Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

clipless or flat pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

clipless or flat pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 06:37 AM
bretton007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clipless or flat pedals

As I get older and recuperating from a fall as couldn't unclip fast enough I am considering switching to flat pedals and 5-10 flats to ride my giant revolt advanced . Question is , is this set up suitable for light gravel and road riding , not sure how this set up will perform on 50k road rides

thanks
Old 03-20-21, 06:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I am not a big fan of old style quill pedals for long rides because my feet get hot boxed. I do fine with clipless and with flat pedals. I really like the flexibility you get with flat bmx style pedals. Although you can ride flat pedals with any shoes, shoes designed for flat pedals seem to grip a bit better or at least that has been my experience.
Old 03-20-21, 06:59 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
Flats for me, the style with the little pins (Actually set screws) to help with lateral shoe retention. The keep things simple and bicycling more enjoyable for me. I just never saw any benefit to clipless as I live in a developed area and need to stop at traffic lights/stop signs all the time. I also like to bike tour, and its so much more convenient to with flat shoes - business owners don't worry about my non-cleated shoes on their flooring, and I can hop on and off the bike without having to do that awkward cleated-shoe walk. .
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-20-21, 07:21 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I dedicated a Hybrid with a set of pinned flat pedals. After taking it out a few times they were replaced with SPD's (been using them since mid-late 90's). I really wanted to ride in "normal" running/hiking shoes for casual rides but it just didn't feel right.
I've since acquired a Single Speed bike with "cages" for my casual rides.
Old 03-20-21, 08:10 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I switched back to platform (flat) pedals about five (or maybe ten?) years ago and haven't looked back since. I do a lot of commuting and touring in stop-and-go traffic, so I really prefer being able to get my feet on and off the pedals without any hit-or-miss. I know people will say "You can get used to clipless in a day or two," but you're not going to change my mind. I rode with cages around my feet (is that called "clipped?) for almost twenty years and got caught up in them two or three times too many.
Old 03-20-21, 09:02 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I tried "clipless" pedals, but they weren't for me. Never got used to not being able to place my foot in a diff. position on the pedal, if I wanted. And never felt comfortable being clipped in. Now using flat pedals with "pins" on my road, as well as my mtn.bike. Not saying one is superior to the other, that is another debate. Use which you choose and you feel is best. To be fair, I should state that I rode a mtn.bike (using flats with pins) for decades before owning a road bike. Might have something to do with my choice of type of pedal.

Last edited by freeranger; 03-20-21 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-20-21, 09:16 AM
bretton007

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I switched back to platform (flat) pedals about five (or maybe ten?) years ago and haven't looked back since. I do a lot of commuting and touring in stop-and-go traffic, so I really prefer being able to get my feet on and off the pedals without any hit-or-miss. I know people will say "You can get used to clipless in a day or two," but you're not going to change my mind. I rode with cages around my feet (is that called "clipped?) for almost twenty years and got caught up in them two or three times too many.
Thanks , do you do much distance road riding , wondering how this set up would be riding road for 2-3 hours at a time
Old 03-20-21, 10:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
What were you using previously when you fell? Actual clips or toe straps or SPD type or SPD-SL type pedals?

If you don't pedal at cadences fast enough to need your feet connected securely to the pedals, then you can certainly use plain old pedals.

Otherwise, if you need them, then try a different cleat system than you had then.
Old 03-20-21, 10:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Yeah, so long as you’re not getting too aggro with things, good platform pedals are fine.

As was mentioned upthread, metal pinned pedals grip rubber outsoles really well.
Old 03-20-21, 04:45 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
The only reason I ever used clipless pedals was for mountain biking in the 90's and early 2000's. Once I became a full time commuter platforms made mores sense. Now, I see zero reason to use clipless pedals for any biking since compared to modern platforms they offer me no benefit.
Old 03-20-21, 06:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
Shimano SPD ... flats on the fat bike...
Old 03-20-21, 08:21 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by bretton007
Thanks , do you do much distance road riding , wondering how this set up would be riding road for 2-3 hours at a time
I'm not sure what you consider "much" and what you consider "distance." My average ride is a commute to work that lasts about 20 minutes. My twice or thrice-yearly bike tours are about 50 miles at a time and can last three or four hours. And my recreational rides are usually about two hours, although at a pretty slow pace.

My comfort and efficiency with flats is the same no matter what type of ride I am doing. Most importantly, I have found absolutely no difference in either of these things with flats as with my old clips. Other people will tell you differently. This is my personal experience.
Old 03-20-21, 08:36 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I've used toe clips and straps, toe clips, cleats, and straps, SPD, and pinned flats. I like pinned flats best. I use pre-Adidas Five Tens.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-20-21, 10:41 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I've used toe clips and straps, toe clips, cleats, and straps, SPD, and pinned flats. I like pinned flats best. I use pre-Adidas Five Tens.
Are 5-10 pedals different since Adidas? I was thinking about trying them for the mtb. Been using clipless for everything for over 30 years.
Old 03-21-21, 12:46 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Flat pedals FTW.
But be careful as apparently some unbelievably uncoordinated clods have claimed that they can’t keep their feet on them and occasionally harm their shins.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-21-21, 07:18 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
^^^ I've fallen one time because of shoes/pedals and that was at a stop sign wearing Lake delta type shoes & clipless pedals - joining Club Tombay after a year & ˝ of riding with no issues, but really never feeling any benefit either. That fall bent my rear derailleur and was of course was on a group ride . I came home and changed out my pedals to platforms and have never looked back or regretted it. I'll admit I'm more of a masher than spinner and size 49 feet probably help with keeping balance, I have no problems standing and doing a fast cadence when necessary. The convenience of being able to unpack and be ready for a ride quickly or walk in a pit stop convenience store with tile floors and NOT feeling like I'm skating on ice is an added bonus.

As well as the 5-10 brand, Pearl's line of grippy mountain bike shoes work really well. I especially like the X-Alp Flow line

before finding them, I had used the X-Alp Canyon model of SPD's without the cleats

Got all of those on sale for around $70

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 03-21-21 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 07:20 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

I guess I'm one of those uncoordinated clods....

What convinced me to swap the flats back to SPD's on my Hybrid was an incident when I was riding (at a brisk pace) in traffic and I hit a ninja pot hole. I admit I was probably too focused on the cars around me however, the jolt took my foot off the flats causing my weight to shift and the bike to veer. Luckily I didn't go down and/or there were no cars beside me at the time cause it could have been ugly.

Needless to say when I got home the SPD's went back on.....
Old 03-21-21, 07:29 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I loved these with my size 13 shoes
Discount MKS TOE CLIPS MKS HALF-CLIP STL CP HALF CLIP STEEL Shop Now (carsoncitybikeshop.com)

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 03-21-21, 07:39 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I guess I'm one of those uncoordinated clods....

What convinced me to swap the flats back to SPD's on my Hybrid was an incident when I was riding (at a brisk pace) in traffic and I hit a ninja pot hole. I admit I was probably too focused on the cars around me however, the jolt took my foot off the flats causing my weight to shift and the bike to veer. Luckily I didn't go down and/or there were no cars beside me at the time cause it could have been ugly.

Needless to say when I got home the SPD's went back on.....
I'll bet there's a better than 50/50 chance if you'd been clipped in you would have gone down. That foot coming off probably helped you maintain balance, at least it did for me in a very similar situation where I hit one of those side-of-the-road asphalt missing holes and was able to quickly get a leg off and on the ground to keep myself from going down. If I was clipped in I never could have reacted that quickly,
Old 03-21-21, 02:59 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I'll bet there's a better than 50/50 chance if you'd been clipped in you would have gone down. That foot coming off probably helped you maintain balance
Deal4Fuji.....that's an excellent point! I guess I felt a little "off" not having some kind of foot retention after riding with them since the mid 70's.
Old 03-21-21, 03:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hitting a bump hard enough that your foot flies off the pedal is an argument for, not against, foot retention.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-21-21, 03:27 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
SPD for me. I am never going back to flat pedals. I wiped out last summer for the first time in 15 years. Happened so fast I didn't have time to react. That said, I don't think flat pedals would have made a difference. my front wheel went into a vertical crack in the road and I lost control at 15 mph. If anything, trying to put a leg down likely would have been worse.
Old 03-22-21, 02:29 PM
Tbone2

Bikes: Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Flat peddles

Flat peddles tennis shoes, when I get ready to go I strap on a helment and go.
Likes For Tbone2:
Old 03-22-21, 05:34 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
I can't spin with flats like I can clipped in.
I can't climb with flats like I can clipped in.
I can't backpedal at stops automatically with flats.
3 strikes and flats are out for any ride but just tootle-ing around.

Toe clips with straps are acceptable for my vintage rides without much climbing.
Old 03-22-21, 05:46 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I'll bet there's a better than 50/50 chance if you'd been clipped in you would have gone down. That foot coming off probably helped you maintain balance, at least it did for me in a very similar situation where I hit one of those side-of-the-road asphalt missing holes and was able to quickly get a leg off and on the ground to keep myself from going down. If I was clipped in I never could have reacted that quickly,
If you’re riding so very slowly that simply putting your foot down to prevent a crash worked, then you are completely missing the benefits of riding with clipless pedals. Two most important things, though, are having fun snd being safe. Be careful out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.