Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Funny what you find when you clean up… pedal question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-13-22, 06:44 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts

I was cleaning up the garage at my folk’s place when I came across this box buried in a drawer: I remember buying these back in the early 70s…

to my surprise though, instead of Mikashima Uniques I found a pair of what appear to be Sheffield Pista quill pedals

can any experts here verify they are indeed Sheffield? I can’t imagine my 14 year old self putting the wrong dust caps on some other pedals…. And can anyone confirm how many bearings on each side? When I opened them up there were 24 bearings in one pedal and 25 in the other…my 14 year old self could easily have “misplaced” a bearing. They assemble perfectly and are smooth spinning but I wonder why the difference.
Likes For markk900:
Old 03-13-22, 08:37 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,440 Times in 1,127 Posts
@juvela and @iab have been very helpful to me with information about Sheffield pedals.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 04-20-22, 08:08 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked 3,283 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

rare to find a question post from markk990

usually his posts are supremely helpful and accurate in answering the questions of others

he has on several occasions put right some of the too frequent errors i make in me own messages
excellent that they are not permitted to stand misinforming future readers

---

on to the pedals -

yes to Sheffield as manufactured by the Noli-Cattaneo firm

they appear to be the model 613

here are some images courtesy of VB

readers will be quick to note that Mark's pedals exhibit a steel barrel whilst the images above illustrate a set with an alloy barrel

the model 613 was produced with both a steel and with an alloy barrel and in both road and track models

there are production variations in Sheffield pedals consistent with their long production life

here is the track edition seen with a steel barrel; images courtesy of VB

note that the dustcovers on Marks's set carry the Sheffield name whilst those on the two sets shown above are without marking; one of the variations through time

bearings -

do not recall a specific number of bearings on the pedals from this maker

regularly travel back and forth between two residences and am currently at the one without bicycle parts so cannot check at the moment

caveat - iab far more knowledgeable on this so if any of his information differs always go with his observations.

-----