Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What former professionals ride

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What former professionals ride

Old 02-25-15, 09:30 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stucky
It'd be like seeing a former pro baseball player take awards for playing with Little Leaguers!
Yep
Old 02-25-15, 09:42 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
As other's have mentioned, riding the hoods is supposed to be more aero than the drops, for a given body position.

I'm a competitive cyclist with a lot of saddle to bar drop on my race bike. Having said that, I ride the drops in two situations:

1) Any time I need to really handle the bike: sprints, jumps, cornering
2) Any time safety is a concern: descending, or in close quarters with other riders.

Having said that, I can spend a 60min crit entirely in the drops no problemo. But, if I was just trucking down a straight road and rotating with one or two other riders, I'd probably be on the hoods.
Thanks. Makes sense and seems like others set their bike up and ride the same way.
Old 02-25-15, 09:44 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who is this former pro you guys are talking about who's trying to "win" Strava?
Old 02-25-15, 10:03 AM
Rustle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a former pro Fabian Cancellara

Last edited by Rustle; 02-25-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:09 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,811 Posts
I know a former pro who used to work at the same company I did.
I was surprised to discover one day that I had a faster time than him on a local Strava segment.
Now to be fair, although we are the same height, I outweigh him by ~20#, and the segment was a descent that dumps you into a residential area with an abrupt drop in speed limit and is known for sometimes having a cop lurking.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 02-25-15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:14 AM
Rustle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greg Lemond
Old 02-25-15, 10:25 AM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Former pros "competing" on Strava is a little silly.

I like seeing what Pros can do, but a retired Pro that actually tries to KOM every segment in their area is pathetic.
I think it depends on the motivation. If he is trying to compete for bragging rights, especially in an area where there are not other pro riders, that is sad. However, I am tempted to look up the big climbs around Aspen and see if the former pros who live there are competing with each other--that could be interesting.

OTOH, if he is trying to motivate other riders in the area who follow him and he is friendly about everything, I can see the point in posting your times on Strava. Then it becomes "I came within X of the former pro", which can be fun.
Old 02-25-15, 10:29 AM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SimonSan
I don't get your point.. If you are retired pro you are no longer a pro, so you have every right to use the Strava app.... I think If you are a former pro and you are not KOM you are a tool. Personally I don't care who is KOM, you train and ride for your own goals. who is to say half of the KOM's are not done on a vespa?

agreed... there are tons of ways to "fudge" Strava #s anyway so you really shouldn't put too much stock in them anyway. I only look at the #s to in relation to the people that I know or ride with.

I like when Pros ride and post their data on Strava.

Besides there are only but so many popular cycling routes, why should they turn off their Garmin? Oh, I personally discount any strava #s that don't show cadence and heart rate.. there are a bunch of tools that leave their phone app on while driving around.
Old 02-25-15, 10:35 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Silly inclusion of Strave KOM's into this thread. Many know that KOM's aren't real.
Just go out and buy one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Nnj4RZzu4
Old 02-25-15, 11:41 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Before I had kids I used to caddy on the PGA's AAA tour when it had a tournament locally. (I think currently it is the Web.com Tour) None of the pros I caddied for liked to talk about golf. It was their job and what they worked at day after day. They always found what their Pro Am partners did or even what I did for a living more interesting than golf. Other sports, movies, whatever, they liked to talk about. But not golf.

If you are familiar with the former PGA pro (major winner) Curtis Strange, you might not know that he has an identical twin named Allen. Allen was a professional for 3 years before entering the business world and becoming very successful. He is still very active in golf at the amateur level in VA. I wonder which one of the brothers think they have had the better life.
Old 02-25-15, 03:10 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seypat
Before I had kids I used to caddy on the PGA's AAA tour when it had a tournament locally. (I think currently it is the Web.com Tour) None of the pros I caddied for liked to talk about golf. It was their job and what they worked at day after day. They always found what their Pro Am partners did or even what I did for a living more interesting than golf. Other sports, movies, whatever, they liked to talk about. But not golf.

If you are familiar with the former PGA pro (major winner) Curtis Strange, you might not know that he has an identical twin named Allen. Allen was a professional for 3 years before entering the business world and becoming very successful. He is still very active in golf at the amateur level in VA. I wonder which one of the brothers think they have had the better life.
sounds to me they both did!!
Old 02-25-15, 03:37 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Silly inclusion of Strave KOM's into this thread. Many know that KOM's aren't real.
Just go out and buy one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Nnj4RZzu4
If I saw that guy riding around my neighborhood I'd stick my frame pump in his spokes.
Old 02-25-15, 03:39 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
Merckx and Hinault ride a tandem:

Merckx et Hinault, un tandem... à l'heure | SONUMA
Old 02-25-15, 03:42 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jens, while still a pro, showing us all how to race whatever you can find on the side of the road :-)

I hope he signed the kid's top tube, "Shut Up Legs!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
21lede_jens-custom1.jpg (52.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-25-15, 04:27 PM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There are a number of former pro cyclists and ex-MX racers that ride MTB in my area and they are on Strava in my age group......not that I am any threat to anyone in the top 25%. The are in the top ten age group and sometimes overall. They are out having fun and riding, and happen to still be in shape and damn fast. Is there a problem?
Old 02-25-15, 08:33 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lance tweeted this as his ride about a year ago

When they launched the 525, they made this exact when that Eddy rode during the launch events. Set up for him.
Old 02-25-15, 09:59 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by happyscientist
I think it depends on the motivation.
That's been my thought as well as I've read through this thread. If ex-pros happen to use Strava and are out riding like any of us -- pick a route, have a go --then good for them for being fast. If they are out scalping KOMs for sport, then they're insecure wanks. Of course, we have no way to distinguish between the two.
Old 02-25-15, 10:16 PM
rideBjj

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
agreed... there are tons of ways to "fudge" Strava #s anyway so you really shouldn't put too much stock in them anyway. I only look at the #s to in relation to the people that I know or ride with.

I like when Pros ride and post their data on Strava.

Besides there are only but so many popular cycling routes, why should they turn off their Garmin? Oh, I personally discount any strava #s that don't show cadence and heart rate.. there are a bunch of tools that leave their phone app on while driving around.
I work as a programmer and this has given me an idea for an app. A Garmin / Cycling computer hack app that will let you go in and change the HR, cadence, power, time, or any metric that was recorded on a given ride. Hell, might as well make it so you can just make up the whole ride and all the given numbers without even doing anything.

That's a million dollar idea right there.

Or does that exist already?

Old 02-25-15, 10:29 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rideBjj
I work as a programmer and this has given me an idea for an app. A Garmin / Cycling computer hack app that will let you go in and change the HR, cadence, power, time, or any metric that was recorded on a given ride. Hell, might as well make it so you can just make up the whole ride and all the given numbers without even doing anything.

There's a website somewhere that'll let you upload a .tcx file, modify it, and download the modified version. It gets silly, for sure. There's a guy who always leads a couple of Strava groups in climbing. If you look, he'll ride a route that might normally had 1,400 feet of climbing. Only, strangely, when he did it, that same 15 mile ride had 40,000 feet of climbing!
Old 02-25-15, 11:11 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rideBjj

Already been done. Search for "Digital EPO".
Old 02-26-15, 01:05 AM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LA on a Crumpton, makes sense they are both from Austin.

Old 02-26-15, 07:39 AM
mpetit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know very closely an ex-pro, national level. He kept a decent road bicycle: alu, 105... no frills. He also did some trips in gravel and paths on a heavy MTB. His last outing was a 800 km trip on a rented bicycle.

As for the Strava rant going on here's my two cents. If somebody finds motivation or pleasure in completing segments and racing his Strava friends, be it a pro, an ex-pro or a sunday cyclist, let it be. Personally, I think ex-pros in Strava is a great thing: I suppose many people would be motivated to go out there and go around the same segments, joining them in rides... eventually dragging more people to cycling. I think this can only be good for the sport!
Old 02-26-15, 11:02 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think everyone would be much better off if they'd forget about Strava and just enjoy their rides!
Old 02-26-15, 11:05 AM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Already been done. Search for "Digital EPO".
Lol.. You beat me to it
Old 02-26-15, 11:09 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
I think everyone would be much better off if they'd forget about Strava and just enjoy their rides!
This assumes that some of us don't get more enjoyment from Strava! Even if we're not chasing KOM's, it encourages us to push hard, try new routes, and keeps us on our toes by looking back at what we've done before (keeping track of rides, etc.)

For me at least, that makes it MORE enjoyable, not less. When I was a kid I tooled around on my bike with nowhere to go, but I want to do more than that now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.