Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you write negitive or neutral reviews on warmshowers?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-12-19, 05:46 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I don't often see negative or even neural reviews on warmshowers. Nor do I write usually write them. I think I wrote only one on a guest that never showed after agreement he would stay then never showed and called to cancel or contacted me later to apologize. Seems most people have the idea that if you have nothing good to say then say nothing.

Well I had two recent experiences as both a host and a guest that range from neutral to negative. The jury is still out on my experience hosting a guest so I am going to refrain from sating anything for now. I will likely give them a few more weeks to address the issue (something they borrowed that has yet to be returned).

But my experience as a guest at a host's home I feel is something people need to know about. The problem is he was a really nice guy and seemingly generous. I really hate to offend him but I think people probably need to know what to expect if they stay there. Not to go into too much detail but I was not at all comfortable with the accommodations. And I am not at all picky when it comes to someone agreeing to host me. I had to tell him I would be leaving and check into a hotel so I might have already offended him.

So do you ever leave negative or neutral reviews? Or do you just leave things be?
Old 07-12-19, 06:16 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
I have written quite a few. Especially, for host who expect payment with no notification in their profile that they are running a B&B or hiker hostel. I have written for host who shove folks out the door insanely early in the morning after spending the majority of the evening chatting. I could have slept better on the streets in fornt of a police station. I have had guest who are not in the spirit of adventure which I will leave neutral and with explaination to worn the next host.
Old 07-12-19, 07:55 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
A bad experience deserves a negative review otherwise the feedback system will not work.

If you felt uncomfortable for some reason, then a carefully worded feedback can give others the warning without being overly negative. I have not had to give a bad review but have couched some comments about the way some guests push their views too strongly in conversation. I have also got the impression about a potential guest that they were rather loud and opinionated to such an extent that I did not host them. I later met them and confirmed my suspicions.
Old 07-12-19, 10:01 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Steve0000
A bad experience deserves a negative review otherwise the feedback system will not work.

If you felt uncomfortable for some reason, then a carefully worded feedback can give others the warning without being overly negative. I have not had to give a bad review but have couched some comments about the way some guests push their views too strongly in conversation. I have also got the impression about a potential guest that they were rather loud and opinionated to such an extent that I did not host them. I later met them and confirmed my suspicions.
I assume it was politics or religion?

#1 no no for being a guest. Don't discuss politics or religion!
Old 07-12-19, 10:30 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Actually he was nuts on drinking heaps of water to solve all your ills. He 'forced' us to even watch a Youtube video on the topic. Just as bad as religion or politics. Vegetarians are similar in their conversation sometimes. I really don't want to know any more than the fact you are one. I don't want to be and am not interested in hearing why it is so wonderful being one.
It all makes for boring conversation and ends up with one person lecturing the rest. This is not a two way conversation.
Old 07-13-19, 01:21 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I've barely used warm showers, and had a fine time both times I stayed, and the one time I hosted. I left no feedback because it wasn't overly positive or negative. I don't really see any point in neutral feedback. Positive for a great time, negative if things didn't go well. My friend that I tour with did spill a beer on the floor at one guest's house(random accident, not drunkenly), which I felt Terrible about. It was a small rug on a fake hardwood floor, and he washed it out in the bathtub. Hopefully it wasn't too big of a deal, but I would understand if they were upset. I was kind of upset at him...

Originally Posted by Teamdarb
I have had guest who are not in the spirit of adventure which I will leave neutral and with explaination to worn the next host.
Huh? I think I just genuinely don't understand what you mean, unless you're trying to make them go rock climbing or participate in a swingers party or something.
Old 07-13-19, 07:09 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I wrote one as positively as I could. I had a great night's sleep. I was happy to have the place to stay, but it was less than friendly.

Old 07-13-19, 07:16 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't write reviews about my showers. If mine breaks I suppose it's over to the truck stop.

Then again, I'm not going much of anywhere.

Last edited by Rollfast; 07-13-19 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 07:21 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I just noticed the host I mentioned has only one host review. And not a word about the living space.
Old 07-13-19, 07:25 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
If for a service that typically has reviews written about them, I have occasionally written up a review. If it's positive or negative, that depends on the quality and reasonableness of the service. I have written several of each sort. I do them truthfully and, to be honest, they're well-earned either way.

I'm with you: a review is to help others know what they're getting into. Whether glowing or critical, it shouldn't matter.
Old 07-13-19, 07:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I've barely used warm showers, and had a fine time both times I stayed, and the one time I hosted. I left no feedback because it wasn't overly positive or negative. I don't really see any point in neutral feedback. Positive for a great time, negative if things didn't go well. My friend that I tour with did spill a beer on the floor at one guest's house(random accident, not drunkenly), which I felt Terrible about. It was a small rug on a fake hardwood floor, and he washed it out in the bathtub. Hopefully it wasn't too big of a deal, but I would understand if they were upset. I was kind of upset at him...

Huh? I think I just genuinely don't understand what you mean, unless you're trying to make them go rock climbing or participate in a swingers party or something.
Ha, Ha... That's funny...
Old 07-13-19, 07:30 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve0000
Actually he was nuts on drinking heaps of water to solve all your ills. He 'forced' us to even watch a Youtube video on the topic. Just as bad as religion or politics. Vegetarians are similar in their conversation sometimes. I really don't want to know any more than the fact you are one. I don't want to be and am not interested in hearing why it is so wonderful being one.
It all makes for boring conversation and ends up with one person lecturing the rest. This is not a two way conversation.
AND... There was the "problem"... BEER, That will solve all your "problems\'...