Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling Infrastructure

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling Infrastructure

Old 06-30-21, 07:19 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Cycling Infrastructure

I know this topic has been discussed before and this can vary from country to country, state to state but just wondering how much safer is your community getting for cyclists? In the general area around me, communities are doing more to build in cycling infrastructure but you have to pick and choose where you want to ride and which areas actually are safe. Cycling deaths around here seem to occur more in busy industrialized areas where there are lots of transport trucks so to me, those would be places I would stay away from but I guess some people need to cycle to work in these areas.

I'm really happy with the town I live in and what they've done after a major construction project recently in our downtown "main street". This is only a small part of our community and it's mostly for visitors but a good gesture. Hopefully, more initiatives to come.

Likes For gthomson:
Old 06-30-21, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I live in city that is adjacent to Jackson Ms that was just listed as one of the 10 worst cities in the US for cycling. However in all the cities that border Jackson, cycling is alive and well. Miles of MUPS and cycling lanes on some roads.

I don't know what criteria the study used, but in Jackson's defense, it's a very old city with fairly narrow roads already established before Schwinn's were even a thing. I'd be interested in knowing how many of those other cities in the ten worst are actually like the Jackson Metropolitan Area and actually have a good cycling community surrounding them.
Old 06-30-21, 08:18 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,613 Times in 765 Posts
The area around here has exploded with new housing developments and very large apartment complexes. A huge increase in the number of cars on the road, but very little (if any) improvement / widening of the roads. Most are narrow with ditches for shoulders. The only "bike lane" runs for a short area along a 4 lane road, and is typically a collection area for all the nails, glass, and trash - great if you need practice fixing flats.
SC is among the worst states for bicycle / pedestrian safety. Laws that would help (hands free law, 3 feet to pass law) are consistently blocked from passage by one particular senator (Sen Loftis) who believes cyclists don't belong on the road.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-30-21, 09:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
A couple of years ago, Lincoln Ne put a protected bike lane across the down town. It has its own lights and works great.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-30-21, 10:02 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Our city gets a gold rating from the League of American Bicyclists.

It's very easy here to get around town on a bike.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-30-21, 10:14 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
The main road through my small home town was recently paved. It makes a tremendous difference to my cycling, especially during July when I stick to the main roads to avoid being driven insane by horseflies, which pretty much own the gravel roads during the month of July in my neck of the woods. Not to mention how much safer it is to be able to ride all the way to the right side of my lane without being pummeled constantly by cracked broken pavement. I wish this country would wake up and tax capital, so we could have decent infrastructure overall, rather than once in a while when you get lucky and they pave your road...
Old 06-30-21, 10:19 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'm fortunate to live next to a rails to trails route that spans almost half of my state and continues to get longer. It's a linear state park following the path of the old airline route for trains across Connecticut. I really prefer not to ride with cars no matter what sort of bike lane exists. I'm familiar with some bike lanes around south western Cape Cod where people thought it wise to build a separate asphalt lane off the side of the road. The paths make half circles around every phone pole. Because they aren't on the road, the have no right away across connecting streets. They are crowded with residents who use them for stroller walking etc. They were poorly designed. On the other hand there are some very nice rides on paved trails that run behind buildings semi parallel to some major roadways. One such is the Shining Sea trail running north south on the western cape that terminates in Woods Hole. That was a well done plan. (Most of it is an old railroad line)
Old 06-30-21, 07:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
To me, the only cycling "infrastructure" that matters is driver attitudes toward other people -- pedestrians and cyclists -- who are legally using the shared infrastructure.

If the zeitgeist of a community regards pedestrians and cyclists as nuisances, or worse, as disposable targets of opportunity, no amount of painted lines and cyclist stencils will make any difference.

I follow the local news and emergency responder news on social media and it's pretty clear there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of motorists in my area who regard cyclists and pedestrians as enemies to be disposed of. They may still be a statistical minority of the entire community, but that's still hundreds or thousands of drivers who publicly display borderline psychopathy with pride online.

The only cycling/pedestrian infrastructure that matters is an overhaul of the entire driver education and licensing system. It can be done with willpower and responsible government. If you read the entire history of European cities that are now considered cycling friendly, this didn't magically happen simply because Europeans are some sort of lovable hobbits. Nope, it took a determined effort and planning to revise the attitudes that cars were kings and cyclists were mere speed bumps.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-05-21, 01:25 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
not much progress to speak of around here
Old 07-08-21, 09:14 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Cheyenne has over 40 miles of non-motorized paved Greenway paths plus lots of marked bike lanes on major streets. Given the nature of the population, I am surprised by the number of cars/trucks that give a wide pass to cyclists. Worst incident in the last year was a diesel pickup that rolled coal on my partner, who is on oxygen 24/7 and recently had a pacemaker installed. I have been close passed a couple of times, once in a narrow construction zone by an RV with road bikes on the back. Go figure.
Old 07-08-21, 09:26 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Cheyenne has over 40 miles of non-motorized paved Greenway paths plus lots of marked bike lanes on major streets. Given the nature of the population, I am surprised by the number of cars/trucks that give a wide pass to cyclists. Worst incident in the last year was a diesel pickup that rolled coal on my partner, who is on oxygen 24/7 and recently had a pacemaker installed. I have been close passed a couple of times, once in a narrow construction zone by an RV with road bikes on the back. Go figure.
I’ve always had great experiences riding in Wyoming. It felt like the trend was for drivers to give you as much room as possible, especially tractor trailers.I rode in Wyoming riding across the US plus participated in Tour de Wyoming a few times. Great place to ride!
Old 07-08-21, 09:40 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
The area around here has exploded with new housing developments and very large apartment complexes. A huge increase in the number of cars on the road, but very little (if any) improvement / widening of the roads. Most are narrow with ditches for shoulders. The only "bike lane" runs for a short area along a 4 lane road, and is typically a collection area for all the nails, glass, and trash - great if you need practice fixing flats.
SC is among the worst states for bicycle / pedestrian safety. Laws that would help (hands free law, 3 feet to pass law) are consistently blocked from passage by one particular senator (Sen Loftis) who believes cyclists don't belong on the road.
Very similar just up the road from you in NC. Still a tremendous amount of growth in the metropolitan areas. I might be one of the few in my cycling clan that still uses some of the main roads to get around. Charlotte has developed a lot more paved MUPs but they’re disjointed and not easily connected. There have been more opportunities to provide infrastructure on some of the main roads but neither wide shoulders nor bike lanes were provided. There are more trails close by but it’s as if they’re wanting to push us off the roads???

Same here with hands free. Heck, with as much weaving as I’ve seen vehicles do on the roads around here for the life of me I don’t understand why NC hasn’t gotten there. Hands free was a requirement where I worked before I retired. In fact they later requested we not even carry on phone conversations while driving even hands free.
Old 07-15-21, 09:49 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
My community has been exploding in growth, too many high density housing projects, and no added infrastructure. The state added painted bike lanes and SHARE lanes on 2 streets and the local community forums were full of negative comments, money wasted, nobody rides there anyway and so on. Our community is not bike friendly, and of course, I live at the top of the hill in town and have issues descending (crashed downhill, breaking my back), and am a poor climber, but getting better. I hate riding here in town as nobody is looking at me as anything BUT a target...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 07-15-21, 10:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I am with Canklecat .... educated drivers are all that is needed.

My new hometown has a lot of bike lanes .... but most of the roads I prefer to ride are narrow and twisty and lane-free. I count on drivers being willing to share the road---and I ma very pleasantly surprised by how patient most drivers can be. I have met a few real losers and a few fools, and had a couple questionably close passes .... but I did many, many years and many thousands of miles in the Greater Orlando, Florida area when it was the cycling death capital of the nation every year---and proud of it. After that experience, if nobody is throwing stuff at me, I feel pretty lucky.

The marked bike lanes are a real plus when I need to do utility riding---errands, or for work, or whatever, where I cannot pick my route and./or time of day (morning and evening transit hours always suck, no matter what) but it is the (apparent) impact of "share the road" education which makes me feel safer.

Though, I am not sure Orlando is any better. Could be just as bad as it was 25 years ago .... though Tampa and St. Pete seem to trade off the "Cycling Death Capital" crown lately, leaving poor Orlando off the podium.

(Interesting differences between "dangerous" and "deadly", too.

https://www.peoplepoweredmovement.or...or-bicyclists/
https://www.gearpatrol.com/outdoors/...-for-cyclists/
https://www.carinsurance.org/deadlie...more%20rows%20
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...g-deaths-year/
https://www.outsideonline.com/2409749/outside-cycling-deaths-2020/#content
https://www.governing.com/archive/most-bicycle-cyclist-deaths-per-capita-by-state-data.html

Here's the good stuff ....
Rank Metropolitan Area Cyclist Fatalities Deaths per 100,000 Residents
1 Cape Coral, Florida 5.43 0.82
2 Tampa, Florida 10 0.77
3 Abilene, Texas 1 0.74
4 Sacramento, California 10.43 0.71
5 Clearwater, Florida 6.57 0.7
6 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 12.57 0.68
7 Lakeland, Florida 4.29 0.68
8 Stockton, California 4.71 0.67
9 Orlando, Florida 11.71 0.66
10 Jacksonville, Florida 5.71 0.64
11 Savannah, Georgia 1.71 0.62
12 West Palm Beach, Florida 8.43 0.61
(https://www.valuepenguin.com/cities-...ist-fatalities)
Eight of the top twelve.

Somehow I am not real sorry I moved.
Old 07-17-21, 02:14 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
There are cycling facilities that enhance safety and there are others that increase hazards at intersections and driveways. One of the biggest drawbacks of most bike lanes is that they discourage (or worst case, prevent) motorists from executing a proper (and in most states, legally required) near-side turn from the curb, rather than from the left side of a bike lane. Many motorists are completely unaware that the California Vehicle Code requires them to merge safely into the bike lane, while yielding to cyclists, before executing a right turn into a driveway or at an intersection. I have seen right-turn-only lanes to the right of through bike lanes (good), but on the other side of one of these intersections we have a through-or-right lane to the left of a through-only (freeway entrance, so cyclists can't go right, anyway) bike lane. One of the biggest "tricks" to staying alive out there is to be not just visible, but relevant, to motorists, which often involves merging away from the gutter. Too many cycling "advocates" reject the notion of destination-appropriate lateral lane positioning. In Encinitas we have also seen safety issues caused by posts and especially curbs placed between cycletraps (oops -- cycletracks) and main travel lanes, and we had to fight like hell to get sharrows and a reduced speed limit. I still miss the Class II bike lane we had previously, and which had served us efficiently and safely for decades.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-18-21, 11:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
If you want to see infrastructure done correctly, go to southern Germany, Bavaria. Miles and miles of off road paved MUPs. A cycling paradise.

I live in the boondocks, so no dedicated infrastructure for roadies, except miles of well maintained gravel rails to trails conversions and 100s of miles of single track. I am lucky to live in what’s considered to be one of the nicest rural cycling areas near Seattle. Used to enjoy riding in the valley so much, I moved here.

Old 07-19-21, 01:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
MUPs are great .... I guess.

Thing is, for a bicycle to be a valid mode of transportation, and not a bit of sporting gear/a toy, people have to be able to get to places by bike---including to those MUPs. And once on the MUPs, of course, cyclists have to cope with people walking multiple dogs on 12-foot leashes or rollerblading with earbuds on full volume ... but that is not infrastructure.

If MUPs actually link business districts or stores, and exit onto roads that are safe for riding ... well, great. The thing is shopping districts are notoriously dangerous for cyclists because of all the driveways, entries, and exits, and people trying to maneuver across roads to get tot eh driveway they want, pretty much ignoring everything except getting to the next mall or strip mall or store.

Greater Orlando, when they finally started including bike lanes, was notorious for putting the lanes the the right of "Right Turn Only" lanes, so cyclists had to cross traffic that expected to have clear road to the right---because there was no "road," just a bike line which everyone ignored and treated as a breakdown lane---or a way to cheat to get into the turn lane a little earlier.

People would cut across multiple lanes of traffic at high speed to get to a driveway, totally ignoring the cyclist who was forced to go straight across a "turn only" lane .... and the "bike lanes" usually tapered down and turned along with the turn lane, ending up in the curb, so the cyclist would have to come to a stop, and be stuck partially blocking the driveway while cars tried to squeeze in and out. Brilliant.

I could take an MUP into the main mall district, okay ... but once I got there, I had to take my life in my hands to go anywhere except for one mall. Anyone who had a job at any o those stores, or at any of the office parks interspersed between strip malls and stores, would have been safer wearing black clothes and a blindfold, sprinting randomly across the road at night, than to try to ride according the the way the bike lanes were laid out. Of course, a lot of the city simply had no lanes, so no bike problem, right?

Where I live now has a decent MUP which doesn't get a lot of traffic during much of the day, and which actually crosses from downtown to to other towns --- but I have to negotiate several miles of "always under construction" roadway to get there. it is safer to use smaller surface streets and to avoid the fast route---but that adds miles, and if I need to get a few things done in one day neither the MUP nor the surface roads (the ones not being constantly "improved") and good alternatives.

Still a lot better---by a factor of a thousand---that Orlando back in the day, but utility riding is not going to catch on until all the construction is done---after which time, from the looks of things, there will be decent bike lanes through most of the town's major business districts, so props for that---should that day come. I figure by the time the project is done, the first parts of it will be ready to be re-done.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-19-21, 01:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
I live in an unincorporated part of our big Seattle county - King County.

On most roads around my home, we get nothing. Bike lanes?, hahahaha, the white line is often the edge of the pavement with a ditch to your right. The first and last 4 - 5 miles of every ride is Share the Road and Trust the Drivers. It was delightful riding during the worst of the pandemic, but now = back to 'normal'.

The town of Issaquah has bike lanes and is the terminus of a trail heading North toward Redmond.
The next closest town, Renton, has some decent paved trails that connect to others.

However, if I were still driving (to a location to start a ride) - lots of good roads and excellent trails abound within a 15 mile radius. For the rides I enjoy most, I should move to North Bend, or Buckley/Enumclaw.

I have stopped worrying about riding with the auto/truck traffic, that's reality on semi-rural but busy King County roads.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-19-21 at 01:49 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 07-25-21, 05:39 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Kalamazoo, MI
The vast majority of "bike routes" are shared lanes on roads with a 45mph speed limit. Not too bad if you are a Class A rider and can hold your own with traffic, but if you're a 15mph plodder, or worse, family with young kids, you are relegated to the Trailways system, and a couple of them go through some VERY sketchy areas. Last time I rode the River Valley trail, there were homeless camped out on the trail surface where a bridge crossed under the main drag along the river.

Interestingly, Holland MI with it's large Dutch population and a network of bikeways that interlaces all over town, isn't even rated.
Old 07-26-21, 11:37 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
El Paso has built-in Bicycling "infrastructure" because it's quite possible to get almost anywhere in town by using side streets, especially on the east side of town where I live. Nevertheless, the city is putting in a lot of bike routes and paths on and along busy busy streets - which very few bicyclists use.
Old 07-26-21, 12:03 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
...it's a very old city with fairly narrow roads already established before Schwinn's were even a thing.
Those roads may be old, but the first paving of those roads was likely done for the benefit of the cyclists, possibly decades before cars existed there: https://www.vox.com/2015/3/19/825303...s-cars-history
Old 07-30-21, 04:55 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Originally Posted by zjrog
My community has been exploding in growth, too many high density housing projects, and no added infrastructure. ...
That is a common problem everywhere. Sacrifice quality of life on the altar of the Urban Growth Machine, see how many people you can cram in to a given city or neighborhood.
Old 07-30-21, 04:57 PM
John E
feros ferio

Originally Posted by Mark Stone
El Paso has built-in Bicycling "infrastructure" because it's quite possible to get almost anywhere in town by using side streets, especially on the east side of town where I live. Nevertheless, the city is putting in a lot of bike routes and paths on and along busy busy streets - which very few bicyclists use.
When I lived in west Los Angeles, with its well-connected grid of side streets, I always mapped out my rides in advance to minimize time on the fastest, busiest boulevards. Here in north coastal San Diego County, I can't avoid major streets for most origin-destination pairs, although I can do some of my exercise/recreational riding on smaller side streets.
Likes For John E: