Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The End is Nigh

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The End is Nigh

Old 06-09-19, 12:49 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Man, your world must be completely upside-down!!!
"Dad"?
Oops! A mis-type if ever there was one!

Yeah, it's right side up on Flickr & my phone. BF won't render it like everywhere else.

What 15 year-old wouldn't want an e-bike? It might be cool to get her one as a cool gift regardless of timing with the new program or not. It'd probably save her Mom a bunch of obligation as well.

I think if it were me, the e-bike option is what I'd do.
Old 06-11-19, 06:57 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Nothing is confirmed yet. She got her application in late and may not go to the Youth Corps. But, an opening could come up.

And, yes, Mom would likely be driving her most of the time. But there could be days when that isn't possible or practical, so one must be prepared for the inevitable.
Even more reason not to go to the trouble and expense of getting a car on the road if it will only be used occasionally for 5 weeks.

Sounds like you are doing it for other reasons and the niece's visit is just a prompt to get you working on stuff you had been intending to do anyway.

Last edited by cooker; 06-11-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 08:08 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Oops! A mis-type if ever there was one!

Yeah, it's right side up on Flickr & my phone. BF won't render it like everywhere else.

What 15 year-old wouldn't want an e-bike? It might be cool to get her one as a cool gift regardless of timing with the new program or not. It'd probably save her Mom a bunch of obligation as well.

I think if it were me, the e-bike option is what I'd do.
Don't look at me, I had a bike and wanted a girlfriend and mag wheels on a bad car. My dad had a '70 Ford pickup with a 302 automatic, non-towing package and spoker wheels or whatever you call the standard rims with triangles pressed out to look like big spokes and striping around the edge. Two tone, the top was dark blue like Ford engine blue and some native American style woven blanket for a bench seat cover.

My dad drove awesome crap.

Of course by the time I was 15 he drove a 1978 Chevy C-10, plain Jane, inline six, got the jobs done.
Old 06-20-19, 08:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Old 08-08-19, 03:55 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
So - did she get the position? Did you end up being the chauffeur?
Old 08-08-19, 05:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Well, she got her application in late, and didn't get accepted to the Youth Corps. She did come down, but not "chauffeuring" for me. If she gets her act together earlier and applies next year, there are two options available. Here in Eugene doing the day program with Grandma. Or the overnight camping program, off wherever they take her. But, she should have her driver's license by then.

I did start getting interested in driving again.

I got the Blazer running again, but it developed an exhaust leak in the top of the muffler. The muffler looked clean on the bottom, and it had apparently muffled it enough that I hadn't noticed the problem. But, it nearly burnt up the Blazer. Just lucky I was able to save the vehicle.

It has an auto transmission, not my preference, but ... Anyway, it really needs a transmission cooler, so that will be the next project. And, hopefully not a full transmission rebuild.

Anyway, I bought a F150 from a neighbor for a little more hauling/towing capacity. But, it is 20 years old with pretty high mileage. I has had the #3 sparkplug blown and hopefully permanently repaired. Just 7 more spark plugs to blow!!!

New problems with new vehicles. I never had blown spark plugs in any of the previous generation vehicles I've owned.

I just replaced the tie rod ends, took it in for alignment and was told I also need ball joints. So, back home to replace the second half of the front suspension. Working on that now. And, the key was getting mighty worn, so I took it into the locksmith and was told new keys were $35 each. Plus they could "read" the original to cut it back to factory specs. And, since I only had 1 key, it was an extra $80 to reprogram the key, I think. Anyway, what a pain, but it all now works like new!!!

I drove to Michigan to pick up a load of Scrap Metal.

Of course, I haven't given up riding completely, and don't know what my long-term will be. As it is, I drive when I need to drive, and ride when I don't need to drive (or I have to fetch car parts).
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-09-19, 03:37 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Be good so Daddy won't take it away.
Old 08-11-19, 08:59 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Be good so Daddy won't take it away.
I see what you did there. :wink:
Old 09-08-19, 11:04 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
[....]
Distance is about 9 miles each way, plus about 32 miles RT for me to get from my house to the Mom's house and back, so shuttling won't be particularly practical for me either.

In gradeschool (age 11 or 12), I would occasionally do the trek one-way, solo, but further, maybe 20 miles or so. We moved closer, but generally along the same route between 6th and 7th grade, so by age 13 or 14, I was frequently doing most of the route to school (ending in a different direction).

Anyway, I've been riding on those roads for many years. But, Mom doesn't want to turn my niece loose on the bike.
I think it's great that you're supporting your neice as she gets to work on her young adult life. You will have her as a captive audience for expounding bikes and carfree life. I would keep it positive. Tell her about your pleasant experiences and the joys of cycling. Point out how much independence and autonomy she would gain, and how now would be a perfect time in her life to experiment a little. You might offer to help her get a first bike and learn how to ride in traffic.

Another thing I thought of is that if she's getting any kind of paycheck, she should be expected to contribute to the cause. She should at least know some of the expenses involved with car dependence.
Old 09-14-19, 07:46 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I did start getting interested in driving again.

Oh that'd get me very interested. I always tinkered with old cars. Modifying them, cleaning them up. And i always ran something i'd put my name on. E-biking has allowed me to live car free, with my daily being a cargo/tandem, but the concept has also given me a new field to tinker in; I've built a few now, including a solar-powered one.

But the itch to tinker with cars has proven hard to ignore, so when a mate offered a low mileage Mini for pocket money, needing some TLC, i decided to take it on as something to chew on. No it's hardly a Thunderbird, but still.

I have no idea where i'm going with it or why, i don't have your reasoning to return to the road. I do have some Yamaha R1 individual throttle bodies i wanna make work, to start with. The facilities to make an exhaust. Silver's also a good blank canvas for Sharpie tattooing, and whilst the interior's mint i've been inspired by Mini racing and no longer think it needs a carpet... If i don't completely muck it up i may even justify a reason for it.