Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Free Beer and Free Whiskey?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-17-21, 08:17 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Well, I have to say I ane utterly inspired by the

How Many Bottle Openers?

thread.

So now I am curious. Our shop offers free beer and free whiskey half-shots to customers over 21. No purchase necssary. We have a whiskey bar behind the checkout counter and a free beer refrigerator on the shop floor under the watchful eye of our head mechanic (which may not be our best idea). We cannot sell it so we offer it for free. Do you know of any other shops that offer similar complimentary refreshments?
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 02-17-21, 08:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
niiice!
Only free items i know of are coffee & greetings as you walk in.
Old 02-17-21, 09:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
In NY State mere transfer of a substance constitutes a sale. Ask me how I know

The other though I have about this thread's topic is that of liability. I sure hope that the shop is legally permitted and insured. Andy
Old 02-18-21, 10:08 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I'm no teetotaler but giving out alcohol to customers who either have to drive or ride away is a bad idea. I know you said it's only one half-shot of whiskey or a beer but it isn't the best thing. You'd be better off offering free cigarettes. I've ridden with a couple friends who would have a few beers (yeah I know, not the same as a half-shot or single beer but after getting hammered they would probably also visit a shop giving away free booze on the way home) and they could hardly unlock their bikes without nearly falling down but thought they were perfectly fine to ride home. They weren't. Anyways the liability should be enough to scare you away from doing this with so many willing to sue due to their own stupidity. I don't get the popularity of the "Beer Crawls" you see in cities either where people are encouraged to get on their bikes and sample all the local breweries.
Old 02-18-21, 10:20 AM
Troul 

Anyone that is of age should take it under their own responsibility to make the appropriate decision of the acceptance for such consumable products. No one is forcing the guests or customers to consume the complimentary items. If someone stumbles in to the store, slurring words, asking for white castles & the business decides to still serve the freebies, well... there's an obvious answer in their, & I shouldn't have to spell it out.
Old 02-18-21, 10:48 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Anyone that is of age should take it under their own responsibility to make the appropriate decision of the acceptance for such consumable products. No one is forcing the guests or customers to consume the complimentary items. If someone stumbles in to the store, slurring words, asking for white castles & the business decides to still serve the freebies, well... there's an obvious answer in their, & I shouldn't have to spell it out.
Except too many people don't take responsibility for their actions and their victims get sent to the hospital or morgue as a result not to mention some people hide their inebriation well and have lost their ability to think rationally. I used to work as a waiter and the laws were very strict for us about serving obviously drunk customers. I still wasn't 100% certain all the time who was OK and who wasn't. That's the reality. 10k people are killed in drunk driving car accidents every year. That's a lot of irresponsible drunks.
Old 02-18-21, 11:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,927 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
In NY State mere transfer of a substance constitutes a sale. Ask me how I know
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I'm no teetotaler but giving out alcohol to customers who either have to drive or ride away is a bad idea.
OP hasn't been back to address these issues, so I will chime in; I hope he doesn't mind.

OP's shop is in PA, where it is perfectly legal for a retail establishment to give out free drinks. You can look it up.

And since I have been to OP's shop, I can't imagine him letting anyone get hammered (or more hammered). I mean, it's a bike shop. And OP seems like a reasonable person.
Old 02-18-21, 11:16 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
The "Gotta be a modern 29er" school of thought makes sense for high-speed technical trails, of course. But then there's Tom Ritchey, who began riding off-road in California on his sewup-tire road bike in the mid-1970s. The last time I came across a mention of his off-road riding, maybe 8 years ago, he still enjoyed riding the same road bike on the same trails.
Old 02-18-21, 11:29 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The shop giving beer to the customers is the opposite of how it's supposed to work.
Old 02-18-21, 11:39 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
There is clearly a bad bad guy in the 'Burg. Shame shame.
Can I stop by next time I'm out there? Sounds like my kinda place.
Old 02-18-21, 01:28 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Well, I don't even have any beer in my workshop. No point, really, what with having no mates, or at least any on this continent, so I drink with wifie instead.
At our new place the workshop will also be on our property, so I might get some beer in, and invite wifie in.
Old 02-18-21, 01:36 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm betting this, if true, is going to be a short lived policy.
Old 02-18-21, 02:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
In a similar vein....I used to go to a butchers shop that had a beer keg in the walkin and a tap outside....good beef and beer and I was surprised when I tried a new place for a haircut....that was not guy hair cut focused by any means, and they had a beer tap also

both long gone it is sad to say

Old 02-18-21, 02:28 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
not to that extent. i drop off a six-pack of good stuff every three weeks or so at my lbs. it's theirs to do with as they please. i've
had two beers there in 6 years but been offered beer maybe 3-4x a year. it's a pretty small place and seems like it's offered
to good customers or perhaps upon a new bike/big purchase. it's not like i've stopped/been there on any visit and a brewery broke out.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-18-21 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-18-21, 03:13 PM
Troul 

I treat business & customers that I've known like family with a appreciation of what they will gladly accept on there own conscious. Makes for a good day, whether for them or I, someones gotta be happy in this day & age.
Old 02-18-21, 08:17 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Thanks for the comments all. We do use a lot of judgement with who we offer to of course as means to maintain control. We do have a regular customer who we will not serve, but is still a very good customer. We have similar mixed reaction from customers and of course we never push anything on people and maintain control with anyone possibly under 21. Soon we will be offering free coffee, tea and soft drinks as well. It certainly is not a raucous crowd drinking heavily at the shop.I can assure you!
Old 02-18-21, 10:18 PM
Troul 

If it helps, I noticed a lot of free Gatorade zero and other zero cal beverages being a hit at most sport activity related businesses.
Old 02-19-21, 10:49 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
I thought this was going to turn out to be:

”Free beer and whiskey!

...Tomorrow!”
Old 02-19-21, 11:20 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
We do coffee, tea, juice and water during non-covid times. The problem with beer and whiskey is keeping a good track of it and also keeping it away from our younger employees and the ones legally allowed to drink who could be tempted to drink while working. The idea is fine though so long as you keep it reasonable which it sounds like OP is doing. But it is a tough thing to control well and it can get to be a big expense if you buy decent quality whiskey and stay busy.
Old 02-19-21, 01:38 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The "Gotta be a modern 29er" school of thought makes sense for high-speed technical trails, of course. But then there's Tom Ritchey, who began riding off-road in California on his sewup-tire road bike in the mid-1970s. The last time I came across a mention of his off-road riding, maybe 8 years ago, he still enjoyed riding the same road bike on the same trails.
Yeah! And that's relevant here.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-20-21, 01:46 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Well, I have to say I ane utterly inspired by the

How Many Bottle Openers?

thread.

So now I am curious. Our shop offers free beer and free whiskey half-shots to customers over 21. No purchase necssary. We have a whiskey bar behind the checkout counter and a free beer refrigerator on the shop floor under the watchful eye of our head mechanic (which may not be our best idea). We cannot sell it so we offer it for free. Do you know of any other shops that offer similar complimentary refreshments?
Old 02-20-21, 05:17 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Wow, you'd get my business in a heartbeat! I'm positive that would be illegal here unfortunately (British Columbia)
Old 02-20-21, 05:33 PM
AeroGut

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
OP's shop is in PA, where it is perfectly legal for a retail establishment to give out free drinks. You can look it up.
This is a bit ironic given how difficult it is to buy liquor and beer in PA.
Old 02-20-21, 05:38 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Would happily patronize this establishment lol.
Old 02-20-21, 06:20 PM
Troul 

just thought of another leisure item that some might appreciate. Cigars. Noticed a Cigars Coffee Cycling shindig take place pre2020, & nothing negative came of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.