Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking vintage bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bikepacking vintage bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 12:01 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by j19
Hi everyone!
I'd like to build a bikepacking bike based on a vintage frame that I could use on a variety of surfaces - mostly roads, but I would like it to handle some light gravel too. I was wondering whether you would recommend choosing a vintage mountain bike frame as a base or to go for a vintage race bike with downtube shifters and try to fit thicker wheels. Furthermore, what kind of wheels/tyres would you recommend?
Given your goals, it sounds like you are more oriented to "bicycle touring" (road and some gravel) than "Bikepacking" (typically more rough / singletrack / backcountry type riding). Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but to me pavement with a little gravel is not bikepacking - it is touring.

With that in mind, any vintage touring bike should fit the bill. Some of the most beautiful and practical bikes ever built, IMO.
Likes For canyoneagle:
Old 03-29-21, 01:08 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Two mtb touring-ish builds on Radavist that some might find strangely appealing

1980s Panasonic Mountain Cat: https://theradavist.com/2020/09/pana...n-cat-project/

Early 2000s Ti Black Sheep hardtail: https://theradavist.com/2019/06/sams...lifetime-bike/

Old 03-29-21, 02:28 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
I've done some gravel cycling on my Gazelle with 35mm tires and it was a lot of fun, I've would have probably felt more comfortable on a mountain bike at certain points, but it was still a lot of fun. If you want some inspiration check out the Instagram account of Rough Stuff Fellowship.
If you can't decide between a mountain bike and a touring bike just get yourself both and see what works better for you. Or just keep both of them.
By the way, you can find some gravel routes in the Netherlands here: https://gravelrides.cc/alle-routes/, or you can make your own routes with Kamoot.
Likes For alexnagui:
Old 03-29-21, 02:42 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by alexnagui
I've done some gravel cycling on my Gazelle with 35mm tires and it was a lot of fun, I've would have probably felt more comfortable on a mountain bike at certain points, but it was still a lot of fun. If you want some inspiration check out the Instagram account of Rough Stuff Fellowship.
If you can't decide between a mountain bike and a touring bike just get yourself both and see what works better for you. Or just keep both of them.
By the way, you can find some gravel routes in the Netherlands here: https://gravelrides.cc/alle-routes/, or you can make your own routes with Kamoot.
Great archival touring pics in the RSF insta
Likes For ctak:
Old 03-29-21, 02:45 PM
ctak

Likes For ctak:
Old 03-29-21, 03:27 PM
j19

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi! Thank you, everyone, for awesome posts! I wasn't really aware of the difference between bikepacking and touring, to be honest but I now see I actually meant touring. Mostly flat terrain, nothing too crazy. Frame conversions are a bit too advanced in my case, but I have some experience with restoring old racing bikes. Touring bikes seem like a good starting point. My goal is also to do it as affordable for my student wallet as possible (I'm not even a millennial, haha, but proudly Gen-Z .) Something like JaccoW's Batavus would be great. Oh, btw I also live in R'dam!
I'm sure this is not the last bike I'll ever build, but right now I'm looking for something as universal and lightweight as possible that I can take on a few days trip with light camping gear. I already have a racing bike for 1-day trips.
I've found a dirty cheap 3x8 Koga Adventure (I, unfortunately, can't add a picture as I'm new on the forum. Does it sound like a good starting point?
Old 03-29-21, 07:39 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
There are two very nice mid 80s Schwinn Voyageurs in different sizes (21" and 23") for good prices in the C&V sales forum right now. Maybe one is your size. They were just about as good as it got for 80's touring bikes. They'll fit up to 40mm tires without fenders (~35-38 with), have all the eyelets and braze ons for racks/fenders/bottle cages, frames are columbus tubing, longer wheel-bases, ~24lbs stock. I've got one myself and am quite happy with it. They are also likely serviced and ready to ride.

Last edited by polymorphself; 03-29-21 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 08:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,796 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
There are two very nice mid 80s Schwinn Voyageurs in different sizes (21" and 23") for good prices in the C&V sales forum right now. Maybe one is your size. They were just about as good as it got for 80's touring bikes. They'll fit up to 40mm tires without fenders (~35-38 with), have all the eyelets and braze ons for racks/fenders/bottle cages, frames are columbus tubing, longer wheel-bases, ~24lbs stock. I've got one myself and am quite happy with it. They are also likely serviced and ready to ride.
OP is in Europe.

Shipping would greatly add to the cost.
Old 03-29-21, 08:15 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
OP is in Europe.

Shipping would greatly add to the cost.
Oh yeah. I take it back. They're not that nice.
Old 03-29-21, 09:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10957 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by El Chaba
I used a more modern drivetrain in the restoration, my Meral camper has/accommodates 32 mm tires which are sweet spot for combined gravel and pavement. You can find older touring bikes built before the art and science of carrying a load on a bicycle was forgotten. It has been rediscovered by millennials who have no interest in things that were perfected before the microchip, so you see modern bikes for camping with frame bags that hinder the rider’s knees and can’t really accommodate anything and gigantic seat bags that look like they were designed for a baguette delivery service....
Wow. When I'm older, I hope to not have this level of contempt and bitterness towards an arbitrarily created grouping of adults who are largely in their 30s.

- I wouldn't want 32mm tires for bikepacking since...why? There is no upside. Even on a paved road touring bike, why 32? You can get a quality 35 or 38mm tire that rolls fast and is light. There is no downside and you get comfort.

- The 'art and science' of carrying gear on a bike hasnt been forgotten. There are more options than ever now. There are all sorts of racks and bags that allow each of us to set our unique bikes up to perform however we view is best.
I like to use large rear panniers on a front rack and a large compression dry bag lashed to the top of a rear rack. It rides great for how I want my bike to handle and someone else may want a totally different setup.

- Bikepacking gear is designed for unpaved riding where you may not have enough space to ride with wide rear panniers. A traditionally packed touring bike perhaps isn't ideal for singletrack since branches, grasses, rocks, etc are right next to the trail and can rub/tear/ruin panniers. Moving the gear up higher and more inline with the bike reduces the footprint and potential damage.

The downside of bilepacking gear is that it's a lot to pack and dangle, and space is more limited.
For the record, i do not have bilepacking gear so this isn't me defending something I am biased for.

You are shaking your fist at a cloud right now.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-29-21, 11:51 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by j19
I've found a dirty cheap 3x8 Koga Adventure (I, unfortunately, can't add a picture as I'm new on the forum. Does it sound like a good starting point?
Make just 4 more posts (10 total) and you'll be able to upload images, but an Adventure sounds promising based on your stated intention.
Here's a link to the Koga Miyata archive for further research: https://www.koga.com/en/service/broc...2000-1976).htm
RiddleOfSteel compiled a helpful master list of catalog links by country, featuring Gazelle and Batavus in addition to K-M under the Netherlands heading: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...t-w-links.html

Likes For ctak:
Old 03-30-21, 04:28 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Light touring in the Low Countries C&V style?

My vote would go to the Gazelle Champion Mondial Semi-Race. Easy to find in Holland (there are at least five on MP right now) and very nicely made.

Here is mine in Italy:

Fitted with 30mm Challenge Strada Bianca tires, which are designed for, well, strade bianche:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-30-21, 02:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,796 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Light touring in the Low Countries C&V style?

My vote would go to the Gazelle Champion Mondial Semi-Race. Easy to find in Holland (there are at least five on MP right now) and very nicely made.

Here is mine in Italy:

Fitted with 30mm Challenge Strada Bianca tires, which are designed for, well, strade bianche:

Local knowledge is the best knowledge!

That pic of strada bianca makes me want to go ride.
Old 03-30-21, 02:45 PM
j19

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love Gazelle semi-racing bikes, but with all the weight I would potentially put on it I'm afraid of damaging the frame/wheels. Is thin Reynolds 531 tubing suitable for carrying full camping gear?
Old 03-30-21, 04:00 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by j19
I love Gazelle semi-racing bikes, but with all the weight I would potentially put on it I'm afraid of damaging the frame/wheels. Is thin Reynolds 531 tubing suitable for carrying full camping gear?
For the occasional camping trip I could live with it being a little more flexy than a real touring bike, but If your goal is fully-loaded touring, there are better options from that same era, such as the touring bikes made by Vittorio and Snel, to name a few local examples.

This is my eighties' Snel Expedition, and that is the bike I would confidently load up if I had to. The downside of its being more sturdy than the Gazelle, however, is that it also feels a lot less lively when ridden unloaded. Not the bike I grab for a Sunday afternoon ride.

Every bike is a compromise, and it depends on your plans and preferences which would work best for you.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-07-21, 08:35 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You are shaking your fist at a cloud right now.
Clouds need fists shaken at them. That's what makes it rain.
Old 04-07-21, 08:48 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by j19
If it's something like this, then yes, that's exactly the kind of bike I'd want for a camping tour. You'll need to decide what kind of handlebars you like for touring -- in my experience drop bars are overrated (though you do have a lot of open fields and high winds in the NL, don't you?), but you do want a variety of hand positions.
Old 04-07-21, 01:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak

Those folks could climb the Matterhorn on a tricycle, us mere mortals, I think not.