Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Pedal Forward Opinions

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Pedal Forward Opinions

Old 01-29-22, 12:30 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
OK everyone, let's stick to the topic at hand. Thanks

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 01-29-22, 03:44 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
OK everyone, let's stick to the topic at hand. Thanks
My apologies if I came off like a dick. I’ll leave it there and remain in topic.
Likes For JehD:
Old 01-30-22, 10:30 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
So back on topic. Personally I'm a fan of the Pedal forward design. Though not for the reason Electa gives. I find most standard cruisers to have a cramped cockpit and I like a little more of a relaxed space.

Electras big thing is the 'flat foot", but I find just like most bikes if you set the seat to get proper leg extension (I'm average height with average legs) then when Im sitting on the seat my foot is anything but flat (tip toes)/ To me though I set my bike up to ride not be stopped. I have arthritis and did have to sell my standard cruiser (Electra Cruiser 1) because I needed a few gears and I couldnt brake with my knees. I had a Moto 3i in the past and thought the 3 speed IGH just needed more gears. (5-7) and ended up with a Electra 7D. I did change the hub IIRC 14-34 to a 11-34 and have been pretty happy as it has a superlow 1-2 and then a tall 6-7.

Since the bike is pretty upright I changed the seat from the elastomer cushions (terrible for a heavier guy) to a Brooks B33 and along with some new grips and pedals its like riding a lazy boy.

My .02 I would recommend a Steel Electra to anyone, The few pounds save on the aluminum and the slightly better seat don't see to be worth the cost of admission.
Likes For JehD:
Old 02-16-22, 09:56 PM
Lastmohecken

Bikes: CB4 COGBURN FAT TIRE MOUNTAIN BIKE, with severe modifications

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I like the feet forward position, better then stock position. I have posted this before, but here's what I have done to a fat tire bike. I have tweaked it a little since this was taken. I ended up moving the seat slightly forward from where it is located in this picture, and I also lowered the handle bars a little by rolling the intermediate riser bracket out and down a little, this put the bars a little lower and farther forward. However, being able to flat foot it, was only a secondary goal, and I really can't flat foot it even now, but my main goal was just to get more comfortable, and have a more upright riding position.

Last edited by Lastmohecken; 02-16-22 at 10:04 PM.
Likes For Lastmohecken:
Old 02-18-22, 08:05 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by xrayzebra
Pedal forward cons:
- you are dead weight in the saddle, you cannot use your legs to take a little weight off your butt when hitting bumps
- very awkward to stand up and sit back down if you want to pump it hard
- less powerful down stroke
Sorry for quoting a zombie post but here's my take on the matter

- Because you put more weight on the saddle on a pedal forward, you'll need wider saddle for that. A wide, very flat top saddle would be best. A proper seatpost suspension like thudbuster would be a huge bonus.
- Standing up is done differently on a pedal forward, either you do it standing straight up, still quite powerful except it's not aero. Wouldn't matter in a steep climb though. You can also lean forward almost slumped over the handlebar. That's more aero but takes practice to do it comfortably and safely. A lot of people are actually comfortable pedal standing straight up.
- Pedal forward is only less powerful compared to upright if you're not used to the position, having any discomfort, incorrect posture for pedal forward riding, and the knee extension is insufficient. Beyond that, it's all in the head. Get the same hip and knee extension angle same as you do in an upright road bike and you should theoretically make the same power, if not, your mind is just getting in the way.

Take notice of your lower back angle when riding a pedal forward. It should be vertical. If you're trying to make your back like you do on an upright road bike, then you will make less power at the pedals and even experience discomfort. If you still want some bit of aero position on a pedal forward, then make smooth arch on your back as riding posture so the lower back still ends up vertical.....But note, you're already more aero in pedal forward than sitting fully upright in an upright bike because your seat is lower against the ground.

I have an upright road bike but was suitably impressed when I borrowed a friend's pedal forward bike for few weeks. It does live up to its advertised purpose as being more comfortable without any sacrifice in power after you have adapted to the riding position. You actually get some of the benefits from both upright and recumbent bikes and if you hate recumbents, it's a very good alternative. I'd buy one if I found a touring setup that is affordable enough.

Last edited by qwaalodge; 02-18-22 at 08:08 PM.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 02-18-22, 08:27 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Sorry for quoting a zombie post but here's my take on the matter

Hey,man! Who you calling a zombie!?

No, seriously all good points. All bikes are good bikes as far as I'm concerned. With the upright posture and more difficult shifting of weight to the pedals as you hit a bump, I'd want that thudbuster or other shock absorbing post.
Old 02-18-22, 08:58 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts

No, seriously all good points. All bikes are good bikes as far as I'm concerned. With the upright posture and more difficult shifting of weight to the pedals as you hit a bump, I'd want that thudbuster or other shock absorbing post.
Lol! It would actually help a lot to lean and move forward on the seat first before you stand on the pedals on a pedal forward. If you didn't lean and move forward against the seat first, it will take a lot more effort with the legs and hands to stand on the pedals with pedal forward.

Seat suspensions are great. Go for ones with at least double links and equipped with travel limit, preload, damper etc like one below by Suntour SP17 NX.
Old 03-06-22, 08:44 PM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts

I have a Thudbuster on my Townie 9d and really like it as it does a great job of smoothing out the ride if you hit some rougher areas.
Likes For wyd:
Old 03-13-22, 09:59 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Kinekt seatpost on my RAD City model. What a wonderful suspension seatpost. I have tried about four other brands over the years but this one is by far the best. As quaalodge mentioned in his post the double links with springs make this post. I have it set with very little preload and it responds to every bump no matter how small. It rides like a Cadillac even on gravel roads.
Old 05-26-22, 02:24 PM
michelsal

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found that feeling on the sixthreezero EVRYjourney. but feel 'part of' on the townie Go