Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 09:57 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer3287
Tried the "30 Second Efforts" in the workout recipe book. Awful! Felt like I was hanging off the edge, going to hurl during the rest intervals between numbers 7-9. Had a very "wet" burp after the last effort. Obviously it's something I need to work on if it taxed my system that much, but it was definitely more unpleasant than my usual WRIs. Just managed 78 TSS, but had 102% W' expended. Didn't really feel like adding in more Z2 time so I just rode home. In-person job interview at 2pm and a Skype interview at 11pm, so I'm a bit distracted today.

Since I managed all 10, does that mean I should push it out to 45" per interval, or stick with the 30" for a while until I finish without wanting to lie down and die afterward?
are those like 30sec on 30sec off?

There are a few varieties i do of these sorts of things and they all hurt in their own ways. The ones that feel the worst are 15/15's. Break em into sets of like 5-8min depending on your fitness and try not to die. The first set feels bad, the second set feels awful, the third set you get through because you're stubborn. If you can do more than that you are cut from a more stoic cloth than I am and I applaud the amount of self hatred you carry within.

I also do 3x12 40/20 which feel bad in their own way but it's slightly less bad because you can't manage the same type of power for the on part as the 15/15.

There's another protocol for 30/30 that sandwiches tempo between some efforts and has standalone 30sec AWC stuff for others, and has it all sandwiched between vo2 work, and that probably hurts the least of these types of things even though it puts out the highest normalized power.
Old 09-24-15, 10:01 AM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sqwuats at the gym this AM. Legs are a mixture or hurt and rubber like feelings.
Old 09-24-15, 10:29 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Tire, hub, cassette, brake rub. But I know nothing honestly, total newby. Except that the disc should not be slower, it seems like there has to be some other difference to account for it and that it's worth sorting that out. I guess the other possibility is that it's somehow affecting your position on the bike, if it handles differently and you are not as relaxed.

Was this just one TT where you saw the difference? Or multiple efforts on the same course?
Hub spins clean and long on the disc (that was one of my initial concerns) and I've seen the drop on a. Few efforts. Position is the same as well. Dunno ... Just baffling to see power go up and times not come down. TT season is done, so I'll have the winter to dwell on it.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Could it be that the reynolds is faster than the disc?
Impossible! But really, I may do a couple trial runs with the Reynolds again (when weather is similar) to see if there is a difference.
Old 09-24-15, 10:30 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
put your runs in aerolab and see what it says.
Old 09-24-15, 10:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Sqwuats at the gym this AM. Legs are a mixture or hurt and rubber like feelings.
what kinda reps do you do for your sets?

Old 09-24-15, 10:41 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
after last nights cross smash fest...today was recovery. sweet, easy, recovery.
Old 09-24-15, 11:07 AM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
what kinda reps do you do for your sets?

Close, 36 chambers this morning had me rolling.

It's still early in my off season so I am taking the progression slow and adding weight to get back to where I was last winter. Today I started with squats and did 5x5 adding weight each set after some high rep warm up, then finished with some paused squats. After squats everything else is higher volume for the assistance lifts. Sunday I'll hit the gym again for a more hypertrophy style workout with lower weight and higher reps, and finish with some explosive movements either pushes or box jumps
Old 09-24-15, 11:11 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
put your runs in aerolab and see what it says.
that's a golden cheetah product? i'll check it out when i'm at home
Old 09-24-15, 12:01 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4 hours of glory on the cross bike. I rode the first hour as if I were in shape. I rode the second hour trying not to keel over dead. I rode the last two hours chatting nonstop with my buddy so he wouldn't notice how slow I was going. TSB is now -25.

Old 09-24-15, 12:07 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Nice pic. All this Cross talk makes me want to take off my commuter wheels and put on the CX ones. Our Cross locals describe our trails as Sarlacc Pits which I do not think is a positive endorsement.
Old 09-24-15, 02:39 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Same up front (Spec SWorks Turbo) and different on the back. Went from a conti gp2ks clincher to a vittoria corsa evo cx tubular on the rear.
Some feel that the best clinchers + latex tubes have better roll than tubulars, especially depending on how well the tubular is glued.

How does tire width compare between the new/old? The conti's tend to run a little wide, especially if mounted on modern rims with greater internal width. It's not unusual for 23mm GP2K's to run 25-26mm actual width on a wider clincher rim. If the actual on-rim width of the older tire/wire combo was substantially greater than the new wheel, that could make a significant difference in rolling resistance. No idea if it would be enough to offset the aero gain you should get from the disc wheel, though.
Old 09-24-15, 02:45 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Some feel that the best clinchers + latex tubes have better roll than tubulars, especially depending on how well the tubular is glued.

How does tire width compare between the new/old? The conti's tend to run a little wide, especially if mounted on modern rims with greater internal width. It's not unusual for 23mm GP2K's to run 25-26mm actual width on a wider clincher rim. If the actual on-rim width of the older tire/wire combo was substantially greater than the new wheel, that could make a significant difference in rolling resistance. No idea if it would be enough to offset the aero gain you should get from the disc wheel, though.
The Reynolds is one of the older rims that is about 21mm at the brake track (not the nice wide new ones) and the tire doesn't bulge much on that setup. The tubular on the disc is a bit more narrow than the 23 conti, but doesn't appear significant (I didn't measure with calipers). I'll take a more thorough look at it tonight.
Old 09-24-15, 02:49 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
30s is a lot. probably was windy.
Old 09-24-15, 03:06 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
30s is a lot. probably was windy.
17s enough to frustrate and confound

July 14: wind 7 to 13 mph from ssw; temp at TT was 85
September 22: wind was 8 to 14 mph from ssw; temp at TT was 80

Dunno ... something to hand wring over during the winter though.
Old 09-24-15, 03:24 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
17s enough to frustrate and confound

July 14: wind 7 to 13 mph from ssw; temp at TT was 85
September 22: wind was 8 to 14 mph from ssw; temp at TT was 80

Dunno ... something to hand wring over during the winter though.
What kind of power meter are you using?

When you say power is up, are you referring to average power? Normalized power? Both?

This is a flat course?
Old 09-24-15, 03:26 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
duration of race? 7mph one day to 14mph the other is huge. a couple mph wind can make 17 seconds in a short amount of time.

I mean, 25mph = 2:24/mile. 27mph = 2:13/mile.

27mph vs. 27.3mph over 10 miles is like 15 seconds. That's not much wind differential needed to account for .3mph.
Old 09-24-15, 03:40 PM
Surfer3287

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
are those like 30sec on 30sec off?

There are a few varieties i do of these sorts of things and they all hurt in their own ways. The ones that feel the worst are 15/15's. Break em into sets of like 5-8min depending on your fitness and try not to die. The first set feels bad, the second set feels awful, the third set you get through because you're stubborn. If you can do more than that you are cut from a more stoic cloth than I am and I applaud the amount of self hatred you carry within.

I also do 3x12 40/20 which feel bad in their own way but it's slightly less bad because you can't manage the same type of power for the on part as the 15/15.

There's another protocol for 30/30 that sandwiches tempo between some efforts and has standalone 30sec AWC stuff for others, and has it all sandwiched between vo2 work, and that probably hurts the least of these types of things even though it puts out the highest normalized power.
Yes, 30s on 30s off, for 10 reps. I'll give the 15/15 a try. I like your idea of breaking it into more manageable chunks (5-8 minutes.) The 10 minutes was definitely puke-generating, but doing it twice or three times with less per set might be more stomach-able. I'll have to look for that other 30/30 AWC protocol.

I've actually enjoyed incorporating intervals more frequently (Fat Boys, ZeCanons, and WRIs) for the last month and a half. Structure motivates me to ride more than just heading out to hammer for whatever I feel like. Definitely seeing improvement across my range of fitness, rather than just slaving to raise my FTP.
Old 09-24-15, 03:41 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
What kind of power meter are you using?

When you say power is up, are you referring to average power? Normalized power? Both?

This is a flat course?
power2max ... course is flat and referenced power is avg (NP and avg are 1:1 on both days though).

duration of race? 7mph one day to 14mph the other is huge. a couple mph wind can make 17 seconds in a short amount of time.

I mean, 25mph = 2:24/mile. 27mph = 2:13/mile.

27mph vs. 27.3mph over 10 miles is like 15 seconds. That's not much wind differential needed to account for .3mph.
true ... i don't remember the wind being dramatically different, but even a couple mph could be enough to make a difference.

in all reality i'm just grasping at straws here for having not hit my TT time goal for the season and want to find something to blame it on other than i didn't make my legs go fast enough.
Old 09-24-15, 03:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer3287
Yes, 30s on 30s off, for 10 reps. I'll give the 15/15 a try. I like your idea of breaking it into more manageable chunks (5-8 minutes.) The 10 minutes was definitely puke-generating, but doing it twice or three times with less per set might be more stomach-able. I'll have to look for that other 30/30 AWC protocol.

I've actually enjoyed incorporating intervals more frequently (Fat Boys, ZeCanons, and WRIs) for the last month and a half. Structure motivates me to ride more than just heading out to hammer for whatever I feel like. Definitely seeing improvement across my range of fitness, rather than just slaving to raise my FTP.
Last year as I was getting into cross, I did a bunch of those 30on/30off. I liked that they were stupidly simple and I could do them on my SSCX and without a PM. All you need is a countdown timer. And a place to puke.
Old 09-24-15, 03:54 PM
Surfer3287

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Last year as I was getting into cross, I did a bunch of those 30on/30off. I liked that they were stupidly simple and I could do them on my SSCX and without a PM. All you need is a countdown timer. And a place to puke.
A bucket next to the trainer would work, but I haven't mastered it whilst moving. Hard to stay indoors when the weather its 80 and sunny outside still.

All this 'cross talk is beyond me. It's still technically summer here. The only thing "cross" about my training is the Vermont maple syrup and fresh apples in my oatmeal this morning.
Old 09-24-15, 05:06 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
3hrs, not hard but more than soft pedaling.
Old 09-24-15, 06:20 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Took some pics of the lovely neighborhood whilst on my commute today....Off to Crit Practice and V02 Intervals

https://www.strava.com/activities/399539898
Old 09-24-15, 07:35 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1G7DnB2im84

anyone watch this? I was going to do this but went out since it was a lovely first day of fall, fun to watch how someone with real power (as opposed to my anemic power) work.
Old 09-24-15, 08:27 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Took some pics of the lovely neighborhood whilst on my commute today....Off to Crit Practice and V02 Intervals

https://www.strava.com/activities/399539898
Mcfarland bicycling version.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 09-24-15 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 07:46 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
operating on the assumption that i'm going to get off the waitlist for gloucester tomorrow...thus, openers. first cold hands party of the season.

gloucester sent out an email this morning indicating that unlike other races, riders who get off the waitlist will be staged by points. my points have me on the front row. this means i have a realistic shot at getting a result at gloucester...which is, exciting. yes, i realize it's just the 4s and yes i realize i'm a roadie who's been racing for 6 years getting results against people brand new to the sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.