Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you jump obstacles on your road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Do you jump obstacles on your road bike?
No, jumping is for idiots. I actually look where I'm going...
10.53%
Sure, I jump everything, even things I can safely ride around.
17.54%
I only jump in an emergency.
65.50%
I jump/ride off of curbs, but I don't jump over things.
6.43%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Do you jump obstacles on your road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 04:06 PM
BigNoseWhipper
n00b

Bikes: kink fiend, road bike i found in the trash (i dont know the name), trek 4500 mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i jump things ALL the time. ive been ridin freestyle bmx for 9 years, so its kinda trained me to constantly jump things. its really fun too.
Old 06-19-06, 05:28 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
There was a great clip of a rider hopping up onto the center divider and switching to the other side of a traffic circle in the tour de suisse recap coverage yesterday when he realized that side was shorter.
I didn't see the coverage, but apparently he cleared the whole thing and got the win. Also, I forgot about cyclocross - bikes get tossed all over the place...
Old 06-20-06, 10:35 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Just think of a bunnyhop as a Z-axis swerve.
Finally a post in my native language!

I used to bunny hop all of the time as high as I could on my road bikes as a kid. To this day I hop a ton of stuff on every ride. Honestly I find it safer and easier on my equipment and other riders than swerving is. I consider it a wonderful handling technique that should be mastered by everyone.

...I don't do 2 foot high standing hops anymore, but rolling hops that lead to some fairly big air are part of my regular ride.

Old 06-20-06, 11:21 PM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in texas, so if you want to ride fast, bunnyhopping is just part of it.

Ive cleared a few cattle guards in my day as well...
Old 06-20-06, 11:38 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bunny hop only when necessary. Like others have said, it's less stress on your wheels than slamming into a pothole. If you do it right, and absorb the shock of the landing with your arms and legs, you can manage to land pretty darn softly.
Old 06-20-06, 11:48 PM
Mothra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I jump stuff all the time, usually up and down kerbs to bypass street-lights. Cleared a suicidal cat one time. Potholes that jump out in front of you on blind downhill curves are best jumped, lest you want to fly off the cliff trying to ride around it. Hop over crashed riders in races, although I usually aim for the neck just in case I don't clear them completely...
Old 06-21-06, 08:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
As some others have said, a bunnyhop is a hell of a lot easier on your wheels than plowing into a pothole or curb. IMO, it's an essential bike handling skill.
Particularly for racing. Sometimes in a race jumping is the only choice. Also works well on single railroad tracks. a lot safer to jump than to risk sliding out if they miight be wet.
Old 06-21-06, 08:45 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead Roman
I live in texas, so if you want to ride fast, bunnyhopping is just part of it.
Ive cleared a few cattle guards in my day as well...
Texas? Is it really that bad down there?

To the OP - I *have* to bunny hop many obstacles a day. I concur with everyone that says it's less stress on the rim/etcetera than slamming into the potholes. Plus, in my opinion, you're far less likely to get a blowout.
Old 06-21-06, 09:29 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I can, but don't.

Instead I like to keep pedaling and stay in the seat, so I'll unweight and pull up a little on bars to clear small debris or go over a depression or tracks, but not 'hop'.

But I would like to be able to hop without disrupting cadence, but need more practice. Its not so easy.

Al
Old 06-21-06, 09:54 AM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High-flying antics are rarely necessary on my road bike.

Generally my road bike is moving fast enough that hopping an inch or two will carry me over most sewers, pulverized roads and whatever else might cause problems. The impact of landing from such a height is close to zero, I would think. I have hopped up a few curbs on my road bike at full speed, but generally I avoid this .

Now on my downhill bike, lame, high-flying antics are a lifestyle choice...
Old 06-21-06, 10:12 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
best bunnyhop witnessed.
Ride up to a set of rollers, bunnyhop with sideways motion onto rollers
and just start riding them. . .

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 06-21-06, 10:21 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll let my handle speak for me
Old 06-21-06, 07:55 PM
jeff_o

Bikes: Custom built 55cm Tange 2 w/ Shimano RX100 Group

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
I'm rolling with Ksyriums (18 in the front, radially laced and 20 in the rear, radial lacing on the driveside) and haven't had any problems despite the bashing I put them through.

A wheel taco is what happens when you case a jump or something and warp the wheel in such a way as to make it look like a taco shell.
i see... i guess in the end it will all depend on the rider weight and how good he hops. Because the legs and arms have to absorb your body weight upon landing and not the bike for a smooth land.

In our lingo.. we call your wheel taco as 'ocho' or the number 8 in spanish.... imagine a rim taco-ing to the extreme... forming a figure of 8.

last question.... what's a clydesdale? i know a section of the forums discussing about clydesdale but the thread is so long.. all i know is that you call a have biker a clydesdale...? is that right?
Old 06-21-06, 08:10 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by worker4youth
I thought your commuter was a litespeed..
Eh... with all the rain and wear and tear I got a giant ocr touring with full fenders and disc brakes...
Old 06-21-06, 08:47 PM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
best bunnyhop witnessed.
Ride up to a set of rollers, bunnyhop with sideways motion onto rollers
and just start riding them. . .

This would be tuff.
Old 06-22-06, 06:04 AM
cs124
Captain Surly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Railroad tracks & potholes all the time. A downed bike once in a race...the rider thanked me afterwards, for not crashing into his new frame!

Also the sideways hop to get on and off tram tracks is a skill all Melbourne roadies should have.
Old 06-22-06, 07:47 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
I'll pull the ocassional clipped-in bunny hop to get over a big crack or pothole, but usually I don't have to do anything too fancy.
+1

Last weekend, during a century ride with the bike club, I was at the front of the paceline as we approached a low elevation bridge. Just before the bridge was a frost rise in the road. I bunny-hopped over it at 22 MPH. The same for the next bridge which happened to be on my pull, as well.

Lots of times I bunny-hop over railroad tracks, sometimes quick hops over each rail; sometimes over the entire track at once, depending on my speed and what's on the other side.
Old 06-22-06, 08:25 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

[QUOTE=NoRacer]

Last weekend, during a century ride with the bike club, I was at the front of the paceline as we approached a low elevation bridge. Just before the bridge was a frost rise in the road. I bunny-hopped over it at 22 MPH. The same for the next bridge which happened to be on my pull, as well.

[QUOTE]

you bunny hopped an obstacle at the front of the paceline? This is a major no no. First, the guy behind you may not have time to react to bunnyhop it himself, Second, when you do the bunnyhop you're likely to slow the bike or push it back just a tad, setting up a wheel overlap situation (same reason not to stand in the paceline) Third, at the front you have the ability to see the obstacle and go around it.

Bunny hopping something while your in a tight pack or a paceline is an emergency manuever to be done as a last option.
Old 06-22-06, 09:04 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Follow-up question - anyone do nose wheelies?
Old 06-22-06, 10:16 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=merlinextraligh][QUOTE=NoRacer]

you bunny hopped an obstacle at the front of the paceline? This is a major no no. First, the guy behind you may not have time to react to bunnyhop it himself, Second, when you do the bunnyhop you're likely to slow the bike or push it back just a tad, setting up a wheel overlap situation (same reason not to stand in the paceline) Third, at the front you have the ability to see the obstacle and go around it.

Bunny hopping something while your in a tight pack or a paceline is an emergency manuever to be done as a last option.
Sorry, neglected to mention that others already knew that the bump was there and where yelling "BUMP!" ahead of time. So, everyone behind me was already slowing and my hop was low enough that the impact to speed was minor.
Old 06-22-06, 10:23 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
There was a great clip of a rider hopping up onto the center divider and switching to the other side of a traffic circle in the tour de suisse recap coverage yesterday when he realized that side was shorter.
I saw that one too. Taped it, in fact. Bob Roll warned the viewing audience to "...don't try this at home."
Old 06-22-06, 10:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
I saw that one too. Taped it, in fact. Bob Roll warned the viewing audience to "...don't try this at home."
I think I might have that on Tivo. How far into the race was that?
Old 06-22-06, 10:27 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I might have that on Tivo. How far into the race was that?
It was near the beginning during the recaps of the other stages.
Old 06-22-06, 10:28 AM
profkrispy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

Wish I had had the forethought to do that about 10 days ago. I was on a group ride with 30 or 35 riders, going about 20 mph when someone in front of me overlapped a wheel in front of them and went down. I heard a scream, saw bikes scissors in front of me, hit the brakes (my bike stopped!), apparently flipped and landed on my right shoulder breaking the collarbone right next to the shoulder. It required a plate and some screws. Not sure how my left hand broke at the same time but it needed two pins for about 6 weeks. A plate, some screws, some pins, and some staples to clip the incision shut, heck, I could have stopped at Lowe's on the way home.

I'm not sure if I could have bunnyhopped the mess in front of me. Might have been worth a try in hindsight. Oh well. A few months and I'll be back riding.
Old 06-22-06, 11:24 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by profkrispy
I'm not sure if I could have bunnyhopped the mess in front of me. Might have been worth a try in hindsight. Oh well. A few months and I'll be back riding.
Bunnyhopping downed riders is an all or nothing strategy. If you don't clear em, its going to be one heck of a fall. (and there's always the risk they raise up.) If you just jam on the brakes, you at least minimize impact speed. Unfortunately there's no time to reflect, and hindsight is 20-20.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.