Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Using Bike Trails - Yea or Nay?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring Using Bike Trails - Yea or Nay?

Old 02-03-23, 06:09 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
First let me say, it is really good to see Indy back!

Btw, especiality given the advent of gravel riding's popularity it occurred to me that some of this might even come down to what we do or don't call a bike trail. Around the Tallahassee area we have a wonderful trail system. The city, county, and various recreational communities really take pride in the trails and take good care of them. I don't consider most of them to be bike trails, but would consider just a few of them to be. I ride what I consider to be trails but not bike trails daily on my mountain bike, but some might consider some portion of the ride to be on a "bike trail". Not exactly touring related, but I could see a similar question of semantics for touring.

So any way for me, I'd prefer to avoid stuff like rail trails or MUPs, but enjoy forest service service roads, actual trails, dirt roads, or on most tours just regular paved roads. I could see myself doing more unpaved touring in the future than I have in the past. The thing that may keep me from some of the routes that would orherwise appeal is that some of them require carrying more supplies than I like (water in some cases).
Old 02-03-23, 10:21 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I plan on riding this Spring from Western MA to NYC. From my house into CT. I will need to use roads till I hit the rail trail.
At the end of the trail, I will be on back & main roads through CT. till I hit Brewster NY and then take the rail trails towards NYC.
I rode the Champlain Valley Trail, and it was some off road, but mostly on road to Rouses Point.