Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

(Dahon) 1st folding bike - advise?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-21-22, 04:57 AM
stelpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello!
I want to buy my fist folding bike and hoped some of you could help me with some questions.

Use: commuting
Me: small female (1.58cm, 50kg)
Budget: < 900€
Where: Austria (middle of Europe)

For all fans of Brompton: Yes I would love to own one, but I just don't have the money.
That's why I would go for a Dahon. Why not Zizzo, Fhnon or all of these possibilities: they are not available around here, so they are no option for me. and I don't want the Decathlon because it is heavy (and it doesn't stay folded, as I read.... the magnet is just not good)

I would love to find a bike that is light and small, with some gears (more than 3 would be nice), for riding to the train, have it on the train, and then riding to the working place. It doesn't need to be for big mountains or gravel but the surroundings have some small hills why I want more gears.

So I looked into some of the dahon models which is quite difficult because one never knows if the models really are for the European market or not. But I've already read that many people don't get this way of Dahon dealing with his customers esp. in Europe...

So here are my concerns:
with horizontal folding bikes like the Mariner you have to set the handlebar at a certain hight and tilt it in order to fold it in between the two wheels... this seems to be a lot of "unnecessary" fumbling around to fold it before entering the train and then have to adjust it again as you get off.... or is this just something you get used to?

Then there are vertical folders like the Qix where you cannot adjust the handlebar at all which seems to be not usefull!

the Eezz has an interesting folding style and is lightweight and small but the pedals don't fold which I think is uncomfortable - can you switch to other pedals?
I also looked into the Curl - where I find it very difficult to find out which version actually is sold. when I look into folding videos there are Curls that have folding pedls, others don't, there are Curls where the saddle folds down, whereas with other curls the saddle just goes completely down and further others the saddle has to be removed (!!) to be stuck into a seperate holding device. very inconvenient!

Yesterday I tried to lay eyes on a Dahon Bike in reality not only on the internet. But unfortunately that was impossible!
I went to the second biggest town to check out the stores which - officially - should sell Dahon bikes. But one store only had 4 Tern link, the other had 1 Tern link and about 5 Bromptons, the other had 2 Tern (link and verge). that't it...

What would be your suggestions?
Thank's a lot in advance!
Old 04-21-22, 07:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I bought my first folder, an old Dahon Boardwalk last year. At first I marked the seat post and handle bars with a marker to "remember" the height.

I didn't want to scratch lines in the seatpost until I was sure where I wanted the seat height. But then I realized that if I straddled the bike and stood right behind the seat my preferred height brought the seat just below my navel. Your preference may vary, but I have a quick way to make sure the seat is at the right height after lowering it for folding.

In my case, the handle bars were easy as well. I changed the straight handle bar for a "bull horn" bar to give be a more road bike like experience. The bars were too high, but wouldn't lower any further, so I had the bike shop cut the stem to my preferred height. So actually I have to raise these bars to fit the fold, and then when unfolding I just let them lower to their"new" level which is the physical lowest they can go.

Keeping the bars aligned with the wheel is easy, as there is a detente you can feel in the stem.

And concerning the angle or pitch of the bull horn bars, it just got easier after a few weeks to find the right angle on the first try.

I guess I got lucky, but this all works for me.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 04-21-22, 06:45 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
And concerning the angle or pitch of the bull horn bars, it just got easier after a few weeks to find the right angle on the first try.
I mounted an INCLINOMETER on the handlebar of my Tern. The bar position is infinitely variable, which can be really irritating since I have a rear-view mirror on the bar, and I like the grips to be at a comfortable angle. With the inclinometer set to "level" with the bars in the right rotational position and the bike on a level surface, the system is calibrated. Then all I have to do when I unfold the bike is center the bubble, and I'm good to go. Obviously the bike needs to be on a reasonably level surface when this is done. The bars can then be set high (for comfort) or low (for headwinds), and the angle is always right.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-21-22, 06:49 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

I like your air horn... an indispensable accessory for city riding.

EDIT: Here is my horn, conveniently located where my left thumb can reach it. Also seen is the inclinometer (red).

Front view of the horn

Rider's view of the horn, inclinometer and mirror.

Last edited by sweeks; 04-21-22 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-21-22, 07:25 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

sweeks Nice setup. AirZound FTW!
Old 04-21-22, 08:02 PM
sweeks

sweeks Nice setup. AirZound FTW!
Yes, it can make drivers sit up and pay attention!
Technically, mine is a "BLAST", but I'm pretty sure it's a re-badged AirZound.
I see a lot of complaints about how inconvenient it is to reach when it's needed. You certainly don't want to have to take a hand off the bars to hit the horn button, but if you have a little "real estate" on the bar near one of the grips, these complaints become meaningless.
Old 04-21-22, 11:47 PM
stelpa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought my first folder, an old Dahon Boardwalk last year.

Do you commute with it and therefore fold it a lot?
the fumbling with the handlebar for folding it doesn't bother you?
Old 04-22-22, 05:04 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by stelpa
On a typical work day my bike gets folded and unfolded twice.
It's not "fumbling" when you have it down to a science!
It takes less than a minute in either direction.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-22-22, 05:13 AM
sweeks

Hello!
I want to buy my fist folding bike and hoped some of you could help me with some questions.
Don't fold it with your fist!

One thing you should plan for is being able to adjust the various latches as needed. Folding bikes (based on my experience with Dahons and Terns) require a bit of "fiddling" from time to time. Riding the bike with a loose frame latch can damage the frame. This should not be a problem or a deterrent for a rider of any size or gender.

Last edited by sweeks; 04-22-22 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-22-22, 06:57 AM
BobbyG

No, I don't. I commuted for 28 years until 2020 and bought this bike in 2021. But even then I had indoor parking spaces at work (and at home) so I would not have needed to fold it.

I do ride it to the store (sometimes with a basket on the back). If it is a sketchier part of town I will fold it to keep someone from cutting the lock and riding off.

When I first bought this bike I added stickers to the handlebars and seat post etc to help facilitate faster setup and that seemed to work fine, although now I don't really need them.

I had three bikes I rotated commuting on and each is a little different, so perhaps I tolerate slight changes in position on the folder.

If I still commuted, and had to fold/unfold the bike constantly, I would probably find one where the bars and seat post return to the same length and position. I see that some do offer that feature by design.

As someone who kitted up and changed into office clothes after riding in all weather including wind, snow, rain, cold and after dark, my bike commuting was never about convenience...for me it was about health and fitness.
Old 04-22-22, 07:21 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I would love to find a bike that is light and small, with some gears (more than 3 would be nice), for riding to the train, have it on the train, and then riding to the working place. It doesn't need to be for big mountains or gravel but the surroundings have some small hills why I want more gears
I'm sorry you haven't been able to see and ride a Dahon K3 to find out if the gearing range would be okay, because otherwise it's very light, folds very small and in your price range. Great bike for multimodal commuting.

with horizontal folding bikes like the Mariner you have to set the handlebar at a certain hight and tilt it in order to fold it in between the two wheels... this seems to be a lot of "unnecessary" fumbling around to fold it before entering the train and then have to adjust it again as you get off.... or is this just something you get used to?
When I showed my wife how to fold her new Dahon, her eyes crossed and she whimpered. A week later she was folding it like a boss.

the Eezz has an interesting folding style and is lightweight and small but the pedals don't fold which I think is uncomfortable - can you switch to other pedals?
Every EEZZ I've seen has easily removable pedals that snap into a holder when the bike is folded. This is not uncommon with better folding bicycles. Many posters here have upgraded from folding pedals to removable pedals. The latest top-of-the-line Brompton titanium and carbon fiber €€€€€€ model has (one) removable pedal instead of a folding pedal.

I also looked into the Curl -
Great bike, but it's going to be out of your stated price range.

Curl...further others the saddle has to be removed (!!) to be stuck into a seperate holding device.
If folding no smaller than a Brompton is okay, you don't need to pull the Curl's saddle. If you want an even smaller fold, pulling the saddle out and clipping it in the holder is no big deal.

Yesterday I tried to lay eyes on a Dahon Bike in reality not only on the internet. But unfortunately that was impossible!
I went to the second biggest town to check out the stores which - officially - should sell Dahon bikes. But one store only had 4 Tern link, the other had 1 Tern link and about 5 Bromptons, the other had 2 Tern (link and verge). that't it...

What would be your suggestions?
If you've never owned a folding bike, seeing one and riding it and folding it in the shop before you buy is a good idea.

Last edited by tcs; 04-22-22 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 10:35 AM
stelpa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the answers!

there are not many stores selling folding bikes so it is difficult to try one out - esp. Dahon are rarely seen in any shop.
Though it is out of my price range I tried a Brompton today Something to save money for (which I can't... but... maybe later...)

As for the folding pedals vs removeable: yes I heard that it should be more stable with removable pedals - but I don't really think the folding pedals are more convenient and since I'm not heavy, I don't wear them out that easily. So do you think one could switch (since it is possible to switch to removable it should be possible the other way round...?)

The K3 is not available these days... maybe it will be soon. but it comes without mudguards. Don't know if it's difficult to find some fitting this bike...
I also would like to see the qix i3 - which is on the European site of Dahon.. But I haven't found it anywhere.

As you can see I'm not a pro. and don't even know what can be changed or can't.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-22-22, 10:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Though it is out of my price range I tried a Brompton today Something to save money for (which I can't... but... maybe later...)

As for the folding pedals vs removeable: yes I heard that it should be more stable with removable pedals - but I don't really think the folding pedals are more convenient and since I'm not heavy, I don't wear them out that easily. So do you think one could switch (since it is possible to switch to removable it should be possible the other way round...?)
All the folding bikes I'm familiar with use standard threaded cranks. If they have removable pedals, there is a removable pedal adapter screwed into the standard crank threading, so yes, you can swap back to folding pedals.

example folding:

example removable:

Old 04-22-22, 11:03 AM
stelpa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tcs

All the folding bikes I'm familiar with use standard threaded cranks. If they have removable pedals, there is a removable pedal adapter screwed into the standard crank threading, so yes, you can swap back to folding pedals.
thanks! that Information helps a lot!
Old 04-22-22, 11:05 AM
tcs
Palmer

The (Dahon) K3 is not available these days... I also would like to see the qix i3 - which is on the European site of Dahon.. But I haven't found it anywhere.
I see pictures of bike shops in Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand filled with the latest Dahon Models. Dahon allegedly has over 150 Dahon-exclusive shops in China will all the models, accessories, wearables and Dahon-lifestyle stuff.

Despite Dahon starting in the USA and being a US-registered company, they have never over their 40 years worked on building a stocking dealer network here or, since the 1980s, tried very hard to actually sell their bikes.

I have abounding ignorance about the actual state of Dahon's distribution in the EU. I know there's a Dahon dealer in Poland whose efforts the parent company is quite proud of

and there's another dealer in Portugal who works his derriere off to sell the bikes, but I get the impression otherwise the situation is a lot like the USA. Dahon has announced "a new distributor" every few years (and the Dahon EU website is once again trying to sign up distributors) but availability doesn't seem to improve. I could be wrong.
Old 04-22-22, 11:24 AM
tcs
Palmer

Small, 16" wheel folder market: Dahon Qix D3 - such a cool bike...on paper! I've never seen a real one since Dahon doesn't import them into the USA.

Perhaps that's because the Qix D3 would compete with the established and much-loved Curve D3. Oh, wait! Dahon quit importing the Curve D3 into the USA several years ago.

Maybe that was because the Curve D3 was pirating sales of Curl i4s. Except...the Curl is in a completely different price class! It doesn't matter, I suppose - Dahon quit importing Curls to the USA last year.
Old 04-22-22, 12:27 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Dahon allegedly has over 150 Dahon-exclusive shops in China will all the models, accessories, wearables and Dahon-lifestyle stuff.
I went to a multitude addresses listed on the Dahon site for dealers in China in the Shanghai area few years ago and only 1 out 5 or 6 was actually there and this with a very meager Dahon stock. It could be attributed to the rapid turnaround of businesses in China and even construction, as a couple of visited blocks were simply erased to make room for new buildings. In any case, most of those addresses were disconnected from any contemporary businesses.

Originally Posted by tcs
I have abounding ignorance about the actual state of Dahon's distribution in the EU. I know there's a Dahon dealer in Poland whose efforts the parent company is quite proud of

I actually had my Dahon fixed in Poland at the pictured dealership. That was a very pleasant experience. They were knowledgeable, figuring out solutions on the fly. They did excellent work. Overall, it was a type of place that you want to back to over and over. Even though it is not displayed on the outside, they also carried Terns and Stravas.
Old 04-22-22, 12:44 PM
stelpa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh yes! I searched for the curve d3... not available...

I visited the shop that should sell Dahon Bikes: had none...

I'm currently thinking about a used Vitesse... though I am still not sure if it's worth the risk (since I have no clue about bikes truly).... put the rest of the saved money into a special "savings for a Brompton" box and hoping for Deflation and the ECB to raise the interest rates
Old 04-25-22, 12:05 AM
FrankLucis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't Dahon a bit too pricy for the same build? I think tern has a better deal than Dahon.
Old 04-25-22, 12:07 AM
FrankLucis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming from Asia, I owned Qix D3 a couple of years ago. Absolutely amazing!
Old 04-25-22, 04:10 AM
stelpa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrankLucis
Isn't Dahon a bit too pricy for the same build? I think tern has a better deal than Dahon.
I cannot say if tern is better or worse or the same...
but dahon for sure has models that are cheap to choose from than tern - here at least...
Old 04-25-22, 07:06 AM
FrankLucis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot say if tern is better or worse or the same...
but dahon for sure has models that are cheap to choose from than tern - here at least...
I guess it depends on where you are. If you're in asia then the price is very reasonable. The price in US is nearly double the price in Asia tho
Old 04-25-22, 07:44 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by FrankLucis
I see that claim every now and then. It doesn't hold here in Parts Unknown, but it might in other markets. I would expect, though, for Dahon's costs-to-market to be higher, since they actually engineer and test

their designs while other companies just wait until a new Dahon model becomes successful and then build knockoffs. Of course, there can be a downside of trying to copy another company's designs without really understanding the engineering inside them.

Old 04-25-22, 10:57 AM
stelpa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tcs
I see that claim every now and then. It doesn't hold here in Parts Unknown, but it might in other markets. I would expect, though, for Dahon's costs-to-market to be higher, since they actually engineer and tes

their designs while other companies just wait until a new Dahon model becomes successful and then build knockoffs. Of course, there can be a downside of trying to copy another company's designs without really understanding the engineering inside them.
Well I wouldn't say tern doesn't understand the engineering. The founder is David Hon's son.
I think breaking might happen with any bike... even a Brompton. But yeah, I've heard of terns breaking frames.
but also of Dahons breaking hinges resulting in bad accidents...
Old 04-25-22, 05:23 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Well I wouldn't say tern doesn't understand the engineering. The founder is David Hon's son.
I think breaking might happen with any bike... even a Brompton. But yeah, I've heard of terns breaking frames.
but also of Dahons breaking hinges resulting in bad accidents...
Funny, but we don't seem to have anywhere NEAR as many, if any, claims of dahon frames breaking WITHOUT dahon attempting to rectify the situation. Now tern, on the other hand, has attempted to silence people MULTIPLE times when a frame breakage occurs. It's the complete opposite of DAHON. I own a tern bike, and I own 4 dahon bikes,...can you guess which brand I trust more?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.