Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton temptation

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton temptation

Old 04-11-22, 08:50 PM
monsterfather

Bikes: Folding Change; road bike LIV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Brompton temptation

Just interesting to know anyone here is seduced by the special features of a Brompton and would like to get one for riding? To me I cannot persuade myself to buy one because I need a folding, light weight, and speedy bike and I have got one already just at a fraction of monies to buy a Brompton. But when I keep looking at the Brompton forum, owners seem very enjoying riding such a bike.
Last weekend I went to visit a local bike shop selling Brompton and saw a girl tried a Brompton inside the shop and Her boyfriend bought it for her without a second thought. Lovely. I also wanted to buy one for my wife but am afraid she still cannot enjoying cycling …
Old 04-11-22, 09:23 PM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Well, it depends. If what you need is just a fast-and-easy-folding commuting bike to take you from home to subway station, then a Brompton will do that perfectly.But in your case, weight and speed mean more, so it is obviously not very attractive to you.
Some say, if you are a folding bike enthusiast, sooner or later, the Brompton is the way which must be passed, no matter it ends up with you hate it or love it.
Likes For GTA:
Old 04-12-22, 07:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Ah, you're in Hong Kong. Not sure exactly what you might find in your local bike shops in the way of an Andrew Ritchie-design trifolder. As an alternative to an 'imported from London' bike, look for an Asian-manufactured 3sixty, Aceoffix, Afluen, Aleoca, Alps, B-Bike, Backer Gravity, Billiton, Camp, Chedech, Cigna, Cirus, Dahon Curl, Easyti, Element Pikes, Flamingo, Fova, Groo, Harry Quinn, Jcat, Kreuz, La Bici, Litepro, Mint, MIT, Mobot, Movebike, Neo, Pico, Pikes, Pytitans, Royale, Sanye, Sunirmoon, United, Viking or Week Eight tri-fold bike.
Likes For tcs:
Old 04-12-22, 08:37 PM
GTA

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Ah, you're in Hong Kong. Not sure exactly what you might find in your local bike shops in the way of an Andrew Ritchie-design trifolder. As an alternative to an 'imported from London' bike, look for an Asian-manufactured 3sixty, Aceoffix, Afluen, Aleoca, Alps, B-Bike, Backer Gravity, Billiton, Camp, Chedech, Cigna, Cirus, Dahon Curl, Easyti, Element Pikes, Flamingo, Fova, Groo, Harry Quinn, Jcat, Kreuz, La Bici, Litepro, Mint, MIT, Mobot, Movebike, Neo, Pico, Pikes, Pytitans, Royale, Sanye, Sunirmoon, United, Viking or Week Eight tri-fold bike.
Damn, you have an Asian folding bike alphabet!!!
Old 04-12-22, 09:11 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Brompton, Moulton and Bike Friday were all available for purchase in Beijing in a folding bike shop right across the street from my lodging. I doubt that the situation is any more challenging in Hong Kong. Now, all those other brands might involve quite some poking around.
Old 04-12-22, 10:55 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterfather
Just interesting to know anyone here is seduced by the special features of a Brompton and would like to get one for riding? To me I cannot persuade myself to buy one because I need a folding, light weight, and speedy bike and I have got one already just at a fraction of monies to buy a Brompton. But when I keep looking at the Brompton forum, owners seem very enjoying riding such a bike.
Last weekend I went to visit a local bike shop selling Brompton and saw a girl tried a Brompton inside the shop and Her boyfriend bought it for her without a second thought. Lovely. I also wanted to buy one for my wife but am afraid she still cannot enjoying cycling …

We all know its an itch and the bike will end up being used by you, so just buy it already
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 04-13-22, 12:18 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
I say GO FOR IT!!! You'll never be satisfied until you get that dream ride in the stable.
Old 04-13-22, 06:17 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Not trying to derail the thread, but do you have any info on Camp? I am really interested in a Camp Victor 9 right now, but it seems to be an Asian only thing? I find a bit of info from Malaysia and Singapore, but nothing on the 2021-2022 model (link is in Korean with some English: https://savakorea.com/shop/item.php?it_id=1624956726) and the US site seems to be for the same company, but (maybe?) all of the bikes on the US site are different to those in Korea? I actually saw what I think was a Victor 10 in the wild this morning on my commute and it certainly wasn't lacking in performance, with a very nice sounding rear hub.

There is also a Brompton connection there, in that Camp folders seem to have the Brompton style carrying block.

Bromptons are hugely popular with the hipper, younger crowd in Korea and I would be interested if it was going to be my only bike, but they're basically out of my budget for a secondary bike for travel and wet weather train-bike commutes.
Old 04-13-22, 06:40 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
I have one for riding on the beach, it's perfect for that purpose. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the gearing for serious climbing, and I have to push it up the steeper ascents. I have a Birdy with an MTB cassette on the back, and it climbs the steeps wonderfully. It's not as convenient as the Brompton for folding and packing, but it's nearly as light and fast as a decent road bike. The Brompton is a great town bike.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-13-22, 06:49 PM
monsterfather

Bikes: Folding Change; road bike LIV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Anyone bought a brompton directly from https://www.thebikingbox.com ? T-line is not available in hong kong, so if i have the cash and want the lightest model of Brompton, i would have to buy it from overseas …
Old 04-14-22, 03:44 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Strange, this shop seems to be able to sell the T-line while there are available only in limited numbers and sold out for the moment ?