Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any old guys here doing strength training?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any old guys here doing strength training?

Old 01-26-23, 12:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
yes, pdf to dnvrfox@aol.com. How long do you hold your plank? I do between 90 and 150 seconds, and about 20 push-ups that are not in perfect form, but I do lots of other stuff. Thanks for the PDF, hope they come through. Denver
I only plank 2 minutes . . .I have to put a limit on it. I have other things to do. I think 2' is really all one needs. I do pushups to exhaustion, whatever that is, so far always less than 30. The days when, in the Army, I loved to get punished and have to knock out 40 - those are long gone. I call not being able to hold form exhaustion, no point. It's just as much core work as arm work. Just my practice. I can't do Marine pushups anymore, where one claps their hands. I could do them 15 years ago. Oh well.

PDFs are on the way.
Old 01-30-23, 10:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I just enrolled in a PE class at the local community college in order to use their fitness center. I had to enroll in the college, fill out some paperwork, sit through an online orientation video and quiz, and complete a fitness assessment. I have to log in at least 2 times a week, and I'll have to redo the fitness assessment at the end of the semester to see if I've made improvement. But now I have access to a really well-equipped gym that's a five minute bike ride from my house and it cost me a grand total of $41 till the end of the semester in May. What gym or club can you join for less than $10 a month? It feels like I've unlocked a cheat code.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-31-23, 07:22 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I just enrolled in a PE class at the local community college in order to use their fitness center. I had to enroll in the college, fill out some paperwork, sit through an online orientation video and quiz, and complete a fitness assessment. I have to log in at least 2 times a week, and I'll have to redo the fitness assessment at the end of the semester to see if I've made improvement. But now I have access to a really well-equipped gym that's a five minute bike ride from my house and it cost me a grand total of $41 till the end of the semester in May. What gym or club can you join for less than $10 a month? It feels like I've unlocked a cheat code.
Nice! A full featured gym close to your house beats a home gym every time. Plus, you can shower/shave, etc using their facilities/water. Win, win. Pro tip from a gym rat:

Buy the 3 pack of Master combo locks. You don't have to learn a new code when when/if you lose one.

Last edited by seypat; 01-31-23 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-31-23, 07:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
In somewhat related news, I do a half marathon around St. Patrick's Day every year.(St. Patrick's day is my birthday) I take a yoga class 3 times a week with the weekend session on Saturday morning. I usually do a training run before or after the yoga classes and lift weights also. The long weekend training run is getting into the 8+mile range, so I started doing it on Sunday morning this past weekend. The yoga class on Saturday didn't seem like a tough one until I got up to leave. Then it felt like I'd been in a wrestling match. I walked out and had to reduce the weight on some of my lifts from the normal amount. The Sunday run was a good one. One of the better runs this year. I came in the house afterwards and told my wife I felt better than after the yoga class.

Here's the important part of my post. The most likely reason the run was good is because of the crosstraining like the yoga, the weights, the cycling, swimming, etc. It's all connected. Do as much as you can. Don't just concentrate on one or two things. Your body will thank you for it.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-31-23, 11:30 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Nice! A full featured gym close to your house beats a home gym every time. Plus, you can shower/shave, etc using their facilities/water. Win, win. Pro tip from a gym rat:

Yes, I prefer going to the gym than doing some exercises in my basement. It's a bit stuffy, my bench is ok but my adjustable dumbbells can't take the wear and tear that gym dumbbells can take.

(Bowflex selecttech dumbbells have to be handled gently. I had to fix replace a broken disk).

And going to the gym gives me an excuse to ride my bike.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-06-23, 02:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - I was NOT into it today. but I went & got my reps in anyway. feeling better, that I did
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-07-23, 10:35 AM
Gaulavana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
So what kind of Winter strength training do Bike Forums old guys (all genders) do?

Since it's the time of year we spend more time indoors than outdoors, I've been thinking about doing some full body strength training. Because:
  1. to maintain some of that mid-season fitness
  2. to do something about this "98 pound weakling" cyclist physique
  3. health experts say resistance training is important for us olds to maintain strength
  4. I've never done it before, might as well try something new
I started doing some at-home exercises: squats, planks, bicycle crunches (love that name), dumbbells, ballerina jumping jacks (don't laugh, they're hard). Feels pretty good, so far. And it's surprising good aerobic exercise.

What are others doing?

I'm just coming across this and I also had it in mind. especially your first point, to keep the mid-season fitness. I'm not even that consistent if I'm honest but I still try to train because I fear that lack of activity or prolonged sitting may cause my muscles to weaken.
Old 02-20-23, 05:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
The ncbi is rife with articles about women and bone density problems. Here is an interesting article that looks at VO2, max power, strength training and bone density in men. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7104585/

It supports my world view so I think it is correct.

IMO, bone density and bone loss for various reasons is complex. I am not so sure that impact and more severe bone loading is required to maintain bone density.

I workout in the gym and focus on increasing strength. I think strength is crucial to maintain ones health as well as ride a bike. And I think that high intensity on the bike effects epigenetics in a positive way preserving quality of life. YMMV.
Bone density was considered to be important to avoid fractures with women and when drugs were pushed on them to increase bone density it was found that denser bones were equally likely to fracture as they were not stronger bones. What has been found to be most effective is using free weights to load the bones and very little weight is needed to improve bone strength and more important, to improve balance.
Old 02-21-23, 09:45 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
it was found that denser bones were equally likely to fracture
Citation?
Old 02-21-23, 11:26 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Ok, this might be a good place to ask.

Eight days ago I underwent a full knee replacement surgery. Although my recovery is going well (almost TOO well!) I'm barely into the second week of the recovery phase and I'm getting really bored. Obviously I'm doing my knee exercises here at home to get my range of motion back and I was wondering what other beneficial exercises I can do to get ready to hop back on the bike.

I do have some dumbbells at home and my physical therapist mentioned something about getting a trainer for my bike, probably the kind that lifts the back wheel off the floor.

This coming Tuesday I have an appt. with my surgeon and then he will probably then recommend working with machines at the hospital to increase my ROM so I will also have to ask him about this.
Old 02-21-23, 12:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by smurfy
Ok, this might be a good place to ask.Eight days ago I underwent a full knee replacement surgery. Although my recovery is going well (almost TOO well!) I'm barely into the second week of the recovery phase and I'm getting really bored. Obviously I'm doing my knee exercises here at home to get my range of motion back and I was wondering what other beneficial exercises I can do to get ready to hop back on the bike.I do have some dumbbells at home and my physical therapist mentioned something about getting a trainer for my bike, probably the kind that lifts the back wheel off the floor. This coming Tuesday I have an appt. with my surgeon and then he will probably then recommend working with machines at the hospital to increase my ROM so I will also have to ask him about this.
fwiw - I've often read, the best training for cycling is cycling
Old 02-21-23, 12:21 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by smurfy
Ok, this might be a good place to ask.

Eight days ago I underwent a full knee replacement surgery. Although my recovery is going well (almost TOO well!) I'm barely into the second week of the recovery phase and I'm getting really bored. Obviously I'm doing my knee exercises here at home to get my range of motion back and I was wondering what other beneficial exercises I can do to get ready to hop back on the bike.

I do have some dumbbells at home and my physical therapist mentioned something about getting a trainer for my bike, probably the kind that lifts the back wheel off the floor.

This coming Tuesday I have an appt. with my surgeon and then he will probably then recommend working with machines at the hospital to increase my ROM so I will also have to ask him about this.
Just went through this with my wife. PT was happy with her using the trainer WITH VERY LITTLE RESISTANCE as soon as they were assured she could mount and dismount safely. Initially, she used it as a ROM modality and didn't attempt a full revolution, but she was quickly able to ride normally, add a little resistance, and begin to get some aerobic benefit.
Old 02-21-23, 01:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
I don't have direct experience with knee replacement, but I did use a trainer after hip surgery.

As soon as I could get onto the trainer (with help from my wife), I started using it. First with just a little resistance, increasing the resistance and time gradually until I was doing 2-hour sessions.

It helped greatly. By the time I got back on the road, I was able to keep up with my ride buddies (even though I still couldn't put full weight on the leg, so I carried a folding cane in my jersey pocket.).

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-21-23, 01:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Bone density was considered to be important to avoid fractures with women and when drugs were pushed on them to increase bone density it was found that denser bones were equally likely to fracture as they were not stronger bones. What has been found to be most effective is using free weights to load the bones and very little weight is needed to improve bone strength and more important, to improve balance.
That "denser bones" bit is from an old study with older women who took alendronate for way too long. Current prescribing is for no more than 4 years at a stretch, which is effective.

It's true that it may not take that much weight, but so far the large studies I've seen indicate either moderately heavy weight, 60%-85% 1RM or impact, i.e. jumping, and preferably both as neither has the same effect on all bones.
https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/no...icle/view/1338
https://thesportjournal.org/article/...commendations/.
Old 02-21-23, 01:57 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That "denser bones" bit is from an old study with older women who took alendronate for way too long. Current prescribing is for no more than 4 years at a stretch, which is effective.

It's true that it may not take that much weight, but so far the large studies I've seen indicate either moderately heavy weight, 60%-85% 1RM or impact, i.e. jumping, and preferably both as neither has the same effect on all bones.
https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/no...icle/view/1338
https://thesportjournal.org/article/...commendations/.
That's interesting.

The evidence that low mineral density is a risk factor for fractures in men and women is overwhelming and beyond dispute. Most "abnormal" fractures do in fact occur in people with normal or moderately low (osteopenic, not osteoporotic) bone density. So, there are other factors related to age, but those are absolute numbers, not rates of occurrence in the different bone density groups.
Old 02-26-23, 08:08 PM
Cgnman59

Bikes: 2009 Giant FCR2, 1994 Univega Via DeOro, 1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
I am 63 and was working out 4-5 times in the gym before the pandemic. At the beginning of COVID I had an extruded disk between L4-L5 and a month after that a knee replacement with complications. Finally was able to get back on a bike 5 months after surgery and felt like a jellyfish. During the pandemic my wife and I decided to work out at home 3-4 times a week with dumbbells, also push-ups and planks. 5-6 days a week as possible we row and cycle on alternate days. I might get back into more aggressive workouts at the gym but for now my routine fits my lifestyle and provides me with both strength and aerobic training with lower impacts. The key for me has been consistency.
Old 03-01-23, 11:37 AM
rdsmith3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cgnman59
I am 63 and ... The key for me has been consistency.
I'm also 63. Yes, consistency is extremely important, especially as we get older. As I get older, I realize that it is a blessing to be able to move and enjoy life. Working out consistently, with a balance of weight training and cardio, is the best thing I can do to maintain my health.
Old 03-01-23, 01:51 PM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
At 72, I still pursue "training", as opposed to 'riding my bike'. I'll race a coupla' time a year. [Often the oldest, never the slowest...so far...knock wood. IMHO, competing enforces attention on training.]

Anyway, I'm mostly a cyclist, but "The Old Man's Handbook"* says I need to work on Endurance, Strength, Agility, and Balance. Well, I need to also fight social isolation, so I'm out there with people EVERY day!

Therefore, I cycle every other day...LOTS and LOTS of Zone 2 with tempo, hills, and sprints lathered in. Lots of protein...lots of veg...easy on the carbs...NO refined sugars**.

On 'off' days, I alternate gym and go for long walks with a stretching pole and work in balance, too. I cut a bizarre spectacle, stretching and balancing, for the cute grandmothers out there...a story for another campfire, my children.

Anyway, to answer your question, my winters aren't much different from my entire year. I live in Western Maryland [USA], so am invested in winter cycling kit. That said, the cold is NO DAMN FUN.

* - The Old Man's Handbook...it doesn't exist, but I'm thinking about writing it.
** - In truth, I'll 'cheat' on holiday. I SO love glazed donuts, but there's no dessert that tastes as good as being tight, strong, and fast feels!
Likes For Billy Bones:
Old 03-01-23, 01:55 PM
rdsmith3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great advice! Balance and agility are really important. I didn't realize how bad my balance is until I did physical therapy for my knees.
Old 03-02-23, 05:26 AM
rumrunn6

this is my 2nd week off weight training. oh well, life happens, right? hoping to hop back on the training train next week
Old 03-02-23, 05:32 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Billy Bones
love glazed donuts, but there's no dessert that tastes as good as being tight, strong, and fast feels!
good advice. was looking at the Dunkins' menu recently. don't remember what donut I was looking at maybe a jelly? regardless, the 1 donut was 500 calories. omg! I sometimes get 2! that's so NOT good for me. but yeah donuts are tasty
Old 03-05-23, 04:09 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Cool! Just happened to be taking an ice cream break after rebuilding my weight clamps/collars on the weights I just acquired!
The Marcy cable/Smith cage set up that I’m looking to get doesn’t come with weights.
I got a one(1)” and a two(2)” Olympic bar.

Serious weight here!

The Shiz! Spray. Spray. Tap. Tap. Lock bolt is moving!

I got these just before he was going to throw them out!
He’d already thrown out the full cast dumbbell set!!!
I just don’t understand some people!
Even if you don’t use them(he could), I believe that they are being sold for at least $1.00 a lbs!
I already have a Total Gym that I added extra weight to and that’s my indoor gym.
They work and don’t take up a lot of space.
They are easy on the 68 year old(69 in April) joints!
I used PB Blaster…outside!
Used it once inside!
Even had trouble using in the attached garage!
Heating system would distribute it throughout the house two days after I used it!
This stuff is the Shiz!

Last edited by billnuke1; 03-05-23 at 04:16 PM. Reason: New picture…
Old 03-05-23, 04:29 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
At 72, I still pursue "training", as opposed to 'riding my bike'. I'll race a coupla' time a year. [Often the oldest, never the slowest...so far...knock wood. IMHO, competing enforces attention on training.]

Anyway, I'm mostly a cyclist, but "The Old Man's Handbook"* says I need to work on Endurance, Strength, Agility, and Balance. Well, I need to also fight social isolation, so I'm out there with people EVERY day!

Therefore, I cycle every other day...LOTS and LOTS of Zone 2 with tempo, hills, and sprints lathered in. Lots of protein...lots of veg...easy on the carbs...NO refined sugars**.

On 'off' days, I alternate gym and go for long walks with a stretching pole and work in balance, too. I cut a bizarre spectacle, stretching and balancing, for the cute grandmothers out there...a story for another campfire, my children.

Anyway, to answer your question, my winters aren't much different from my entire year. I live in Western Maryland [USA], so am invested in winter cycling kit. That said, the cold is NO DAMN FUN.

* - The Old Man's Handbook...it doesn't exist, but I'm thinking about writing it.
** - In truth, I'll 'cheat' on holiday. I SO love glazed donuts, but there's no dessert that tastes as good as being tight, strong, and fast feels!
How about:
Balance Agility Strength Endurance, BASE for your old man's training guide motto?
Old 03-14-23, 09:41 AM
pendolare 

Bikes: 2001 Bianchi Brava, 2001 Bianchi Volpe, 1994 GT Karakoram

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I'm doing strength training at the YMCA

I'm 57 years old and I'm doing these weight lifting techniques:

Leg Press
Cable Rows
Tricep pulldowns
Incline bench press with dumbells
Power 21s
Lat pulldowns
Overhead chest press
I'm also doing planks and reverse crunches
Old 03-16-23, 05:07 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Depends on what you mean by old and strength...
Realized I was getting out of shape. Long winters...
Used to lift but gave that up a few years ago. Six weeks ago started doing a circuit of pushups, tricep dips and incline pullups. Keeping it simple. AND... started stretching after. Do this before work, so I can concentrate on indoor cycling when I get home. Have managed to rid the sciatica and shoulder tightness/pain.

I was trying to fit all that in after work, and it was easier to convince myself that I was too tired, and would end up not doing anything.

So...HERE IS TO THE END OF SNOW AND ICE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.