Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Solidarity with motor bikers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Solidarity with motor bikers

Old 01-16-22, 09:38 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Do you think there is solidarity between cyclists and bikers? We both ride on two wheels and face being hit by cagers. Most people I've talked to seem to think there is no solidarity between us, but I kind of disagree with that. Two wheels good four weels bad.

It probably varies a LOT from country to country. When out riding here I often get a wave (or a returned wave) from passing motorcyclists. If I'm out on the Kawasaki I'll often wave to cyclists too if the situation permits.

Two wheels are good for the soul.
Old 01-16-22, 09:49 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
LOL! ……..
go to Silverstone, Isle of Man, Misano, Jerez and you'll find the same rabid fans as those on the side of the Alpe de Huiz, Arenberg forest, The Ventoux...
The same crazies who start their year with the 'Dakar' (even though it's now is SA)
I have as many Moto Buddies as I do Velo... many of whom don;t do the 'other'/dark side (to them), but all who appreciate the 2 wheel thing.
As noted by others, once you get into personal space and contact, the similarities are usually celebrated……….
Ride On
Yuri
The “2 wheel thing” is a big tent but there are limits to solidarity. We each just have to define that for ourselves.

Last edited by majmt; 01-16-22 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 10:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Don’t really feel it. Did get a thumbs up from a tourer once but didn’t take it personally.

Old 01-16-22, 10:09 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Here in Hawaii we get MC clubs out riding on the weekends. I invariable get a close pass from them (same thing for groups of MC cops). So no love from me.

scott s.
Old 01-16-22, 10:26 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
As far as "solidarity" I dunno.

Most 2 wheel, leather jacket, bad mo-fo types also tend to be moderately affluent, wife/2 kid, mortgage, giant pick-up truck, high-bills types that as a coping mechanism also fancy themselves as the independent, "eff-em'-if they're-not-already-on-my-side" on the weekend poser types. The loud pipes & leather Banditos affiliate jacket is their big buy-in to the: "I get to be a jerk like I really wanna be IRL so I can be one of the the cool kids." group.

The challenge is to relate to Mr. Established, middle-income Billy Rebel riding on the 30k Harley Dyna-Status-Glide with the knuckle-pan mojo is to make a connection on their level...The relate is: vulnerability of being on 2 wheels, out in the open, exposed, being different, & being disregarded. They want to see the scenery, but also want to be part of the scene on a first-hand basis, too.

I've found that once the connection is made, it's something they readily understand & relate to...So, maybe? But, understanding bicycling is something that must be served to them. They've been conditioned to believe horsepower is power is authenticity, bad-assity.

I know I put over 100,000 miles on my eleven-hundred dollar KZ1000 police bike. Only rarely was I not alone in the designated motorcycle parking area of my work when the 37 degree rains arrived. That tells you all you need to know about Mr. McRebel.
Mr. McRebel has enough sense to not ride in 37 degree rain.
All I need to know about a hater
Old 01-17-22, 03:47 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
fake bikers are the worst. clip on ponytails, what a joke.
there are some real bikers up here, they do the toy run before Christmas and it is usually raining and about 34 degrees.
Old 01-17-22, 05:24 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
As far as "solidarity" I dunno.

Most 2 wheel, leather jacket, bad mo-fo types also tend to be moderately affluent, wife/2 kid, mortgage, giant pick-up truck, high-bills types that as a coping mechanism also fancy themselves as the independent, "eff-em'-if they're-not-already-on-my-side" on the weekend poser types. The loud pipes & leather Banditos affiliate jacket is their big buy-in to the: "I get to be a jerk like I really wanna be IRL so I can be one of the the cool kids." group.

The challenge is to relate to Mr. Established, middle-income Billy Rebel riding on the 30k Harley Dyna-Status-Glide with the knuckle-pan mojo is to make a connection on their level...The relate is: vulnerability of being on 2 wheels, out in the open, exposed, being different, & being disregarded. They want to see the scenery, but also want to be part of the scene on a first-hand basis, too.

I've found that once the connection is made, it's something they readily understand & relate to...So, maybe? But, understanding bicycling is something that must be served to them. They've been conditioned to believe horsepower is power is authenticity, bad-assity.

I know I put over 100,000 miles on my eleven-hundred dollar KZ1000 police bike. Only rarely was I not alone in the designated motorcycle parking area of my work when the 37 degree rains arrived. That tells you all you need to know about Mr. McRebel.
Originally Posted by caloso
I always assumed those Harleys were made of sugar. I’ve never seen one out on a rainy day.
None of that hit the mark in my case

Old 01-17-22, 05:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I actually did get very close passed by some bikers doing a large run in NW Montana. There were no other vehicles in sight. I finally pulled over on the small shoulder against the guardrail until they all passed.

Probably the worst encounter ever. The overwhelming majority have been great.

I live in NH, and basically for a good portion of the summer , motorcycles dominate on a lot of the roads I ride on. Bike Week in Laconia is really more like three weeks throughout most of the state. I had one ride this year where I got passed by a huge group that I decided to stop for, but that had more to do with my hate of the sound of the huge group of engines. I just wanted them to get byas fast as possible.

I will say that the noise pollution aspect is something that I find very annoying.
​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-17-22, 06:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
yeah under normal circumstances I wave at everyone on 2 wheels and bikers wave back atleast as much as roadies
I think you misunderstood my comment.
Old 01-17-22, 06:40 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Do you think there is solidarity between cyclists and bikers? We both ride on two wheels and face being hit by cagers. Most people I've talked to seem to think there is no solidarity between us, but I kind of disagree with that. Two wheels good four weels bad.
No more or less than other people, whether they be bikers, motorists, other cyclists, etc. Some bikers give you plenty of space and a friendly wave. Some accelerate past you with a roar of unmuffled pipes. Some use you as an aiming point to apex turns. A mixed bag, like all people.
Old 01-17-22, 06:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
None of that hit the mark in my case

That is so many kinds of awesome that I don't know where to start.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-17-22, 08:55 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I am a motorcyclist not a "biker" . People come in all sorts no matter what they ride and although some gravitate towards a particular style or look there are plenty of jerks to go around. Not sure I see a big solidarity between mc's and bike riders tho. Me on my 1098 at Deals Gap. I sold this bike for something just as insane and useless but more comfortable LoL.

Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 01-17-22, 11:21 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
When I feel the need to rest my Single Speed(s) I fire up the Vrod....

Likes For Speedway2:
Old 01-17-22, 03:51 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Frankly, not much. A good portion of motocyclists around here, especially younger ones, are speeding by a fair margin. While I don't particularly care in my car where if they suicide on me, I'll be fine, on a bike getting hit by one would be just as bad as getting hit by a car.

Scooters I'm really cool with, though, people buy them as transport and ride them that way.
​​​​​
Old 01-17-22, 09:31 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
IMO, none whatsoever (unless on the outside chance that they too are a cyclist).

Dan
There’s probably a bunch of us who live in both worlds..

Likes For gorillimo:
Old 01-17-22, 09:41 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Do you wave at them?

Old 01-17-22, 11:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Their are plenty of cyclists that don’t have solidarity with other cyclists. People tend to be tribal but even in those tribes there are the non-conformists.

Old 01-18-22, 08:12 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I throw a peace-sign-biker-wave every once in a while and almost always get one back.
Old 01-18-22, 09:25 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Do you think there is solidarity between cyclists and bikers.
There's not even solidarity among cyclists...or so it seems sometimes.

Last edited by BobbyG; 01-18-22 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-18-22, 09:27 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
There's not even solidarity among cyclists.
The enemy of one's enemy is always a friend
Old 01-18-22, 09:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

Reminded me of this:

Old 01-18-22, 12:15 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I don’t particularly have anything against bikers/motorcyclists. I just don’t think there’s any (or much) solidarity between them and us (bicyclists).

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-18-22, 03:04 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Many/most of my cycling buddies also ride motocross, supermoto, and/or dual-sport motorcycles. There doesn't seem to be any particular kinship nor animosity towards those who do or don't, but we all share a common dislike of Harley culture.
Old 01-18-22, 05:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Do you wave at them?

yeah of course, I wave at all 2 wheelers and joggers
Old 01-18-22, 06:10 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Many/most of my cycling buddies also ride motocross, supermoto, and/or dual-sport motorcycles. There doesn't seem to be any particular kinship nor animosity towards those who do or don't, but we all share a common dislike of Harley culture.
I see the Harley culture dying out and being replaced by the crotch rocket morons. We lose 2 to 3 each each year do to their high speed riding and wheelies popping on busy streets. I own four MCs, if it matters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.