Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Show Pitch (Attn Netflix Execs)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-22, 08:56 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Title: Killer Instinct

Logline: A disgraced cyclist has a chance at redemption.

Synopsis: In 2001 US professional Cyclist Lars Toestrung won the Tour de France for the US based Killer Instinct Energy Drink Team after losing 100 pounds and coming back from severe depression. He became an international superstar and continued to dominate the sport for the next 3 years. In 2004 at the age of 29 he retired unexpectedly citing a lagging back injury.

That same year Lars’ protégé, young American Zebedee Brown leads the Killer Instinct Energy Drink Team to their 5th win but is busted for EPO doping on the tour’s 19th stage. Banned from the sport and disgraced, Zebedee retires back to his rural home in Broomstick Tennessee to find himself.

Current Day, Lars Toestrung is a semi-retired celebrity, still a popular figure and coach of the incredibly successful Boulder High School Mountain Bike team, 9 time State Champs. His daughter, Ellie, is the MTB girls state champ.

Zebedee is the new owner/manager of a pot dispensary in Boulder. When his son, Shane, is cut from the Boulder High School team without reason he forms his own ragtag team of underdogs at the smaller New Vista High School.

Old team mates become rivals but will secrets from the past come back to haunt Lars and Zeb.
Likes For gattm99:
Old 01-10-22, 09:06 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Brilliant! I'm still laughing and filling in the details of the 13 episode pilot season.
Old 01-10-22, 09:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Don't quit your day job.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-10-22, 09:21 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Brilliant! I'm still laughing and filling in the details of the 13 episode pilot season.
Things get complicated in episode 7 when Killer Instincts Director Sportiff Brohiem Yunial comes back to "assist" Lars in coaching his team.

Originally Posted by Koyote
Don't quit your day job.
So you don't want to back the pilot?
Old 01-11-22, 06:23 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
Don't quit your day job.
Don’t be so sure, he sounds like a natural, I’m sure he could get a job at Disney writing for the next Star Wars movie.
Old 01-11-22, 06:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
And I thought there was already enough drama on BF.

John
Old 01-17-22, 03:34 AM
The_woo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think there's more scope in my idea: a gruesome slasher / revenge horror movie about a wronged cyclist who saw their SO / friends killed by idiot motorists wreaking bloody revenge on them using a variety of bikes, bike parts and bike tools. Grisly deaths include:
  • Decapitation via shiny sharp chainring.
  • Inflating someone with a track pump until they explode.
  • Deliberately causing someone to crash into something hard and sharp / other.
  • Some kind of turbo trainer related mishap I've not yet decided on.
Or maybe that's just what I dream about every night.

There's also scope for a drama about an investigative journalist going after 'Big Carbon' after a number of deaths caused by failed carbon steerers.Think Erin Brockovich.
Old 01-17-22, 08:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Too low stakes for more than one episode. Needs a caper per episode. The team rivalries are just a cover for the two of them leading a scrappy band of adventure-seeking cyclists who become the world's best jewel thieves.
Old 01-17-22, 08:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Don't quit your day job.
I say we take 20 of the top trolls and Freds from Bikeforums and dangle out a $100k prize to do a one year transformation reality show. Each week are a series of challenges..... physiological, bike handling, basic wrenching, bike "science", accepting bottles from a team car, eating from a musset, etc....... Meanwhile each week, a group works with them on training and nutrition. End of week the bottom half have to race it out on whatever the race event is that week. The bottom two in the race are eliminated. The top rider each week gets the "leader's jersey" for the next week. Final week, instead of a two person time trial..........each person gets to pick their squad "sandlot" style for a final race. The eliminated riders you choose are your team. You get a week to prep as a team for a known course. Then race for the final episode.
Old 01-17-22, 08:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I say we take 20 of the top trolls and Freds from Bikeforums and dangle out a $100k prize to do a one year transformation reality show. Each week are a series of challenges..... physiological, bike handling, basic wrenching, bike "science", accepting bottles from a team car, eating from a musset, etc....... Meanwhile each week, a group works with them on training and nutrition. End of week the bottom half have to race it out on whatever the race event is that week. The bottom two in the race are eliminated. The top rider each week gets the "leader's jersey" for the next week. Final week, instead of a two person time trial..........each person gets to pick their squad "sandlot" style for a final race. The eliminated riders you choose are your team. You get a week to prep as a team for a known course. Then race for the final episode.

Winner gets to marry a millionaire. Or a bicycle.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-17-22, 08:29 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Winner gets to marry a millionaire. Or a bicycle.
I like it.

We know which the true BF winner would choose. Marrying the bicycle.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-17-22, 08:34 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
So, you want an entire reality show built around the 20 most annoying people on bf?

I don't even like reading their posts....And you want me to watch them?
Old 01-17-22, 08:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

How about a talk show where celebrities argue about the best chain lube while riding bikes?
Old 01-17-22, 08:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So, you want an entire reality show built around the 20 most annoying people on bf?

Annoying people are the bread and butter of reality TV, it's why I don't watch it. I don't eat a lot of bread and butter, either.
Old 01-17-22, 08:38 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Annoying people are the bread and butter of reality TV, it's why I don't watch it. I don't eat a lot of bread and butter, either.
Point proved.
Old 01-17-22, 09:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Include a drinking game for at home audience to make it watchable........every time someone starts a troll argument "disc brakes" or "chain lube" and they go at each other.....drink. Every time you hear "steel is real", drink. Every time someone calls a carbon bike "plastic", drink. If someone wants to train by adding weight to their bike...........finish your drink no matter the remaining volume.
Old 01-17-22, 10:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Point proved.

Judging by how many of such shows there are, somebody likes watching annoying people.
Old 01-17-22, 02:19 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Plot twists to keep the series going:

The teams branch out to 'travel teams' and tour the nation
They get so good they go to overseas competitions.
A romantic theme pops up with an LGBTQ angle - a male member of team one has an affair with female on team two, who is having an affair with a female manager on team one.
A team member gets a drug addiction, and another gets caught doing EPO supplied by (yet another) team member.
The teams' going overseas is a ruse to cover their real mission - international spies. And one team has a double agent on it.
Both teams try to settle the 'who's better argument with a competition - jumping a tank full or sharks.

You're welcome for the ideas. I'll be waiting my residual check.
Old 01-17-22, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by skidder
Plot twists to keep the series going:

The teams branch out to 'travel teams' and tour the nation
They get so good they go to overseas competitions.
A romantic theme pops up with an LGBTQ angle - a male member of team one has an affair with female on team two, who is having an affair with a female manager on team one.
A team member gets a drug addiction, and another gets caught doing EPO supplied by (yet another) team member.
The teams' going overseas is a ruse to cover their real mission - international spies. And one team has a double agent on it.
Both teams try to settle the 'who's better argument with a competition - jumping a tank full or sharks.

You're welcome for the ideas. I'll be waiting my residual check.

Has any series ever started with someone jumping a shark tank in season 1 episode 1 scene 1? It's a gutsy, brilliant move.

You do realize this is the point in the pitch where the Netflix exec asks if they really have to be bicyclists. "People hate cyclists. And not in a love-to-hate kind of way. Rugby needs a Ted Lasso--have you considered making them rugby players?"