Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fixed Gear Freestyle
Reload this Page >

Best upgrades for a Cinelli Tipo Pista?

Notices
Fixed Gear Freestyle Trickbikes and Freestylers, here's your home! Here, you can discuss the ins and outs of building and riding these bikes.

Old 10-18-20, 10:44 PM
Pabstblueridden

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Whats up yall new to the forum here, ight let me get started. Ive recently acquired a used cinelli tipo pista pretty cheap and its a really sick ride and i was wondering what would be the best component upgrades that i could do to it for a mix of fgfs and maybe some alleycat racing? The frames pretty light and solid so it might have potential of becoming something really great. Id probably start by replacing the crankset and heard that omniums are the standard but it seems there isnt enough clearance for my bike. Also what wheelset would you guys recommend among other things? Thanks.
Old 12-02-20, 01:18 PM
The Jakyl

Bikes: KhVZ Sport Pursuit, Cervelo S5, Vitus 979, Mike Kowal Track, ?Lo Pro TT, Ryan Taylor Industry BMX, On One Inbred, Bianchi EV4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I roll with Campagnolo Record Pista cranks and Gipiemme Street Pista wheels, good and smooth. H Plus Son rims are hugely popular over here in the UK laced up to quality hubs. Wheels are probably always the best upgrade as its rotating mass so saves weight big time. Cinelli Tipo is a rad frame.
Old 12-11-20, 02:11 PM
Pabstblueridden

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Jakyl
I roll with Campagnolo Record Pista cranks and Gipiemme Street Pista wheels, good and smooth. H Plus Son rims are hugely popular over here in the UK laced up to quality hubs. Wheels are probably always the best upgrade as its rotating mass so saves weight big time. Cinelli Tipo is a rad frame.
Word thanks cuz
Old 12-12-20, 11:03 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Pabstblueridden
Whats up yall new to the forum here, ight let me get started. Ive recently acquired a used cinelli tipo pista pretty cheap and its a really sick ride and i was wondering what would be the best component upgrades that i could do to it for a mix of fgfs and maybe some alleycat racing? The frames pretty light and solid so it might have potential of becoming something really great. Id probably start by replacing the crankset and heard that omniums are the standard but it seems there isnt enough clearance for my bike. Also what wheelset would you guys recommend among other things? Thanks.
For what it's worth SRAM discontinued the Omniums. And you are right about clearance issues with some frames.
Old 04-30-21, 01:07 PM
Dubinthedam

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'd say loose the drop bars. What nobody tells you is dropbars aren't very comfortable without brake handles to hold, they're fine if you ride in the dropped position most of the time. Cinelli do some wicked bullhorns, problem solved.
Old 04-30-21, 02:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubinthedam
I'd say loose the drop bars. What nobody tells you is dropbars aren't very comfortable without brake handles to hold, they're fine if you ride in the dropped position most of the time. Cinelli do some wicked bullhorns, problem solved.
Or buy some Tektro levers, keep all the advantages of drop bars, have brakes you can access fast from anywhere and have the great handholds for climbing (in those big fix gear ratios).

Ben (who's been riding that setup for 45 years and still loves it)
Old 06-07-21, 06:33 PM
2021BNero

Bikes: Bianchi Nero 57cm (2021 model)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campy' Record Pista is it.
Old 02-28-22, 11:20 AM
geomiko

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 48/17 | Aventon Cordoba 48/15 | Cramerotti TVT Ultra 48/13 | 2016 State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 40 Posts
Omiums are great if you can find them, but like others have said, they've been discontinued. With this supply and demand, I've seen people jack the sale price way up to the point it's worth considering other options. I've had good experience with All City track cranks. Pretty heavy, but stiff and affordable.