Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pro Bike Kit???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21, 06:07 AM
Jared Purdy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pro Bike Kit???

Greetings,

Anyone have any dealings with this UK based, on-line bike shop? If so, how was it?

Cheers.
Old 12-25-21, 06:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
They are legit, as are Wiggle/Chain Reaction and Merlin. Never had an issue with any of them. If you are buying clothing, be prepared to eat it if you occasionally order the wrong size. Cost of shipping makes returns not worthwhile.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-25-21, 06:21 AM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
They are legit, as are Wiggle/Chain Reaction and Merlin. Never had an issue with any of them. If you are buying clothing, be prepared to eat it if you occasionally order the wrong size. Cost of shipping makes returns not worthwhile.
Thanks. I've ordered from Merlin, Chainreactoin, totalcycling and bike-components.de, all without issue. On the 11th of this month I ordered something from probikekit and there has been no movement on it since the 15. It was apparently picked up on the 13th and shipped by Fed Ex Cross Border. On their web site, since the 15th it has displayed "routed to destination". On the linked Canada Post site, it's in Madrid, Spain. Why it was sent there in the first place is any one's guess?
Old 12-25-21, 06:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Bummer. Probably seasonal shipping disruption rather than something PBK did or did not do. Hopefully will be sorted in a week or two.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-25-21, 06:51 AM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bummer. Probably seasonal shipping disruption rather than something PBK did or did not do. Hopefully will be sorted in a week or two.
Fingers crossed. I'm not worried about getting my money back. I paid for it with Royal Bank VISA, and their third part credit default claim is fantastic. I just want the shifters!!
Likes For Jared Purdy:
Old 12-25-21, 09:39 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared Purdy
Thanks. I've ordered from Merlin, Chainreactoin, totalcycling and bike-components.de, all without issue. On the 11th of this month I ordered something from probikekit and there has been no movement on it since the 15. It was apparently picked up on the 13th and shipped by Fed Ex Cross Border. On their web site, since the 15th it has displayed "routed to destination". On the linked Canada Post site, it's in Madrid, Spain. Why it was sent there in the first place is any one's guess?
Your beef is with the carriers, The vendor shipped it.
Apparently you're unfamiliar with the current global supply chain and shipping issues.
Old 12-25-21, 10:23 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
I have ordered a number of things from them, most recently a wheelset that arrived within 5 days.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-25-21, 11:12 AM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Your beef is with the carriers, The vendor shipped it.
Apparently you're unfamiliar with the current global supply chain and shipping issues.
Pretentious? What's abundantly clear is that you didn't read my other comments regarding the multiple other items I ordered from UK based sellers, before and after I placed the order with probikekit. All of those orders arrived within 7-10 days of placing the order. It's not too late to do seething different before the end of 2021, something that will actually improve your life: read, and stop being pretentious.
Likes For Jared Purdy:
Old 12-25-21, 11:17 AM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I have ordered a number of things from them, most recently a wheelset that arrived within 5 days.
Well, I don't expect five day delivery to Canada, even at the best of times. However, it was been on stuck at the same place for ten days now. Madrid, of all places! In that same time period, bike-compents.de delivered to my door in seven days after placing the order, and that order was placed three days after I placed the order with probikekit. That's record breaking.

As I mentioned in earlier comments in this thread, all of the other orders I placed with UK based sellers over the same time period arrived in 10 days. I'm not buying the argument that it's pandemic related. If that was the case, the seven or eight other items I ordered, mostly from the UK, would have suffered the same problem. None of them did. Pro Bike Kit UK and USA are apparently looking into it. I'll be sure to provide an update.
Old 12-25-21, 12:21 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
have ordered from them maybe two dozen times over the last two decades. various clothing items and tires are my purchased items. have ordered from them twice during the pandemic (flash sale conti gp5000 tires both times) and the tires arrived both times in a reasonable amount of time…like in less than a week to california. two or three times over the years, a shipment got caught up and took over a week. one time, delivery took exactly a month. fortunately, that item (a rain jacket) wasn’t essential as it was a vanity replacement…a better looking rain jacket to replace one that was still 100% functional. the pricing has been competitive and that one, loong delivery experience didn’t dissuade me from ordering from them multiple times since then.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-25-21, 12:35 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Ditto. The only issue I have had ordering from any of them was a lost Shimano compatible, Campy freehub that was lost in shipping. That was with CRC, not there fault, they immediately shipped out a replacement. I am a bit hesitant to purchase apparel, unless I have experience with the item and am sure of the fit. However, that does not always work out, and so, one is taking a chance on purchasing.

IME, PBK has the best pricing on a lot of items, especially wheel sets. That can be an issue if there is a warranty problem.
Old 12-25-21, 12:54 PM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
have ordered from them maybe two dozen times over the last two decades. various clothing items and tires are my purchased items. have ordered from them twice during the pandemic (flash sale conti gp5000 tires both times) and the tires arrived both times in a reasonable amount of time…like in less than a week to california. two or three times over the years, a shipment got caught up and took over a week. one time, delivery took exactly a month. fortunately, that item (a rain jacket) wasn’t essential as it was a vanity replacement…a better looking rain jacket to replace one that was still 100% functional. the pricing has been competitive and that one, loong delivery experience didn’t dissuade me from ordering from them multiple times since then.
Most of the replies that I've read have been positive. That being said, I posted a question about this on a Colnago FB owner's group, and there were a few dissenters, with very negative experiences. I'd say 95% of people responding to my question have been positive, so that's encouraging. It just seemed really off, that, as I mentioned, I've ordered a number of items, all in the same time frame, mostly from the UK (two from Germany and three from the US) and all arrived in roughly 7-10 days, with the US deliveries taking two weeks.
Old 12-25-21, 02:07 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
As stated above, I think the issue is with the shippers, rather than the seller. I have had the same thing happen, delays due to the overseas shipping and not being able to track the items. I have had the same issue with the USPS numerous times. That includes a package that the USPS declared lost, ok'ed placing a claim, only to get an e-mail the very next morning that the item had shipped, same morning, from the same distribution center that it had last been scanned one month before. It arrived the next day. I am not a very patient person, but have accepted that in these times, these things are going to happen.
Old 12-25-21, 02:46 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
As I mentioned in earlier comments in this thread, all of the other orders I placed with UK based sellers over the same time period arrived in 10 days. I'm not buying the argument that it's pandemic related. If that was the case, the seven or eight other items I ordered, mostly from the UK, would have suffered the same problem. None of them did. Pro Bike Kit UK and USA are apparently looking into it. I'll be sure to provide an update.
In receiving other non bike related international shipments I've run across a few recently that have seemed to become stuck at customs points. I haven't had this happen until the last year or so but have seen 4 or 5 since then. It seems to be random. All but one eventually arrived. One that I was paying close attention to showed in online tracking as being at the customs point until the day it was delivered. Whether it's pandemic related or not I can't say, but shipping has been somewhat abnormal lately. I'd suspect staffing issues play a role.
Old 12-25-21, 08:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Pretentious? What's abundantly clear is that you didn't read my other comments regarding the multiple other items I ordered from UK based sellers, before and after I placed the order with probikekit. All of those orders arrived within 7-10 days of placing the order. .
I read those, but this very clearly:
On the 11th of this month I ordered something from probikekit and there has been no movement on it since the 15. It was apparently picked up on the 13th and shipped by Fed Ex Cross Border. it's in Madrid, Spain

The vendor shipped the order within days during the busiest time of the year, any delays after that are with the carrier. Other orders you placed with other vendors really have no bearing on what can, or will happen, to a different package in the worldwide package stream. The fact is the vendor has no control over the package once it's in the carriers hand. They do have control over service with their customer, as well as additional resources with the shipper based on being the shippers customer, but they really can't do anything about how or where a package currently "in route" moves.

Last edited by dedhed; 12-26-21 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-26-21, 02:41 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I ordered from them many times when I lived in NJ and had no issues. You ordered at the absolute worst time of the year AND it's across an ocean. If I had placed an overseas order 14 days before Christmas and got it before New Years I would have considered myself lucky. And the instant the item is picked up by the carrier it's out of PBK's hands. They did their job.
Old 12-26-21, 07:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I read those, but this very clearly:
On the 11th of this month I ordered something from probikekit and there has been no movement on it since the 15. It was apparently picked up on the 13th and shipped by Fed Ex Cross Border. it's in Madrid, Spain

The vendor shipped the order within days during the busiest time of the year, any delays after that are with the carrier. Other orders you placed with other vendors really have no bearing on what can, or will happen, to a different package in the worldwide package stream. The fact is the vendor has no control over the package once it's in the carriers hand. They do have control over service with their customer, as well as additional resources with the shipper based on being the shippers customer, but they really can't do anything about how or where a package currently "in route" moves.
Maybe. If we assume the package for OP has his correct address on it. Or, if PBK is supposed to sort it's outgoing shipments by regional destination (eg. North America vs Europe vs Asia) and accidentally put OP's package in a Europe bin. etc..
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-26-21, 08:00 AM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe. If we assume the package for OP has his correct address on it. Or, if PBK is supposed to sort it's outgoing shipments by regional destination (eg. North America vs Europe vs Asia) and accidentally put OP's package in a Europe bin. etc..
It's anyone's guess at this point. As per this morning, still no movement. Stuck in Madrid, Spain for some reason. 11 days at the same location and counting......
Old 12-26-21, 08:32 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
I've got dozens and dozens of orders from the European sources over the years. Rarely has PBK been fast but they have seemed to have gotten better. Still historically for me, their shipments (carriers used) seem to take the longest. Just the nature of the beast, so when I order from them I just expect things to take weeks and then am happy the few times they come in quickly.
Old 12-26-21, 08:33 AM
Jared Purdy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I've got dozens and dozens of orders from the European sources over the years. Rarely has PBK been fast but they have seemed to have gotten better. Still historically for me, their shipments (carriers used) seem to take the longest. Just the nature of the beast, so when I order from them I just expect things to take weeks and then am happy the few times they come in quickly.
Hmm, well that's reassuring. Sort of.
Old 12-26-21, 10:18 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Great exchange, full of fun, mystery and intrigue!
Old 12-26-21, 11:15 AM
Deep0527

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered from them many times when I lived in NJ and had no issues. You ordered at the absolute worst time of the year AND it's across an ocean.
Old 12-26-21, 08:51 PM
posse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Legit by me. Ordered tires 12/15, received them in Pittsburgh on 12/20.
Old 12-26-21, 11:31 PM
Deep0527

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the issue is with the shippers, rather than the seller. I have had the same thing happen, delays due to the overseas shipping and not being able to track the items.
Likes For Deep0527:
Old 12-27-21, 06:53 AM
SuperRichard

Bikes: Look 765 Optimum, Look 765 RS Gravel, Peugeot PX 10

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Greetings,

Anyone have any dealings with this UK based, on-line bike shop? If so, how was it?

Cheers.
I have had several good dealings with these folks. I found the shipping quite quick, in fact I received my goods in 3 days. I don't think is fair to flame them for a shipping SNAFU in the current environment.
Likes For SuperRichard:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.