Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If your weight doesn't activate the green light, do you still go?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

If your weight doesn't activate the green light, do you still go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-22, 01:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
I have a simple answer to this question that I'm surprised hasn't been posted yet:

If a traffic signal is malfunctioning (detector not properly detecting vehicles), treat it like a 4-way stop and proceed with caution.

Shouldn't that be "treat it like a 2-way stop"? The problem is that the perpendicular traffic isn't treating it as a 4-way stop.

Failsafe mode is a flashing red light in all directions, which makes treating it like a 4-way stop more straightforward (both in terms of legality and safety).
Old 03-13-22, 01:17 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Shouldn't that be "treat it like a 2-way stop"? The problem is that the perpendicular traffic isn't treating it as a 4-way stop.

Failsafe mode is a flashing red light in all directions, which makes treating it like a 4-way stop more straightforward (both in terms of legality and safety).
I wrote "4-way" to be maximally inclusive of all possibilities - the point is to come to a stop, observe what other traffic coming up to the intersection is doing, and then go when it's safe to do so. Obviously if there's cross traffic that has a green light then it's not safe to run the red...
Old 03-13-22, 01:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I understood your intent, and wasn't trying to be difficult.

Let me re-phrase my worry as a worst-case scenario.

Someone encounters this problem at a 4-way junction with a traffic signal. The signal is unresponsive to the presence of the rider, and just to make it simple, there are no "beg buttons."

The rider stops, waits, looks for oncoming traffic, sees that it is safe, and proceeds. Somehow, a car that has the direction of the green light arrives at the intersection, collides with our cyclist, and kills the cyclist crossing against the light.

If it was a 4-way stop, or a signal on failsafe, the family of the dead cyclist might recover something in an insurance settlement, but in this case, legally, the auto driver did nothing wrong, and the cyclist broke the law by going through a red light.

I understand that this is extreme, and unlikely, but it is just pointing out that the cyclist is assuming all risk, liability and forfeiting any legal protection by treating it like a 4-way stop. (Treating it as a 2-way stop isn't any better, but it does emphasize that there should be no expectation that the perpendicular traffic has any constraints.)

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 03-13-22 at 01:40 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-14-22, 01:00 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I understood your intent, and wasn't trying to be difficult.

Let me re-phrase my worry as a worst-case scenario.

Someone encounters this problem at a 4-way junction with a traffic signal. The signal is unresponsive to the presence of the rider, and just to make it simple, there are no "beg buttons."

The rider stops, waits, looks for oncoming traffic, sees that it is safe, and proceeds. Somehow, a car that has the direction of the green light arrives at the intersection, collides with our cyclist, and kills the cyclist crossing against the light.

If it was a 4-way stop, or a signal on failsafe, the family of the dead cyclist might recover something in an insurance settlement, but in this case, legally, the auto driver did nothing wrong, and the cyclist broke the law by going through a red light.

I understand that this is extreme, and unlikely, but it is just pointing out that the cyclist is assuming all risk, liability and forfeiting any legal protection by treating it like a 4-way stop. (Treating it as a 2-way stop isn't any better, but it does emphasize that there should be no expectation that the perpendicular traffic has any constraints.)
If I was that concerned about it I would probably commute only by bus or light rail. Certainly not by bicycle ever again. We don't always have to be jackpots for our next of kin if our time comes. As I read this, not just cyclists, but pedestrians as well are advised not to ever cross intersections where there is cross traffic and no 'beg button'. My life is way too hard as it is for me to spend a single minute imagining worst case scenarios for vital processes like bike commuting and shopping. $8/gal. gasoline can't get here soon enough to make some of us fully embrace the freedom of the bicycle without apology.
Old 03-15-22, 07:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
I wrote "4-way" to be maximally inclusive of all possibilities - the point is to come to a stop, observe what other traffic coming up to the intersection is doing, and then go when it's safe to do so. Obviously if there's cross traffic that has a green light then it's not safe to run the red...
Polaris OBark is correct. The language of the Illinois Law is clear that the stop is to be treated as a 2-way, cross traffic stop.

shall have the right to proceed, after yielding the right of way to oncoming traffic facing a green signal…
If the light is malfunctioning in all directions…power outage, broken control mechanism, damaged posts, etc…the light is treated as a 4-way stopsign.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-19-22, 10:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
In my state (PA), the rule is as follows:
  • A bicycle or motor vehicle may, with good caution, treat an intersection with an inoperable or malfunctioning traffic signal as a stop condition when red or as a caution condition when green or yellow.
    • Often signals with embedded detectors will not respond to the bike awaiting a green light, and this is treated as “inoperable” under law.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-19-22, 11:15 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
See the "Note" on page 9 here: Rules of the Road.

EDIT: It doesn't say in the RotR, but IIRC the law does not apply in municipalities with a population greater than 2 millions. Why the population should make a difference is not clear to me... unless the lawmakers specifically wanted to exclude Chicago!
Yes, this is exactly why you would write the statute this way.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-19-22, 01:45 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yes, this is exactly why you would write the statute this way.
The next question would be "what's so special about Chicago?"
The answer probably contains "politics", because I don't see how there could be any *practical* difference between intersections in large vs small municipalities.
Old 03-19-22, 01:47 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by Koyote
In my state (PA), the rule is as follows:
  • A bicycle or motor vehicle may, with good caution, treat an intersection with an inoperable or malfunctioning traffic signal as a stop condition when red or as a caution condition when green or yellow.
I like this better than the Illinois law with its ridiculous "120 seconds" clause.
Old 03-20-22, 12:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I like this better than the Illinois law with its ridiculous "120 seconds" clause.
You are misinterpreting the Pennsylvania law. The Illinois law is more specific and clearer. From PennDOT

It's important to note, however, that this DOES NOT mean you can treat any red light as a stop sign — it must be malfunctioning. The specific law is silent on how long a motorist must be sitting at a red light before it's considered to be malfunctioning, but PennDOT and the Pennsylvania State Police encourage you to use common sense. The signal has to obviously be malfunctioning, either totally dark or frozen in the red mode (or go through several cycles without giving you a green light).
Many “cycles” on traffic lights can be up to 120 seconds. Waiting “several cycles” could mean you are at the light for much longer than 2 minutes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-20-22, 09:22 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
[[ Diversion warning ]]

When I ride, I have to go through a gate with a dipole detector loop. If I position my bike correctly, it opens every time. When I substitute my aluminum rims for carbon rims, I cannot get the gate to open, no matter how hard I try (until I press a manual over-ride button).

Does this mean that it is the aluminum in my rims that is causing the induction that is detected? I had always assumed it had to be ferromagnetic, but I guess this means that assumption must be incorrect.
You are correct. Aluminum is electrically conductive and will trigger the loops' electromagnetic field.
Old 03-21-22, 07:44 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are misinterpreting the Pennsylvania law.
Maybe so. I don't wait 120 seconds anyway. If there's no cross-traffic I'll just proceed. However, if there are cars waiting in my direction (or opposing), I will wait since the light will soon change and I don't want to irritate the drivers.
It would surprise me exceedingly if the police reacted to my trivial offense; there is literally zero enforcement of bicycle traffic laws around these parts (Chicago area) as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I see what you mean about the PA law. I can imagine a back-up of drivers who have concluded that the light is malfunctioning while the geezer (me) at the front of the line is still working it out!

Last edited by sweeks; 03-21-22 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-27-22, 07:36 AM
FredMau

Bikes: Blue Max Plateau EX, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Illinois has the same law, and the 2 minute "required" wait is just as irritating. I usually just "think" about waiting that long, then proceed.
As long as you come to a complete stop for SOME period of time, who's to say that it WASN'T two minutes? What are they doing, sitting there with an officially calibrated and certified stopwatch?

Georgia TRIED to pass a similar law some years back - a so-called "Dead Red" law - but with a "reasonable belief" rather than specific time limit. Senate Bill 76 of 2015 passed the legislature but was vetoed by then-Gov Nathan Deal because SB76 also contained some additional things related to motorcycles that he objected to. SB76 read, in part...
If a driver has stopped pursuant to the instructions of a traffic-control device and has a reasonable belief that the traffic-control device or signal is inoperative due to the lightweight design of his or her motorcycle or bicycle, the driver may disregard or disobey the instructions of the traffic-control device or signal and proceed through the intersection, provided that:
(A) There is no other motor vehicle within 500 feet approaching or entering the same intersection from a different highway, or from the same highway approaching or entering the intersection from the opposite direction; and

(B) The driver cautiously proceeds through the intersection with reasonable care and consideration for all other applicable rules of the road.
I think it would have been a great law, and perhaps even a "model" for other states as well. I think I might write a letter to to my local state legislator asking for it to be re-introduced, perhaps even start on on-line petition if I can figure out how to do that.
Likes For FredMau:
Old 04-27-22, 08:08 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Since the conversation in the thread seems to have moved to the discussion of traffic law, I can say from personal experience as a daily bike commuter that what's commonly known as the Idaho stop law surely is nice if you are in a state that has adopted it as law.
Old 04-28-22, 08:55 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I don't think it's illegal but if I'm in the left turn lane waiting, I just walk my bike over to the sidewalk and press the button.
Old 04-29-22, 09:54 AM
Allan in T.Dot

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Interesting. Here in Toronto it is a mixed bag. A lot of folks won't dare sit in the left turn lane - they'll just go to the sidewalk and press the button. North of Toronto, we have designated bike stops at intersections, they have special names for them.

Overall, safety comes first and if a cop ever pulls me over, I am just going to tell them that it's safer for me to press the button on the sidewalk than it is for me to be in the left turn lane with cars blowing through red lights. They can give me another ticket a few blocks down but I'm not risking my life because of someone's inability to drive properly.
Old 06-27-22, 05:53 PM
andcarrotrope

Bikes: 2017 Felt Verza Speed 10

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have a left turn light on my commute at the rural/urban interface. If nothing is around, then I might just ignore the light. But, I frequently find myself stopped. Electronic sensor that doesn't like my bike.

I usually scoot forward, then wave at the car behind me to come forward, and point to a place just behind my rear tire. Some understand what I want.

A lot of the urban left turns I encounter have been changed to flashing yellow light, and I definitely go when clear and safe.

Somehow I've lost patience for "Dead Reds".
If that doesnt work I will do a uturn in the lane and get behind the car, that will then move up and trigger the light.
Old 06-27-22, 07:31 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
It was Michael Faraday that first demonstrated the induction loop around 1831. Tesla wasn't even born until 1856.

In my state, and many others, according to the statutes, if a bicycle does not activate the signal after two cycles, it may proceed.

According to this document: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publication...r%20inductance.

The bicycle's best chance of triggering the reduction in loop inductance is for the wheels or frame to be directly over the wire. For a vehicle with a horizontal plane (car or truck), centered on the perimeter of the wire is better. Note that it is the electrical conductivity of the bicycle's wheels or frame that allow an eddy current to flow through them, thus generating a magnetic field that opposes the field in the loop. It is not the mass of the bicycle nor the ferrous-metal content of the object over or in the loop that actuates the signal. It is totally possible to actuate the system with aluminum rims and frames (theoretically they should actuate it better than steel). While carbon fiber is conductive, it is much less so than aluminum and carbon wheels plus a carbon frame may frequently fail to actuate the signal.
Likes For greatbasin: