Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 07:50 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
farewell to the Raleigh sport

I said goodbye Saturday to the 78 root beer Raleigh Sport I recently refurbed for the Bike Exchange. It was another beautiful Garage queen that was donated to us last year.

The paint on it was almost perfect. I clear coated the fenders and chain guard with Rustoleum clear lacquer and it made them really pop.

Other mods included an new SA shifter and cable, new chain, Grips, brake cables and covers. tires, front Aluminum rim, pedals, and a Pletcher rack. The back chrome wheel was rusty and pitted so I removed all the rust and then clear coated the rim , taping off the sides where the brake pads rub so it will stop.

So Saturday an older gent came in with his wife looking for a bike for exercise. He loved the Raleigh but it was just too big for him. We got him on an old Giant city bike that fit him better. It was a gift at $110. plus tax.

Waiting in the wings was a beautiful young Asian woman who was in love with the Raleigh. It fit her perfectly.

I just had to tell her all about it and point out all the things that had been done. I felt like I was saying goodbye To a daughter as she went away to college.

She paid us $125. plus tax for the bike. A real steal of a deal. I am o/k with that though as I know she will cherish the old girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (99.3 KB, 232 views)
Old 05-29-17, 09:32 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
UK-spec Superbe Dawn Tourist, wearing a Lepper Primus saddle. I need to replace the mudflap at some point or another, maybe get one of those dynoluxe batteries. Still got the fork key, and a pletcher rack that I don't think suits the colour.

I feel so bad for people with American-spec superbes. They're just sports but with fork locks!
Old 05-29-17, 12:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Nice work on the front wheel, @Velocivixen. I haven't used that hub extensively. As I said, it needed a little breaking in before the brake worked optimally, and that's OK. The trouble now is that there is this abrasive sound, and I have to sand down the drum. The project is on hold for now. I plan to put emery paper or some such between the shoes and the drum and run the brake for a bit. This sounds bad, but I'm not sure it's an indictment on the hub. My biggest complaint is that it's really heavy, but that's the nature of drum brake hubs. Others have listed drum brakes' advantages, and they are true enough. New York's Citi Bike uses drum brake hubs, and it's the right choice for that application. And the Sturmey Archer front hub is also a work of art.

The two speed hub sounds cool. I end up using only two out of three speeds on a three speed bike since the gears are so far apart. It would be nice if the two speed saved a little weight, but I think it doesn't.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-30-17, 10:11 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
UK-spec Superbe Dawn Tourist, wearing a Lepper Primus saddle. I need to replace the mudflap at some point or another, maybe get one of those dynoluxe batteries. Still got the fork key, and a pletcher rack that I don't think suits the colour.

I feel so bad for people with American-spec superbes. They're just sports but with fork locks!
-And a rack, Dynohub and lighting.
Old 05-30-17, 10:30 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
And a Brooks B-66 saddle.
Old 05-30-17, 11:03 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
And 3 point mudguard mounts, and Brooks saddles and colour matched prestube racks (pletscher ugh) and dual mudguard stays.

And sometimes chrome forks with lamp mounts, drop bars, EA1 wheelsets and SW hubs.

Old 05-30-17, 12:05 PM
Renngrrl

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist Loop, 1979 Puch Rugby Sport, 1970s stealth Erocia project

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speaking of rear racks on 3 speeds, can anyone id this rear rack?

IMG_2927.JPGIMG_2928.jpg
Old 05-30-17, 04:28 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Aye, but these american "superbes" are fitted with the dynohub lighting set that was meant as an optional extra on bikes not normally equipped so. Superbes everywhere else got the Dyno-three gear hub.

Missing pump, no Dyno-three, no mudflap or gearcase, steel rack instead of brooks saddle bag, cable-brakes only, I imagine they were aiming more for recreational use and cost reducing it to death while they were at it?

More choice of colours though, I'll give you that much.
Old 05-30-17, 05:52 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Renngrrl

Attachment 565348Attachment 565349
Judging by the look of the frame I'd say the rack is original to the bike, whatever the hell it is. Crazy bottom bracket junction!
Old 05-30-17, 06:28 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by Renngrrl

Attachment 565348Attachment 565349
Looks like a 70's/90's Dutch rack, like on this Gazelle.

Old 05-30-17, 07:52 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
1972 Raleigh Sports Progress Report

This bike has gone to a new owner. A youngish (30) friend of the family. Sold for cost plus new parts. He pretty much beat his 3 speed CCM to death. Left it outside all winter, no maintenance etc. I've explained to him that unlike modern machines, that are somewhat disposable, a vintage British bicycle will last a lifetime (or two) with regular user attention and maintenance. I'm not sure if he was paying attention but I sure hope he was......
p1190128.jpg
Old 05-30-17, 08:00 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by thumpism
Judging by the look of the frame I'd say the rack is original to the bike, whatever the hell it is. Crazy bottom bracket junction!
THats a Thompson style BB typically found on German and Austrian mid level bikes. so @Renngrrl, Germany may also be a source for your rack. There are gazillions of these, no hyperbole.
Old 05-31-17, 04:28 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Originally Posted by clubman
Looks like a 70's/90's Dutch rack, like on this Gazelle.
Yeah I think there's no chance to ID it on a specific model, ones just like it are sold under dozens of names here.
Old 05-31-17, 09:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@clubman, I think I remember seeing that style BB on Italian folding bikes, too. My mother had such a bike when I was a kid. It had a Torpedo three speed hub.

Does coating a bike with WD-40 serve as winter protection from someone who is going to leave a bike out all winter? Well it can't hurt, can it?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-31-17, 09:22 AM
Cute Boy Horse

No. WD40 won't do anything, first rain and it's gone.
Old 05-31-17, 09:59 AM
Renngrrl

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Tourist Loop, 1979 Puch Rugby Sport, 1970s stealth Erocia project

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Originally Posted by clubman
Looks like a 70's/90's Dutch rack, like on this Gazelle.THats a Thompson style BB typically found on German and Austrian mid level bikes. so @Renngrrl, Germany may also be a source for your rack. There are gazillions of these, no hyperbole.
Yeah I think there's no chance to ID it on a specific model, ones just like it are sold under dozens of names here.
Originally Posted by noglider
@clubman, I think I remember seeing that style BB on Italian folding bikes, too. My mother had such a bike when I was a kid. It had a Torpedo three speed hub.
Winner winner chicken dinner! I knew you folks would know.

A quick google image surf and I've found the racks. I love the bent tubes instead of hinged. Makes it look much more elegant. I hope a rack like this will attach using the existing bolt for the rear fender.

There was someone who was making a version of these for the tourists , a vendor named Red Barn, but repeated emails to him has proven fruitless. Now to find someone willing to part with 2 or three that will fit a 28" wheel or find someone local to bend tubes for me.
Old 05-31-17, 10:11 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Aye, but these american "superbes" are fitted with the dynohub lighting set that was meant as an optional extra on bikes not normally equipped so. Superbes everywhere else got the Dyno-three gear hub.

Missing pump, no Dyno-three, no mudflap or gearcase, steel rack instead of brooks saddle bag, cable-brakes only, I imagine they were aiming more for recreational use and cost reducing it to death while they were at it?

More choice of colours though, I'll give you that much.
My bike came with a pump. I still have it (although only as a memento- I replaced it with a newer unit). Are you saying that the Dynohub was an option on the Superbe in the US? I ask because it does not look that way in the catalogs. Personally I prefer the cable brakes although if set up properly the rod brakes are more powerful.
Old 05-31-17, 12:56 PM
Cute Boy Horse

My bike came with a pump. I still have it (although only as a memento- I replaced it with a newer unit). Are you saying that the Dynohub was an option on the Superbe in the US? I ask because it does not look that way in the catalogs. Personally I prefer the cable brakes although if set up properly the rod brakes are more powerful.
Nah I'm not saying that it was optional in the US, I'm saying that the US model is using parts that were optional extras everywhere else - on bikes that normally came with nothing. That's what the front wheel dynohub was marketed for, upgrades, and for bikes that had derailleurs.

Thinking about it, the USA "Superbe" seems to be the UK market Trent Tourist with extras added. Not a bad bike but doesn't have the imperialist battleship feeling of a proper Superbe.

Last edited by Cute Boy Horse; 05-31-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-31-17, 07:30 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
That light looks like an okay "to be seen" light. But I much rather have a "to see" light. Regular bike lights have gotten pretty good the last few years, and you can get a pretty bright (100 lumens) light that is USB rechargable for about $30.

Also, since that Harbor Freight light isn't designed for bikes, and the lantern bracket will mean it will point straight ahead, it may do more to annoy other oncoming cyclists and other road users than anything else...

Well, just had the chance to ride the bike at night and as you said it did point straight ahead, but was easy to adjust lower. But wow, really bright and illuminating. Granted, not as bright as my "Shark" light, but for a free light on my beater, it is impressive.
Old 05-31-17, 08:09 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
@Renngrrl I have a rack quite like the one you have. It came on an Austrian bike. It was attached to an esge plate on the seat stays. I will try and get a pic tomorrow. Might be the lead to find others in US.
Old 06-01-17, 04:23 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I don't need another scorcher, but I hate not having a project going. So I'm hard at work trying to get this rusty late 60s Sports apart. This bike wasn't just left outside, it was left outside next to the ocean. Just about every bolt has to be sawed or drilled out. So far, the fork, BB parts and frame look good and oddly enough, the little plastic cover on the shifter was still in good condition. This is what's on my bench now. It's grinder, hack saw and drill time!

69r.jpg
Old 06-01-17, 05:02 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I don't need another scorcher, but I hate not having a project going. So I'm hard at work trying to get this rusty late 60s Sports apart. This bike wasn't just left outside, it was left outside next to the ocean. Just about every bolt has to be sawed or drilled out. So far, the fork, BB parts and frame look good and oddly enough, the little plastic cover on the shifter was still in good condition. This is what's on my bench now. It's grinder, hack saw and drill time!

Attachment 565509
I'm with you BC. I too need to have an ongoing project.
I bought a $20.00 tall Glider frame on the w/e and have already pulled it apart. The chain ring and cranks have already migrated over to another project, 1961 Superbe.
P1000323.jpg
the original heron ring with the stamped eye that has a slight curve on the crank.
Once repaired, it will return to it's original spot.
[ATTACH]P1000324.jpg[/ATTACH]
p118092vcb2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1000326.jpg (97.3 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by gster; 06-01-17 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 07:08 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
That looks like a fun project. I see you got rod brake bars sitting there. Now I gotta know what you're up to. I've been hunting for a 23" Sports that's beyond preservation for a "like new" type restoration, but since the road test of my Rudge, I have no second thoughts about using a 21" for a scorcher type build. That SunLite touring stem worked out perfectly. Besides being long enough to get a good upper body to leg extension balance, it has a neck that gives an extra inch of reach over the Raleigh stem that fits me perfectly. It has a very different feel than a 23". Very fun ride.
Old 06-01-17, 07:16 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Yes they came with different specs over the years. Some with full kit (except chaincase) and some with the bits as options. The import world was gray, not black and white.
Old 06-01-17, 07:45 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Hmm, this thread, as usual, makes me itch for a new 3-speed project. I've seen lots of possibilities on Boston's CL lately, such as this 23" Sports or this one or this one. Those all look a little too clean and functional, however!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.