Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 05-15-22, 08:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Seems the Suns are about to set in Phoenix.

Totally eclipsed.
Old 05-15-22, 08:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11893 Post(s)
Liked 6,487 Times in 3,416 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That belly needs a rub.
Just a hussy.
Old 05-15-22, 08:32 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
There's a thin layer of haze, but the sky is mostly clear.
Old 05-15-22, 08:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11893 Post(s)
Liked 6,487 Times in 3,416 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Today was rough. I ended up going down three times. The first time, I was riding back to my car from packet pickup, some guy wasn’t paying atttention coming around a bend and pushed me into a field. Said field had 3 foot deep potholes in it and I went over the bars. Crash two was on some stupid rooty rocky muddy single track that I would really only classify as dangerous. Lost traction and went down against some rocks- my right cleat got stuck and I twisted my knee all up. Crash three was pretty much the same, just an even worse segment that took out about ten people in my near vacinity.

My knee, shoulder and hip hurt so bad that the rest of the day was torture.

I had a ton of mechanicals and probably wasted about an hour dicking around with them. I’m really disappointed in the outcome, but it’s over at least
All in the name of fun? Does not compute.
Old 05-15-22, 08:40 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Today was rough. I ended up going down three times. The first time, I was riding back to my car from packet pickup, some guy wasn’t paying atttention coming around a bend and pushed me into a field. Said field had 3 foot deep potholes in it and I went over the bars. Crash two was on some stupid rooty rocky muddy single track that I would really only classify as dangerous. Lost traction and went down against some rocks- my right cleat got stuck and I twisted my knee all up. Crash three was pretty much the same, just an even worse segment that took out about ten people in my near vacinity.

I had a ton of mechanicals and probably wasted about an hour dicking around with them. I’m really disappointed in the outcome, but it’s over at least
Oof
Old 05-15-22, 08:41 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
No comment.
Comment.
Old 05-15-22, 09:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Comment.
See my previous posts on gravel riding.
Old 05-15-22, 10:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
anyway you can take a picture of how you did this? I know my three bikes are not the same, but I’m also not experiencing pain.
For me the key thing is that I do all measurements from fixed points. I have the bike on a level floor, with the rear wheel right up against a wall. I try to level the handlebars. I start by measuring from BB center to the floor and the wall. Then the center of the top of the headtube to the floor and the wall. Then the handlebar, by the stem, to the floor and the wall. Then I put the board on the saddle, check with a level that it matches the other bikes. Then I measure from the floor to the bottom of the board at the predetermined point, and then from BB center to the same point, and then from saddle nose to wall. I also use a dowel, which I put in the place on the hoods where your hands go, fix it in place with rubberbands, then measure from there to the back of the saddle.

Floor to BB center...

Here's the saddle height measurement. Sorry it's blurry, but I had to hold the tape measure in my right hand while trying to snap the pic with my left!

This shows the basic problem with measuring saddle height - different bikes have different seat tube angles. But if you set the saddle angles all the same, and the setback relative to the BB the same, you can measure the saddle height, from BB center to the same point on the saddle. I used the Ritchey as the standard because it's so conventional, and it's my most comfortable bike. I put that board on the saddle, with the back of the board even with the back of the saddle. Then I lined up the tape measure from BB center to the bottom of the board, with the edge of the tape measure lined up with the center of the seat tube, and then marked the point where it lined up with the bottom of the board.

I enter the numbers, in inches, into an Excel spreadsheet, in which I added formulas to convert inches to cm, and also to subtract some numbers from others to give me others - like (Saddle to Floor) - (Bar Top to Floor) = Handlebar Drop. Here's the Litespeed's measurements, with the measurements in inches on the left and calculated values in cm on the right.

Hope this helps!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-15-22, 10:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts

Yikes!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-16-22, 03:18 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10062 Post(s)
Liked 5,049 Times in 2,155 Posts

But is the bike okay?
Old 05-16-22, 03:21 AM
bampilot06

I use straight talk. I had this for the past 7 years or so and have never had any issues. 55 a month for unlimited. Currently running and Iphone 8 plus, I suspect my wife and I will be getting new phones before the end of this year. From experience Iphones only last me about 4 years and we are on year 3.5. The battery starts to become unreliable.

Ive tried android in the past and just hated everything about them. I must not know what I am doing but it seemed like after the first year they would get glitchy. I also not a fan of the lay out.

I don’t know which Iphone we will go with, but I won’t spend more than 400.00 on a phone.
Old 05-16-22, 03:22 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by genejockey
For me the key thing is that I do all measurements from fixed points. I have the bike on a level floor, with the rear wheel right up against a wall. I try to level the handlebars. I start by measuring from BB center to the floor and the wall. Then the center of the top of the headtube to the floor and the wall. Then the handlebar, by the stem, to the floor and the wall. Then I put the board on the saddle, check with a level that it matches the other bikes. Then I measure from the floor to the bottom of the board at the predetermined point, and then from BB center to the same point, and then from saddle nose to wall. I also use a dowel, which I put in the place on the hoods where your hands go, fix it in place with rubberbands, then measure from there to the back of the saddle.

Floor to BB center...

Here's the saddle height measurement. Sorry it's blurry, but I had to hold the tape measure in my right hand while trying to snap the pic with my left!

This shows the basic problem with measuring saddle height - different bikes have different seat tube angles. But if you set the saddle angles all the same, and the setback relative to the BB the same, you can measure the saddle height, from BB center to the same point on the saddle. I used the Ritchey as the standard because it's so conventional, and it's my most comfortable bike. I put that board on the saddle, with the back of the board even with the back of the saddle. Then I lined up the tape measure from BB center to the bottom of the board, with the edge of the tape measure lined up with the center of the seat tube, and then marked the point where it lined up with the bottom of the board.

I enter the numbers, in inches, into an Excel spreadsheet, in which I added formulas to convert inches to cm, and also to subtract some numbers from others to give me others - like (Saddle to Floor) - (Bar Top to Floor) = Handlebar Drop. Here's the Litespeed's measurements, with the measurements in inches on the left and calculated values in cm on the right.

Hope this helps!

thank you.
Old 05-16-22, 03:23 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
But is the bike okay?
yes
Old 05-16-22, 04:08 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts

My condolences, 🙏 for healing
Old 05-16-22, 04:08 AM
ls01
he said member

No comment.
wut
Old 05-16-22, 04:09 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by big john
Sorry to read this. Hoping the knee is ok. And the other parts, too.
reported
Old 05-16-22, 04:12 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
That bites. There are days that the money spent is best forfeited, but we instead turn them into epic days. You'll look back and think it was pretty good that you persevered.
At the finish I said to myself I was never doing it again, I’ve already changed my mind.

Originally Posted by big john
Sorry to read this. Hoping the knee is ok. And the other parts, too.
Feel okay today, neck is a little stiff and my hip hurts, but no bruises other than ego

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oof. I know that you're competitive, but you really shouldn't try to out-bam bam.
Well… I crashed more yesterday than in my entire cycling career, so I hope that’s out of the way.

I think perhaps doing a 5k with the kids Saturday was just enough “not rest” to wear me out. Or I should have kept up with the Rasputitsa and Battenkill trends and done this one hung over. I seem to be able to ride harder that way.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 05-16-22, 04:13 AM
ls01
he said member

But is the bike okay?
Probably. If there was an injury to the bike, he would have lead with that report. Unless there was a head injury. Then proper format for race reports are off the table
Old 05-16-22, 04:17 AM
bampilot06

Just glad I am not alone in bike mishaps.
Old 05-16-22, 04:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
I’m moving my play time to lunch time.

Wordle 331 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Old 05-16-22, 04:36 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
If it is anything like my cat, that belly is a trap. You go for the rub and suddenly get the full pounce, chomp and disembowel treatment.
Mine was back and forth. A Schroedinger's belly rub, if you will.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-16-22, 04:40 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’m moving my play time to lunch time.

Wordle 331 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
It feels like that should matter, but it doesn't seem to affect mine.

Wordle 331 4/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Old 05-16-22, 04:50 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I'm, uh, glad it wasn't worse?
Old 05-16-22, 04:54 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That belly needs a rub.
Carefully, and be able to pull your hand back in a hurry in case of detonation.

#CatAttack

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-16-22, 04:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have a hard time turning off the Live Aid concert portion of “Bohemian Rhapsody.”
I watch that on You Tube occasionally and did last week.. It took three days to get Radio GaGa out of my head.

There's a great dissection of the performance on YT that shows every nuance of the performance and why it was so great.

Likes For Trsnrtr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.