Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How complicated is it to replace a crankset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 04:02 PM
chrisesposito

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The extent of my mechanical skills and experience has been to change tires, replace / remove chains, and change rear cassettes. I have an FSA compact crank & BB on one of my bikes and I would like to put powercranks on there periodically for training, returning to the compact for non-trainer riding.

How complicated a task is this, and what tools will I need?

Thanks,
Old 03-28-07, 05:17 PM
the royal 'we'
Batteries not included.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it sorta depends which type of FSA compact cranks you have... there are some with the semi-integrated MegaExo BB, and others that use the ISIS style.

If you have the integrated style BB, it'd be a huge PITA since you'd have to completely remove the BB, put a standard BB style in, and then attach the Powercranks, and make sure to get everything back in adjustment again. And then do the reverse to switch back. Can't really give you a more specific answer, since the tools involved depend on what sort of replacement BB you choose, in addition to the special spanner wrench for the MegaExo.

If you have the ISIS type, you've lucked out and all you need is an allen wrench to remove the bolts, pull the cranks off, put the new ones on and put the bolts back in. (That is, of course, assuming that you buy the Powercranks with the right style to match the existing ISIS BB.)
Old 03-28-07, 05:54 PM
Illah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my cranks went to hell last year I replaced the entire BB and crankset without much trouble. The tutorials on the Park Tool website are super-detailed and got me through the job perfectly (had never done it before). Took me a couple hours but I wanted to make sure I got it right the first time around, I'm sure you could actually do it in an hour or so if you wanted to.

It might take some time to do everything, but it's not exceptionally difficult - it'd be a somewhat similar type of job to the cassette/hub so if you can handle that it shouldn't be a major pain.

--Illah
Old 03-28-07, 07:03 PM
chrisesposito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's an ISIS BB, so it looks like I've lucked out.
Old 03-28-07, 07:05 PM
chrisesposito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Illah
When my cranks went to hell last year I replaced the entire BB and crankset without much trouble. The tutorials on the Park Tool website are super-detailed and got me through the job perfectly (had never done it before). Took me a couple hours but I wanted to make sure I got it right the first time around, I'm sure you could actually do it in an hour or so if you wanted to.

It might take some time to do everything, but it's not exceptionally difficult - it'd be a somewhat similar type of job to the cassette/hub so if you can handle that it shouldn't be a major pain.

--Illah
I'm not sure I knew that Park Tools had videos; I'll have to look at this one. Thanks.
Old 03-28-07, 09:13 PM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisesposito
I'm not sure I knew that Park Tools had videos; I'll have to look at this one. Thanks.

they aren't, its a written tutorial with really good pictures that actually help.