Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dear Road Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dear Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 10:31 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Dear Road Bike

Dear Road Bike,
You know I love you. I've loved you since the day I first saw you in 1987. Your Cannondale Black Lightning body, your matching parts, your golden highlights set my heart afire as they always have. Didn't I ride you 100K this weekend? Don't I buy you new tires at the slightest hint?
But I know you are wondering where I am during the week.
I confess.
That Red Cannondale F500 mountain bike you room with? Lost a lotta weight recently, no? The light wheels, the 1" Tom Slicks, the new 12-23 cluster.
I'm sure you noticed the new chain too.
Well, I guess you know who bought the chain. I guess you know who I've been riding to work every day.
It's not that things between us have changed, it's just that I've gotten older. I like -- maybe need -- a little suspension in the morning, in a way I didn't twenty years ago.
So, yes damn it, I'm riding to work every day, from now on, with Red. A cushy, quick, practical ride with a back pack.
But we'll still have the weekends, won't we? It's just that I have so many miles to give.
I knew you'd understand.
Yours forever,
Curtis
Old 03-10-07, 10:35 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have you been drinking?
Old 03-10-07, 10:37 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Either that, or he needs to start drinking.
Old 03-10-07, 10:42 PM
M_S

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I use your cannondale during the week?
Old 03-10-07, 10:46 PM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well at least this thread is a little different
Old 03-10-07, 10:48 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Have you been drinking?
You ask that like it might be a bad thing...
Old 03-10-07, 11:15 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have but this thread is plain odd...
Old 03-10-07, 11:26 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen it all before. The willingness to try new things, the weight loss, the spring in your step. You project new found self confidence and a sense of well being. You've suddenly developed a happy go lucky, bluebird on your shoulder attitude (even when you're drinking).

It can only mean one thing. It's only a matter of time... and don't deny it. Your apologies are a thinly veiled cover for your real desires. You've got your eyes on another. Admit it!. A new favorite. The dream machine. The one that up until now was unobtainable but you've known all your life you were meant to be with and now you must have it. The custom build "where have you been all my life" bike.

Life is short. Go get it. Happy trails!
Old 03-11-07, 12:37 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome post.
Old 03-11-07, 05:31 AM
doraemonkey
Senior Membre

Bikes: '87 Cannondale Team Comp, 98 Cannondale F900, 08 Bike Friday Tikit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! That is cool!

I've never thought about writing a "dear John" letter to my bike, but I find myself in an uncannily similar situation.

My first bike, that I bought with my own money earned from mowing lawns was a '87 Cannondale team comp (mowing lawns didn't get me enough for the Black Lightning). It was my first mechanical love, and I still have it. All the parts have been changed through out the years, and it is antequated compared to today's carbonfibre steeds, but I still have a fondness for it in my heart. At the time, Aluminum was the way to go to get the lightest and fastest bike out there. It took me to high-school, and the priority was on getting there the fastest, and being the first up the hills. In college, it was the same bike that would take me through 100+ km races on Sundays. We trained together for 10 hours a week if we weren't to be dropped frome the peleton.

Fast was good, but it was twitchy and the thin tires got flats and the rims got bent. Now, the Team Comp is resting in the basement while, my other Cannondale, a F900 does all the work. Bought again, as the coolest thing that I could afford to get me over rocks, mud and trails, it is now bringing me to work everyday. Some 1.5 inch Schwalbe Marathons help get me there quickly and reliably, only one pinch flat in two and a half years. A son Dynamo hub and Schmidt halogen backed with a Cateye LD1000 light the way through the darkness and lead me safely to the place that pays the bills.

The arc of my love affair with bicycles so far has gone from sexy lust, to rugged and tough, to practical. Next stop midlife crisis...
Old 03-11-07, 06:47 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
It's not that things between us have changed, it's just that I've gotten older. I like -- maybe need -- a little suspension in the morning, in a way I didn't twenty years ago.
A little suspension in the morning?? Now that's weird.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-11-07, 07:08 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
A little suspension in the morning?? Now that's weird.
Umm, I think most of us twenty years later have enough padding to make that 'suspension' unnecessary .

East Hill
Old 03-11-07, 08:37 AM
turtleguy54

Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Dear Road Bike,
You know I love you. I've loved you since the day I first saw you in 1987. Your Cannondale Black Lightning body, your matching parts, your golden highlights set my heart afire as they always have. Didn't I ride you 100K this weekend? Don't I buy you new tires at the slightest hint?
But I know you are wondering where I am during the week.
I confess.
That Red Cannondale F500 mountain bike you room with? Lost a lotta weight recently, no? The light wheels, the 1" Tom Slicks, the new 12-23 cluster.
I'm sure you noticed the new chain too.
Well, I guess you know who bought the chain. I guess you know who I've been riding to work every day.
So, yes damn it, I'm riding to work every day, from now on, with Red. A cushy, quick, practical ride with a back pack.
But we'll still have the weekends, won't we? It's just that I have so many miles to give.
I knew you'd understand.
Yours forever,
Curtis

My Dear Curtis,

The drips of chain lube on the carpet as I read this are not drips of sadness, but drips of joy! Effie and I have been trying to find a way to tell you that--well, that we love each other. We love you too Curtis. Yes, you could say we are Bi-bikes.

It is great that you have given Effie a make over and now give her some ride. Hadn't you noticed how harsh I was with you at times. This was so you would share yourself with her also. So, ride her on those wet mornings (she was always the one that liked to play dirty). I will anticipate our time on the weekends when you pump my tires hard and ride me fast.

If you don't mind being kept by two lesbian bikes who also love you, we can have a beautiful threesome together. You have made us so happy our forks are all a quiver.

Your's and her's always
Blackie
Old 03-11-07, 08:45 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
Awesome post.
+1
Old 03-11-07, 09:58 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best thread ever.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 03-11-07, 11:03 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
Best thread ever.
Ya Think? IMO, 100% FOO-FOO FLUFF and Fodder for the Foo List. Though cross posting on the 50Plus list seems appropriate; many posters there like stuff like this.
Old 03-11-07, 11:15 AM
roadron1
Roadron1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is so cooool . may you three ride forever.