Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The silent type

Old 05-01-21, 08:18 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
The silent type

I took a short ride today about five miles while I was riding I got this thought it may become an issue maybe not , I was thinking about how while riding you can hear and pretty much know what's coming up behind you by the sound cars and trucks make , well do you all think that once there's a significant e-cars on the streets of May present a problem for cyclists ? Just an observation ......
Old 05-01-21, 08:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Just use a mirror and then you know for sure what is coming from behind you even if you can't hear it.
Old 05-01-21, 08:27 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Scan you mirror every 3-5 seconds.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-01-21, 08:29 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
If you want to be aware of cars coming from behind, don't rely on hearing. Get a Garmin Varia rear blinkie/radar, and a compatible gps. Wahoo has a few compatible models, and of course, most Garmins pair with it, also.

The radar display tells you something is coming. To know whether or not it will hit you, you have to use a mirror.
Old 05-01-21, 08:58 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I tend to hear the noise the car/truck tires make as they come up behind me more than the engine/exhaust sound.

Same with dogs chasing after me - I hear the claws scratching on the pavement as they run if they don't bark...
Old 05-01-21, 09:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Unless the vehicle has a noisy exhaust, I can hear the tire noise behind me. Most car engines are quite quiet and are well muffled. Have never been surprised by an e-car and there are quite a few about. For me it’s a non-issue, but understand people have different hearing levels.

Quite a few excellent suggestions above.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-01-21, 09:04 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I wear buds just so I can't hear all the noise of traffic. I never go for a ride without my mirror which is attached to my helmet, and like mentioned earlier, check it all the time. It's referred to as situational awareness.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-02-21, 02:42 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Electric manufacturer's add noise to car >>>

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...and%20cyclists.

Eyes and ears rely on mirror for me
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-02-21, 04:04 AM
Fastfingaz

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

,,,,,,,,, good information !!!!! Thanks
Old 05-02-21, 06:20 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I’ll trust them to pass me safely like I do every other vehicle which passes me on the road.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-02-21, 06:25 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I want to know where exactly in the lane the cars are, and if they are shifting position and/or slowing down. That's why I constantly monitor my mirror.

If I was ever hit or had a close call from behind and didn't see it coming I'd consider that a failure on my part.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-02-21, 06:42 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
I took a short ride today about five miles while I was riding I got this thought it may become an issue maybe not , I was thinking about how while riding you can hear and pretty much know what's coming up behind you by the sound cars and trucks make , well do you all think that once there's a significant e-cars on the streets of May present a problem for cyclists ?
My experience is that when motor vehicles move at anything over about 20mph, the tires make as much or more noise than the engine, regardless of whether the engine uses fossil energy or electricity, so you can still hear them coming.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-02-21, 07:47 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

I saw something about this some time ago and my first thought was that some people will try to personalize these tones for better, or most likely for worse.
Old 05-02-21, 08:46 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
do you all think that once there's a significant e-cars on the streets of May present a problem for cyclists ?
I think we'll have plenty of time to festoon our bikes with mirrors and cell-phone radar systems before it becomes an issue. I plan to have a drone follow me and announce any conceivable threat through a loudspeaker.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-02-21, 08:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Engine noise is something that we tolerate because we have to, and we've had to acclimate to our whole lives. A silent fleet can't arrive too quickly IMO.

In urban or suburban traffic we're getting passed constantly. The noise adds no helpful information.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 05-02-21, 09:17 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I think we'll have plenty of time to festoon our bikes with mirrors and cell-phone radar systems before it becomes an issue. I plan to have a drone follow me and announce any conceivable threat through a loudspeaker.
I like it!
I’m looking forward to employing one of those cyborg dogs; it can gallop just behind me to my left and emit flashing lights and sirens to ensure my safety!
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 05-02-21, 10:13 AM
Fastfingaz

Some of these solutions are unacceptable , some people can't afford drones and radar receivers ,,, there's got to be a better way ,,,, I guess going back to the Antiquated Mirror device,,,,
Old 05-02-21, 10:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
I know this statement will be controversial, but what the H. Have often wondered how effective a rear view mirror or radar or sensors are at actually preventing a collision between an inattentive driver and a cyclist. If the driver has his eyes off the road and is heading towards the shoulder at 45 and the cyclist is doing 15, with a couple of second closing speed and a relative distance of 50 feet, can a cyclist actually get off the shoulder and into a ditch in time? What are the chances that the cyclist is not monitoring their device at that time?

I used a mirror when I first started cycling because to be honest, I was inexperienced and fearful of being hit. After, in all likelihood of 100,000 miles, I have yet been run down from the back which means, TO ME, that the odds are relatively small of that event occurring. That’s the way my brain works is looking at the odds of an event and the risk versus reward. Can I get off the road fast enough when a vehicle bearing down on me at 3 to 4 times my speed heads towards me? Personally I doubt it, especially if they go off the shoulder too.

I can hear the rebuttals, of why not take every precaution, why not be safe than sorry, I just feel better, but I would rather relax rather than constantly be monitoring that there is a remote chance. Cycling is inherently risky and I accept that risk, remembering that I like my odds.

The only time I would fine a mirror handy is on a couple of rural roads that are so rutted and broken up that the only comfortable place to ride is the center of the lane and it would give me time to see oncoming cars, so I can get over, rather than looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds.

So how many can definitively state their life has been saved by a mirror, radar, or what have you?. My sample size is one, so please educate me. Or does peace of mind over rule the odds?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-02-21, 11:01 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I took a short ride today about five miles while I was riding I got this thought it may become an issue maybe not , I was thinking about how while riding you can hear and pretty much know what's coming up behind you by the sound cars and trucks make , well do you all think that once there's a significant e-cars on the streets of May present a problem for cyclists ? Just an observation ......
IME unless the car is accelerating hard, the rolling/tire noise of an EV is pretty much the same as that of a gas vehicle. Slow-moving EVs are certainly close to silent
Old 05-02-21, 12:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Some of these solutions are unacceptable , some people can't afford drones and radar receivers ,,, there's got to be a better way ,,,, I guess going back to the Antiquated Mirror device,,,,
We just have to have Marketing come up with a catchier name for a mirror, maybe "optical radar sensor unit" or something.
Old 05-02-21, 01:06 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
As per above, you can hear the tires at higher speeds. You can also hear the aerodynamic drag on large fast-passing vehicles. If that's not enough, then look back or use a mirror. Varia radar if you've got money, very nice.
Old 05-02-21, 01:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I know this statement will be controversial, but what the H. Have often wondered how effective a rear view mirror or radar or sensors are at actually preventing a collision between an inattentive driver and a cyclist. If the driver has his eyes off the road and is heading towards the shoulder at 45 and the cyclist is doing 15, with a couple of second closing speed and a relative distance of 50 feet, can a cyclist actually get off the shoulder and into a ditch in time? What are the chances that the cyclist is not monitoring their device at that time?

I used a mirror when I first started cycling because to be honest, I was inexperienced and fearful of being hit. After, in all likelihood of 100,000 miles, I have yet been run down from the back which means, TO ME, that the odds are relatively small of that event occurring. That’s the way my brain works is looking at the odds of an event and the risk versus reward. Can I get off the road fast enough when a vehicle bearing down on me at 3 to 4 times my speed heads towards me? Personally I doubt it, especially if they go off the shoulder too.

I can hear the rebuttals, of why not take every precaution, why not be safe than sorry, I just feel better, but I would rather relax rather than constantly be monitoring that there is a remote chance. Cycling is inherently risky and I accept that risk, remembering that I like my odds.

The only time I would fine a mirror handy is on a couple of rural roads that are so rutted and broken up that the only comfortable place to ride is the center of the lane and it would give me time to see oncoming cars, so I can get over, rather than looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds.

So how many can definitively state their life has been saved by a mirror, radar, or what have you?. My sample size is one, so please educate me. Or does peace of mind over rule the odds?
Thinking people use the mirror as a last second "bail out to save their life" tool is not the correct way to look at it. (even though it most certainly would help in this situation compared to only using ears and limited head checks)

It's about being close to 100% aware of what exactly is going on behind me, in order to avoid issues before it becomes too late.

I always default to the lane for a multitude of reasons, and then move right if it is safe and reasonable to do so when faster overtaking traffic approaches. Many times it is not safe or reasonable to move right so I hold the lane. What I see behind are drivers moving left or slowing to my speed. Anyone not doing so would be apparent early on. I've never had a need to "get off the shoulder and into a ditch in time". Like you, I found issues from behind to be rare. But I still consider it my responsibility to be aware of it. The mirror just makes it so much easier to monitor all this quickly in real time, as you have noted.

It also aids in planning maneuvers ahead of time.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-02-21, 01:28 PM
Fastfingaz

Here's a thought have a bike built for two but have the rider in the back seated backwards and constantly being vigil of all the action coming up from the rear ....??
Old 05-02-21, 02:39 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Ive never used a mirror. How does it change your behavior? How do deaf ppl ride? Practice vehicular cycling. I turn my head around to look back a lot- its an undistorted view & cars know I can see them.
Likes For epnnf:
Old 05-02-21, 02:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
well do you all think that once there's a significant e-cars on the streets of May present a problem for cyclists ? ......
I think a silent cyclists coming from behind you would be much harder to hear than an EV car...Just imagine riding along and having to swerve to avoid some pothole or other obstacle and next thing you know you're getting hit by some silent cyclists. This has actually happened to me many years ago when I was still new to cycling and that's one reason why I put a mirror on my bike...Lucky form me that it happened on an MUP and not on the road..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.