Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your C&V Bike with Fenders

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your C&V Bike with Fenders

Old 04-18-22, 12:54 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
'72 PX-10 650B conversion with Hetres & V-O Zeppelin fenders...

Old 04-18-22, 06:00 PM
swampyankee2 

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
I'm digging all these fendered bike pics. I bought a set of Chromoplastics for my Dawes Galaxy, but I'm procrastinating on the install, waiting to see if I can sort out my Robin Hood Lenton Sports since it has a nice set of English steel fenders.
But I'll be joining the club one way or the other.
Old 04-22-22, 10:06 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 186 Posts
77 UO18c Peugeot

Thought the black fenders fit the vibe of the bike well.
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 04-23-22, 09:43 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
I need some mudflaps on my fenders, what are y'all using to DIY a pair? Old leather jacket, maybe?
Any polythene bottle/container - make a pattern, find a suitably curved surface and cut it out with snips; see the white flap on the Claud Butler, above.
Old 04-26-22, 01:34 PM
JLBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Love the fenders!
Old 04-26-22, 02:04 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 646 Posts

72 TDF
Likes For Roger M:
Old 04-26-22, 03:07 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts

Blowing the dust of a 1975 Romic.
Likes For balindamood:
Old 04-26-22, 09:50 PM
Froyd Stellar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
'72 PX-10 650B conversion with Hetres & V-O Zeppelin fenders...
Love the look of those Zeppelins...too bad they don't make them narrower for 28mm tires!
Old 04-26-22, 09:53 PM
Froyd Stellar

Originally Posted by Roger M
72 TDF
Can you tell me more about those fenders? Size, make, etc? Are those 17" wheels or 700? Bike looks superb!
Old 04-26-22, 09:59 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Froyd Stellar
Can you tell me more about those fenders? Size, make, etc? Are those 17" wheels or 700? Bike looks superb!

Thanks! Those are Honjo 35mm fenders. The tires are 700x23. The fenders won't fit over anything bigger than a 25mm tire.
Old 05-10-22, 10:08 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Schwinn Continental with fenders

The fender installation was just completed. I only took it for a short shakedown spin. So far, so good. These are Velo Orange Stainless steel fenders. I am not counting grams on this bike. (shhh. I am really not counting pounds). So a frame made to last, should go fittingly with fenders made to last.

Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 05-11-22, 04:28 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 126 Posts
'81 Fuji & '91 Fuji

Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 05-14-22, 09:27 AM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts

1988 Schwinn Voyageur
Likes For rsacilotto:
Old 05-14-22, 10:58 AM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
'83 Fuji Touring Series IV

Brooks saddle, hammered Handsome fenders, with all of the original Suntour Cyclone drive train. I replaced the tires with 27 x 1 Panaracer Paselas to fit the fenders. Still doing some fine tuning.....especially "le derriere" to its first exposure to a Brooks.
Likes For Triplecrank92:
Old 05-15-22, 10:03 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
I nearly fell out of my chair when I started researching the price of a new titanium adventure/gravel bike so.....

I put some fenders on my old ti Serotta and I love it!

Now I just need a small handlebar bag and I will have saved myself several thousands of dollar-ee-doos

Likes For jet sanchEz:
Old 05-16-22, 02:41 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts

Classic 1965 Gazelle A Opafiets. I have a couple of parts waiting for rims and cream tyres to come back into stock again.

Batavus Randonneur GL on the right and alexnagui Gazelle Champion Mondial on the left.

1993 Koga-Miyata 'Graveller' in light touring mode

1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce that will get some drivetrain upgrades soon.
Old 05-16-22, 03:37 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

You have an enviable collection of bikes @JaccoW . I am mesmerized by the Koga-Miyata gravel/camper/bikepacker. There is a lot going on there. Three water bottles. That would have to be a custom frame bag. Did you make it? It even fits around the frame pump! I don't recognize the saddle. It looks leather. And I see that you have a shifter on your seat tube? Was that for a bottom bracket generator? Or is the brifter an issue with a what looks like a big change from your small to big chainring?

I am liking this whole fender thread. I just put a pair of Planet Bike Cascadia fenders on the Lampert and took it out for a ride.

The fenders went on easily enough. I took an unusual (for me) short cut with the chainstay bridge mount and just used a zip tie since there is no hole in the bridge tube. It seems to work just fine and contour of the fender centers the fender between the chainstays. The ride didn't go as well. I still have some minor issues to work out. Fenders were good, the rear axle was the problem. The threads are not doing well.

Originally I thought that it would be good to put some vintage Bluemels on this old English frame. I had a pair somewhere, but after a few moves, they may be gone. The new Bluemels by SKS, don't seen the same as the old ones from the pictures that I see. They may actually be better, I don't know. To me, the Planet Bike Cascadia seem similar to the old Bluemel design. My Schwinn Traveler has a pair of Cascadia fenders and they have been doing well. So, this and the fact that they are fairly light weight, quiet and installation went well last time, led me to get these fenders for this bike.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 05-16-22 at 03:52 PM.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 05-16-22, 04:33 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
You have an enviable collection of bikes @JaccoW . I am mesmerized by the Koga-Miyata gravel/camper/bikepacker. There is a lot going on there. Three water bottles. That would have to be a custom frame bag. Did you make it? It even fits around the frame pump! I don't recognize the saddle. It looks leather. And I see that you have a shifter on your seat tube? Was that for a bottom bracket generator? Or is the brifter an issue with a what looks like a big change from your small to big chainring?
Thanks Velo Mule, Yeah it's a lot but I kind of like the chaos of it. Originally it was a Koga-Miyata Traveller, a touring bike that was the same frame as the mid 90's Koga-Miyata Randonneur. Which in turn was the Dutch market version of the Miyata 1000 in the years before but with a couple of extra braze ons.

The frame bag is a custom design I cooked up together with Tim Tas & Rek here in the Netherlands. It has a small pocket in the bottom for bits and pieces and has straps on the inside to put tent poles inside of the bag, away from the tent itself. One of the advantages of a big frame (66cm / 26 inches) like this you have a lot of room in the main triangle. My napkin calculations estimate that to be a 5L frame bag and yes, I wanted it to fit around the frame pump.
The saddle is a Lepper Tourer, an old Dutch saddle company that unfortunately folded during Covid but their saddles are nicer than modern Brooks IMHO (thicker leather) and they can be had for under €40 here.
The shifter is indeed for a bottom bracket generator. I am contemplating building a dynamo wheel for my tour this summer but we'll see how it goes. The current wheels have proven to be rock solid so far.
No brifters on this bike, just bar-ends. I like these modern indexed/friction shifters and even friction works really well on 11-speed drivetrains. The 48T/28T chainring is a fairly big drop but modern 11-speed front derailleurs work really well with the unpinned/ramped chainrings.

If you want to know more, I linked the build threads and my thought process of each of these bike under each picture.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 05-16-22, 09:21 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
How did I miss this thread for so long. Bernard Carré masquerading as a Sauvage Lejeune.

Carré Sauvage Lejeune by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 05-17-22, 12:25 AM
gesta

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
I’m pretty sure this bike is already posted somewhere else, but here’s another photo.

198x Peugeot PVN-10 at old mill mid b300 ride.

Fenders + 650b + few modern touches made this old 28” frame a very comfy randonneur bike.
Likes For gesta:
Old 05-17-22, 12:31 PM
Froyd Stellar

Admittedly my wrenching skills are abysmal, but I feel installing the Honjo Flats (45mmwide) was one of the hardest things I've done on my bike to date. Glad to be done with them, and quite satisfied with the results despite crushing the front fend a little more than warranted.

The bike is my son's Schwinn World Sport (1985 vintage if I remember well). He moved on to a new bike and I decided to keep this one for myself after my own bike was stolen. Fenders were a must but I wanted something different than the SKS fenders I had on my previous bike, and much as I like the classy look of the hammered fenders I wanted something a little sportier and so I settled for the Honjo Flats. Due to their flatter profile, they are a bit of a pain to re-radius, so this is the best I could do with fender line.

Clearances were tight, so I had to switch from 700-32 to 28mm. It was a bummer, but had to be done (this was even after switching from the original 27" wheels). To try to maximize space under the fender as much as possible I enlisted the help of a colleague who has a pop-rivet gun and we used that to secure the L-bracket on the rear fender, gaining me an extra few mm on the underside.

After this challenge, I'm think the Arlequin wrap on the handlebars will be a walk in the park
Likes For Froyd Stellar:
Old 05-17-22, 12:37 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts

Long boards on a hippie-camo trek 720.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-19-22, 10:55 AM
Velo Mule

Originally Posted by Froyd Stellar
Admittedly my wrenching skills are abysmal, but I feel installing the Honjo Flats (45mmwide) was one of the hardest things I've done on my bike to date. Glad to be done with them, and quite satisfied with the results despite crushing the front fend a little more than warranted.

The bike is my son's Schwinn World Sport (1985 vintage if I remember well). He moved on to a new bike and I decided to keep this one for myself after my own bike was stolen. Fenders were a must but I wanted something different than the SKS fenders I had on my previous bike, and much as I like the classy look of the hammered fenders I wanted something a little sportier and so I settled for the Honjo Flats. Due to their flatter profile, they are a bit of a pain to re-radius, so this is the best I could do with fender line.

Clearances were tight, so I had to switch from 700-32 to 28mm. It was a bummer, but had to be done (this was even after switching from the original 27" wheels). To try to maximize space under the fender as much as possible I enlisted the help of a colleague who has a pop-rivet gun and we used that to secure the L-bracket on the rear fender, gaining me an extra few mm on the underside.

After this challenge, I'm think the Arlequin wrap on the handlebars will be a walk in the park
This is a Schwinn World @Froyd Stellar ??? After having one, I think that the frame is excellent for what it is. The components tend to be lower end. In your case they are all gone including the headset. Nice bike! And the fenders look great.
Old 05-19-22, 11:21 AM
swampyankee2 

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
The fender installation was just completed. I only took it for a short shakedown spin. So far, so good. These are Velo Orange Stainless steel fenders. I am not counting grams on this bike. (shhh. I am really not counting pounds). So a frame made to last, should go fittingly with fenders made to last.

Beautiful treatment! Nice to see someone take a "lowly" Varsinental and give it some respect. Gawd knows they seem to get trashed alot around here.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 10-25-22, 12:38 PM
robobike316 

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
70s Motobecane Grand Jubile with Bluemals fenders.

Likes For robobike316:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.