Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Newbie with a nice Giant Revolt - Tyres?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 06:10 AM
April10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everybody,

I bought my first real bike 2 months ago during lockdown depression.. A Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1. Thats what they had in stock otherwise I would obviously have bought something cheaper - but now its here and I don't complain.

Tyres seem to be a problem though.. Tyres are Maxxis Velocita, tubeless, 700x40c and rim Giant CXR-2 Carbon Disc WheelSystem, 42mm.

One thing is that I need to pump my bike appr. every 24 hour where the back tyre leaks faster than the front. From what I been able to read about tubeless tyres that's apparently a thing that they loose air faster and I can live with that even though its a bit annoying.

Another thing is that my back tyre has already got two holes in it which makes it go soft if my bike is just standing in my apartment over night and fluid is not doing its thing. I also feel like if I road +100km the back tyre would loose and during that ride. Therefore I am now looking for another tyre. At least on the back.

I mainly stick to roads with at little gravel roads here and there.

Should I go with tubeless still or? And what are my options? Do I need to change the whole wheel if I go with a tyre with a tube and should I change both front and back so they are the same? Or have I just been unlucky and should go with a replacement of my current tyre? Let me know your thoughts.
Old 05-29-21, 06:31 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You don't need to change the tire. First you could try taking the tire off, checking the rim tape, replacing if needed and re-seat the tire. Others on here with more experience in tubeless setup will be glad to help. If the holes are causing the problem, bacon strips can be used to fix those up.

Second choice throw a tube in the tire you have. Clean out the sealant, take out the valve and install an appropriate size tube.

Pumping a tire up everyday is not normal.
Old 05-29-21, 07:22 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Giant ships Revolts with tires installed and inflated (no sealant). They will hold air a day or two as is. Your shop is supposed to put sealant in each tire (Giant provides with each bike). They may have missed that on assembly. Take it back and have them look it over. Those tires will easily hold full pressure for a week or two. Nice bike.
Old 05-29-21, 08:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
I think it needs sealant. Is there evidence there is sealant in the tires?
Old 05-29-21, 08:30 AM
April10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has sealant. I had a puncture after my first ride back home from the shop. Over night there came sealant out of the tire. The hole was apparently too big for the sealant to fix it so the tire would completely deflate over night. They fixed the hole with a plug for free which actually helped and put some more sealant in it.

Now I have another hole in the tire. Right after pumping my bike for a ride I could hear the air slowly leaking out of the hole. Which I why I'm thinking of completely change the tire with maybe another model?

The back tire has had punctures with sealant coming out. Im not aware of any punctures on the front tire but thats still loosing too much pressure over night though. 2 days max and the tire is a bit saggy
Old 05-29-21, 08:45 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
There is a learning curve with TL And you need the right tools to maintain it. That is a pump device capable of of seating the tyre of choice onto the rim, good tyre levers and/or a bead jack, liquid sealant and some plugs to take care of non-sealing holes and a valve core tool. Then you need a bit of knowledge to judge if the tape and valve is installed right. Getting it all right lets you ride slightly lees beefy tyres and helps prevent pinch flats.

However TL isn't magic. I doesn't stop sharp objects penetrating and puncturing the tyre unless you ride tough ones and at that point you are relying on the sealant to save the day. I appears you haven't had much luck in that department, but its unclear if there is even sealant in there or something else is issue.

EDIT: Didnt see your above answer.
Old 05-29-21, 10:25 AM
April10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
There is a learning curve with TL And you need the right tools to maintain it. That is a pump device capable of of seating the tyre of choice onto the rim, good tyre levers and/or a bead jack, liquid sealant and some plugs to take care of non-sealing holes and a valve core tool. Then you need a bit of knowledge to judge if the tape and valve is installed right. Getting it all right lets you ride slightly lees beefy tyres and helps prevent pinch flats.

However TL isn't magic. I doesn't stop sharp objects penetrating and puncturing the tyre unless you ride tough ones and at that point you are relying on the sealant to save the day. I appears you haven't had much luck in that department, but its unclear if there is even sealant in there or something else is issue.

EDIT: Didnt see your above answer.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's why I'm thinking of going "back" to a tire with tube. I'm thinking less maintenance and if its flat its flat and you need to fix that. At this point I'm not sure how, when and where the problem is.
Old 05-29-21, 07:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
If you are regularly hitting sharp objects, a tube will just add frustration and expense. You might want to consider getting a plug system if the holes are big. I think you should also get a large bottle of sealant and learn how to inject it through the valve. Do you have any idea where the flats are happening?

One of my tires was going down overnight and it turned out I had a large number of punctures in the tire. New sealant did help that. I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with tubes for all those punctures.
Old 05-30-21, 12:37 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by April10
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's why I'm thinking of going "back" to a tire with tube. I'm thinking less maintenance and if its flat its flat and you need to fix that. At this point I'm not sure how, when and where the problem is.
Tubes are fine, but In that case get some flat protected tyres, unless they already are. - The velocita appears to come in two versions with more or less protection. Imo flats are largely avoidable on normal tube and tyre setup, but the flat frequency is Highly dependent on the tyre. I've had tires they would "auto-flat" every time it rained and tyres that hasn't flatted once in two years of riding.

Imo, riding thin tyres with liquid sealant to plug the inevitable holes is causing ppl a lot of trouble. It doesnt seal reliably and running thinner tyres to take advantage of self sealing properties of TL with liquid sealant exposes you to more risk of getting non sealing larger holes. Thus, imo, I would simply get robust tires, no matter if there a tube in there or not.
Old 05-30-21, 12:48 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by unterhausen
If you are regularly hitting sharp objects, a tube will just add frustration and expense. You might want to consider getting a plug system if the holes are big. I think you should also get a large bottle of sealant and learn how to inject it through the valve. Do you have any idea where the flats are happening?

One of my tires was going down overnight and it turned out I had a large number of punctures in the tire. New sealant did help that. I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with tubes for all those punctures.
The unspoken premise here is the punctures are unavoidable .. and the conclusion is TL is the (only) solution. I beg to differ. They are not. Prevent the punctures in the first place and the "need" for TL goes away.

btw, you Did have to deal with the punctures. - You scrapped the tyre because the sealant wasn't sealing like it was supposed to.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 05-30-21 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-30-21, 08:31 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
One additional thought - Maybe focus on the root cause of your problem instead. If you are getting this many flats so frequently, maybe see if you are riding through an area where several bottles have been broken and there is a lot of glass on the road. If so, you may have the same problem with any tire. Try some new roads and see if that helps. The stock tires you have are pretty decent tires and are part of the great ride you experience on that bike. A more flat-resistant tire may be less flexible and not equal the ride quality of the current tire.

Last edited by dwmckee; 05-30-21 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-30-21, 09:16 AM
Mikey32

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Revolt came with the same tires. They are fast and have a smooth ride. But, they are super fragile. I started seeing the sealant wet spot after every ride in a couple hundred miles, but it always sealed and held until I pretty much wore out the rear (at about 1500 miles) and got a puncture that was too big for sealant. I replaced them with 43mm Gravel King SS+ that have much better grip off road and I haven't had a single puncture weep in 1200 miles or so. The drawback to the GKs is that they roll much slower on pavement and the ride is not as supple.
Old 06-01-21, 02:18 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Put tubes in, go ride.
Old 06-01-21, 02:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
https://bikerumor.com/2010/11/23/rev...ire-patch-kit/

If you have a hole that continues to leak even after days of sealant dry time, then look into the product above. I used it for a slice on the tread of a tire and it worked perfectly. Its made to attach to the inside of the tire, keeps the rubber from bulging, and is a permanent fix.
...or maybe you dont have enough sealant and tire pressure is dropping as a result. Who knows.
Old 06-03-21, 01:48 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
So I'm running probably the same tires and can relate to the back tire puncture problem. Currently I have the Velocita with EXO protection, which is not full protection. I'll be swapping the back tire for a Velocita with "SilkShield" protection which is full protection. I've found that the back tire seems to get more flats and wear then the front and I'm willing to trade some suppleness and speed for reliability.

You should invest in a valve core tool and Stan's injector so you can quickly refill with sealant yourself. I'll be adding an ounce of sealant every couple of weeks in the summer. Keeping the bike inside with lower humidity seems to wick sealant thru the tire.

Make sure the nut on the valve stem next to the rim is tight.
Also another trick I do is remove the wheel from the bike, then I'll tip it on each side and shake it around. You really want to make sure that sealant is splashed around the inside of the tire well.

What pressure are you running? I'm 180lbs and I can comfortably ride at 30psi, though I do prefer higher. I notice that if I have a big puncture it won't seal until the pressure drops low. I know those Velocita speck up to 75psi so try running them around 45-50psi
Old 06-03-21, 01:50 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://bikerumor.com/2010/11/23/rev...ire-patch-kit/

If you have a hole that continues to leak even after days of sealant dry time, then look into the product above. I used it for a slice on the tread of a tire and it worked perfectly. Its made to attach to the inside of the tire, keeps the rubber from bulging, and is a permanent fix.
...or maybe you dont have enough sealant and tire pressure is dropping as a result. Who knows.
Thanks for that, that's exactly what I need!