levels.

I've seen various bar end mirrors for road bikes and I'm wondering what model you've found to work well. Just doing a quick search I see that Performance, REI and Spintech are a few out there that might work. It seems most of the online complaints are the images are too small for what is really needed though. I was riding with a fella a couple weeks ago that had one that was slightly larger than those I've seen online (probably not a convex style) and I sure which I'd gotten the information on his. It was just a random hookup on an organized ride and I'll probably never run into him again.

So for those that use bar end mirrors for drop bars what model do you use?
Old 10-21-14, 08:41 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I am just the opposite -- I have never cared for bike-mounted mirrors, but I am delighted with my CycleAware helmet-mount, which I have been using for more than a decade. I had tried various eyeglass mirrors back in the 1970s, but none were satisfactory.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-21-14, 08:48 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My wife and I use a bar-end mirrors from CycleAware. They work well for us!

https://www.cycleaware.com

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-21-14, 08:51 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Sorry ... I can't give you a recommendation, cuz I've never used a handlebar mounted mirror.

I use this helmet-mounted mirror. I've also recommended it to others who have not liked helmet mounted mirrors, and they've all been converted. I love-love-love using a rear view mirror ... feel naked without one.

Foam Helmet Mirror - Sport Chalet

Old 10-21-14, 08:55 AM
mox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use a mirror, but here's an inexpensive one Adjustable Cycling Bike Bicycle Handlebar Bar End Mirror Rear View Glass New-in Bicycle Handlebar from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 10-21-14, 09:02 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I have only used AVT - Italian Road Bike Mirror Installation Instructions so can't comment on which is best. The pros for me are small size, they don't protrude, made of slightly convex glass so the visibility is good. The con, it is fixed position so not great if you ride in different positions.

They are great for spotting distant traffic or less disciplined riders you can't keep track of.
Old 10-21-14, 09:40 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I have a pretty large preference for this style of mirror. It's out of the way and aero. I have one on almost every one of my bikes.

I always go to my local bike shop first, but here's a link from Performance Bike

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...401033__401033
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
roadie.jpg (1.5 KB, 343 views)
Old 10-21-14, 09:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I have only used AVT - Italian Road Bike Mirror Installation Instructions so can't comment on which is best. The pros for me are small size, they don't protrude, made of slightly convex glass so the visibility is good. The con, it is fixed position so not great if you ride in different positions.

They are great for spotting distant traffic or less disciplined riders you can't keep track of.
Exactly what I was about to post. Use this on my Masi. When I bought a used Guru I went to this mirror (https://www.cycleaware.com/index.php?...roducts_id=116) that mounts on a swivel where the bar plug is. Nice mirror but getting it to hold it's position is a PITA. Finally got it where I wanted it, filled the gap with rubberized movers cloth and taped around the swivel part. Seems to be working well.
Old 10-21-14, 10:34 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Is it trial and error to get this one adjusted to the proper angle? I'm guessing that when installing you sit in the position you use the most and try and put the mirror in that position, and then tape it to the bars?
Old 10-21-14, 10:47 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Interesting discussion here. I'm really not a fan of handlebar-mounted mirrors, but WTH. I think I might give one a try. It can't hurt!

Old 10-21-14, 10:57 AM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have the Sprintech mirror. It works OK. It is better than nothing.
Old 10-21-14, 11:33 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Is it trial and error to get this one adjusted to the proper angle? I'm guessing that when installing you sit in the position you use the most and try and put the mirror in that position, and then tape it to the bars?
That is correct. I drag my trainer out to the road and do it. Once adjusted it is just a matter of taping the bars as per normal.
Old 10-21-14, 11:41 AM
Phlorida

Bikes: 17 Spot Acme, 14 Lynskey Peleton

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linnefaulk
i have the Sprintech as well although only for the left side. I really like it and I doubt that I would ride without one again. I can clearly see if there is traffic on my left although I couldn't identify what kind in the small image. It is very easy to adjust while riding.
Old 10-21-14, 12:23 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I've had good luck with the Third Eye Bar End Mirror. Third Eye® Mirrors I have them on both road bikes.
Old 10-21-14, 12:59 PM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I can't speak highly enough about this thing Robot Check

It works great on flat bars where it inserts into the end of the tube. It comes with easy adaptors for different tube diameters. I don't know how it would work on different types of bars.

I've had quite a few tumbles on my bike and it's taken a beating but has never broken.

Also, I found that rural riding is where I most need a mirror. Riding in traffic I find I'm always hyper-sensitive to what's going on around me, but riding on quieter lanes it's easy to lose concentration and get taken by surprise when a car comes up to pass.

EDIT: Ooops....looks like the Mirrycle I'm recommending here is for MTB's only. I'll leave my post in case anyone else finds it useful. Sorry!

Last edited by bruised; 10-21-14 at 01:03 PM. Reason: fact check update
Old 10-21-14, 01:53 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I have the Sprintech on most of my bikes and am pretty happy with them. My lady friend gave me a CycleAware, which is the same idea as the Sprintech mirrors. I 'hate' that thing. The quality is a lot less than the Sprintech mirrors. The convex mirror is not smooth, with a little ripple near the edge. Distorts the fov. It also needs constant adjustment. Any little expansion crack in the asphalt knocks it out of position. Simple enough to reposition, but it's a pain to have to be constantly aware that it probably won't be in position when needed. The Sprintech mirrors are a bit more expensive, but they don't get knocked out of position by any little rough patch you go over and the mirror is smooth. (I'm stuck with the CycleAware mirror because I can't say to my lady friend that she gave me a piece of junk and I don't want to use it. Yeah, yeah! I know. I'm a wimp. I just don't want to hurt her feelings.) I purchased my Sprintech mirrors from Amazon.

Tried a helmet mounted mirror once, and just couldn't get used to it. My eyes are bad enough that I couldn't get the hang of quickly changing my depth-of-field from looking at my surroundings, then refocusing on a little piece of mirror a few inches away from my eyes. That mirror sits in its package. I really should donate it as a prize for some type of cycling fund raiser. I'll never use it.
Old 10-21-14, 01:59 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bruised
I can't speak highly enough about this thing Robot Check...

EDIT: Ooops....looks like the Mirrycle I'm recommending here is for MTB's only. I'll leave my post in case anyone else finds it useful. Sorry!
No, no, they work fine on road bikes! Before I switched to Sprintech mirrors, I used one of the Mirrcycle mirrors for years. They have a huge mirror surface which is pretty flat, no convexness to it at all. You can almost see enough that you'll be tempted to not make a quick head check. It kinda sticks out a bit, but I like that because you can see what's directly behind you without your legs/body getting in the way. You're right! Very adaptable for whatever position you want.
Old 10-21-14, 06:22 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phlorida
i have the Sprintech as well although only for the left side. I really like it and I doubt that I would ride without one again. I can clearly see if there is traffic on my left although I couldn't identify what kind in the small image. It is very easy to adjust while riding.
Same here. Its not perfect buy once I got used to it I won't be taking it off. It does the job and is robust enough.
Old 10-21-14, 06:39 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
The Italian road bike mirror is very slick and works well, because it is sort of fixed by the handle bar tape, not quite as useful in all riding positions. Have had two on my road bike, both cracked when the bike fell over. Mirror I like best is the Mirracycle MTN mirror mounted in the bar end. Great visibility and fairly rugged, but have broken a few in rough bike handling.
Old 10-21-14, 06:41 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I went to Walmart and got a Bell brand mirror that has a velcro strap that wraps around my handlebar. I have trekking bars, but you could attach to your drop bars just after it turns from horizontal to drop down. It's pretty versatile, maybe you could attach it on the down drop itself. It cost me $8. You wouldn't have to re-tape your bars and you could move it around to find what position works best. Mine is pretty handy. The mirror rotates on its handle and has a lock nut to hold in place.
Old 10-21-14, 07:59 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by linnefaulk
Another vote for the Sprintech mirror. AND, it's much better than nothing.

For those considering the CycleAware mirror that very closes resembles the Sprintech and seems to be the more common model available in bike shops, I recommend holding out for the Sprintech. I've known several people who've experienced the CycleAware Roadie mirror frequently moving out of position when hitting a bump in the road. The Sprintech mirror is rock solid.

The mirror isn't a substitute for doing a shoulder check, but makes it easy for an initial look.
Old 10-21-14, 08:18 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I have a CycleAware and I like it. At one point I reinstalled it after re-taping the bars and I had some issues with it moving. I took it apart and installed it again and the problem went away. Seems to be a function of how the ball is sitting in the socket.

I would like to try real glass to see if clarity improves. And if I can pick up gray cars at dusk any better. (Actually, a lot of mid range colors sort of disappear at dusk). But I would not trade the capacity for adjustment.
Old 10-21-14, 09:20 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

I have tried several of the other brands, but the Italian Roadbike Mirror is by far the one I prefer. The image in its optical quality glass surface is very clear and stable compared to the plastic lenses on other mirrors. Installation is a little trickier than the ones that plug into the bar end, but the result is a more solid mount that stays where you put it, even on gravel roads. I have it on two bikes and will likely get another or two.
Old 10-21-14, 10:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
Whether you have a mirror or not, always look back before turning left, moving into the lane, or changing lanes. I like being able to scan behind me by turning my head, but to each his own.
Old 10-22-14, 09:43 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I frequently take the lane or turn left relying solely on my Take-a-look mirror which provides a wide enough and scannable field of view to eliminate any relevant blind spots.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.